Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? (33934 Views)

Blinken Says NATO Countries Have "Green Light" To Send Fighter Jets To Ukraine / Russia Tells EU, NATO To Stop Arms Supplies To Ukraine / Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Oddfinder: 12:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
MT:

Court of arbitration doesn't handle sanctions. That's not their mandate. Let me give you a simple illustration, you come to my house to keep your gold, I reserve the right to tell you what I can do with your gold in case we have issues. It is up to you to determine if you still want to go ahead to keep your assets at my house. Your gold will be subjected to my local law. It is not a business, it is your sole prerogative to determine to keep your assets in my house or not.
So you seized my gold that was kept in ur care right? And u come to me for gas,i sell my gas to you, i mean i suply u the gas and u go ahead to pay me in gold, same gold that you already bannished me from using! Does this make any sense to u? How do i get the value for my gas?

6 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Oddfinder: 12:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
id911:

I'm neither for or against the West or Russia. My own concern is, since the war started in Ukraine, western media are only giving us numbers of Russians dead and ammunition destroyed but silence on the number of the other party (Ukraine). Why?
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by FoolishBoy419: 12:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
MT:
Putin cannot just wake up to unilaterally change a signed contract agreed by all parties. The contract states Russia gas would be paid for in Euros and NOT in rubles. Russia will be dragged to Court of Arbitration for resolution.

So after sanction Russia in every possible way they can and freezing their money, you expect Russia to continue respecting some written documents?

8 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by dlox147(m): 1:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
babyfaceafrica:
Please why can't USA sell cheap gas like russia? Why is Russia gas the cheapest everywhere

*Cost of production is high in America partly due to minimum wage and the quality of crude.

*Logistics and infrastructure. Russia's delivery is piped and so only requires opening and closing of valves, compared to shipping and storage at both delivery and receiving terminals.

4 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Great0ne1: 1:10pm On Mar 30, 2022
Johnrake69:
They might try to invade Russia. Europeans can’t stand hardship
And suffer like the nazi
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 30, 2022
BKayy:
Then they will have two options
1. Either watch their citizens freeze to death next winter and their countries turned into a war front by riots OR....
2. Invade Russia and take the gas by force.
gbammest answer.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by pinkygurl(f): 1:14pm On Mar 30, 2022
egbedox:
Russia is indeed a very powerful Nation. They are so consequential that the NATO/EU cannot just do without the product Russia offer.
Same goes to everyman. When you have a lot to offer, people will not neglect you
grin

2 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by caracas: 1:19pm On Mar 30, 2022
BKayy:
1. Either watch their citizens freeze to death next winter and their countries turned into a war front by riots OR....
Because Russia is the only country in the world with oil n gas…see your reasoning?

1 Like

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by caracas: 1:21pm On Mar 30, 2022
egbedox:
Russia is indeed a very powerful Nation. They are so consequential that the NATO/EU cannot just do without the product Russia offer.
Same goes to everyman. When you have a lot to offer, people will not neglect you
Are u sure you are current
Last time I checked , Russia has become a pariah nation, they’ve been neglected by the whole reasonable world n organizations…

1 Like

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by caracas: 1:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
seunny4lif:
Ruble is now less than 90 to Dollar from 135 since Russia made the announcement of Petrol-Ruble.

USA fought and killed many head of states that tried to change from Petrol-Dollar for the past 50 years but in just 3 weeks Biden destroyed that dream by banned Russia from access Dollars.

Hungary PM said Solidarity with Ukraine will not heat or put food on the table for Hungarians, with or without EU, Hungary need gas and no country can provide it for them except Russia.

Russia and China have been looking for way out of Dollar as way of doing businesses but it was hard for them, now they don’t even have to worry about it again.

When we will have United Africa leaders that will do things like this, we can’t be selling our resources Dollars or Euros or Pounds.
We need our own money here, we even if it’s west Africa currency or maybe we should all option for Naira grin or Cedi because CFA is a big NO, France control that money.
We need vision leaders here, Oh I forgot all the Africa leaders that have good vision have been killed like Gadaffi, Thomas Sankara etc.
Mali is trying now to start that, but same Africa leaders sanctioned Mali

How Countries are paying in Rubles grin
Which country is paying in rubles?
Las las Russia will drink their mumu oil n gas to death…Eu has rejected them

1 Like

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by seunny4lif(m): 1:33pm On Mar 30, 2022
Caseless:
ruble has appreciated in value. We don't have to sell our resources in dollars.
I swear
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by wasuka14(m): 1:42pm On Mar 30, 2022
I need this contract abeg. Am bold i can do it.

ojesymsym:
This is a business opportunity for any country willing to risk it and possible US sanctions.
Act as an intermediary between Russia and the "unfriendly" nations. Collect euros from them, pay Russia in Rubies and keep the profit.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by wasuka14(m): 1:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
How many countries can get oil and gas to Europe very fast and cheap than Russian
caracas:

Because Russia is the only country in the world with oil n gas…see your reasoning?
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by haggai247: 1:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
seunny4lif:
Ruble is now less than 90 to Dollar from 135 since Russia made the announcement of Petrol-Ruble.

USA fought and killed many head of states that tried to change from Petrol-Dollar for the past 50 years but in just 3 weeks Biden destroyed that dream by banned Russia from access Dollars.

Hungary PM said Solidarity with Ukraine will not heat or put food on the table for Hungarians, with or without EU, Hungary need gas and no country can provide it for them except Russia.

Russia and China have been looking for way out of Dollar as way of doing businesses but it was hard for them, now they don’t even have to worry about it again.

When we will have United Africa leaders that will do things like this, we can’t be selling our resources Dollars or Euros or Pounds.
We need our own money here, we even if it’s west Africa currency or maybe we should all option for Naira grin or Cedi because CFA is a big NO, France control that money.
We need vision leaders here, Oh I forgot all the Africa leaders that have good vision have been killed like Gadaffi, Thomas Sankara etc.

Gaddafi tried united Africa but was silenced by the us. That was his number one crime a united Africa.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by gcode120(m): 2:11pm On Mar 30, 2022
Why doesn't niaraland have retweet button ??
seunny4lif:

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by SUPERPACK: 2:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
Eriokanmi:
Why are you overrating Russia so much, OP? They're just 2 points up the ladder above Nigeria on oil exploration( russua is number 8 while Nigeria is number 10) . EU can call bluff of Russia and their oil. Saudi Arabia( where America has her largest oil investment via american oil corporation which later became chevron) and Canada are there. Countries like Nigeria who's number 10 on the list can also supplement supply to the west, other countries too. Don't also forget that America also has oil. Russia will be at the receiving end. To end this, India also buys oil from Nigeria in fact, they're one of our largest buyers.
What countries want is refined products not crude oil that Nigeria exports. Russia is number one in the world in Gas and LNG exportation, even USA is distant second to them on this, Nigeria doesn't have Gas and LNG to give them. We even depend on Imported fuel for crying out loud.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by haggai247: 2:29pm On Mar 30, 2022
MT:
For the educated illiterates on this forum who think international contract is run anyhow, try and read this article, maybe, just maybe, you will be open minded enough to learn one or two things:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/03/29/germany-lindner-putin-should-think-before-asking-for-energy-payments-in-rubles.html
Educated man you should by now know CNBC nmbc CNN and almost all the tv station are owned by BlackRock and vanguard. Owned and control by the kabbalah George Soros and the Soros foundation.

You'll never get unbaise news from these channels.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Shascky33: 2:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
[quote author=Uptownerd post=111493704][/quote]
Europe can survive for months as they have reserve gas. But refusing to pay will be stupid logic as she needs to fill up her reserve incase of supply disruption during winter as they would freez.
Russia on the other hand needs the money as she won't be able to cover wages and finance infrastructures conveniently because her gas export to europe covers about 60% of her daily income. Both parties will suffer but europe will suffer more as russia still have access to about $300 billion worth of foreign reserve denominated in yuan and other forms not accessible to the west... If you've been following CGTN news, you will be able to see why Russia still have an edge. But not a comfortable advantage though.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by VULCAN(m): 2:37pm On Mar 30, 2022
You are talking of a development that is 20yrs away.

In the meantime what happens?

toprealman:
Putin is playing dumb here. He is pushing a people that invest so much on research and innovation. Boys are not smiling. That gas will soon become useless......biofuel research teams smiling.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Originalsly: 2:45pm On Mar 30, 2022
Eriokanmi:

Stop hyping Russia.

What is the topic?... and how am I hyping Russia?
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Originalsly: 2:49pm On Mar 30, 2022
shogz89:

or else what?.. Nigerian is currently supplying below capacity because of vandalism, even if Nigeria can supply more, Nigeria can only do that if OPEC allows it.. And so far, OPEC+ have no intention to increase supply..

Can't argue with you..... A+ response.... on point.
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by Originalsly: 2:52pm On Mar 30, 2022
Oddfinder:

Who will instruct Nigeria to increase production to Europe? Opec?
Do Nigeria even have the capacity to produce more than it output?

Point taken.... why would anyone ask when Nigeria lacks the capacity to increase production .
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by pquaver(m): 3:12pm On Mar 30, 2022
BKayy:

There is a contract, with terms and references.. There is also currency of payment on the contract.. Putin can't just unilaterally change, that will be breach of contract and they can legally take action...
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by caracas: 3:21pm On Mar 30, 2022
wasuka14:
How many countries can get oil and gas to Europe very fast and cheap than Russian
Oga,you forget it’s a global village
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by djon78(m): 3:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
Horus:

The Russian central bank pegged 1 gram of gold to 5000 Rubles (currently, about 50 bucks).

At the same time, Putin made it so that Russian gas and oil can only be purchased in Rubles.

Meaning: Putin basically just pegged Russian oil and gas to gold, using paper rubles as a proxy.

Meaning: Europe will need to either buy Rubles from Putin in gold, in order to buy gas and oil, or they will have to buy directly in gold. Which means, there will soon be a lot more demand for rubles.

Currently, the forex rate for rubles to dollars is about 100:1.

But... with 5000 rubles now equaling 1 gram of gold, and oil being priced directly in gold, you're going to see a massive price disruption in these FOREX markets, in terms of how much gold a dollar can actually still buy.

Foreign countries holding our dollar debt notes in reserve will see less of a use for them, and will want to start dumping them, in order to get something more stable, something which holds its value.

Basically any currency pegged to gold now will fit the bill. Which means those countries like Japan will be dumping their dollar debt as fast as they can. They're are NOT going to go down with the ship. And they will move into more stable currencies like the Ruble.

Which will have a deflationary effect on the Ruble, making it more valuable over time.

Which means Putin will be able to re-peg the Ruble to Gold at whatever rate he wants, down the line. It's 5000 rubles today.
Tomorrow, it might be 500. And then 100. And then 10.

This also means all those excess dollars being dumped by foreign nations are about to come home and cause even worse hyperinflation than we're seeing.

Is it any wonder Biden is up on stage pleading with Europeans for regime change in Russia? He's about to have masses of angry and starving people marching through the streets here at home, demanding answers.

I said it in some previous thread that since the end of world war 2, America and her Western allies hijacked the global financial system.

As far back as 2010, I schooled overseas, my flat mate who was deep into global finance, schooled me on the present financial economic system.

Before 1945, countries used gold as the underlying assets on there currencies.
But after the second world war the Westerners removed that.
Today all the Dollars circulating around the world is just paper. With No underlying asset.

Gaddafi knew this, that's why he announced during the crisis in Libya, that he will henceforth collect only gold for Libya's oil.

Immediately NATO, Obama, Clinton went after him, and killed him.

Many global leaders Know this, except ignorant African leaders. But with what happened to Gaddafi, nobody dared.

But Putin because of his strong man and strong nation, waited for this opportunity to do this.
And because they can't do him anything.

Serious financial crisis is loading, because this will rock the foundations of global financial system.

8 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by pquaver(m): 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
BKayy:

There is a contract, with terms and references.. There is also currency of payment on the contract.. Putin can't just unilaterally change, that will be breach of contract and they can legally take action... Which still makes putin the bad guy if the take matters into their hands
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by AldrichAmes: 3:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
Eriokanmi:
It's normal and this would only last a few days after which things would become normal. We too suffered scarcity last month and now, there's fuel everywhere sold at the normal price. It all depends on how swift the affected countries are able to adjust by looking elsewhere for energy. During scarcity, some stations sold fuel as high as 250 naira here in lagos. Now it's history. Some people just overrate Russia for no reason. I'm even disappointed the manner at which they're suffering more casualties in the hands of Ukrainian forces. I was seeing them as big and mighty before the invasion with the cache of munitions and tanks on display as seen on aljazeera and BBC. Most of those tanks and jets have now been destroyed by Ukrainian army.

Based on your username, I’m guessing you’re Yoruba. However, based of your takes on this thread - you’re too dumb to be Yoruba.

Nigeria produces 2.5m barrels of oil p/d while Russia produces 11.2m barrels p/d. So, Nigeria doesn’t have what it takes to replace Russia. Neither does any other country. The only countries that can replace Russia by coming together are Iran, UAE, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela. And they have all refused to help while either overtly or covertly supporting Russia.

With oil, refineries are built based on the type oil and there are different types. Most of the oil produced in Canada and US are sour oil with high sulphur and most refineries in Europe won’t be able to refine them. Also, cost of production is a factor in the price that would make American and Canadian oil unsustainable in Europe. Albeit they can’t meet the demand since both countries consume most of the oil they produce and also import oil from other countries.

Also, Russia is suffering more casualties in your propaganda pipe dream of western media with doctored videos and pictures. A lot of American veterans have started exposing those lies of Twitter and 80% of them are propaganda. To know what is going on - you have to be on Telegram. There are heaps of bodies of dead Ukr soldiers everywhere on Telegram. Those idiots dying for US hegemony are cannon fodder and they’re getting decimated in their thousands by Russia. About 60k Ukr soldiers are now cut off in eastern Ukr from supply, logistics and support - it’s going to be a massacre in the coming weeks if they don’t surrender. Russians are killing them like dogs.

There is a channel on YouTube called “The Duran”: they predicted everything that’s gonna happen 3wks ago and Russian intentions. And that’s basically what’s happened. The channel is run by a Greek and an American. Ukrainian soldiers are getting killed like rats.

Additionally, you can’t get “green” alternative to fossil fuel when you’re an industrialised country. It will take decades for that to happen.

If they don’t end this war - the inflation in Europe that’s already at an all time high in Europe right now would end up in double digits thus causing a great depression and hyperinflation. And if Russia, China et al continue with the currency war and countries start dropping dollar as a reserve currency - all the excessively printed US dollars are going back to the US thus causing hyperinflation with dollars becoming worthless. And another civil war would be on the horizon in the US.

Russia can’t lose this war unless it’s either invaded and destroyed or China, Iran, India and Saudi Arabia decide to let it fall.

7 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by pquaver(m): 3:51pm On Mar 30, 2022
Shascky33:

Europe can survive for months as they have reserve gas. But refusing to pay will be stupid logic as she needs to fill up her reserve incase of supply disruption during winter as they would freez.
Russia on the other hand needs the money as she won't be able to cover wages and finance infrastructures conveniently because her gas export to europe covers about 60% of her daily income. Both parties will suffer but europe will suffer more as russia still have access to about $300 billion worth of foreign reserve denominated in yuan and other forms not accessible to the west... If you've been following CGTN news, you will be able to see why Russia still have an edge. But not a comfortable advantage though.

Europe won't suffer more rather the supply to the reserves won't be so fast as there is lng alternative...
Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by AldrichAmes: 4:16pm On Mar 30, 2022
Message from Russia and China today is the game changer.

The west would try to lure India but it’s too late. UK’s recent policy of putting Indians in powerful positions in government won’t help because India will always remember its colonial past and how the UK looted and destroyed India. Also, Russia and India have always been partners and India owes a lot to Russia hence most Indians are pro-Russia. The only problem is the India vs China skirmishes and it isn’t as bad as India’s colonial past.

We just have to see how the dominoes fall in the coming weeks.

Is this the end of an empire and the rise of a diversified world? Russia is willing to make the sacrifices to kickstart the change. But the endgame is unpredictable.

And how will history remember Putin since the victors always write it?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by babyfaceafrica: 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2022
dlox147:

*Cost of production is high in America partly due to minimum wage and the quality of crude.

*Logistics and infrastructure. Russia's delivery is piped and so only requires opening and closing of valves, compared to shipping and storage at both delivery and receiving terminals.

thanks, really appreciate

1 Like

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by babyfaceafrica: 4:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
Dpharisee:

Geography is a major concern, Russia can pipe the gas direct to Europe from source.
America can not pipe to Europe, they will have to transport it by ship. But before you put the gas into a ship you have to use machines to compress the volume of gas by liquefaction which means for instance if you are a gas dealer who want to transport your 12.5kg cylinder from Lagos to customers in Kano the cost will be high but you can compress gas in 20 cylinders to fit into one cylinder and transport you save some cost.
Then when you get to Kano you will have to regasify that 12.5kg cylinder using regasification equipment to get your initial 20 cylinders volume. It's like soaking dry Kilishi in water to get bigger cow meat.

Remember that all the equipment from the liquefaction plant to the ship to the regasification plant will still require energy from either fuel or gas.

Compare this to the Kano customer buying gas from Niger Republic pipeline as it comes out from the soil without all the above processes straight to his house. Which of them will sell cheaper the seller in Lagos or the one in Niger Republic?
Thanks for this bro

2 Likes

Re: Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? by babyfaceafrica: 4:42pm On Mar 30, 2022
pegix:
russia has a abandant of oil and gas

The USA has great amount but not to be compared with the russians

Russia has already made pipeline taking oil from Wells directly to western europe

USA will have to ship it

The cost of shipping is not only expensive but disastrous due to possible spills
And just few tankers exist in the world for transporting such with russian having some of the largest
Another reason would be when u have enough u introduce discount
I will rather sell 10 for 100$ each

Than to sell 2 ,for 150 each
Cux if they sell at the same price as the arabian

It wont be so attractive

And guess what european love cheap gas

Macron increase energy price in 2018
Watch how millions protested " yellow vest movement"
Thanks for this bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Prince Harry And Meghan Markle To ‘Step Back’ From Royal Duties / Donald Trump's Supporters Pray & Speak In Tongues At Clark County / Uganda Bans Female Public Servants From Showing Cleavage In The Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.