Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,623 members, 7,816,565 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder (3766 Views)

UK Tourist Visa Refusal - Green Card Holder / Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria / Tips And Advices For New Green Card Holder Relocating To The Maryland Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by avent: 6:23pm On Jul 02, 2011
Am a green card holder,am despirately looking for a job in a,i came in January and ever since have been looking for a job, am masters holder from nigeria but am ready to do any menial job,am so fraustrated rite now,all i need is a job ANY JOB.thanks.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by denzel2009: 6:27pm On Jul 02, 2011
Check out http://chicago.craigslist.org/ you should be able to get something from there.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 02, 2011
try employment agencies,
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by avent: 7:12pm On Jul 02, 2011
denzel2009:

Check out http://chicago.craigslist.org/ you should be able to get something from there.

Thanks for your quick response but you wont belive have been sending my resume and applying in this website since january,so also indeed.com but have never being lucky to land a job,once again thank you.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by avent: 7:13pm On Jul 02, 2011
mohumyta:

try employment agencies,

Thanks for your concern but i dont know any employment agency.

1 Like

Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 02, 2011
i'm sure the problem is American job experience,just Google employment agency in Chicago and try to build your resume to any specific job opportunities they have.

http://www.esquirestaffing.com/

http://www.kellyservices.com/web/global/services/en/pages/index.html

http://www.lakeshorestaffing.com/
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by denzel2009: 7:25pm On Jul 02, 2011
and you need the Holy Grail of resume writing
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by claremont(m): 7:30pm On Jul 02, 2011
I could be wrong, but I believe with your green card you are eligible to join the US Marine Corps or any branch of the US Army. Have you thought about this option, or is age no longer on your side?!
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by avent: 8:13pm On Jul 02, 2011
Thanks you all for your response,
mohumyta:

i'm sure the problem is American job experience,just Google employment agency in Chicago and try to build your resume to any specific job opportunities they have.

http://www.esquirestaffing.com/

http://www.kellyservices.com/web/global/services/en/pages/index.html

http://www.lakeshorestaffing.com/
thanks for the links
claremont:

I could be wrong, but I believe with your green card you are eligible to join the US Marine Corps or any branch of the US Army. Have you thought about this option, or is age no longer on your side?!
Am 29 years old but,i dont want to go to afganinistan or iraq to diie,so us marine is out of it,thanks for your concern i really appreciate it
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by omega25red(m): 8:16pm On Jul 02, 2011
avent:

Thanks for your quick response but you wont belive have been sending my resume and applying in this website since january,so also indeed.com but have never being lucky to land a job,once again thank you.
like some other people mentioned here you need resume writing help. you can go to any community centers in chicago like the ymca and see if they can provide free help regarding resumes. also if i were you since it seems like you dont have any work history in America, i would look for paid internships in your feild. That way you get work experience in your feild you develop a work history in the u.s and you get paid.

Hey one thing i also know is social services are always hiring in america so check this site:

http://www.socialservice.com/search_result.cfm?RequestTimeout=500

they post new jobs on that site everyday so i wish you the best
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by claremont(m): 8:17pm On Jul 02, 2011
avent:

Thanks you all for your response,thanks for the linksAm 29 years old but,i dont want to go to afganinistan or iraq to diie,so us marine is out of it,thanks for your concern i really appreciate it
Guy, with your qualifications you can choose which job you want to do in the US Marine Corps, not necessarily the infantry. If I was in your shoes with a green card, I will not hesitate to sign up, it's up to you though.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Digriz(m): 8:47pm On Jul 02, 2011
This might make a sense if your in Dakota bt u cn still try u are luck in that state
http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage/lp/story/us/179547/coke.bp%3B_ylt=A2KIP7zYdA9OvSwAQg8p89w4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTFyNWQyam5wBGNwb3MDMQRjc2VjA21vYmlsZS10ZARpbnRsA3VzBHBrZwNpZC0xNzk1NDcEcG9zAzIEc2xrA3RpdGxl?ref_w=frontdoors&view=today&.tsrc=yahoo&.intl=us&.lang=en
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by avent: 9:09pm On Jul 02, 2011
omega25red:

like some other people mentioned here you need resume writing help. you can go to any community centers in chicago like the ymca and see if they can provide free help regarding resumes. also if i were you since it seems like you dont have any work history in America, i would look for paid internships in your feild. That way you get work experience in your feild you develop a work history in the u.s and you get paid.

Hey one thing i also know is social services are always hiring in america so check this site:

http://www.socialservice.com/search_result.cfm?RequestTimeout=500

they post new jobs on that site everyday so i wish you the best
Thanks i just registered now,hope something good comes up from here,thanks for your detailed response.
Digriz:

This might make a sense if your in Dakota bt u cn still try u are luck in that state
http://m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage/lp/story/us/179547/coke.bp%3B_ylt=A2KIP7zYdA9OvSwAQg8p89w4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTFyNWQyam5wBGNwb3MDMQRjc2VjA21vYmlsZS10ZARpbnRsA3VzBHBrZwNpZC0xNzk1NDcEcG9zAzIEc2xrA3RpdGxl?ref_w=frontdoors&view=today&.tsrc=yahoo&.intl=us&.lang=en
Thaks bro,it far from my base.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Bossman(m): 3:21am On Jul 03, 2011
Where in Chicago are you? As for menial jobs, you should be able to find something. If you have IL drivers license already, have you considered driving a cab. I know you have degrees from Naija, but those will likely not hold ground here. So, you should try to get any job you can, while you try to prepare yourself for a professional job. Not sure what your current degrees are in or what your interest are. Bottom line you have to either go to school here, or get solid US experience before you can even be considered for a professional job.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2011
Bossman:

Where in Chicago are you? As for menial jobs, you should be able to find something. If you have IL drivers license already, have you considered driving a cab. I know you have degrees from Naija, but those will likely not hold ground here

Says who?
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by avent: 8:43pm On Jul 03, 2011
Bossman:

Where in Chicago are you? As for menial jobs, you should be able to find something. If you have IL drivers license already, have you considered driving a cab. I know you have degrees from Naija, but those will likely not hold ground here. So, you should try to get any job you can, while you try to prepare yourself for a professional job. Not sure what your current degrees are in or what your interest are. Bottom line you have to either go to school here, or get solid US experience before you can even be considered for a professional job.

yes i have a licence but finding my way around will be difficulty if i try to drive a cab,i get lost easily,am in south chicago not far from downtown.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by OneONYX: 9:08pm On Jul 03, 2011
Dude, my advice for you is to go back to school and get a second Masters degree or Ph.D (esp if you're in the sciences and engineering). There are tons of scholarships available and you also qualify for FAFSA since you're a citizen. I understand that you want to get your feet on the ground and start moving forward, but on the long term I think your best option is to find a very good Masters program and enroll.
I don't think people here give a siht about your Masters degree from Nigeria, you'll have to prove yourself in their system before they consider you for the type of job you want. I'm sure you'll get a menial job soon, but keep further education in mind. All the best!
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Bossman(m): 2:05pm On Jul 04, 2011
What are your current degrees in? Unless they are in some really needed skill, it's very unlikely you can use them here. You will have to go to school and earn a degree from here to improve your chances. Also, try to network with some of the other Nigerians around there. Most of them are in the North/South side of Chicago. I am in the NW suburbs, however I do work downtown though.

avent:

yes i have a licence but finding my way around will be difficulty if i try to drive a cab,i get lost easily,am in south chicago not far from downtown.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by denzel2009: 2:09pm On Jul 04, 2011
I heard North Dakota has more than enough jobs. Have you considered relocating?
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by avent: 2:55pm On Jul 04, 2011
denzel2009:

I heard North Dakota has more than enough jobs. Have you considered relocating?
Am actually considering going to dallas,texas but i want to get a job first,i dont have anybody in north dakota,thanks for the advice
Bossman:

What are your current degrees in? Unless they are in some really needed skill, it's very unlikely you can use them here. You will have to go to school and earn a degree from here to improve your chances. Also, try to network with some of the other Nigerians around there. Most of them are in the North/South side of Chicago. I am in the NW suburbs, however I do work downtown though.

my first degree is political science and a masters in peace and conflict studies,am looking for a survival job pending the time i will go back to school,any job will do,i met few people in church but its same story everywhere.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by omega25red(m): 7:46pm On Jul 04, 2011
avent:

GPS!

avent:

Thanks i just registered now,hope something good comes up from here,thanks for your detailed response.Thaks bro,it far from my base.
Registering alone is not all there is to that site you have to visit it daily and copy the email or fax number so you can send your cover letter and resume. Also every city has the major news paper that post jobs on sunday e.g ny times or washington post. these two papers post jobs for their respective cities i dont know what such news paper will be in chi town but the sunday paper always has tons of jobs
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 04, 2011
avent:

Am actually considering going to dallas,texas but i want to get a job first,i dont have anybody in north dakota,thanks for the advicemy first degree is political science and a masters in peace and conflict studies,am looking for a survival job pending the time i will go back to school,any job will do,i met few people in church but its same story everywhere.

My brother, to be honest with you, I think the courses which you studied for 1st and 2nd degrees are somewhat irrelevant to the current trends all over the world, including U.S.A, I will suggest you go back to school, and get a more sought after degree, or you can enroll in any professional certification program that is needed in U.S.A
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Bossman(m): 8:30pm On Jul 04, 2011
I suspect he is aware of that already. May be he can use those as a stepping stone to get into law school. I suspect he will still have to enroll in some undergraduate program and get a degree here in the US in order to be able to even do that. Just like you already plan on doing, work hard to try to get any job, then work your way up from there. Best of luck!

mobuch:

My brother, to be honest with you, I think the courses which you studied for 1st and 2nd degrees are somewhat irrelevant to the current trends all over the world, including U.S.A, I will suggest you go back to school, and get a more sought after degree, or you can enroll in any professional certification program that is needed in U.S.A
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by JagaJaga1: 1:50am On Jul 05, 2011
@mobuch Are you still in Norway. I'll like to know how long it took for you to get your study permit to Norway.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by oyewolejos(m): 3:32am On Jul 05, 2011
my first degree is political science and a masters in peace and conflict studies,am looking for a survival job pending the time i will go back to school,any job will do,i met few people in church but its same story everywhere.

I think your best bet is to get into the Military not necessarily Marines. The Air force and the Navy is something that might interests you considering your qualification. You have an opportunity to go to the best school for free since you are in the Military. They have the best benefits package in the whole USA. Evaluate your transcripts from Nigeria and talk to a recruiter.
Moving around doing menial jobs in this century for a Master Degree holder is kinda awkward when u have all what it takes to do better.
Don't limit yourself and going to war doesn't mean u gonna die. Everybody will die at his/her own time.
Moreover Iraq or Afghan is better than living in downtown Chicago which is one of the top violent cities in the US.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by claremont(m): 4:19am On Jul 05, 2011
I suggested the military to him before and he said he didn't want to go and die in Iraq and Afghanistan. You can either go back to school or join the military; going for the menial job option will only lead to a rat race and at the end of the day you will end up wasting your career.

1 Like

Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 05, 2011
Jaga Jaga:

@mobuch Are you still in Norway. I'll like to know how long it took for you to get your study permit to Norway.

@Jagajaga

when I left Nigeria 2years ago, it took me 3months to get my residence permit in Norway from Nigeria
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by omega25red(m): 1:34pm On Jul 05, 2011
To all those suggesting the military, which one of you would actually enlist right now? Just because things are though for the poster doesn't mean he has to sign up for something he doesn't want to do. If it were me that would be the last last last resort
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by JagaJaga1: 2:36pm On Jul 05, 2011
@mobuch from what i can understand from your posts you applied on May 12, are you saying your permit was given to you on Aug 12. I am asking these questions because i applied on June 1 and my school resumes on Aug 8 which means that udi has to process my permit in 2 months. During your time, were you interviewed at the embassy and what questions were you asked at the point of entry.

Lastly, i'll like to know if you are still in Norway and what you have been doing since the conclusion of your MSc program.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by denzel2009: 3:22pm On Jul 05, 2011
omega25red:

To all those suggesting the military, which one of you would actually enlist right now? Just because things are though for the poster doesn't mean he has to sign up for something he doesn't want to do. If it were me that would be the last last last resort
One thing you have to realise is that not everyone that work in the Military are sent to war. For example, he can work for DoD as an administrator or in other capacities, the benefit of this is that he automatically gets security clearance which would eventually open more doors for him in future.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by avent: 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2011
Thank you all for taking out of your precious time to advice,military is out of it and am already thinking of going to pharmacy school or get a nursing degree,am just looking for a menial job to keep body and soul together at least for now,once again thank you all.
Re: Any Nairalander In Chicago That Can Help With Any Job For Green Card Holder by buzugee(m): 6:42pm On Jul 06, 2011
bros drive a cab. this is the only type of job you can revolve around your studies. its easy really. just imagine tthat you divide chicago into north and south. well the divider will be madison avenue. anything above that is north and anything below that is south. then divide the city into east and west using state street. anything west of that is incrementally west and east of that is incrementally east. so basically madison avenue is 0 and state street is 0. as simple as that. plus you can pull in 800 bucks tax free a week easily.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do They Allow Social Visa/tourist Visa In Malaysia Now / Any Nairaland In Moscow Russia / U S A Visa Made Easy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.