Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,972 members, 7,810,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? (23376 Views)

Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? / Is This Car Really Nissan Pathfinder 2006 Model? / 3.9m For 2005 Corolla: Is It Really Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by 2braithe: 11:04pm On Apr 01, 2022
So I'm currently in 300 level with a plan to leave the country immediately after my NYSC.
Since I'm studying a 4 year course in a private uni,I have about 3 years more in this country.

I wish to get a car with a budget of 3.5 to 3.8 million naira.
Due to the 3 years duration coupled with police harassing young car owners.

Is a car really worth buying now or I should jejely wait till I move??

I need inputs please.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by 2braithe: 11:05pm On Apr 01, 2022
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by HarunaWest(m): 11:21pm On Apr 01, 2022
Use Uber or Bolt guy. A vehicle comes with great responsibility. I haven't owned a vehicle even though I can afford it. I can not do fuel, mechanic or road rage madness. I am too lazy for that mehn....

177 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Benki003(m): 11:37pm On Apr 01, 2022
Get one bruh easy access to the p***y grin grin

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Nozino: 6:55am On Apr 02, 2022
2braithe:
So I'm currently in 300 level with a plan to leave the country immediately after my NYSC.
Since I'm studying a 4 year course in a private uni,I have about 3 years more in this country.

Due to the 3 years duration coupled with police harassing young car owners.Is a car really worth buying now or I should jejely wait till I move??

I need inputs please.

A car is suppose to aid mobility and generally make your life easier. Some people like suffer and trekking, if you’re in that group, a car will look like luxury to you .

235 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by 2braithe: 8:44am On Apr 02, 2022
HarunaWest:
Use Uber or Bolt guy. A vehicle comes with great responsibility. I haven't owned a vehicle even though I can afford it. I can not do fuel, mechanic or road rage madness. I am too lazy for that mehn....

Thanks for the input.

6 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by 2braithe: 9:10am On Apr 02, 2022
Nozino:

A car is suppose to aid mobility and generally make your life easier. Some people like suffer and trekking, if you’re in that group, a car will look like luxury to you .
A car doesn't look like a luxury to me.

You didn't put my metrics into consideration.
1.I have only 3 years more in the country.
2.Police wahala.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 9:14am On Apr 02, 2022
You're in 300 level studying a four year course with three years remaining

Having a car stopped being a luxury in Nigeria years ago but rather a necessity so I'll say you should get one but since you're also trying to avoid police disturbance then I'll suggest you get one that'll keep you under the radar maybe an Accord, Volvo or Jetta (you can get direct toks for the last two way below your budget and still enjoy your driving)

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 02, 2022
Yes if you can afford and maintain one comfortably while being focused and not deviating from the goal..

Infact a car at your level would open doors, network and contacts amongst peers for you because majority can't afford one at 300level. People would include you in business ideas even without knowing your worth. most-times people assume we are worth our cars at first impression, which tends to open doors faster than usual especially in Nigeria.

Note: 3.5m tokunbo car is an average car in Nigeria, nothing too flashy or spectacular.

26 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Legendrysailor(m): 10:22am On Apr 02, 2022
Hell yeah !!!!

Buying a car is nice investment if only it is used for the purpose of generating income and for official duties anything aside from d two things I just mentioned is total frivolity to me especially if u are not bouyant enough.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Greystone: 10:22am On Apr 02, 2022
2braithe:

I need inputs please.

Don’t buy a car to impress anyone.
Unless you intend to use a car for Bolt or Uber or for hustling, a car is a liability.

Considering the fact that u only have 3 years before leaving the country, I suggest u get a small fuel efficient toyota corolla or honda civic which will not get you harassed by police and will be very easy to sell wen u want to leave the country.

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by johnjay4u2u(m): 10:22am On Apr 02, 2022
Yes and no.
The above is based on incomplete facts from your points.
If your parents are bankrolling you and will continue to after school, then Yes. Because if you are under parents that can afford funding you till you save up to get a car, then police would be least of your problems (Your class of parents will always know someone that know someone that knows the police)

Yes, point 2. Yes, get a personal car if you are bankrolling yourself in a legit business because you will need a car to facelift your business and get things sorted out faster. Clients also fell safer seeing you comfortable. (In Nigeria,most people will pick an engineer with a car over one with bicycle for a job. LOL)
When getting the car, go for the uncommon brands attached to yahoo boys. You gerrit?
Say range of 2.4 to 2.8m
While driving, always look responsible. It's normal all over the world for police to stop any young black man with dreadlocks, ice on the neck, dirty jeans etc driving a car.

No, don't buy a car if;
1.Parents are bankrolling presently but will stop after school
2. If you drink alcohol to stupor (you fit crash am)
3. You just want to use it as show off or to catch chicks . lol

All said and done, you know which you will do and take responsibility for the decision.

32 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by fitinwell: 10:22am On Apr 02, 2022
No

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by EmmaLege: 10:22am On Apr 02, 2022
cry

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by ademidedavid(f): 10:23am On Apr 02, 2022
A car should be a neccesity and not a luxury,if you think it will aid your movement to school and within the school as a result of insufficient transportation system in your school and thus help you academically and you can maintain it effortlessly then you go for it boy but if it's the other way round, for hyping....to join the big boys, to impress and to oppress.......please let it go make he no be say na the motor go send you to early journey.

That cost self too high for a student vehicle abeg

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Legalcriminal: 10:23am On Apr 02, 2022
It worth buying but be ready to give Nigeria police money every fucking point if you don’t want bullet in your head

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by yuzjet(m): 10:23am On Apr 02, 2022
angry
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by StrikeBack(m): 10:23am On Apr 02, 2022
Yes. In a stupid country like Nigeria where people celebrate owning a car

New whip alert!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by emmyw(m): 10:23am On Apr 02, 2022
Benki003:
You Need Common Sense Asap

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by McOluOmo: 10:23am On Apr 02, 2022
Benki003:
shagging tinz cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 10:23am On Apr 02, 2022
G

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Ayomiddee: 10:24am On Apr 02, 2022
Here for the comments
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by iCauseTrouble: 10:24am On Apr 02, 2022
v
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Destinylink(m): 10:24am On Apr 02, 2022
T
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by heykims(m): 10:24am On Apr 02, 2022
Sincerely, I don't know why this is on front page. U need the public to make such decision for you?

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by onunwa21(m): 10:24am On Apr 02, 2022
Car is a necessity now!!!
No longer a luxury!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by fitinwell: 10:24am On Apr 02, 2022
2braithe:

I need inputs please.

Guy don't come here and intimidate us oo..

It's your plan and your decision..

Forget about other excuses..

You do not need other people's opinion on your personal matters

6 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by ednut1(m): 10:24am On Apr 02, 2022
Buy an average looking car

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Johnjanrt: 10:24am On Apr 02, 2022
A necessity really.
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by GooodHardDick: 10:25am On Apr 02, 2022
Having a car is not a must but however having a car is very necessary!

To poor people, having a car is like luxury while to the rich having a car makes it easier to go around.

5 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by harmargedon: 10:25am On Apr 02, 2022
It depends on what you need the car for. If after schooling you wouldn't be needing the car, then I'll advice you not to get it, since you're already in your 300 level. For the police wahala, it's going to come heavy on you, and if you're not the wahala or talking type then you should also avoid getting one. A car is a necessity, if you need a quite and stress free ride, you can simply get a taxi, at least you would avoid the heat from the police.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Micra Taxis In Ibadan: Necessity Or Menace? / All New Mercedes A-class Sedan Revealed (photos) / How Reliable Is Lexus Rx300? In Terms Of Fuel Economy, Availability Of Parts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.