Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,302 members, 7,819,022 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

My Sac Yam Diary - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Sac Yam Diary (41441 Views)

We Will Be Having Our Recap Of Yam Sac-farming Webinar By 8:00 PM On This Thread / How To Hatch Eggs Easily (stripping, Fertilization, Milt Sac Removal) 2021 / Have You Seen This Colour Of Catfish Sperm Sac Before? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 10:01am On Mar 26, 2022
I decided to try out planting yam in sacs this year. This is supposed to be a test so I'd plan for the next year.

On the 12th of February, We started filling Sac with soil.
The soil was from previously used mounds in which they had planted sweet potatoes.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 10:12am On Mar 26, 2022
I paid some guys on site to help me do that at the rate of ₦1,500 for 50 bags

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 10:25am On Mar 26, 2022
Prior to filling the sacs I bought 100 pieces of seedlings from a canteen owner around the area.
That's what I intended to plant with.

And on the 13th, I started planting into some of the sacs that had been filled

8 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 10:33am On Mar 26, 2022
Each one I planted, I mulched to prevent water from directly hitting the soil, parting it and exposing the yam seedlings.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 10:34am On Mar 26, 2022
Please note that I used dry grass and they were still in excess at the time of the year
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 11:13am On Mar 26, 2022
I planted about 50 that week. Tried to get them to fill the remaining sacs so that I could be done with my planting on time but they kept delaying for some reasons. They filled 30 sacs again then the sacs finished...
Meanwhile, I made sure to water the ones I already planted every three to four days

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 11:17am On Mar 26, 2022
On the 21st of February, work took me away from home to Adamawa.
I made sure to arrange watering with someone else which she did regularly for a week before emergency moved her away from the area too...

Still tried to get someone else to water them but I can't really be sure how often it was done

6 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 11:25am On Mar 26, 2022
The remaining seedlings were planted after about two weeks and some of them had begun to rot according to what I was told.
This is the result of not seeing things through by yourself

13 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 11:33am On Mar 26, 2022
Fast-forward to 20th of March when I came back home... And I was met with some surprises ...
At least a little something to smile about

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 11:38am On Mar 26, 2022
That's after about 36 days, some of the seedlings have germinated and are coming out

Today the 26th of March, I did a little weeding. Picking out the weeds from the sacs... It's way easier than weeding the conventional land farm

10 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 11:40am On Mar 26, 2022
Those that had insufficient dry grass cover, I repaired and rearranged the covers.
None will take care of your things like yourself...

Fingers crossed to see what happens in the next couple of weeks

13 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 3:16pm On Mar 26, 2022
Anyone who wants to get into it should give it a try too

8 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Hatesin: 7:38pm On Mar 26, 2022
orogodoganyin:
Anyone who wants to get into it should give it a try too

Very interesting.
I planted about 22 bags last week but I have not been watering them ooo! Hope they wunt rot?

4 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by iFESTAC680(m): 8:13pm On Mar 26, 2022
Wow good innovation.
But what do you intend to achieve with this?

2 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 8:32pm On Mar 26, 2022
Hatesin:

Very interesting.
I planted about 22 bags last week but I have not been watering them ooo! Hope they wunt rot?

you should try to water them from time to time till rain becomes frequent. they might not rot but they will take longer to germinate

2 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 8:34pm On Mar 26, 2022
iFESTAC680:
Wow good innovation.
But what do you intend to achieve with this?

if they do well, it means I don't have to worry about having acres of land to plant yam... A plot might take 500 or more seedlings, and in the comfort of my surroundings

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 7:59am On Mar 27, 2022
This morning, I went to my sacs again to make holes in the sacs. These holes are to prevent waterlogging when the rain becomes more frequent. They were made close to the bottom of the sacs.
It's probably better to make them at the beginning while the sacs were still being arranged.
It's not as easy now, because of the proximity of the sacs with each other but I still had to.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 9:30pm On Mar 27, 2022
It's probably till weekend again before I go to check up on them... But watering will continue

I'm actually thinking of adding 50 more by weekend
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 9:37am On Apr 01, 2022
Visited the site yesterday and noticed the person in charge of watering hadn't been there this week... we agreed on watering twice or thrice weekly... when I confronted him, he claimed his target was to water on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
I told him I want it on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday... In the end, He agreed he'd start all over on Friday, which is today. I hope he keeps to his words
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 9:38am On Apr 01, 2022
About adding an extra 50 sacs to the farm, he has filled 22 sacs with soil. there's a bit of sac shortage. should be seen through by the weekend cos that's when I intend to plant.

4 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 11:55am On Apr 03, 2022
I had to go do some farm labour myself this morning... The guy in charge of watering traveled for the fasting period..

He only filled 22 sacs with soil which I planted this morning

I hope he outsourced the contract to someone else who's around. I'll go check in the evening

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 12:09pm On Apr 03, 2022
Anyway, I did watering and a bit of weeding too...
If you're looking to do this, be aware that some some small reptiles n amphibians cool off under the mulch or within the shade of the sac flaps inside...

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 12:11pm On Apr 03, 2022
Here's a growth report in pictures

6 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 12:14pm On Apr 03, 2022
They're coming out one at a time..
Some just have buds and some are starting to emerge under the mulch... I guess this will take time.

11 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 12:15pm On Apr 03, 2022
I'll be there later in the evening again to mulch the newly planted ones... And if possible, make holes at the bottom of the sacs too

7 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by abouzaid: 3:20pm On Apr 03, 2022
orogodoganyin:
I'll be there later in the evening again to mulch the newly planted ones... And if possible, make holes at the bottom of the sacs too
good job, I'll be following your thread. Please, how many yam moulds can you plant on a plot of land measuring 50feet×100feet?

2 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 5:09pm On Apr 03, 2022
abouzaid:
good job, I'll be following your thread. Please, how many yam moulds can you plant on a plot of land measuring 50feet×100feet?

I'm not an expert in this but anything from 450 (1m x 1m spacing) and 1800 (1m x 0.25m)
Depending on the size of the yam seeds you're planting...

2 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by abouzaid: 5:29pm On Apr 03, 2022
orogodoganyin:

I'm not an expert in this but anything from 450 (1m x 1m spacing) and 1800 (1m x 0.25m)
Depending on the size of the yam seeds you're planting...
thanks a million.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 8:17pm On Apr 03, 2022
abouzaid:
thanks a million.

You're welcome sir

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 12:41pm On Apr 04, 2022
I really couldn't go out yesterday to mulch the newly planted ones and make holes in the sac. the fasting was really hitting hard.
However, concerning the water boy that left, I was able to meet one of his guys this morning. He said that he wasn't told anything but agreed to fill the remaining sacs and help water the plants... hopefully, he keeps his words.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 9:47am On Apr 06, 2022
So the guy still hasn't filled the remaining sacs and I also had to go water the plants today.
The ones that have sprouted seem to be growing pretty fast. I have to start worrying about staking pretty soon...
I should consider that by the weekend.

I don't even know if that's a good idea since less than 10% have sprouted and I want to do a general staking.
I'll see how it goes though...
hopefully the others come out pretty soon too

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 9:49am On Apr 06, 2022
I still haven't mulched the last 22 I planted. I ought to do that this weekend. Before the heavy rains start.
we still haven't had a second rain in Abuja yet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 10 Lucrative Farming In Nigeria You Need To Know / The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory / Willie Obiano Starts Rice Production & Processing In Anambra State(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.