Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,374 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? (33924 Views)

Blinken Says NATO Countries Have "Green Light" To Send Fighter Jets To Ukraine / Russia Tells EU, NATO To Stop Arms Supplies To Ukraine / Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Elvictor: 11:00am On Mar 30, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Very wrong notion. USA through their business collaboration with their partners like Saudi Arabia and Canada who are the top largest oil producers in the world can easily make it happen. They'd only face the hardship for a few days. Remember when fuel became scarce recently in Nigeria?With the arrival of a few vessels recently, the tide stopped and now, there's fuel everywhere and sold at the normal rate per liter. We only siffered that scarcity for a few weeks. Russia will cry on this. EU can increase their demands for our gas, othwr countries too. Hope you're aware NLNG in Bonny Island exports the majority of their gas to Europe, India, etc? I wonder why Nigeria is still poor. We should be as powerful as Russia today but corruption is too much. Are you aware Nigeria is just 2 points velow Russia in oil endowment? We're number 10 while Russia is number 8. If not for racism and all manners of sentiments, I see no reason why EU wouldn't come buy our bonny lite which is even the best in the world but headed for Russia for energy dependency instead. Maybe what's happening now would male them reconsider their agelong decisions

Gas not crude oil oga, Nigeria is way below Russia in gas

5 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Adjovi: 11:01am On Mar 30, 2022
MT:

No contract was violated in sanction. If you note any contract violated in any of the sanction, kindly state it. Contract is a contract, it can't be reneged on on an international stage

What economic law did Russia break that warranted their foreign reserve freezed?

6 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by shogz89: 11:02am On Mar 30, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Very wrong notion. USA through their business collaboration with their partners like Saudi Arabia and Canada who are the top largest oil producers in the world can easily make it happen. They'd only face the hardship for a few days. Remember when fuel became scarce recently in Nigeria?With the arrival of a few vessels recently, the tide stopped and now, there's fuel everywhere and sold at the normal rate per liter. We only siffered that scarcity for a few weeks. Russia will cry on this. EU can increase their demands for our gas, othwr countries too. Hope you're aware NLNG in Bonny Island exports the majority of their gas to Europe, India, etc? I wonder why Nigeria is still poor. We should be as powerful as Russia today but corruption is too much. Are you aware Nigeria is just 2 points velow Russia in oil endowment? We're number 10 while Russia is number 8. If not for racism and all manners of sentiments, I see no reason why EU wouldn't come buy our bonny lite which is even the best in the world but headed for Russia for energy dependency instead. Maybe what's happening now would male them reconsider their agelong decisions
it's not about increasing the supply to EU.. The real question is "at what cost", Russia Gas is very cheap, gas from any other source will be more than 2 times expensive. That will put EU at a disadvantage position economically because cost of production by EU factories will increase. How do you then compete with products from China and other Asian countries by price.. Tomorrow is the deadline, if Putin doesn't change his mind, Europe will likely have no option than to pay in roubles.. They are lucky its not winter..

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Oddfinder: 11:02am On Mar 30, 2022
SKIBiNSKI:
Europe can not live without Russian gas, they can pretend they don't need russia but they do. Now they are running around begging for gas/oil from the Arabs (Dubai) Dubai who executed 81 innocent citizens of their country including africans last week. What is the difference between Russia and Dubai? Did you also know that the
son of a former Russian spy who is Putin's friend is a member of parliament in the UK. His name is Lord Lebedev. Why did the
UK government not sanctions him? (But they claimed to sanction Abramovich) Or remove him from UK house of lords? This so called Russian invasion of Ukraine has being political. Did you know that the UK is still buying Russian gas till today. The UK's chancellor's wife owns a company in Russia as of today. People need to wake up to Europe's and the UK's hyporcricies. Nigeria should be worried rather that the UK may invade nigeria and cause conflicts so as to take over and control nigerian oil.
Omo. That man is a don aswe. See his response yesterday about a propaganda engineered toward him;There’s a war in Europe. Britain is facing the highest cost of living since the 1950s. And you choose to debate me based on no facts and pure innuendo. What’s become of you @UKLabour?'
Lord Lebedev. The Lord of Hampton and Siberia
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Eriokanmi: 11:03am On Mar 30, 2022
Elvictor:

Gas not crude oil oga, Nigeria is way below Russia in gas
I know. NLNG at Bonny is mainly for expirt to same EU dont forget. I hope they couid increase their capacity too.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Kingpin1000: 11:04am On Mar 30, 2022
MT:

I'm sorry I don't dialogue with uneducated individuals like you, who can't string two sentences together without insult. I dialogue here with individuals that we can all deepen our intellectual capacities. This will be my last message to you.
Educated man..
You want to take a country like Russia to the court of Arbitration. Na who respect court dey go court.
What was U.S reply to Hague when they wanted to prosecute Bush.. was it not a threat of Sanctions.
You are kindergarten man

5 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by ALFADOS(m): 11:04am On Mar 30, 2022
we are watching them from our phone simple
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Elvictor: 11:06am On Mar 30, 2022
Eriokanmi:
I know. NLNG at Bonny is mainly for expirt to same EU dont forget. I hope they couid increase their capacity too.

Even if they increase, no one can compete with Russia in gas

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by edosignature(m): 11:07am On Mar 30, 2022
Russians are wise & I belief after the "Special Operations in Ukraine",/Russians will be more prosperous & the country will be envy of many nations.

6 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by 24SEVEN: 11:07am On Mar 30, 2022
MT:
Putin cannot just wake up to unilaterally change a signed contract agreed by all parties. The contract states Russia gas would be paid for in Euros and NOT in rubles. Russia will be dragged to Court of Arbitration for resolution.

worst case scenario, terminate the contract.. who lose?

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by edosignature(m): 11:08am On Mar 30, 2022
Russians are wise & I belief after the "Special Operations in Ukraine",/Russians will be more prosperous & the country will be envy of many nations.

Long live Russia, Long live Vladimir Putin.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by dvkot(m): 11:08am On Mar 30, 2022
Igbofam:

I just told you an alternative is in the works and it is not oil and Gas so just relax your titties. grin

A lot is happening behind the scenes.

By the time this rolls out, no country would depend on Gas or Nuclear energy any more.

till that time it won't happen overnight sha
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Oddfinder: 11:09am On Mar 30, 2022
MT:
Putin cannot just wake up to unilaterally change a signed contract agreed by all parties. The contract states Russia gas would be paid for in Euros and NOT in rubles. Russia will be dragged to Court of Arbitration for resolution.
Did the contract also mandate the EU to freeze Russia's assets in their lands?

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Wannabenz: 11:10am On Mar 30, 2022
Russia has turned off the pipeline that went through Poland.

5 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by MT: 11:10am On Mar 30, 2022
For the educated illiterates on this forum who think international contract is run anyhow, try and read this article, maybe, just maybe, you will be open minded enough to learn one or two things:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/03/29/germany-lindner-putin-should-think-before-asking-for-energy-payments-in-rubles.html
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by SKIBiNSKI(m): 11:12am On Mar 30, 2022
Oddfinder:

Omo. That man is a don aswe. See his response yesterday about a propaganda engineered toward him;There’s a war in Europe. Britain is facing the highest cost of living since the 1950s. And you choose to debate me based on no facts and pure innuendo. What’s become of you @UKLabour?'
Lord Lebedev. The Lord of Hampton and Siberia
Did you know that the UK's security services adviced Boris Johnson against bringing Lord Lebedev into the house of lords? Yet he ignored his own security personnels advice. Rish Sunak's wife is a shareholder in a Russian multi million company in Russia, Tory peer Gregg Barker earns £6 million a year working for an aluminium company own by an orligarchy friend of Putin. Their hyporcrisies is epic.

I wonder if the UK woulda taken african refugees in the way they are wellcoming Ukrainian refugees.

Boris Johnson made a joke yesterday that he is become more popular than Ukraine. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by 00FFT00(m): 11:13am On Mar 30, 2022
seunny4lif:
Ruble is now less than 90 to Dollar from 135 since Russia made the announcement of Petrol-Ruble.

USA fought and killed many head of states that tried to change from Petrol-Dollar for the past 50 years but in just 3 weeks Biden destroyed that dream by banned Russia from access Dollars.

Hungary PM said Solidarity with Ukraine will not heat or put food on the table for Hungarians, with or without EU, Hungary need gas and no country can provide it for them except Russia.

Russia and China have been looking for way out of Dollar as way of doing businesses but it was hard for them, now they don’t even have to worry about it again.

When we will have United Africa leaders that will do things like this, we can’t be selling our resources Dollars or Euros or Pounds.
We need our own money here, we even if it’s west Africa currency or maybe we should all option for Naira grin or Cedi because CFA is a big NO, France control that money.
We need vision leaders here, Oh I forgot all the Africa leaders that have good vision have been killed like Gadaffi, Thomas Sankara etc.
Mali is trying now to start that, but same Africa leaders sanctioned Mali

How Countries are paying in Rubles grin

Questions that easily came to my mind:
1. What's Africa's balance of trade deficitwith the west?
2. Gas, how developed is your gas extraction and export capacity?.
3. How much have you as a country invested from your net earnings in your oil and gas fields
4. Who and what are the sources of funding and development of your oil and gas fields?
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by juman(m): 11:13am On Mar 30, 2022
Our EU leaders are American puppets.

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by NGArmyTerrorist: 11:14am On Mar 30, 2022
Ukraine War had started again! After una super wingless eagles showed una pepper yesterday! Una never talk about Kaduna train bomb finish na Europe una wan enter grin
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by juman(m): 11:14am On Mar 30, 2022
The almighty Russia.
The superpower with powerful power.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by MT: 11:16am On Mar 30, 2022
Oddfinder:

Tell me what contract is breached. When you have assets on a foreign soil, you are well aware of the degree of risk you are exposed to. The government can nationalise or freeze your assets. All governments of the world are aware of this. It is a written contract.

Obasanjo nationalised then Barclays bank in Nigeria. This is a tool available to every government. Sales of oil is guided by a different kind of contract. Both the seller and the buyer agree to a set of rules which is enforceable by court of arbitration.

I can see that many people struggle with the idea of contract because they hardly fulfil their obligations to contract in this part of the world.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by 2nattie(m): 11:18am On Mar 30, 2022
MT:

Not when signed contract is involved

Dem go alter terms of contract na

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by SKIBiNSKI(m): 11:18am On Mar 30, 2022
Oddfinder:

grin Correct.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by 00FFT00(m): 11:19am On Mar 30, 2022
obailala:
You guys have said it all... if the gas stops flowing, Europe's economy (including that of Russia) would take an unprecedented fall. Citizens across Europe will surge into the streets demanding their leaders stop playing politics with their lives.

Interesting. Why have Nigerians not surged into the streets to demand an end to the carnage, both economic and security that have become their lives?.

We believe Europeans will do right for themselves if it comes to it, why not us?.

Are we finally admitting that Nigeria is populated by sub humans and dimwits?.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by lildonn222: 11:21am On Mar 30, 2022
Investigative:
America: we invaded iraq because of weapon of mass destruction
Me:why don't you Invade Russia,they also have weapon of mass destruction
America
Russia weapons of mass destruction can't match Iraq's weopons of mass destruction.

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Teenaira: 11:23am On Mar 30, 2022
gbolswag:
what will happen if Nigeria doesn't participate in Qatar... so sad...can't get over it

They might try to spend some time to look at our problems
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by baralatie(m): 11:24am On Mar 30, 2022
MT:

Tell me what contract is breached. When you have assets on a foreign soil, you are well aware of the degree of risk you are exposed to. The government can nationalise or freeze your assets. All governments of the world are aware of this. It is a written contract.

Obasanjo nationalised then Barclays bank in Nigeria. This is a tool available to every government. Sales of oil is guided by a different kind of contract. Both the seller and the buyer agree to a set of rules which is enforceable by court of arbitration.

I can see that many people struggle with the idea of contract because they hardly fulfil their obligations to contract in this part of the world.
And you expect someone to continuing doing business with a frozen account by the same country?

7 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Oddfinder: 11:27am On Mar 30, 2022
MT:

At the bolded; i ask again. Does this particular 'different kind of contract agreed by both seller and buyer,enforced by the court of arbitration ' madate members to freeze Russia's (including private individuals) assets in their lands?
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by MT: 11:27am On Mar 30, 2022
Kingpin1000:

Educated man..
You want to take a country like Russia to the court of Arbitration. Na who respect court dey go court.
What was U.S reply to Hague when they wanted to prosecute Bush.. was it not a threat of Sanctions.
You are kindergarten man

You keep on displaying your lack of intelligence on a public forum. You don't even know the consequences when contracts are breached on international stage or when country doesn't fulfil their obligation in respect of their debt. That will be too much a topic for you.

Let me school you, US is not a member of international criminal court (ICC). So how can ICC try Bush when US did not sign the treaty to be a member. ICC is a voluntary organisation. Let me educate you, even South Africa revokes their membership from ICC which means ICC automatically lacks jurisdiction to prosecute any south African in ICC.

For court of arbitration, Russia is a member and a Russian is currently the vice president of the court of arbitration. Thus they are subjected to the jurisdiction of the court.

I know you are an ignoramus. Next time, read very well before you come here to disgrace your ancestors.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Masterito(m): 11:29am On Mar 30, 2022
Unfortunately there are more options
BKayy:
Then they will have two options
1. Either watch their citizens freeze to death next winter and their countries turned into a war front by riots OR....
2. Invade Russia and take the gas by force.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Dirkcoyt: 11:31am On Mar 30, 2022
Kingpin1000:

And the court of Arbitration will sell the gas to Europe abi.
You think like a child in kindergarten. You see a man who has said to hell with the western govt and you want to take the man to court of Arbitration. A man that can end civilisation as you know it.

Thank God someone finally said this . When I saw his comment I’m like why is this person so stupid and retarded I felt like he’s not worthy to use a phone yet . His reasoning is so elementary I felt like slapping him through my phone ! Oh God!!! Arrrggghhhh!

7 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Techstar: 11:32am On Mar 30, 2022
Eriokanmi:
You guys don't seem to get it. It is not about seeking a replacement, it is simple economics, the higher the demand, the higher the price. If EU begins to demand for gas from another source, the price of gas from wherever they are buying will skyrocket at least 200% way up, why? Because the new source has more people demanding for its gas. And that will lead to a global inflation, even those of us in Nigeria will feel the heat, then imagine people whose countries don't export oil and gas.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

LMAO See The Honourable Minister For Water And Irrigation In South Sudan (photos / Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties / Donald Trump's Supporters Pray & Speak In Tongues At Clark County

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.