Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,269 members, 7,818,928 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

My Sac Yam Diary - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Sac Yam Diary (41437 Views)

We Will Be Having Our Recap Of Yam Sac-farming Webinar By 8:00 PM On This Thread / How To Hatch Eggs Easily (stripping, Fertilization, Milt Sac Removal) 2021 / Have You Seen This Colour Of Catfish Sperm Sac Before? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 7:51am On Nov 17, 2022
DesChyko:

With these sizes shocked

When I do plant yams with my grandfather, we'd be really lucky to get half the length of some of these yams grin

LoL ... Planting can be like that sometimes
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 7:54am On Nov 17, 2022
Lastmessenger2:
nna share yam abeg. Hunger dey Nigeria. Share yam to your nairaland brothers. At all at all na him worse. At least you harvest 25 out of 50.

I only took a sac of harvested tubers out of everything...
Everything else was shared out.
It was an experiment and I didn't intend to sell.
Also... I'll be traveling in December and can't have eaten a lot b4 the trip. Hence, the sharing
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Tboymessiah(m): 8:35am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:

You use chemicals or dip them in ash solution and dry them

NasoLifeBe!!!
Where can I get the chemical and the ash solution, in short I will be glad if u can give me the name of the chemical to dry the yam seeding before planting
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by sircatherine45(m): 8:38am On Nov 17, 2022
Makowonda:
Welldone.But you don't mulch to prevent water from directly hitting the soil,you mulch to prevent high soil surface temperature that can lead to evapotranspiration.

correct!

1 Like

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by BaddestQueen(f): 8:50am On Nov 17, 2022
Moh247:

Only an idiot would see tribalism in my comment

Biafra isn't a tribe, and the person I qouted specifically never denied his affiliation to Biafrans terrorist group

If the slowpoke feels I don't have a right to comment about my sac farming experience on agric section, then it's my duty to put him in his place as the fool he is

You either mind your business or get treated the way you appear
A vote for Tinubu is a vote for incompetence,docility, massive bullion van looting and drug peddling.

everything about Tinubu is bad , terrible and evil
Tinubu must be stop so Nigeria can move forward and progress.
thunder scatter Tinubu
thunder scatter Tinubu urchins
thunder scatter Remi
hahahahaha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Sac Yam Diary by sircatherine45(m): 9:06am On Nov 17, 2022
[quote author=Moh247 post=118458308][/quote]
Mods, please see to this. Mynd44
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by sircatherine45(m): 9:07am On Nov 17, 2022
[quote author=Moh247 post=118458308][/quote]
Mynd44
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by GodHatesJews: 9:17am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:

There is a YouTuber that did 10,000 sacs or so ... Very large sacs and his harvest was crazy.

I work with a construction company so cement sacs were free and I was just experimenting

From what I understand about this sack farming involving yams :

1. You save a lot of space

2. Weeding and fertilizer application is highly efficient .

3. Harvesting is way easier and simpler.

4. Its more applicable in areas with low rainfall and so for efficient irrigation and soil moisture maintainance throughout the growing season.

Where is your location ? You said you noticed fungal growth and early rotting of seedlings, this may be as a result of too much moisture.

In southern parts with high rainfall, this form of farming may not be ideal as the sacks can easily get water logged.

Where did the Youtuber who planted over 10_000 bags site his farm?

I think this form of farming yam will be adequate from the ending of the wet season in the south up to the rains begin.

It could also be ideal in waterlogged soil in places like the Niger Delta swampy areas as long as water is highly controlled .

Too much water isn't good for yam cultivation especially during its tuber stage .

So where exactly did you cite your farm?
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by jessylaurel(f): 9:21am On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:
Each one I planted, I mulched to prevent water from directly hitting the soil, parting it and exposing the yam seedlings.

Won't it affect the size of the yam since you made use of a bag?
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Bearfruit(f): 9:45am On Nov 17, 2022
Good job
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by clockwisereport: 9:57am On Nov 17, 2022
chinonyinye:

Wow. 4 yams per each yam set? Please how is that possible?
Also, while planting was it a shallow planting or you dug a deep hole inside the bag?

I said she makes use of mounds and not bags
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by MrBONE2(m): 10:56am On Nov 17, 2022
BaddestQueen:
A vote for Tinubu is a vote for incompetence,docility, massive bullion van looting and drug peddling.

everything about Tinubu is bad , terrible and evil
Tinubu must be stop so Nigeria can move forward and progress.
thunder scatter Tinubu
thunder scatter Tinubu urchins
thunder scatter Remi
hahahahaha

Aswear Mods should reserves all Bans here for this SiSi grin
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by orogodoganyin(m): 11:16am On Nov 17, 2022
GodHatesJews:

From what I understand about this sack farming involving yams :

1. You save a lot of space

2. Weeding and fertilizer application is highly efficient .

3. Harvesting is way easier and simpler.

Site is Abuja...

The seeds were rotting because I kept them in a storage container out in the sun... The place was hot n not aerated... And rodents did their bits too.
I put several holes close to the bottom of each sac so that excess water flows out, and what's left is what the soul can hold

4. Its more applicable in areas with low rainfall and so for efficient irrigation and soil moisture maintainance throughout the growing season.

Where is your location ? You said you noticed fungal growth and early rotting of seedlings, this may be as a result of too much moisture.

In southern parts with high rainfall, this form of farming may not be ideal as the sacks can easily get water logged.

Where did the Youtuber who planted over 10_000 bags site his farm?

I think this form of farming yam will be adequate from the ending of the wet season in the south up to the rains begin.

It could also be ideal in waterlogged soil in places like the Niger Delta swampy areas as long as water is highly controlled .

Too much water isn't good for yam cultivation especially during its tuber stage .

So where exactly did you cite your farm?
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by luluosas(m): 11:31am On Nov 17, 2022
Will surely do this next year by the grace of God when will get to our house
orogodoganyin:
Anyone who wants to get into it should give it a try too
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Iykoto86(m): 12:18pm On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:
So the guy still hasn't filled the remaining sacs and I also had to go water the plants today.
The ones that have sprouted seem to be growing pretty fast. I have to start worrying about staking pretty soon...
I should consider that by the weekend.

I don't even know if that's a good idea since less than 10% have sprouted and I want to do a general staking.
I'll see how it goes though...
hopefully the others come out pretty soon too
nice one,with this method,yams can be planted any time of the year
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by chinonyinye: 12:32pm On Nov 17, 2022
clockwisereport:

I said she makes use of mounds and not bags

Okay, thank you. Tho the op quoted a comment and said he got some triplet yams too.
Does that require a special specie of yam or any specie under good conditions can produce such?
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by eskimoeze: 12:59pm On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:
Each one I planted, I mulched to prevent water from directly hitting the soil, parting it and exposing the yam seedlings.
I would like to see the size of the yam seedlings you planted bro
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by GreatManBee: 1:35pm On Nov 17, 2022
orogodoganyin:

About 50.
But some didn't germinate at all... I think I mentioned how some of the yam seeds were left in a container too long before planting and were already spoilt...
Just planted them like that

I'll like to buy some yam seeds. Can you recommend where you got yours?
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by barag(f): 3:13pm On Nov 17, 2022
clockwisereport:

Nope. The harvest is poor. My neighbour gets at least 4 yams from one yam she plants, though she makes use of mounds and not sacks.

Ok. Seems like a good harvest from SAC farming then. At least lessons have been learned and hopefully next planting season would yield greater harvest
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Ijb11: 3:45pm On Nov 17, 2022
Really
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Kobojunkie: 5:04pm On Nov 17, 2022
Divoc19:
1. It still falls back on the government for not properly educating farmers and investing in Agriculture like they should.

2. Imagine if this was a project carried out by Senior Secondary School students, bringing this yam(s) home will make their parents vow for a replant and the replants will never end.

3. OP's little challenges are enough to discourage some people from starting to plant. He also didn't make reference to the financial implications of planting 'how many seeds of yam'
1. Government to educate the hungry that planting food is commonsense? Abeg leave Government out of this please. undecided

2. So parents planting food in their own backyard is beyond logic? undecided

3. What in the world? shocked
Re: My Sac Yam Diary by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Nov 17, 2022
seunfly:

We have bad orientation that things that matters has to come easy, we channels our energy into d wrong direction hoping to hit millions overnight.
Corruption at the top makes it difficult for reorientation because it serves as excuses for the people to remain lazy.
Planting food to eat is supposed to be commonsense especially when people know and see that these foods aren't made in factories but grown in the same ground they walk and sit on everyday. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top 10 Lucrative Farming In Nigeria You Need To Know / The Cassava Story. Profitability And Loss Theory / Willie Obiano Starts Rice Production & Processing In Anambra State(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.