Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? (28253 Views)

Nigerians React To 400L Student Of Unilorin Who Finds It Difficult To Express He / Why Foreign Graduates Find It Hard To Get A Job In Nigeria / How I Was Insulted By A Lady Who Misconceived My Good English Expression'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:22pm On Mar 30, 2022
JomasisTech:

Do you speak good English? You said "funny enough" instead of "funnily enough."

English nah mates?
I'm open to learn. Besides, English language changes. The words or usage of words that seems right today might be wrong tomorrow and be corrected. Don't be surprised that what u corrected tonight might be wrong tomorrow and be corrected tomorrow.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:24pm On Mar 30, 2022
Nkemimoh:
Even some lecturers can't speak good English. I have one female lecturer like she speaks English demonstrating like deaf and dumb but if it comes to Yoruba speaking she's very good. English language is punishing her most times
If not for connection, do u think the school would have employed her?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:31pm On Mar 30, 2022
womenareapess:
you are very useless for bringing this question undecided
There are various decipline of study.

Math
Physics
Geology and the rest undecided

Do you think all this courses required English to understand them?

Use your tomatoes head to think
Ur mumu na follow come. What language was used to write those subjects u mentioned above? Was it Yoruba or Igbo language?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by amodujames(m): 10:34pm On Mar 30, 2022
Stop playing with me nigga... Nigga who English help
#BloodGANG

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
mulero23:
So, you think the main or only reason to obtain a degree is to learn how to speak English because English was the language of taught? Oh, no... think rightly mehn! You can do better than this.
No, that is not what i mean but aleast one should be average not poor or very poor in speaking.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
maryikpaha:
that is where we make mistakes, is English our language. the so call poeple that English is there language, dint they shoot gun. Why is then important for me to speak it correctly when the real owner cant. bro as long as u understand the msg he or she is passing across. then what is the headache. the main objective of any borrowed language is communication. thanks
But it was included in ur Subjects. Abi u no write am for ur Waec or jamb question paper. Once u fail English language in ur Waec or Jamb, u will have to write again. English language is inescapable as long as education is concern.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 10:58pm On Mar 30, 2022
ellizy:

This isn’t an excuse. No one is expecting a graduate to be dictionary but at least construct a simple English sentences….
U got my point.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by sherylbaky(f): 10:58pm On Mar 30, 2022
frowland:

Italian expatriates don’t know how to speak English but they dominate the oil industry. Be looking for who can speak English.
How can I like this a hundred times please?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 11:07pm On Mar 30, 2022
luluman:
Better keep quiet, if I'm well trained as a technician as a graduate & am vast with the technical know how who do I need to convince I can speak English?
If u were to teach students technician as a lecturer, which language would u use?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by jimcaddy(m): 11:13pm On Mar 30, 2022
It's very simple. Their local languages have taken over their English. And many people didn't pay good attention to English language when being taught right from Primary and secondary school. Then also who you surround yourself with also affects. Then most Nigerian graduates don't read or do vocabulary development. There is a difference between written and spoken English too.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 11:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
MrBroke:

So if you can't speak English language that well but always come out first when it comes to science subjects and you are very good at science, you are uneducated abi? Do you know how many people who speak English Fluently but are dump ass, like blockhead, uneducated. Education is knowing and understanding and practicalizing a field, but the real Education is the knowledge and wisdom of life, which many people are lacking and unfortunately schools can't teach you that. grin

That's not what i mean.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by harrend(m): 11:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
Truvelisback:
So, what is the essence of going to School if u can't express urself well? What is the evidence that u are a graduate or u are well educated?
did everybody went to the university to study English language and literature??
Bross leave those things dem we no dey go school to go learn how to express ourself..nobody dey teach dah wan for school. Especially when u dey do engineering.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by aribisala0(m): 11:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
Have participated in International postgraduate programme
Group assessment work was 20% of the course grade.
We had people from England in our group but the presentation was done by a Chinko guy with poor English but a great personality. We all did the power point together and our group got the highest score . The guy's personality shone through his poor English. When he made mistakes the examiners even helped him . We had native English speakers without his charisma in our group who were not confident enough
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Emekuss(m): 11:56pm On Mar 30, 2022
Because English is not the mother's tongue and he/she did not study English language in the tertiary institution.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by aribisala0(m): 11:57pm On Mar 30, 2022
jimcaddy:
It's very simple. Their local languages have taken over their English. And many people didn't pay good attention to English language when being taught right from Primary and secondary school. Then also who you surround yourself with also affects. Then most Nigerian graduates don't read or do vocabulary development. There is a difference between written and spoken English too.
Local languages?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Joelobioha(m): 12:06am On Mar 31, 2022
Boogyman557:
Holly Gram cool LoLz

my Gee!

WTF MAN!
grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Prolificgiant(m): 12:08am On Mar 31, 2022
TwinGeek:

Hello I'm interested
where do u reside ??Lets talk on phone or chat
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Prolificgiant(m): 12:09am On Mar 31, 2022
thatsleepboy1:

I stay at iwaya
ok lets talk on phone or chat
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Ameduedwin: 12:10am On Mar 31, 2022
This is where you people got it wrong in these country called Nigeria. China with their technological intelligence 80% of China didn't speak English but their exiled in the area of duty. The worse thing is that those people come to Nigeria here to head you and you are even callings them master, with the jagon the speak. But calling your fellow Nigeria names, yabbin him or her for not being able to speak English.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Fiscus105(m): 4:18am On Mar 31, 2022
HeavenVGate:

Yes and I'm one. Why should I speak good English for what? I'm more better and flow freely when speak in pidgin. Guess what was my class of Degree? FIRST CLASS 4.52. If you're looking for a crazy man when it come to mathematics, come knock on my door. I'm better than many gurus 100%

Even you yourself knows that somehow, you are at disadvantaged, yes you are a guru in mathematics, but the knowledge you acquired in the university is supposed to be impacted on others for self development and by extension for nation building, to do that, you still need communication, since you are struggling to express yourself in English language, the knowledge you laboured to acquired in your university days, might be fruitless.

How? Because you need English language to express and impact it in the country you are dwelling which uses English language as her official lingual franca.

Note! For you to be deficient in certain area shouldn't be the yardstick to rubbish its importance during argument ok.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Readability: 6:49am On Mar 31, 2022
Karleb:

A lot of people are like you but they didn't even try to improve on their spoken English.

In my secondary school I could write any English I could imagine but speaking was a great problem because I rarely speak the language. I attended a public secondary school where we rarely speak English.
Pre-university, the only time I spoke very good English were the 2 years I spent in a private primary school.

The university coupled with my church, RCCG changed everything for me tho.
It's either you speak English or you keep quiet or you end up embarrassing yourself because people will question your quality of education as a young fellow if you speak bad English in those environments and they also encourage the proper usage of the language.

It's one of those reasons why I love mingling with non-yoruba people, I enjoy speaking English and pidgin with them.

The English language do frustrate me atimes tho, especially the Nigerian English we speak. Personally I still prefer yoruba.

I must confess sha, having good command of English language will increase your confidence especially in today's Nigeria compared to when you have a bad command of it especially as a graduate.

I still dey shoot gun small small sha grin but I no dey shake.

Honestly, I quite agree with most of the things you wrote. It boosts confidence, no doubt and it gets better when surrounded by good speakers of the language.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achorladey: 6:57am On Mar 31, 2022
Karleb:

I have this song and I enjoy it but the hypocrisy there is that lagbaja speaks very good English.

I don't judge people's intelligence based on their spoken English sha, especially non-graduates.

I will see Lagbaja as an hypocrite had he said we should flog those not speaking good English when I am equally aware is not an expert or master in the same language.

That song equally didn't convey the sense of people should not strive to speak good English.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Awuvnaira: 7:59am On Mar 31, 2022
owovtu is giving out free 3gb of MTN data as registration bonus https://owovtu.com.ng

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by HeavenVGate: 8:05am On Mar 31, 2022
Fiscus105:

Even you yourself knows that somehow, you are at disadvantaged, yes you are a guru in mathematics, but the knowledge you acquired in the university is supposed to be impacted on others for self development and by extension for nation building, to do that, you still need communication, since you are struggling to express yourself in English language, the knowledge you laboured to acquired in your university days, might be fruitless.

How? Because you need English language to express and impact it in the country you are dwelling which uses English language as her official lingual franca.

Note! For you to deficient in certain area shouldn't be the yardstick to rubbish it during argument ok.
Of course it's been difficult for you in life I know that. Listen to me! Isn't about speaking good English, all you need is communication. I don't need good English to teach anyone in fact I speaks Yoruba most time but guess what? I'm earnings big and doing so well. If all you got in your head is good English, I guess later on in life, you're gonna need to write a very good English expressions in a sheet of paper and eat them because no one is gonna employ you even a GATEKEEPER you ain't gonna get because your education is a waste when you can only speak English. One of the most important points in my comment is, It isn't about good English, once you can communicate and the Lister understand you so well, then you don't need any better English than just that but you didn't get that because of your good English Pardon me grin grin , what's your definition of a good English? Perhaps you are confused grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by leomarz007: 8:18am On Mar 31, 2022
Truvelisback:
Good day, fellas. Why do some graduates find it difficult to speak good English? I mean, even to construct a simple sentence. Funny enough, most of these guys brag about their educational Degree and most of them tend to be very arrogant.

The funny part of it is that, they are even confident and proud with the blunders they make while speaking.

Goan ask your lecturer
Has anyone met such graduate?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by warhzza(m): 9:34am On Mar 31, 2022
Back in Uni days, There's this guy in our class that takes us on tutorials..he was one of the best..Nigga ENglish was so poor, dah we make jest of him and still make jest of him with any blunder he makes. SO i really don't think English is really dah....... Tho it's bad when a graduate find it difficult to speak well

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by achimendy(m): 11:55am On Mar 31, 2022
sherylbaky:
Articulacy is the ability to speak fluently, and this can be done in any language in the world.

Education is the acquisition of "personal development", knowledge, skill development, habit, morals and values, These are the essence of education.

Therefore, education could be acquired in any language.
Out of this personal development is 'exposure'.

Exposure teaches that we have different people around the world with different languages.
German speaks their language
Spanish speaks theirs
Portuguese with theirs as well.

Hence, if someone can not speak a foreign language or other dialects, it doesn't mean the person is not educated.
But if someone has failed in the area of skill, value,moral, habit or personal development, it's an evidence that the person is not well educated.

Respect my queen.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by luluman: 2:35pm On Mar 31, 2022
Truvelisback:
If u were to teach students technician as a lecturer, which language would u use?
How does it affect the technical ability?
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by Truvelisback(m): 2:39pm On Mar 31, 2022
luluman:
How does it affect the technical ability?
Ans my question first b4 i will ans urs. No dey use question to ans question.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by luluman: 3:12pm On Mar 31, 2022
Truvelisback:
Ans my question first b4 i will ans urs. No dey use question to ans question.
Go and ask them people that are doing well with poor English how they survive it.
Re: Why Do Some Graduates Find It Difficult To Speak Good English? by thatsleepboy1: 8:36pm On Mar 31, 2022
Prolificgiant:
ok lets talk on phone or chat

Okay sir.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Amina Yahaya Is 2nd Female SUG Leader In A Northern Nigerian University / Baby Delivered In Moremi Hall Toilet, OAU Clocks Four Today / Professor Arrested In Abuja For Aiding Daughter To Cheat In JAMB Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.