Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,046 members, 7,828,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election (65869 Views)

2023: ‘it’s My Turn’ – How Osinbajo, Amaechi Became Tinubu’s Foes / Tinubu: Gov Dapo Abiodun Wouldn't Have Been Governor Without Me / Okorocha Was Worth N50billion Before He Became Governor - Onwuasoanya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by naturefellow(m): 12:01pm On Mar 31, 2022
Fvck him all the same
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by yyba: 12:02pm On Mar 31, 2022
VladimirPutiin:
Another fact. Theodore Orji won the 2007 Abia state gubernatorial election while in prison. Infact Orji Uzor Kalu campaigned for him all through the period he was in Prison.
but his name was on the ballot
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by robinso01(m): 12:07pm On Mar 31, 2022
zomoears:

Technically, Yahaya Bello contested because there was a run off election with his name on the ballot. As at time of death,the election was inconclusive based on cancellations and some elections still outstanding. So when the bye elections held, it had his name!

Amaechi is the only one!
ok, i get ur point
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by robinso01(m): 12:09pm On Mar 31, 2022
NaijaOlosho:

Who killed the party candidate, or are you pointing hands on Yahaya ?? Just asking oo
. I think it is only the dead nd God that can answer this ur question. I knw nothing about his death.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by VladimirPutiin(m): 12:10pm On Mar 31, 2022
yyba:
but his name was on the ballot

Yes
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by yyba: 12:18pm On Mar 31, 2022
VladimirPutiin:

But he wasn’t announced winner before he died right ?

I really wish to know the circumstances surrounding his death and the emergence of Yahya Bello as governor.
YAHAYA BELLO emerge according to the constitution, in the event a candidate resign, death or disqualified before the election is concluded. The person that came second in the primaries shall replace the candidate, note.. YAHAYA BELLO came second and the constitution clearly stated . A candidate must participate in primaries for him / her to be elected as governor, and FALAKE the running mate to the late candidate did not participate in the primaries. In 2007 GEJ defeated TIMIPRE SILVA in bayelsa pdp govoernorship primaries . GEJ was later chosen as running mates to late YAR,ADU and timipre emerge as pdp candidate because he was next in line constitutionally. Another example is adamawa state in 1999 ATIKU was elected as governor of adamawa state but his deputy BONI HARUNA was sworn in as governor why ? Adamawa state election was already concluded and ATIKU was chosen as vice president to OBASANJO. Kogi and bayelsa election was not concluded as far election and constitution are concerned

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by VladimirPutiin(m): 12:26pm On Mar 31, 2022
yyba:
YAHAYA BELLO emerge according to the constitution, in the event a candidate resign, death or disqualified before the election is concluded. The person that came second in the primaries shall replace the candidate, note.. YAHAYA BELLO came second and the constitution clearly stated . A candidate must participate in primaries for him / her to be elected as governor, and FALAKE the running mate to the late candidate did not participate in the primaries. In 2007 GEJ defeated TIMIPRE SILVA in bayelsa pdp governor. GEJ was later chosen as running mates to late YAR,ADU and timipre emerge as pdo candidate because he was next in line constitutionally. Another example is adamawa state in 1999 ATIKU was elected as governor of adamawa state but his deputy was sworn in as governor wyh ? Adamawa state election was already concluded and ATIKU was chosen as vice president to OBASANJO. Kogi and bayelsa election was not concluded as far election and constitution are concerned

Wow... Thanks for this piece of info. I have really learnt a lot. Nairaland is truly filled with lots of political gurus. Lastly was Kogi state election inconclusive before Abubakar Audu died or the result was about to be announced ??.

And if he was announced winner before he died then Faleke would have become governor. I remember Faleke challenging the case in court.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Munzy14(m): 12:50pm On Mar 31, 2022
VladimirPutiin:

I thought Abubakar Audu died after the APC primary election ??

Or was it after the gubernatorial election?
Yahaya bello was exactly same as Amaechi...In fact he didn't spend on court stuffs..

He only came second in the primaries..

Instead of giving james faleke who was Audu running mate, they gave it to Yeye bello according to Fayose..grin

Same happened to Atiku when oBJ picked him for vice.

Similarly in Bayelsa when goodluck was chosen. After removal of DSP alamesiaya
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by VladimirPutiin(m): 12:54pm On Mar 31, 2022
Munzy14:

Yahaya bello was exactly same as Amaechi...In fact he didn't spend on court stuffs..

He only came second in the primaries..

Instead of giving james faleke who was Audu running mate, they gave it to Yeye bello according to Fayose..grin

But it’s clearly stated in the constitution.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Munzy14(m): 12:58pm On Mar 31, 2022
VladimirPutiin:

But it’s clearly stated in the constitution.
What happened in kaduna when Namadi sambo was chosen as VP?
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Ohuhunsulurep: 1:01pm On Mar 31, 2022
Yea seriously?
Have you forgotten so soon?
What about hopeless uzodinjo?
Of imo state.
(The supreme Court governor)
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by garfield1: 1:02pm On Mar 31, 2022
Munzy14:

His deputy beccame governor because he was already in office

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by yyba: 1:05pm On Mar 31, 2022
VladimirPutiin:

Wow... Thanks for this piece of info. I have really learnt a lot. Nairaland is truly filled with lots of political gurus. Lastly was Kogi state election inconclusive before Abubakar Audu died or the result was about to be announced ??.

And if he was announced winner before he died then Faleke would have become governor. I remember Faleke challenging the case in court.
in the case of kogi the election was still ongoing not concluded, if the election was concluded and inec announce audu as winner and within 1 second he later died automatically FALEKE will be sworn in as governor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by VladimirPutiin(m): 1:13pm On Mar 31, 2022
yyba:
in the case of kogi the election was still ongoing not concluded, if the election was concluded and inec announce audu as winner and within 1 second he later died automatically FALEKE will be sworn in as governor

Ok thanks
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by VladimirPutiin(m): 1:14pm On Mar 31, 2022
Munzy14:

Was Sambo already a sitting governor ??

Pls you can tell me as I’m open to learn and know where I’m wrong. Thanks
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by tempest01(m): 1:38pm On Mar 31, 2022
Cajal:

Dead candidate has no identity in Nigeria and any other place

It's now constitutional when it does happen again God forbids, it's the runner up in the primary of the party that won that will be made executive Governor

You are talking nonsense. The law was clear what to do when a candidate dies before election and what to do if a candidate dies before swearing in.

In this case a candidate died during elections. Without any law on that, and since elections started, the law still sees him as the candidate, till after the elections.

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Munzy14(m): 1:52pm On Mar 31, 2022
VladimirPutiin:

Was Sambo already a sitting governor ??

Pls you can tell me as I’m open to learn and know where I’m wrong. Thanks
I confused the whole thing..It was meant to be before the final conclusion of an election..

In essence...Only yahaya bello and Amaechi qualified for the topic.

And the guy who took over from Atiku in old Gongola now called Adamawa state.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Misterone: 2:31pm On Mar 31, 2022
amzee:
The Nigerian Politician Who Became Governor Without Participating In Election

It is a fact that the candidate/Party with the
majority of votes is qualified to be declared
the winner of any Election in Nigeria.
Despite the fact that specific factors were
involved, Rotimi Amaechi, the immediate Past
Governor of Rivers State and the current
Minister of Transportation, became Governors
without participating in the Election.

How Did This Happen?

Amaechi was the winner of the PDP
Governorship Primaries in Rivers State in
However, during the April 2007 General
Elections, his name was replaced with that of
Sir Celestine Omehia, who appeared on the
ballot.

The People Democratic Party, PDP won the
election, Amaechi then went to court, and on
October 26, 2007, the Supreme Court ruled in
his favor and ordered Omehia's removal as
Governor of Rivers State, as well as the
issuance of a Certificate of Return to Amaechi,
who was the Authentic Winner of the PDP
Gubernatorial Primaries.

Amaechi remains the only Nigerian politician
to have accomplished this achievement till
date.
party primary elections are part of the election proper. they produce the candidates
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by bizzibodi(m): 2:32pm On Mar 31, 2022
Truthisunique2:
He always had a date with destiny

I admire the rise

President next as e dey always shock dem
As far as i am concern Rotimi Ameachi is d most performing minister in this administration.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Cajal(m): 2:49pm On Mar 31, 2022
tempest01:

You are talking nonsense. The law was clear what to do when a candidate dies before election and what to do if a candidate dies before swearing in.

In this case a candidate died during elections. Without any law on that, and since elections started, the law still sees him as the candidate, till after the elections.
Am sorry if I have offended you
Am trying to say what the law of the land says now concerning death of a candidate just before conclusion of an election
As at the time when it happened in kongi..there was nothing to suggest either deputy nor runner up in the primary should be declared winner. What they did then was to seek opinion of the minister of justice who asked the INEC to recognize the runner up in the person of yahyah Bello.
Shortly after that, the NASS sponsored a bill on that and then became constitutional.
So I don't know where you practice your own law
Maybe it is in Bujumbura

1 Like

Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by tempest01(m): 2:59pm On Mar 31, 2022
Cajal:

Am sorry if I have offended you
Am trying to say what the law of the land says now concerning death of a candidate just before conclusion of an election
As at the time when it happened in kongi..there was nothing to suggest either deputy nor runner up in the primary should be declared winner. What they did then was to seek opinion of the minister of justice who asked the INEC to recognize the runner up in the person of yahyah Bello.
Shortly after that, the NASS sponsored a bill on that and then became constitutional.
So I don't know where you practice your own law
Maybe it is in Bujumbura

There was. I read on it then.

It said if INEC is informed of the death before elections, he can be replaced. If he dies before swearing in, the deputy should be sworn in.

In this case he died after the elections was started, declared inconclusive by inec and scheduled to be completed. So technically, he should have completed the elections he started in and then the part of the law that had to do with swearing in applies.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by emorse(m): 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2022
VladimirPutiin:

Lol. Thanks for the correction. I had mistaken the names.
You're welcome bro.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by amzee(m): 3:14pm On Mar 31, 2022
yyba:
How about YAHAYA BELLO of kogi state ?
Yahaya Bello came 2nd in the primary election
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Kdon2: 5:22pm On Mar 31, 2022
amzee:
The Nigerian Politician Who Became Governor Without Participating In Election

It is a fact that the candidate/Party with the
majority of votes is qualified to be declared
the winner of any Election in Nigeria.
Despite the fact that specific factors were
involved, Rotimi Amaechi, the immediate Past
Governor of Rivers State and the current
Minister of Transportation, became Governors
without participating in the Election.

How Did This Happen?

Amaechi was the winner of the PDP
Governorship Primaries in Rivers State in
However, during the April 2007 General
Elections, his name was replaced with that of
Sir Celestine Omehia, who appeared on the
ballot.

The People Democratic Party, PDP won the
election, Amaechi then went to court, and on
October 26, 2007, the Supreme Court ruled in
his favor and ordered Omehia's removal as
Governor of Rivers State, as well as the
issuance of a Certificate of Return to Amaechi,
who was the Authentic Winner of the PDP
Gubernatorial Primaries.

Amaechi remains the only Nigerian politician
to have accomplished this achievement till
date.

What an achievement indeed! An eyesore to sensible Nigerians.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by yyba: 5:28pm On Mar 31, 2022
amzee:

Yahaya Bello came 2nd in the primary election
didn't AMEACHI participate in the primaries also ?
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by amzee(m): 5:46pm On Mar 31, 2022
yyba:
didn't AMEACHI participate in the primaries also ?
He participated and won but his name was committed on the ballot paper.
Its a different scenario from Yahaya Bello's
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by amzee(m): 5:47pm On Mar 31, 2022
Kdon2:

What an achievement indeed! An eyesore to sensible Nigerians.
An eye opener for the gullible ones like you
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by MetaPhysical: 6:10pm On Mar 31, 2022
Senator Orji Kalu, same thing. He was in prison when he was elected governor.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Advancedman(m): 7:11pm On Mar 31, 2022
tempest01:
Yahaya bello didn't contest too na.

This in my opinion was one of the most lawless action ever taken by INEC and co in the country, claiming necessity.

The most legal thing that ought to have been done in that scenario was to complete the postponed elections with the dead candidate since elections started before his death and then subsequently swear in the vice.

The biggest fraud ever that vice must be a godly man.

Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by MNDY(m): 7:47pm On Mar 31, 2022
tempest01:
Yahaya bello didn't contest too na.

This in my opinion was one of the most lawless action ever taken by INEC and co in the country, claiming necessity.

The most legal thing that ought to have been done in that scenario was to complete the postponed elections with the dead candidate since elections started before his death and then subsequently swear in the deputy.

The law was clear what to do before elections started and the candidate dies, it was also clear what to do if they die before swearing in. Elections started and was inconclusive before he died. It should have been completed as it was before the second part of the law kicked in.

He was already leading by a wide margin. No need to finish the election. Swearing in his deputy would require that they both were in power already. The phrase "swear in" is meant for the governor himself actually; a deputy only takes over. The court ruled that it's a party affair. The party did not really do wrong to replace late Audu with the second position in the primary Yahaya Bello.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by tempest01(m): 7:50pm On Mar 31, 2022
MNDY:

He was already leading by a wide margin. No need to finish the election. Swearing in his deputy would require that they both were in power already. The phrase "swear in" is meant for the governor himself actually; a deputy only takes over. The court ruled that it's a party affair. The party did not really do wrong to replace late Audu with the second position in the primary Yahaya Bello.

Wrong. There was provision in the law as at then for the deputy to be sworn in if the candidate that won the election died and wasn't sworn in.
Re: Amaechi Became Governor Without Participating In Election by Kdon2: 8:56pm On Mar 31, 2022
amzee:

An eye opener for the gullible ones like you

Indeed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Jide Sanwo-Olu Apologises To Lagosians / Femi Fani-Kayode Blasts Anthony Joshua For Prostrating Before Buhari / Abubakar Shekau Before Boko Haram As Rare Video Of Him Lecturing Emerges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.