Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,343 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent (63146 Views)

Buhari Not In Support Of Muslim-Muslim Ticket For APC - Daily Independent / 8 Lawmakers Refuse To Join Umahi’s Decamping Train To APC - Daily Trust / Why Atiku, Saraki, Kwankwaso Won’t Return To APC - Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 8:13am On Mar 28, 2022
TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI

After the successful conduct of its national convention weekend, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) is now faced with one major task of searching for a presidential candidate that will fly the party’s flag in the 2023 presidential election.

With the election of Senator Abdullahi Adamu, former Nasarawa State governor, as its national chairman, there is a high probability that the APC might zone the presidential ticket to the South, rather than throw it open as being canvassed by some stakeholders, especially from the Northern part of the country.

Despite the declaration of some presidential aspirants from the South such as Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, former Lagos State governor and national leader of the party; David Umahi, Ebonyi State governor; Rochas Okorocha, former Imo State governor, there are reports that the presidency is working underground to bring in former President Goodluck Jonathan into the party and make him its presidential candidate.

Daily Independent gathered that the belief of the cabals behind the plot was that Jonathan has an edge because aside being a Southerner, he is also a Christian, which is a very important consideration given the fact that President Buhari who will be completing his term of office next year is a Muslim.

It is also believed that if Jonathan eventually gets the ticket and wins the presidential election, he will do just one term, since he has already served one term before his defeat in 2015 and then return power back to the North.

The rumour was recently confirmed by Prof. Itse Sagay (SAN), an APC chieftain and Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), who said the plot is for the APC to pair Jonathan with the Yobe State governor, Mai Mala Buni, as his running mate, knowing that he could only do one term in office as president.

He further told Daily Independent that after Jonathan’s one term, having served as president before, Buni, who was formerly the Chairman of the APC Caretaker Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee, will then replace him in 2027.

Sagay said: “Now we are hearing from the sides, former President Goodluck Jonathan wants to join APC. Why would a man who had been president before denigrate himself to that level? I hear that the conspiracy is to bring in Jonathan as APC presidential candidate and Buni as the vice-presidential candidate. If APC wins, Jonathan will go away after four years and Buni becomes the president. That is the rumour I’m hearing now.”

Speaking with Daily Independent on Sunday, a former minister from the South- South who is a key loyalist of Jonathan said with the convention of the party now over, Jonathan is set to make up his mind on where he belongs.

He also confirmed that Jonathan is “technically out of the PDP as at today”.

According to him, “Yes, the former president was approached by the leaders of the APC who sold him the idea of running on the party’s platform in 2023. They said they were happy with the manner he handled his defeat in 2015, conceding defeat even before the election results were fully announced without any form of bitterness and the cooperation he has been giving President Buhari. They also said as true democrat, Nigeria needs him at this moment to unite the country.

“I am aware he (Jonathan) gave them only one condition. And that is if they are ready to make him the consensus presidential candidate of the party. He doesn’t want any acrimony that will arise from contesting the presidential primary at all. That is the only condition I am aware he gave to the APC leaders who are in talks with him”.

Efforts made by Daily Independent to get the reaction from the presidency proved abortive as none of our sources declined to speak on the issue.

However, in an interview late last year, Senator John Akpanudoedehe, former national secretary of the APC Caretaker Committee, said if Jonathan joins the APC, he will be given the opportunity to contest the next general election but will not get an automatic ticket.

“I am hearing that for the first time that we are expecting the former president. That will be great news. We will welcome him; that will also strengthen the party. The last National Executive Council of the party actually gave a blanket approval to any individual that if you join APC today, it is as if you are a founding member of the party. So, anyone who joins today has the same opportunity to run for any office in this party. It has always been so, so I am not speculating”, Akpanudoedehe had said.

When contacted, Hon. Bosun Oladele, National Secretary of the South-West Agenda for Asiwaju 2023 (SWAGA’23), said the idea of a consensus presidential candidate is unacceptable as it will cause rancour and division in the party.

According to him, nobody should try to get the APC presidential ticket through the backdoor.

“There is nothing like consensus presidential candidate. That will be a short cut which they know cannot be possible through a primary if all the aspirants file out on the field. Nobody should think of getting the ticket through the back door.

“Don’t forget, Asiwaju Tinubu deliberately said that he has the capacity. So, I believe that is the number one requirement for anybody that wants to contest the election. Whoever is contesting, let them go to the field and show their capacity. After all, if not for contested primaries, would it have been possible for Buhari to emerge in 2015? I believe if he had emerged by consensus then, there would have been serious protest and division in the party”, he said.

https://independent.ng/2023-presidential-election-jonathan-gives-presidency-condition-to-join-apc/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 8:13am On Mar 28, 2022
Tinubu presidential ambition is dead and buried

His dirty style of politics back then has all come back to hunt him.......

Karma!

313 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by yerokunphilips: 8:15am On Mar 28, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
I fear who no fear the North and Buhari

The biggest loser here is erm, What's that lizard of bourdilon name again ?

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Rastaramsey(m): 8:16am On Mar 28, 2022
LMAO
This is hilarious....

Nevertheless, anybody wey dey dat APC government can't do anything good for Nigeria sad sad

Unknown gunmen, skull mining, banditry and others will continue cus Man will be controlled by them Fulanis which is a big turnoff.....

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by seunmsg(m): 8:17am On Mar 28, 2022
Clowns keep moving from Amaechi to Jonathan and back to Amaechi. They don’t even know where to stand. Their confusion is so pathetic and sympathetic at the same time grin grin grin

325 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by duro4chang(m): 8:18am On Mar 28, 2022
So Jonathan still has it in mind to join APC? Na WA oooo!

320 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 8:22am On Mar 28, 2022
duro4chang:
So Jonathan still have it in mind to join APC? Na WA oooo!
Jonathan will join APC and nothing will happen

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Olunmercy56(f): 8:22am On Mar 28, 2022
Lies. Who want to be joined with criminals?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Iceberg3: 8:25am On Mar 28, 2022
Wonderful..
Leo the ol'mn...,I mean leodeking,what ya gotta say ta this?
grin

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Nyanmiridunce: 8:26am On Mar 28, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
I fear who no fear the North and Buhari

The biggest loser here is erm, What's that lizard of bourdilon name again ?
Guy stay one place na. Only you don support Peter Obi, Amaechi, GEJ, Anyim and even wike. A man should know what he wants and stick to it. You said you want your ibo tribe as president but supporting an Ijaw man.

If confusion dey in human form, it should be you.

315 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Ndimkpurummiri(m): 8:27am On Mar 28, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

is APC no more satanic Islamic Amala ewedu party?

73 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 8:27am On Mar 28, 2022
Ndimkpurummiri:
is APC no more satanic Islamic Amala ewedu party?
APC is not a Yoruba party and will never be

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by nzeobi(m): 8:30am On Mar 28, 2022
I will still vote Jonathan ahead of some current contestants of the office so he can come and implement the confab report

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 8:30am On Mar 28, 2022
Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Ndimkpurummiri(m): 8:31am On Mar 28, 2022
It seems these Okoros dey mad
All the 200 million Nigerians are qualified to become president except Tinubu and Wicked Wike forgetting they have just 5% voting capacity

42 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by nzeobi(m): 8:32am On Mar 28, 2022
seunmsg:
Clowns keep moving from Amaechi to Jonathan and back to Amaechi. They don’t even know where to stand. Their confusion is so pathetic and sympathetic at the same time grin grin grin

It's only after party primaries and candidates emerge that sensible Nigerians can make their choices

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Ndimkpurummiri(m): 8:32am On Mar 28, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

APC is not a Yoruba party and will never be
it is satanic Islamic party right?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 8:34am On Mar 28, 2022
Ndimkpurummiri:
it is satanic Islamic party right?
Stop talking nonsense

18 Likes

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by duro4chang(m): 8:37am On Mar 28, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

You don minit? What will now be the portion of those who have been crying upandan on nairaland because APC defeated PDP in 2015?

263 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by freemanq(m): 8:41am On Mar 28, 2022
Oga jona plz respect urself and stay off politics for now

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Penguin2: 8:46am On Mar 28, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
Tinubu presidential ambition is dead and buried

His dirty style of politics back then has all come back to hunt him.......

Karma!

I wish Jonathan can get the APC ticket so that Tinubu’s karma will be complete.

I wonder how he would feel that the man he maligned so much, gathered his urchins at Ojota to protest against him, went into a dangerous alliance with known bigots and deployed barrage of media propaganda against, would come back to power while he would stand by and watch and do nothing.

I wish this karma can be served on Tinubu.

85 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Penguin2: 8:51am On Mar 28, 2022
duro4chang:
You don minit? What will now be the portion of those who have been crying upandan on nairaland because APC defeated PDP in 2015?

We will rejoice and merry because the purpose for which the opolo-eyed drug lord deployed his billions to take Jonathan out of power shall have crumbled like a pack of cards before his very eyes and before the eyes of his teaming urchins.

And we will be back to power.

The thought of it is giving me orgasms already

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 8:53am On Mar 28, 2022
Penguin2:

I wish Jonathan can get the APC ticket so that Tinubu’s karma will be complete.

I wonder how he would feel that the man he maligned so much, gathered his urchins at Ojota to protest against him, went into a dangerous alliance with known bigots and deployed barrage of media propaganda against, would come back to power while he would stand by and watch and do nothing.

I wish this karma can be served on Tinubu.
I can't wait to see Tinubu defeat

Can't wait

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Dannyset(m): 9:00am On Mar 28, 2022
seunmsg:

It is becoming irritating already I swear.

I wonder how they go about beating their chest over what they don't have influence on.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Bounceboune7: 9:12am On Mar 28, 2022
seunmsg:
that princeoflagos is the definition of confusiop,he picks a candidate every week,I am waiting for d week he will tell us his father too is interested

316 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 9:13am On Mar 28, 2022
Bounceboune7:
that princeoflagos is the definition of confusiop,he picks a candidate every week,I am waiting for d week he will tell us his father too is interested
lol

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Odin13: 9:16am On Mar 28, 2022
One Yoruba boy insulted me coz of this.. and abuse igbos
Dsalvo..-abi wetin be that moniker

Yoruba people will sit in ilesha and be talking trash

You tell them truth .. they will abuse and curse just for likes .. while the reality remain unchanged

Don’t understand those people..

Jonathan can’t fall for APC STUPIDITY.

12 Likes

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by famology(m): 9:18am On Mar 28, 2022
Dannyset:

It is becoming irritating already I swear.

I wonder how they go about beating their chest over what they don't have influence on.

Hahahaha... that's what unnecessary bitterness can do to a man. It makes one restless and confused. Lol.....

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by tonysunkan: 9:20am On Mar 28, 2022
This is interesting. So, Jonathan could even pause to consider joining APC. What a paradox! My inkling says if he joins the APC, it will end in premium regrets. Mark my words.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by AsampeteNwaanyi(f): 9:21am On Mar 28, 2022
[s]
seunmsg:
[/s]
the main koko be say the criminal drug barron won't be president
Hehehehehe

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by PrinceOfLagos: 9:35am On Mar 28, 2022
AsampeteNwaanyi:
[s][/s]
the main koko be say the criminal drug barron won't be president
Hehehehehe
lol

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent by Lovelive: 9:38am On Mar 28, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

He(Jonathan) is not joining APC for you to masturbe over your ego but to deal/handle mercilessly with people like you and co

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

FFK Mocks Datti Baba-Ahmed For Kneeling To Greet President Tinubu / Nnamdi Kanu Clashes With DSS Operatives, Refuses To Answer Questions / Photo Of Soldiers Fighting Boko Haram In The Sambisa Forest By Make+Receive Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.