Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

My Sac Yam Diary - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Sac Yam Diary (41433 Views)

We Will Be Having Our Recap Of Yam Sac-farming Webinar By 8:00 PM On This Thread / How To Hatch Eggs Easily (stripping, Fertilization, Milt Sac Removal) 2021 / Have You Seen This Colour Of Catfish Sperm Sac Before? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by clockwisereport: 12:09am On Nov 17, 2022
barag:
Seems like a good harvest to me. Congrats

Nope. The harvest is poor. My neighbour gets at least 4 yams from one yam she plants, though she makes use of mounds and not sacks.
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by chinonyinye: 1:14am On Nov 17, 2022
clockwisereport:

Nope. The harvest is poor. My neighbour gets at least 4 yams from one yam she plants, though she makes use of mounds and not sacks.

Wow. 4 yams per each yam set? Please how is that possible?
Also, while planting was it a shallow planting or you dug a deep hole inside the bag?
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Gabaleve(m): 4:15am On Nov 17, 2022
pcagbaji:
All this is what you labour for

�.. They just deceiving theirselves... It doesn't work.. Next year OP will still see errors in his path, forgetting that a cement sack can't even contain a fully mature tuber of cassava..

Those other goats dey up there dey talk about how people are lazy yẹn yẹn yẹn... All of you shut up.. OP ran at serious loss.. He is counting his losses at the moment, that's why he's not answering anybody..

He's indirectly telling y'all not to try this stunt ever again

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Gabaleve(m): 4:20am On Nov 17, 2022
chinonyinye:

Wow. 4 yams per each yam set? Please how is that possible?
Also, while planting was it a shallow planting or you dug a deep hole inside the bag?

Can't you read?
He said mounds not cement bags
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Gabaleve(m): 4:21am On Nov 17, 2022
clockwisereport:

Extremely poor compared to time, effort and money expended
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 4:52am On Nov 17, 2022
GreatManBee:

out of the close to 100 sacs you planted, how many yams did you harvest?

About 50.
But some didn't germinate at all... I think I mentioned how some of the yam seeds were left in a container too long before planting and were already spoilt...
Just planted them like that
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 4:55am On Nov 17, 2022
Tboymessiah:

NasoLifeBe!!!
How can the yam be treated before planting

You use chemicals or dip them in ash solution and dry them

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 4:56am On Nov 17, 2022
MOROVINA:

How do you do that... I would be planting next year

Chemical treatment or make ash solution, dip them in, n dry them out
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 4:57am On Nov 17, 2022
MOROVINA:

At what stage (week) should this be done?

When the leaves already started coming out well
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 4:59am On Nov 17, 2022
GodHatesJews:

Use cow manure instead of inorganic fertilizers .

You can bag the manures now and mulch it to prevent weed growth until when you are ready to start planting.

Your yield was poor for using the wrong fertilizer and also the bags might be too small for growing large tubers.

Consider larger backs and opt for cow dung instead. You can get the dung from your local cow market.

There is a YouTuber that did 10,000 sacs or so ... Very large sacs and his harvest was crazy.

I work with a construction company so cement sacs were free and I was just experimenting

4 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 4:59am On Nov 17, 2022
Dieuetla:
Please update have you harvested the yam. Show us the outcome

That's done already

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 5:01am On Nov 17, 2022
clockwisereport:

I actually had some with three tubers too... But not quite large...
There's a YouTuber with 10,000 sacs I think...
Very large sacs though n he had crazy harvest

4 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 5:04am On Nov 17, 2022
Gabaleve:

�.. They just deceiving theirselves... It doesn't work.. Next year OP will still see errors in his path, forgetting that a cement sack can't even contain a fully mature tuber of cassava..

Those other goats dey up there dey talk about how people are lazy yẹn yẹn yẹn... All of you shut up.. OP ran at serious loss.. He is counting his losses at the moment, that's why he's not answering anybody..

LoL... I don't live on Nairaland now...
The harvest wasn't the best, yes...
But this was experimental.
It's better to use bigger sacs, definitely.
But then, there was a tuber that was almost to my knee. Basically about the length of the sac and curved... So it's not a bad method at all

12 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Awoleesu(m): 5:32am On Nov 17, 2022
Quite impressive!

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by kenny714433(m): 5:50am On Nov 17, 2022
Nothing beats planting on mound.

I have always seen the harvest from sac and it doesn't impress me a bit...

Although it got so much advantages like taking small space, low labour cost, no weeding etc, the harvest is always limited.

I was arguing with someone about this same issue earlier this year, now I can confirm it. Our own harvest planted in the soil got much yield. But comparing the labour costs and everything, its impressive.

Congrats op.

5 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Lastmessenger2: 5:54am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:

I actually had some with three tubers too... But not quite large...
There's a YouTuber with 10,000 sacs I think...
Very large sacs though n he had crazy harvest
nna share yam abeg. Hunger dey Nigeria. Share yam to your nairaland brothers. At all at all na him worse. At least you harvest 25 out of 50.
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by jaykay68(m): 5:59am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:
Anyone who wants to get into it should give it a try too
l am interested pls, you can reach me 09092663664 to learn more about this.

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by DesChyko: 6:04am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:
So I harvested today... Harvest wasn't so good and I think I know why.
1. The soil I planted with, didn't support Potato planted by someone else the previous season
2. My staking wasn't so good
3. fertilizer application wasn't good too
4. No seed treatment before planting
5. Negligence on my part during the course of the season

With these sizes shocked

When I do plant yams with my grandfather, we'd be really lucky to get half the length of some of these yams grin

3 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by DesChyko: 6:06am On Nov 17, 2022
Moh247:
I tell you Nigeria have no reason to be hungry

Kudos O.P

I just re planted some too after my harvest

There is nothing you don't do. Rest.

Small time now, you will be talking about servicing carburettor in Innoson vehicles every week undecided

3 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by seunfly: 6:21am On Nov 17, 2022
BaddestQueen:
shatap you can never make sense
stop pretending

Can u hear urself? Todays youth are extremely dumb.
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by chinonyinye: 6:22am On Nov 17, 2022
Gabaleve:

Can't you read?
He said mounds not cement bags

Please learn to mind your business. You aren't the op. I asked him not you.

2 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by yusuf0876(m): 6:29am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:
Well... At least, I know what to do against next season
these is a good one,even better for a first timer

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by seunfly: 6:31am On Nov 17, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Precisely! The problem is mostly that of laziness on the part of the poor.
We have bad orientation that things that matters has to come easy, we channels our energy into d wrong direction hoping to hit millions overnight.
Corruption at the top makes it difficult for reorientation because it serves as excuses for the people to remain lazy.
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Divoc19(f): 6:49am On Nov 17, 2022
It still falls back on the government for not properly educating farmers and investing in Agriculture like they should.

Imagine if this was a project carried out by Senior Secondary School students, bringing this yam(s) home will make their parents vow for a replant and the replants will never end.

OP's little challenges are enough to discourage some people from starting to plant. He also didn't make reference to the financial implications of planting 'how many seeds of yam'

Kobojunkie:
Precisely! The problem is mostly that of laziness on the part of the poor.

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Makowonda: 7:05am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:
Each one I planted, I mulched to prevent water from directly hitting the soil, parting it and exposing the yam seedlings.
Welldone.But you don't mulch to prevent water from directly hitting the soil,you mulch to prevent high soil surface temperature that can lead to evapotranspiration.

5 Likes

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by sylve11: 7:18am On Nov 17, 2022
Gabaleve:

grin grin cool

i have never seen any good harvest from this sack planting.

Some time ago, i went visited youtube just to get a first hand information and it turns to be a disappointing watch.

Poor harvest! that is how it's always been. sad cool

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by sylve11: 7:24am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:

LoL... I don't live on Nairaland now...
The harvest wasn't the best, yes...
But this was experimental.
It's better to use bigger sacs, definitely.
But then, there was a tuber that was almost to my knee. Basically about the length of the sac and curved... So it's not a bad method at all

you tried but i have been watching this method on Youtube and i must say i have been disappointed with the harvest so far.

In one of the videos i watched, a lady harvested some yams that are not bigger than seed tomatoes. sad cool

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 7:49am On Nov 17, 2022
Makowonda:
Welldone.But you don't mulch to prevent water from directly hitting the soil,you mulch to prevent high soil surface temperature that can lead to evapotranspiration.

Yes, there's that of course...

But if you don't mulch here too, the soil will be parted and your seeds will be exposed
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 7:50am On Nov 17, 2022
sylve11:

you tried but i have been watching this method on Youtube and i must say i have been disappointed with the harvest so far.

In one of the videos i watched, a lady harvested some yams that are not bigger than seed tomatoes. sad cool

A man planted in mounds not far from me... And it was basically the same thing

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 7:51am On Nov 17, 2022
DesChyko:

With these sizes shocked

When I do plant yams with my grandfather, we'd be really lucky to get half the length of some of these yams grin

LoL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 10 Lucrative Farming In Nigeria You Need To Know / The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory / Willie Obiano Starts Rice Production & Processing In Anambra State(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.