Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,788 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing (29456 Views)

Question An American Asked About Nigerians Stealing Their Jobs And Reply He Got / My Colleague Was Sacked – My Pains, My Views / Vacancy For A Junior Accountant (job Ref: Jnr Acct) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by ProphetofOdin: 3:13pm On Mar 26, 2022
Hi,
Please I will try to be brief as possible as i can.
I work with a firm that sells construction equipment, and head the logistics and warehouse department. I have this junior colleague that has been with the company for 8years(long before i joined cos i have only been there for 2+ years), he is experienced and good at his job.
But yesterday i caught this guy trying to steal two pieces of 70ah batteries, it really broke my heart because he can not even sell this things for up to 100k. I have tried everything in my capacity to make sure those working under my dept enjoy every benefits that are due to them; from hazard allowance, overtime, and so on. I sign all this allowance without asking questions even when sometimes some of them are questionable. I was doing all this so that nobody has any reason to steal and they have small change to augment their salary.
Personally i hate theft and frown at it and they all know it cos i keep preaching against this at every meeting, and if i escalate this to the management at the HQ in Lagos, he might be sack without benefits after 8 long years and he is a family man.

Though I have scold him and told him he would hear from me by Monday morning, the truth is given the situation I don't know what to do with this guy.

I am really confuse cos i don't even know how long he has been doing this shit.

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by HarunaWest(m): 3:18pm On Mar 26, 2022
You can tell management that you doubt his integrity.If they ask what prompted such thoughts, just say that you almost caught him committing theft. Let management decide his fate.....Economy hard doesn't give one the right to steal from your employer.

288 Likes 14 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by FanOfMyself: 3:24pm On Mar 26, 2022
ProphetofOdin:
Hi,
Please I will try to be brief as possible as i can.
I work with a firm that sells construction equipment, and head the logistics and warehouse department. I have this junior colleague that has been with the company for 8years(long before i joined cos i have only been there for 2+ years), he is experienced and good at his job.
But yesterday i caught this guy trying to steal two pieces of 70ah batteries, it really broke my heart because he can not even sell this things for up to 100k. I have tried everything in my capacity to make sure those working under my dept enjoy every benefits that are due to them; from hazard allowance, overtime, and so on. I sign all this allowance without asking questions even when sometimes some of them are questionable. I was doing all this so that nobody has any reason to steal and they have small change to augment their salary.
Personally i hate theft and frown at it and they all know it cos i keep preaching against this at every meeting, and if i escalate this to the management at the HQ in Lagos, he might be sack without benefits after 8 long years and he is a family man.

Though I have scold him and told him he would hear from me by Monday morning, the truth is given the situation I don't know what to do with this guy.

I am really confuse cos i don't even know how long he has been doing this shit.
Forgive him since this is the first time you caught him in the act. But watch him closely and do well to get some evidence in case he tries something funny...

213 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by HUSTLER001: 3:24pm On Mar 26, 2022
Give him a second chance. If he tries to steal again,go brutal on him. He deserves no mercy this time.

172 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by ajailer(m): 3:28pm On Mar 26, 2022
Please don’t report him yet as even you sef don Dey confused on ur next line of action based on that you don’t want to complicate his life for him. If you report him on Monday and he gets sacked, you might end up feeling bad about your action.

Wetin me go do next b dis, I will call him and have a chat with him outside of the working premises. I will let him know I am doing him a favor by letting him go off the hook but it will be on the condition that he tells you about all the shady dealings going on there with other staffs too and how they do it( might be he is not the only one doing it). Buy his loyalty, make him see that honesty pays, block all the loopholes and you will see someone who will be loyal to you for life.

I have been down this road before, I reported the guy and got him arrested. I later started feeling bad that my decision was too hasty and even after that theft never reduced but the guys under me just got wiser.

427 Likes 20 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Freestainworld(m): 3:40pm On Mar 26, 2022
Forgive him, but if possible change him to an area where he can't get access to this items he almost stole, but let him know that when next he is caught, he will be sacked.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by bukitt: 5:36pm On Mar 26, 2022
Pls boss help a brother with a job.

20 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by sammirano: 5:55pm On Mar 26, 2022
Follow the management policy in this instance. It's there for a reason!

24 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Jubal01: 7:07pm On Mar 26, 2022
In as much as i also detest theft, i would pls implore u 2 temper justice with mercy. He might be ur best ally now to help u block all other loopholes which u didnt know existed. In essence, use this thief to catch d other thieves.

35 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by podium(m): 7:09pm On Mar 26, 2022
Abeg forgive him.... Things are so hard

10 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by hakeemhakeem(m): 9:42pm On Mar 26, 2022
Forgive him but chat with him on WhatsApp save it.in case he try to come up any move that will go against you in future trust me he would be planing something

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by harmargedon: 10:40pm On Mar 26, 2022
second chances were designed for a reason.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by arthurwillia(m): 11:06pm On Mar 26, 2022
Depends on the company policy but hear from him why he is stealing, tell him not to steal again abd if it continues report

5 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Karleb(m): 6:19am On Mar 27, 2022
Why is he still a junior staff after 8 years?

34 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 27, 2022

6 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by tasceige(m): 2:15pm On Mar 27, 2022
I don't understand!!!!
You caught someone stealing and scolded him!!
Does your company not have a code of conduct. There is punishment for stealing, if he knew that and still went ahead stealing.. then he is ready to face the law.

We are talking about your own integrity and your bosses integrity depending on you guys chain of command.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by DoctorOlasDesk: 2:16pm On Mar 27, 2022
Don't let them practice Voodoo on you o

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by datola: 2:16pm On Mar 27, 2022
Op, you are good man and loyal staff for being so concerned. If we have people like you at the helm of organizations Nigeria will progress.

You can give him a second chance but not until you have made him to promise you in writing never to try that again.

God bless you.

11 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by vincentjk(m): 2:16pm On Mar 27, 2022
This goes on almost every company.

I know of a lady that built and furnished a house with the side money she stole from a factory as an ordinary sales agent.

Fear who never collect.

15 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by oluwaseyi0: 2:16pm On Mar 27, 2022
ajailer:
Please don’t report him yet as even you sef don Dey confused on ur next line of action based on that you don’t want to complicate his life for him. If you report him on Monday and he gets sacked, you might end up feeling bad about your action.

Wetin me go do next b dis, I will call him and have a chat with him outside of the working premises. I will let him know I am doing him a favor by letting him go off the hook but it will be on the condition that he tells you about all the shady dealings going on there with other staffs too and how they do it( might be he is not the only one doing it). Buy his loyalty, make him see that honesty pays, block all the loopholes and you will see someone who will be loyal to you for life.

I have been down this road before, I reported the guy and got him arrested. I later started feeling bad that my decision was too hasty and even after that theft never reduced but the guys under me just got wiser.

At OP I'll advise you to follow this advice

Reporting and sacking him may not reduce the theft going on

As unpolitical correct as it may sound you need one of the thieves on your side to be able to effectively block the loopholes otherwise they will just get smarter

19 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Nackzy: 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2022
Warn him
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Babaflenjor: 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2022
Hm
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Sarsaproko: 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2022
After you don scold am.. Wetin remain?

Give him another chance nau..

2 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by chloride6: 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2022
Do you have incontrovertible evidence that he stole?

If you do, please forward to HQ. His entitlement is not your business. .

3 Likes

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by moscobabs(m): 2:17pm On Mar 27, 2022
And it makes frontpage twice

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Jh0wsef(m): 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2022
Oo
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Anaerobi(m): 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2022
Hmmmmmm
Call him aside, try to find out if he have any pressing issue that made him do such thing.

But please, forgive him
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by stano2(m): 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2022
Report asap
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by EdgarBounce(m): 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2022
Anini I’m the making
Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by N2B2: 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2022
I think you should report him to management.

A family man should know not to steal from work. His family is not your responsibility.

If something goes missing in the future (and there are no cameras in your warehouse), he and others might deny the theft, leaving you to be personally responsible.

If you've been telling your team every meeting not to steal, yet this man still stole, what's the guarantee he'll listen to you now? He'll just be more clever in the future.

I know it's hard, but I suggest you report him.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Caught A Junior Colleague Stealing by Klington: 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2022
Forgive him with a stern warning.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nestlé CWAR Graduate Trainee Programme 2022 / Unemployment: Nigerian Graduate Burns His Certificates (Video) / NNPC Experienced Hire Recruitment: Coalition Calls On Buhari, NASS To Intervene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.