Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,863 members, 7,817,557 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? (23407 Views)

Are CNG Car Conversion Really Worth It? / Is This Car Really Nissan Pathfinder 2006 Model? / 3.9m For 2005 Corolla: Is It Really Worth It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by GIANTPLUSHUB: 10:26am On Apr 02, 2022
Yes. Very worth it.

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Acidosis(m): 10:26am On Apr 02, 2022
What do you want to do with a car in a private school? Where are you going to? Hostel to class?

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by princeSammyz: 10:28am On Apr 02, 2022
Avoid the exotics. Get a simple car of 2mil so as to keep away police wahala. Sell off when you wanna leave the country, and send me a 100k from our balance to get a bike. Trekking wan kill me for here. Lol. The thanks comes in later.

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by TheOldGods: 10:28am On Apr 02, 2022
HarunaWest:
Use Uber or Bolt guy. A vehicle comes with great responsibility. I haven't owned a vehicle even though I can afford it. I can not do fuel, mechanic or road rage madness. I am too lazy for that mehn....
you can't afford it yet. Buying a car, doesn't mean you can afford it as long as you can't buy fuel and maintain it, you can't afford a car yet.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by 9japride(m): 10:28am On Apr 02, 2022
Having a car is not a big deal, it's for ease of mobility. You can get a sound Toyota spec to avoid preying eyes from security agents and bad belle people since you are trying to leave the country. Funds for your traveling out should be kept safely. You should use this period to experiment on how to take care of a car especially maintenance. Having a car comes with so much responsibility.

5 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 02, 2022
Get one Op

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by TheOldGods: 10:29am On Apr 02, 2022
2braithe:
So I'm currently in 300 level with a plan to leave the country immediately after my NYSC.
Since I'm studying a 4 year course in a private uni,I have about 3 years more in this country.

I wish to get a car with a budget of 3.5 to 3.8 million naira.
Due to the 3 years duration coupled with police harassing young car owners.

Is a car really worth buying now or I should jejely wait till I move??

I need inputs please.
this doesn't make sense. What are you doing with a car in private university? Where will you be parking it. I think the problem with you right now is peer pressure. You want to show off or belong in the society. You're a student and no source of income as you mentioned above, but Lt you want to show off. No wahala. I'll advice you to then buy a Benz, add more money and get a Benz then show off all you want.

He who thinks he knows, but doesn't know he does not know, and does not want to know, is a fool.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by mastermaestro(m): 10:29am On Apr 02, 2022
Why are you so concerned about police harassment? Are you into shady acts? I used a car while in the university. I had a valid drivers license with complete vehicle papers. I passed police points all the time without fear because I didn’t do shit to acquire the vehicle.

Look inwards dude!

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by GooodHardDick: 10:30am On Apr 02, 2022
HarunaWest:
Use Uber or Bolt guy. A vehicle comes with great responsibility. I haven't owned a vehicle even though I can afford it. I can not do fuel, mechanic or road rage madness. I am too lazy for that mehn....

In a conclusion. You can't afford a car. Stop this trash you're saying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by harmargedon: 10:30am On Apr 02, 2022
GooodHardDick:
Having a car is not a must but however having a car is very necessary!

To poor people, having a car is like luxury while to the rich having a car makes it easier to go around.
you should say to Nigerians or some part of Africa.
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Advancedman(m): 10:30am On Apr 02, 2022
2braithe:
So I'm currently in 300 level with a plan to leave the country immediately after my NYSC.
Since I'm studying a 4 year course in a private uni,I have about 3 years more in this country.

I need inputs please.

Honestly you should just live a quiet student life and use your money to build assets you can even invest in your choice country of relocation so when you finally get there you are already a man as I don't want to use the term big boy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Snoopyjaga: 10:31am On Apr 02, 2022
Guy when you buy a car , you'll start to wonder how you've lived without it since all this days. .. especially a reliable one ..

don't go for all this fancy one you see people buying , buy a Toyota/Lexus product, toks , trust me 2 months in you'll be thanking God you got it ... Unless you live in an area with bad road , you'll only visit the mechanic once in every 3 months ,

and forget , once your papers are complete police won't disturb you , unless of course you tint your car like an armed robber .. try to always resell your car after 1 year or 1 and half year of use ... And buy another .. don't let your car spend more than a year and half with you . My opinion

You can even register for bolt and drive around meet some beautiful chicks when you're bored .. a car is something you'll still get later in life. . why not now . Don't let sufferness master you bro . grin

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by dhoncesar(m): 10:31am On Apr 02, 2022
I'll suggest you don't buy any. Stick to bolt or uber. There is no point in buying a car that is not your taste all because you want to avoid embarrassment. You will not enjoy yourself in it. And the car will turn liability for you later on. Save more bro when you get outside the country you can use the money to buy a more luxury ride and no one will disturb you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by sinkhole: 10:31am On Apr 02, 2022
2braithe:

I need inputs please.
I will advice you leave the car. Focus on trying to "japa", the money you have now, will come in handy when you're finally ready to move!
I have a car myself, but I am not trying to japa, so, I keep my car!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:32am On Apr 02, 2022
It 'll depends on you and what you stand to gain from using it.....

1 Like

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by TooMuchStuff: 10:33am On Apr 02, 2022
Had wanted using a Car at my 200L sef if I had the money then. But after NYSC I bought my first Ride. Nothing gives security to u and your small family like your private car. The days in Nigeria are bloody at every point but ya personal car can reduce this narrative. You can easily sell it off when leaving the country. Easy money.

If Dr Chinelo was driving herself in her own car last Monday night, she would have been alive today cos she could make smart detours to safety.

Car is not Luxury but safety machine in Nigeria of Buhari govt. Go ahead and buy one. But 1.5M max should be enough for a student car.

Cheers

4 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by peacettw: 10:34am On Apr 02, 2022
Yes as long as you understand that it is not an investment. That's why I am yet to comprehend why people of sane minds spend tens of millions of naira on a metal that will depreciate in value over time.

2 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by GooodHardDick: 10:34am On Apr 02, 2022
harmargedon:
you should say to Nigerians or some part of Africa.

To poor people, having a car is like luxury and complete waste of money. They are too poor in their mindset that they do not see any reasons for one to buy a car.

If you mistakenly buy a car. You have automatically become their enemy

8 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by kay29000(m): 10:35am On Apr 02, 2022
ednut1:
Buy an average looking car, you are probably a medical student put the stick there. Travelling upandan to school and in town is more risky. One chance, ritualists etc dey town

He is studying a 4 year course, he is definitely not a medical student.
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Originalsly: 10:36am On Apr 02, 2022
I think you should not buy a car. Maybe in two years time when you are mature enough. Needing help to know if you need a car shows you are not matured enough to be a car owner.

3 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by samuelevans(m): 10:40am On Apr 02, 2022
lol, i can't just stop laughing, Nigerian and their shows, you mean you don't have friends or family to advice you on this, unless #land??
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by kay29000(m): 10:40am On Apr 02, 2022
Snoopyjaga:
Guy when you buy a car , you'll start to wonder how you've lived without it since all this days. .. especially a reliable one ..

don't go for all this fancy one you see people buying , buy a Toyota/Lexus product, toks , trust me 2 months in you'll be thanking God you got it ... Unless you live in an area with bad road , you'll only visit the mechanic once in every 3 months ,

and forget , once your papers are complete police won't disturb you , unless of course you tint your car like an armed robber .. try to always resell your car after 1 year or 1 and half year of use ... And buy another .. don't let your car spend more than a year and half with you . My opinion

You can even register for bolt and drive around meet some beautiful chicks when you're bored .. a car is something you'll still get later in life. . why not now . Don't let sufferness master you bro . grin

You said he shouldn't buy fancy car, then in the same paragraph, you ask him to buy LEXUS? And you think police won't stop him all the time driving a Lexus.
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by 2braithe: 10:41am On Apr 02, 2022
MASTAkiLLAh:
You're in 300 level studying a four year course with three years remaining

Having a car stopped being a luxury in Nigeria years ago but rather a necessity so I'll say you should get one but since you're also trying to avoid police disturbance then I'll suggest you get one that'll keep you under the radar maybe an Accord, Volvo or Jetta (you can get direct toks for the last two way below your budget and still enjoy your driving)

300 level-2022
400 level-2023
NYSC-2024
It is less than 3 years since a session is less than a year.I rounded it up to 3 years.

Thanks a lot for the advice!!
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Munzy14(m): 10:41am On Apr 02, 2022
HarunaWest:
Honestly speaking you are right.

If one doesnt have an income coming in every month, owning a car is a no no..

Because at a point he will buy car 3m and sell it 1.m grin grin When he can't bear it anymore...Dealers will reap him plus mechanic.

Buying car should be a necessity and means to make work faster with a sure earning afterwards.
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by 2braithe: 10:43am On Apr 02, 2022
Esseite:
Yes if you can afford and maintain one comfortably while being focused and not deviating from the goal..

Infact a car at your level would open doors, network and contacts amongst peers for you because majority can't afford one at 300level. People would include you in business ideas even without knowing your worth. most-times people assume we are worth our cars at first impression, which tends to open doors faster than usual especially in Nigeria.

Note: 3.5m tokunbo car is an average car in Nigeria, nothing too flashy or spectacular.

Noted thanks.
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by Hannover(m): 10:43am On Apr 02, 2022
HarunaWest:

Exactly me too. Although I have been driving for more than 12 years.... I don't see the need to buy a vehicle even though I can afford it easily... I just have 3 buses on the road.
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by spinna: 10:44am On Apr 02, 2022
Buy a light powerbike.. go for riding training.. buy helmet and gloves and boots..

Ride safe and thank me later

4 Likes

Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by harmargedon: 10:44am On Apr 02, 2022
GooodHardDick:

To poor people, having a car is like luxury and complete waste of money. They are too poor in their mindset that they do not see any reasons for one to buy a car.

If you mistakenly buy a car. You have automatically become their enemy
it's totally different when you travel out though.
Re: Is Buying A Car Really Worth It?? by 2braithe: 10:44am On Apr 02, 2022
Legendrysailor:
Hell yeah !!!!

Buying a car is nice investment if only it is used for the purpose of generating income and for official duties anything aside from d two things I just mentioned is total frivolity to me especially if u are not bouyant enough.

I'm buying only for easy mobility.
Tired of public transportation.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Micra Taxis In Ibadan: Necessity Or Menace? / Inside Innoson Motor Manufacturing Plant Nnewi (Video) / #KogiInauguration: Fatal Tipper Accident At Kogi Highway (Graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.