Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,820 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor (24240 Views)

Governor Dave Umahi Wins Ebonyi South Senate Seat / Dave Umahi: I Remain Governor Of Ebonyi State / "I Remain Governor Of Osun State" - Gboyega Oyetola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by PointZerom: 3:46pm On Apr 01, 2022
Landmack:
Congrats

Now continue to pepper Ipob miscreants terrorists

Make sure u finish all the projects in ur state
Lastly,start recalling all ur runaway miscreant indigenes causing chaos in Anambra state

Na so,
This judgement is different from the other one.
He will be removed...mark my word.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by obinnajohnson: 3:46pm On Apr 01, 2022
I knew it would get to this! APC is really an evil party.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by AKWATGOLD1(m): 3:54pm On Apr 01, 2022
Power jam Power
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by kahal29: 3:57pm On Apr 01, 2022
PointZerom:

Na so,
This judgement is different from the other one.
He will be removed...mark my word.

Also mark my word....

He wont be removed

The PDP Case will go the same

Reason......?

The Appellate Court in an unanimous judgement delivered by a three-man Panel (Justices A O Belgore, J O K Oyewole and Sybil Nwaka-Gbagi), held that, the defection of a political office holder may appear immoral, but it was not the duty of the Court to embark on investigation or probe into the provisions of the laws, warning that judicial activism must not be turned into judicial rascality.

The Appellate Court further held that there is no provision in sections 180, 188 or 189 of the 1999 constitution as amended, that empowers the Court to remove either a seating governor or the deputy.

According to the learned Justices, defection of an office holder is not novel to Nigeria’s judicial jurisprudence

Umahi vs Ogboji, 2022

1 Like

Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by PointZerom: 4:06pm On Apr 01, 2022
kahal29:

Also mark my word....

He wont be removed

The PDP Case will go the same

Reason......?

In the recent history in Kogi state, when Abubakar Audu died in the middle of an election, the Court said the votes that Audu had already gathered before he died belonged to the party, and those votes were accredited to the APC.

Even when PDP said no, cancel the election and re-conduct, the Court said no, we don’t need to cancel the election, the party that contested the election is still on ground, even though their agent has died, it doesn’t matter”.

In the case of Umahi , the PDP went to Court and said, “we are the owners of the votes, Ebonyi people gave us the votes, we are the owners of the mandate. This man was a mere flag bearer, he decided to leave us, he cannot go with our mandate, let him drop our mandate and leave on his own”

1 Like

Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by brightalo1010: 4:28pm On Apr 01, 2022
Rugaria:
Nigerias judiciary is in its worst star since independence. They have become the biggest joke in this country..
Relocate to Russia or keep quiet.

Can post the part of the constitution that will make them to sack the governor or you just want to be emotional
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Pastorsmile: 4:29pm On Apr 01, 2022
The previous judgement was never supposed to hold. Why? If it does, it means every other person elected
on a particular party who won and later decamped to another would all be nulified. I do not think Nigeria can handle that now
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by techWriter3: 4:30pm On Apr 01, 2022
kill yourself ... Hmmm, check my_profi.le if you need help with your thesis, dissertation, or assignment.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by kahal29: 4:32pm On Apr 01, 2022
PointZerom:

In the recent history in Kogi state, when Abubakar Audu died in the middle of an election, the Court said the votes that Audu had already gathered before he died belonged to the party, and those votes were accredited to the APC.

Even when PDP said no, cancel the election and re-conduct, the Court said no, we don’t need to cancel the election, the party that contested the election is still on ground, even though their agent has died, it doesn’t matter”.

In the case of Umahi , the PDP went to Court and said, “we are the owners of the votes, Ebonyi people gave us the votes, we are the owners of the mandate. This man was a mere flag bearer, he decided to leave us, he cannot go with our mandate, let him drop our mandate and leave on his own”

Unfortunately the Nigerian constitution did not prescribe this method as way of removing a serving governor so he stays.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by chukel(m): 4:36pm On Apr 01, 2022
fergie001:

You are not getting the point.

They are two different cases:

PDP v Umahi, Igwe, APC & INEC (Federal High Court, Abuja)
Sonny Ogbuoji & Ogodo v Umahi, Igwe (Ebonyi High Court)

The second one is what the judge is ruling on. Sonny Ogbuoji was the 2019 APC Guber candidate, Ogodo was his Deputy. If you look carefully, neither the PDP nor INEC was in their suit.

Even if they are given judgement, INEC won't act because they aren't parties to the suit.

The first one is still before the Appeal Court in Abuja.

I still believe that of Abuja will still keep him. It's straightforward.
always objective with facts

1 Like

Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by olibeans: 4:48pm On Apr 01, 2022
The law is useless here.
What thrives here is lawlessness. Kidnappings, killings, rituals, drugs and all the evil things your mind can conjure up
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by uniquelyspecial(m): 4:54pm On Apr 01, 2022
bestman09:
sad
Nothing to jubilate about here. This case is different from the main case between PDP and umahi/inec at the federal high court
Thank you for using your head.... Most of them here did not know ooo.

Na only to defend who no know them dey sabi
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Dbarrzx: 4:55pm On Apr 01, 2022
Make Supreme court transfer am to Edo...we are tired of MOU without work.

1 Like

Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Kingabia1998(m): 5:05pm On Apr 01, 2022
dedonfranco:
Ebonyi State should transfer their Governor to My State (Abia)

Appeal Court should sack Okezie Ikpeazu for being a Useless Governor
Please increase the volume
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by fergie001: 5:13pm On Apr 01, 2022
Fahdiga:
I understand. I'm eagerly waiting for the appeal and supreme court to sack him
You & APC sef grin grin

You no dey gree cool

1 Like

Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by PointZerom: 5:27pm On Apr 01, 2022
kahal29:

Unfortunately the Nigerian constitution did not prescribe this method as way of removing a serving governor so he stays.

A governor can decamp if there's crisis in party but Umahi decamped because according to him PDP won't give him ticket for president.
Since there was no crisis and he decamped he'll return the stolen mandate.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Odidigboigbo(m): 6:15pm On Apr 01, 2022
Igbofam:

PDP....failure cheesy

PDP ntoor

All these PDP politicians with zero acumen think they can circumvent the law grin

PDP Fanboys on NL how market?
Read and understand, this a case between him and APC candidate in 2019 election, it has nothing to do with previous one instituted by PDP that was ruled against him.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Fahdiga(m): 6:27pm On Apr 01, 2022
fergie001:

You & APC sef grin grin

You no dey gree cool
grin grin grin. You no go understand bro
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by kahal29: 6:27pm On Apr 01, 2022
PointZerom:

A governor can decamp if there's crisis in party but Umahi decamped because according to him PDP won't give him ticket for president.
Since there was no crisis and he decamped he'll return the stolen mandate.

My Man

Umahi is going no where
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Tareq1105: 6:42pm On Apr 01, 2022
Fahdiga:
This black market judgement cannot stand the scrutiny of supreme court

We've always told you people that Wike procured the high court judgement.

It's not written anywhere in the constitution or Electoral Act that president, vice president, governor, or deputy governor should be removed on account of defection.

See Atiku vs AGF (2007) and I'm happy the judge cited it. It's a judgement of supreme court.

I don't know what else you Ipob wanted. Law is not about your emotions but law.

Wike bought the earlier judgement but can he buy the entire Nigerian judiciary? No.

So Ayade and Umahi should be allowed to continue with the works they were elected to do.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Tareq1105: 6:54pm On Apr 01, 2022
Odidigboigbo:
Read and understand, this a case between him and APC candidate in 2019 election, it has nothing to do with previous one instituted by PDP that was ruled against him.

I've just listened to Ray Power 6pm news on the judgement.

Justice Belgore said that there was no ambiguity in the constitution.

That a governor cannot be removed on account of defection to another political party.

He cited supreme court judgement in Atiku vs AGF (2007). This is the highest court in the land. My brother this is the law.

The earlier judgement was procured by Wike and he said it himself. He told Umahi that he was the one behind his ordeal.

Have you read the reaction of Mike Ezekhome on that judgement? Go and read it. This is the judgement. The Court of Appeal Judges are not Wike Judges. They have integrity.

Wike has his Judges but he cannot buy everybody in the judiciary.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Tareq1105: 7:13pm On Apr 01, 2022
neoclassical:
This case is between Umahi and his fellow APC member, who contested against him in the last election . The one delivered by Justice Ekwo in favour of PDP is still pending at Appeal Court.

Why are you people so naive?

You guys can't reason. Drop your emotions and read the law. You can determine a Case by reading the constitution, electoral act or extant rules.

What is giving you the confidence that Umahi will lose at the Appeal Court?

Is it bcoz Wike paid for the judgement of the high court?

Judges at the Appeal Court are not Wike Judges. They have integrity.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by ultimateprof: 7:38pm On Apr 01, 2022
Sincerely politics is a game. The purpose of all this is just to distract Dave Ummahi from the presidential race and Tinubu have succeeded in his act. Dave is still a learner in Nigeria politics.
Nevertheless, he is going to complete his second tenor, but I doubt if he has not used his hands to bury his political carrier.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by PointZerom: 8:57pm On Apr 01, 2022
kahal29:

My Man

Umahi is going no where

E don chock you.

He's already gone.
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by adekolaelect(m): 9:03pm On Apr 01, 2022
Fahdiga:
Black market ko Red market ni,...,....... You will wail tire .Today na black but yesterday was white market judgement?

Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by Fahdiga(m): 10:48pm On Apr 01, 2022
adekolaelect:
Black market ko Red market ni,...,....... You will wail tire .Today na black but yesterday was white market judgement?
Shatap
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by kahal29: 2:18am On Apr 02, 2022
Tareq1105:

We've always told you people that Wike procured the high court judgement.

It's not written anywhere in the constitution or Electoral Act that president, vice president, governor, or deputy governor should be removed on account of defection.

See Atiku vs AGF (2007) and I'm happy the judge cited it. It's a judgement of supreme court.

I don't know what else you Ipob wanted. Law is not about your emotions but law.

Wike bought the earlier judgement but can he buy the entire Nigerian judiciary? No.

So Ayade and Umahi should be allowed to continue with the works they were elected to do.

Abeg help me tell them
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by kahal29: 2:23am On Apr 02, 2022
PointZerom:

E don chock you.

He's already gone.

We will see....

Remember to save this post
Re: Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor by softwareman(m): 5:50am On Apr 02, 2022
Fahdiga:
When a judgement favours you, it is JUST.
If a judgement does not favour you, it is UNJUST.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Babatunde Gbadamosi Asks Obidients To Defend Themselves / Ogun: Gbenga Daniel Asks Abiodun To Stop His Monthly Pension, Allowances / We’ll Hold Buhari, APC To “3 Million Jobs A Year” Pledge – NLC, TUC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.