Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,063 members, 7,814,664 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi (21193 Views)

Doyin Okupe Withdraws From 2023 Race As VP To Peter Obi / 2023: Lady Dumps Her Boyfriend For Not Getting His PVC To Support Obi (Pix) / We Want Peter Obi – Youths Hit Streets Of Abuja, Ibadan To Support Obi (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by PrinceOfLagos: 5:02pm On Mar 30, 2022
A former spokesman of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Dr Doyin Okupe, has withdrawn from the 2023 presidential race.

Okupe also announced that he would now support the candidacy of former Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate addressed a press conference at the NUJ Secretariat, Iwe Iroyin, Abeokuta, Ogun State, on Wednesday, saying it would be wrong for the PDP to jettison zoning.

He said he has abandoned his ambition and conceded the same to the South East in the spirit of fairness and equity, even though “I was the first to declare for the presidency in Nigeria.”

According to him, the leader of the Pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere, Ayo Adebanjo, had in a meeting told him that the next president must come from the South East, saying he had gone beyond Afenifere to pick Peter Obi, whom he considered as a right peg in a right hole.

Okupe said it was clear to him that those at the PDP helm of affairs “are trying to hoodwink those of us aspirants from the South to commit ourselves to obtain the requisite forms before coming up with the original position that ‘every zone can contest the presidency.”

This position, he declared, “is politically fraudulent, unjust and inequitable.”

As a politician, Okupe maintained that he would forge ahead with his “unrepentant call for a rotation of power to the South.”

“I turned 70 years a few days ago, and I have made a covenant with my maker that for the rest of my life, I shall uphold this spirit and principles of our forebears as manifestly displayed and represented in our collective socio-political heritage – THE AFENIFERE.

“Two weeks ago, Pa Ayo Adebanjo called me for the first time into his bedroom and admonished me that no matter what circumstances we Yorubas find ourselves in the ever gyrating political circus of Nigeria, I must uphold the truth and follow the path of equity and justice.

“In aligning myself with the wish of our elders and in the interest of equity and justice, I publicly admit that the 2023 political race must be conceded to the South-East; that is, the Igbos.

“I, therefore, here and now proclaim that I am, as I have said publicly several times, withdrawing from the presidential race and I am declaring my support for the best aspirant not only in Igboland but in Nigeria as a whole.

“I and my supporters within and outside the PDP are teaming up with His Excellency, Peter Obi.

“At the same time, I want to enjoin all other aspirants from the South; Chief Dele Momodu, Senator Anyim, and His Excellency, Governor Nyesom Wike to come with me and let us team up with Peter Obi. So we can give the South the best possible chance.

“For the avoidance of doubt, I am not fanning the embers of division, rather I am by this action lightening the torch of unity by establishing political stability on the pillars of truth and justice upon which the Bible tells us that even the throne of the Almighty God is founded,” Okupe submitted.
https://dailypost.ng/2022/03/30/okupe-withdraws-from-presidential-race-asks-wike-others-to-team-up-with-peter-obi/

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by PrinceOfLagos: 5:03pm On Mar 30, 2022
Obi is very intelligent , he will make a good president

299 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by incandescentena: 5:04pm On Mar 30, 2022
He didn't want to be forced into position to face their demons

ANYWAY, Okupe stood a better chance than Tinubu in the race

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by HRHQueenPhil(f): 5:04pm On Mar 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
A former spokesman of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Dr Doyin Okupe, has withdrawn from the 2023 presidential race.

Okupe also announced that he would now support the candidacy of former Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate addressed a press conference at the NUJ Secretariat, Iwe Iroyin, Abeokuta, Ogun State, on Wednesday, saying it would be wrong for the PDP to jettison zoning.

He said he has abandoned his ambition and conceded the same to the South East in the spirit of fairness and equity, even though “I was the first to declare for the presidency in Nigeria.”

According to him, the leader of the Pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere, Ayo Adebanjo, had in a meeting told him that the next president must come from the South East, saying he had gone beyond Afenifere to pick Peter Obi, whom he considered as a right peg in a right hole.

Okupe said it was clear to him that those at the PDP helm of affairs “are trying to hoodwink those of us aspirants from the South to commit ourselves to obtain the requisite forms before coming up with the original position that ‘every zone can contest the presidency.”

This position, he declared, “is politically fraudulent, unjust and inequitable.”

As a politician, Okupe maintained that he would forge ahead with his “unrepentant call for a rotation of power to the South.”

“I turned 70 years a few days ago, and I have made a covenant with my maker that for the rest of my life, I shall uphold this spirit and principles of our forebears as manifestly displayed and represented in our collective socio-political heritage – THE AFENIFERE.

“Two weeks ago, Pa Ayo Adebanjo called me for the first time into his bedroom and admonished me that no matter what circumstances we Yorubas find ourselves in the ever gyrating political circus of Nigeria, I must uphold the truth and follow the path of equity and justice.

“In aligning myself with the wish of our elders and in the interest of equity and justice, I publicly admit that the 2023 political race must be conceded to the South-East; that is, the Igbos.

“I, therefore, here and now proclaim that I am, as I have said publicly several times, withdrawing from the presidential race and I am declaring my support for the best aspirant not only in Igboland but in Nigeria as a whole.

“I and my supporters within and outside the PDP are teaming up with His Excellency, Peter Obi.

“At the same time, I want to enjoin all other aspirants from the South; Chief Dele Momodu, Senator Anyim, and His Excellency, Governor Nyesom Wike to come with me and let us team up with Peter Obi. So we can give the South the best possible chance.

“For the avoidance of doubt, I am not fanning the embers of division, rather I am by this action lightening the torch of unity by establishing political stability on the pillars of truth and justice upon which the Bible tells us that even the throne of the Almighty God is founded,” Okupe submitted.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/03/30/okupe-withdraws-from-presidential-race-asks-wike-others-to-team-up-with-peter-obi/

Lalasticlala

OKUPE knows he will not win
Wike will not win as well
peter obi will not win
the only contenders here are OSIBANJO, TINUBU, ATIKU AND FORMER PRESIDENT JONATHAN

22 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by PrinceOfLagos: 5:05pm On Mar 30, 2022
HRHQueenPhil:

OKUPE knows he will not win
Wike will not win as well
peter obi will not win
the only contenders here are OSIBANJO, TINUBU, ATIKU AND FORMER PRESIDENT JONATHAN
Read my moniker

Don't you ever mention Tinubu to me again

129 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by IamWonderful: 5:06pm On Mar 30, 2022
Azukwu river master

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Sergio101(m): 5:07pm On Mar 30, 2022
Obi the man!!!!

86 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by gentiles(m): 5:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
Yorubas are weaklings, they are always ready to lick the arse of igbos, something the igbos will never do for them, despite the hate and open disdain from the igbos. Fear and timidity is the bane of Yorubas. If it was the other way round, would the igbos have stepped down for them?

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by yemmight(m): 5:17pm On Mar 30, 2022
Okupe of all person.

2 Likes

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by 3exe3: 5:18pm On Mar 30, 2022
They all won't win peter obi is not strong enough to compete with candidates from the opposing party

7 Likes

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 30, 2022
Honestly Peter Obi is the last beacon of hope..

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by onumadu: 5:31pm On Mar 30, 2022
My smart money is now on Peter Obi to become the next president of Nigeria come 2023.
Okupe is not your average Joe in Nigerian politics. He knows a lot.
Congrats to Obi, the president in waiting.

114 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by mighty2: 5:32pm On Mar 30, 2022
Baba don know say he can't win the primary talkless of becoming president, then he now use style to withdraw from the race and he is now supporting the useless bastard, pandora peter obituary that can never rule this country.
I still say it today that no yeebow human will ever rule this country
Anyway, i still stand gidigba on Tinubu mandate

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Penguin2: 5:34pm On Mar 30, 2022
Thread for Tinubu urchins to convulse in the mouth.

When nobody wants to touch Tinubu’s ambition with even a long pole, a presidential aspirant has withdrawn and thrown his weight behind Peter Obi. The first of its kind in the race to 2023.

Obi/Saraki2023

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by itaewon: 5:36pm On Mar 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
stop stressing yourself obi cannot win primary against atiku and saraki even wike will give him a run

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by jlinkd78(m): 5:38pm On Mar 30, 2022
Noted

1 Like

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Nyanmiridunce: 5:38pm On Mar 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
So you're not supporting GEJ again? Na rubbish you dey do aswear

111 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Nyanmiridunce: 5:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
gentiles:
Yorubas are weaklings, they are always ready to lick the arse of igbos, something the igbos will never do for them. Despite the hate and open disdain from the igbos. Fear and timidity is the bane of Yorubas. If it was the other way round, would the igbos have stepped down for them?
Who's okupe in ogun state? Someone that couldn't won his ward under pdp. You dey here dey misyarn.

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by PrinceOfLagos: 5:40pm On Mar 30, 2022
Nyanmiridunce:
So you're not supporting GEJ again? Na rubbish you dey do aswear
I've made it clear so many times here that I will support any good candidate except Tinubu

I wrote it in bold

25 Likes

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by itaewon: 5:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
gentiles:
Yorubas are weaklings, they are always ready to lick the arse of igbos, something the igbos will never do for them. Despite the hate and open disdain from the igbos. Fear and timidity is the bane of Yorubas. If it was the other way round, would the igbos have stepped down for them?
you people are something else,you talk like primitive people,and your people both elder and young are crying and wailing telling tinubu to step down because no one from your region compete with him.
that is why you don't deserve any pity,if tinubu step down now you will say something worst than this.

I now believe truly that Igbo deserve the WORST

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Nyanmiridunce: 5:41pm On Mar 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

Read my moniker

Don't you ever mention Tinubu to me again

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by mighty2: 5:42pm On Mar 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:
God bless Tinubu, our next president
May Tinubu haters never know peace
May that useless, criminal, killer and thief pandora peter obituary never rule this country (Amen)
ON TINUBU MANDATE I STAND

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Nyanmiridunce: 5:43pm On Mar 30, 2022
PrinceOfLagos:

I've made it clear so many times here that I will support any good candidate except Tinubu

I wrote it in bold
No be you na your paycheck you dey work for.

104 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by mighty2: 5:46pm On Mar 30, 2022
Nyanmiridunce:
Who's okupe in ogun state? Someone that couldn't won his ward under pdp. You dey here dey misyarn.
baba don know say he can't win the primary

4 Likes

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 30, 2022
"I and my supporters'- This is epic comedy. Which supporters?

5 Likes

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by PrinceOfLagos: 5:48pm On Mar 30, 2022
Lalasticlala
Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by mighty2: 5:49pm On Mar 30, 2022
onumadu:
My smart money is now on Peter Obi to become the next president of Nigeria come 2023.
Okupe is not your average Joe in Nigerian politics. He knows a lot.
Congrats to Obi, the president in waiting.
pandora peter obituary will become president in which coutry, it must be in beerfraud

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Alexpre11: 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2022
Well... This may not be a bad idea for PDP, at the end of the day who ever emerge either by consensus or primary election can be rest assured of other initial aspirant for the ticket. Peter obi is a good choice for PDP no doubt, little or no baggages and not controversial

6 Likes

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by iCauseTrouble: 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2022
shocked
Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by slowice(m): 5:58pm On Mar 30, 2022
Men I don't envy the next president..... He's got alot to deal with and its going to be tough. But we need a seasoned technocrat, someone who know how to cut excesses and frivolities.

The worst mistake is to elect a normal politician.... Dem go do us "lai mohammed" for another 8yrs. Vibes and insha Allah only.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okupe Withdraws From Presidential Race, Ask Wike, Others To Support Obi by Salvador1: 5:58pm On Mar 30, 2022
Nice one

It's only a bittered soul is against Peter obi.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AMCON: Silverbird Galleria In Abuja Re-opened / Why Is Jimi Agbaje Always Playing The Politics Of Tribalism In Lagos? / Prisoners In Warri Protest Starvation By Delta State Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.