Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing (29464 Views)

Question An American Asked About Nigerians Stealing Their Jobs And Reply He Got / My Colleague Was Sacked – My Pains, My Views / Vacancy For A Junior Accountant (job Ref: Jnr Acct) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by seunny4lif(m): 2:19pm On Mar 27, 2022
I can bet that not the first time he is doing it and it will not be the last.

Do your job and report him to the management.
The problem with Nigerians is that, we always preach about forgiveness is the reason things are not working in this country.

6 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Kingpele(m): 2:19pm On Mar 27, 2022
Wow
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Toulene10(m): 2:19pm On Mar 27, 2022
It was not his first time. You only caught him this time.

2 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by NorthernersSuck: 2:19pm On Mar 27, 2022
grin
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by moadxist2(m): 2:20pm On Mar 27, 2022
Ask him to come with his wife on Monday, report what he has done to his wife, let his wife know you will forgive him this time because of her and the kids. But next time, you will do the needful. Forgiveness is t easy it takes maturity.

11 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Cyphar(m): 2:21pm On Mar 27, 2022
Pls I'm a graduate and I need a job. Pls help
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by ObiBlessed(m): 2:21pm On Mar 27, 2022
ajailer:
Please don’t report him yet as even you sef don Dey confused on ur next line of action based on that you don’t want to complicate his life for him. If you report him on Monday and he gets sacked, you might end up feeling bad about your action.

Wetin me go do next b dis, I will call him and have a chat with him outside of the working premises. I will let him know I am doing him a favor by letting him go off the hook but it will be on the condition that he tells you about all the shady dealings going on there with other staffs too and how they do it( might be he is not the only one doing it). Buy his loyalty, make him see that honesty pays, block all the loopholes and you will see someone who will be loyal to you for life.

I have been down this road before, I reported the guy and got him arrested. I later started feeling bad that my decision was too hasty and even after that theft never reduced but the guys under me just got wiser.
Nicest that I've read.

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by lexy2014: 2:22pm On Mar 27, 2022
FanOfMyself:

Forgive him since this is the first time you caught him in the act. But watch him closely and do well to get some evidence in case he tries something funny...

So if it was your company/property & the employee had succeeded in stealing the batteries and it was discovered he was the one that stole the items, u will "Forgive him since this is the first time you caught him in the act. But watch him closely and do well to get some evidence in case he tries something funny..."

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by freesoul12: 2:22pm On Mar 27, 2022
Dont be d cause of his sack. Just tell him to stop that if u catch him next time u wont hesitate to report .
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by jaybest90(m): 2:22pm On Mar 27, 2022
Report him if you never steal before

Las Las everybody na theif
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by phemmyfour: 2:23pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,
Please I will try to be brief as possible as i can.
I work with a firm that sells construction equipment, and head the logistics and warehouse department. I have this junior colleague that has been with the company for 8years(long before i joined cos i have only been there for 2+ years), he is experienced and good at his job.
But yesterday i caught this guy trying to steal two pieces of 70ah batteries, it really broke my heart because he can not even sell this things for up to 100k. I have tried everything in my capacity to make sure those working under my dept enjoy every benefits that are due to them; from hazard allowance, overtime, and so on. I sign all this allowance without asking questions even when sometimes some of them are questionable. I was doing all this so that nobody has any reason to steal and they have small change to augment their salary.
Personally i hate theft and frown at it and they all know it cos i keep preaching against this at every meeting, and if i escalate this to the management at the HQ in Lagos, he might be sack without benefits after 8 long years and he is a family man.

Though I have scold him and told him he would hear from me by Monday morning, the truth is given the situation I don't know what to do with this guy.

I am really confuse cos i don't even know how long he has been doing this shit.
Tell him the next time such repeat itself, you will escalate the matter to the management level. Everyone deserves a second chance
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by OriOko88(m): 2:23pm On Mar 27, 2022
Give the grace of second chance. The country hard!! And u said he's a family man..so he's understandable. Na everybody b thief wen nobody dey home. So warn him and gboju.
If you report him and he's sacked..the guy fit send assassin to end u. People no get joy for this country anymore. So thread carefully
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by NorthernersSuck: 2:24pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,
I work with a firm that sells construction equipment, and head the logistics and warehouse department. I have this junior colleague that has been with the company for 8years(long before i joined cos i have only been there for 2+ years), he is experienced and good at his job.
But yesterday i caught this guy trying to steal two pieces of 70ah batteries, it really broke my heart because he can not even sell this things for up to 100k. I have tried everything in my capacity to make sure those working under my dept enjoy every benefits that are due to them; from hazard allowance, overtime, and so on. I sign all this allowance without asking questions even when sometimes some of them are questionable. I was doing all this so that nobody has any reason to steal and they have small change to augment their salary.
Personally i hate theft and frown at it and they all know it cos i keep preaching against this at every meeting, and if i escalate this to the management at the HQ in Lagos, he might be sack without benefits after 8 long years and he is a family man.

Though I have scold him and told him he would hear from me by Monday morning, the truth is given the situation I don't know what to do with this guy.

Hmmmm Op trade with caution oooo, that guy fit implicate you join, just warn him and let peace be

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Kobicove(m): 2:25pm On Mar 27, 2022
Stealing is in-born for some people!

No matter how nice you are to them they will still steal the first chance they get! cry

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by jumper524(m): 2:26pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

everybody deserves a second chance but not everyone gets a second chance, whatever decision you take, none is wrong.
For you to bring it here means your conscience ain't strong enough to report him, I'll advise you forgive him so you'll have peace, let him know how you had to battle with your conscience to forgive him just in case it happens again, you'll axe him without thinking twice.

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Pelexy: 2:26pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

Honestly remove emotions from this. Remember this is a work environment you cant be working with emotions. Imagine youre the owner of the company do what you think will be right for you to do. People dont know what CEOs or business owner go through to generate income for the company and it really sad some dont see sleep so they can meet up with your salaries. Please do the right thing

2 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Supermajor(m): 2:26pm On Mar 27, 2022
@op I suggest u go with this advice because even if u get him sacked now, it will only prompt the rest to become wiser and change strategies.

ajailer:
Please don’t report him yet as even you sef don Dey confused on ur next line of action based on that you don’t want to complicate his life for him. If you report him on Monday and he gets sacked, you might end up feeling bad about your action.

Wetin me go do next b dis, I will call him and have a chat with him outside of the working premises. I will let him know I am doing him a favor by letting him go off the hook but it will be on the condition that he tells you about all the shady dealings going on there with other staffs too and how they do it( might be he is not the only one doing it). Buy his loyalty, make him see that honesty pays, block all the loopholes and you will see someone who will be loyal to you for life.

I have been down this road before, I reported the guy and got him arrested. I later started feeling bad that my decision was too hasty and even after that theft never reduced but the guys under me just got wiser.

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by kpolli(m): 2:27pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

Just remember if your department gets audited and they find out parts are missing; you'll be the one sacked

4 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by uchdavinci: 2:28pm On Mar 27, 2022
I know it's not good to steal and I won't support the nigga but i suggest you talk to him one on one, give him stern warning and threaten him you would report him to Hq if necessary. Something might have prompted it.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by akpunda86: 2:29pm On Mar 27, 2022
podium:
Abeg forgive him.... Things are so hard

Bros assume he succeeded in stealing it and the boss can't give acct of the batteries and assume sacked Nko,chief report him ,save Ur job and report to management,let management decide not u,what if u leave him and anoda backfires and he mentions u.Oga report to management
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by 007lss: 2:29pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

forgive him and give him second chance, try to warn him too......thanks
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by eddie7: 2:29pm On Mar 27, 2022
Have patience and wait until you catch a senior colleague....we can all go & report the matter,for now, return to status quo
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by 7Randall: 2:29pm On Mar 27, 2022
I just hope whatever decision you take doesn't backfire. This is a difficult situation to be in. Firing him would mean putting him and his family in a difficult condition. But letting it go could see him attempt something like that again but more carefully this time. I hope his actions doesn't jeopardize your position. All the best

3 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Yankee101: 2:29pm On Mar 27, 2022
You're risking your life

Document it and have him put it in writing east he did

Have someone else he dodent know have a copy and let him know others have the copy

Easier still let him resign by himself to collect his benefit. But you're putting your life in danger

For major theft I'll advise you fire in the spot. Let no one in the department doubt or play with your resolve

ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

2 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by ebuka440: 2:30pm On Mar 27, 2022
I don't support stealing in any way but the guy is there a family man. It is this once that he has caught him stealing. I will advise that he just sit him down and talk to him. No need of reporting him cos the economy is bad.

Yankwuri babana

HarunaWest:
You can tell management that you doubt his integrity.If they ask what prompted such thoughts, just say that you almost caught him committing theft. Let management decide his fate.....Economy hard doesn't give one the right to steal from your employer.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by hopexter(m): 2:30pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

Have him transferred to a different department or location. If he’s caught there, it has nothing to do with you and you wouldn’t have to feel bad about it.

This happened to me some years back, a Female colleague was caught on cctv several times stealing from the retail shop which I head. Instead of finding a way to atone from this after warning, all she could do was make sexual advances at me, and she’s married with kids for that matter. That got me even more pissed, I just forwarded copies of the cctv footage to the head office and we didn’t see nor hear from her again. No regret!

3 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by abeniagbon(m): 2:30pm On Mar 27, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

Invite him to your office and put your phone on recorder. Then start asking him questions on why or what did he intend to with the battery without permission. You will have to call it permission then later call it stealing that if that happens again he will be sack without been paid benefits. Let him know and make sure someone from his department be In the meeting to stand as your witness... Or give him suspension.

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 27, 2022
Report the incidence please ,it will save you stress in the future ,if you don't you're not helping the system,the owner of the company don't be happy with you.if it's your company you won't tolerate it.

You can make it simple ,by telling them to change is position because you found him stealing .And i hope you have evidence

2 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Jagznation(m): 2:33pm On Mar 27, 2022
I've been in this kinda situation before,come tomorrow Monday just keep mute and watch him closely he'll nearly shit in his pants each time you're around.
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by UTILITYMAY(m): 2:33pm On Mar 27, 2022
Number 1: What does the company policy says about such act? I'll advice you that you act on what the company policy says. The reason is not only to save your job, but to also protect your integrity and have a clear conscience.

Number 2: If you think you are finding it hard to implement Number 1 above, because it might cost him his job, then try to make him write an apology letter and promise never to do that again. Also make him sign an undertaken letter never to do such again. The reason is so that you can have evidence in future in case any top management got aware of his theft, so with this letter, you won't be implicated as though you are in such deals with him or them. Let his wife, brother, or friend come sign as a guarantor and inform them of what he did. Also let a staff of your department be a witness. You can also make other staff of your department sign their own undertaken letter as well so that if there are others involved in this act, they will desist. All these documents should be kept securely in your house and/or scanned copies in cloud storage.

1 Like

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Patented: 2:34pm On Mar 27, 2022
He must be punished. The nature of the punishment is left to you. However consider what happens if it is heard that you caught him stealing
and what you did was ...........?

We tend to condone certain things due to sentiment however by doing that we embolden the perpetrator and others like them.

Last last u must ensure that he does not go Scot free but the level of punishment is in your hands.

ProphetofOdin:
Hi,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NNPC Experienced Hire Recruitment: Coalition Calls On Buhari, NASS To Intervene / Workforce Interview / Nigerian Navy Released List Of Candidates For Batch 27 Aptitude Test (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.