Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,548 members, 7,827,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track (39343 Views)

Kaduna Rail Bombing: Joe Igbokwe Blames PDP / Oshiomhole Accident In Benin: The Damaged SUV Conveying Ex Governor / Pictures Of The Damaged Lagos-Badagry Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by harmargedon: 10:48am On Apr 03, 2022
Detour2022:
The way we use engineer and technologist is what I find confusing.
How can an engineer manage the construction of a bridge without technology? Who are these technologist self?
Don't mind our country.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 10:49am On Apr 03, 2022
harmargedon:
sweet lord. Bro, tell me; if you're working in an company and an emergency came up that requires your attention, and let's say they was no technician on ground, just you. And it's something one man can fix, what will you do?
Bros yes you can do that ...but that's not the job description of an engineer na ..why can't you get this simple explanation
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Legendforte: 10:49am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:
Technicians not engineers for heavens sake

Repair , maintaining and installation are not jobs of engineers but technicians
Maintenance engineers

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by harmargedon: 10:50am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Bros you don't have to go through those process to be and engineer ...just have B.Engr and five years minimum experience and an engineer to back that up , design a project and walah you are an engineer ..in the USA they call the P.E practicing engineer

What I'm saying is the job description of an engineer ...doesn't mean he can't do other things it he chose to

There is a Reason why engineering is only studied in the university and not polytechnics

You have mechanical engineering in the university
While you have mechanical engineering technology in polytechnics ....there are reasons for that those names are not formalities
the fact that engineers don't maintain or repair doesn't mean that they are not good at it, it's just division of labour. Sometimes your theory don't apply in the real world, so it takes someone who knows the job to correct this.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by harmargedon: 10:55am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Bros yes you can do that ...but that's not the job description of an engineer na ..why can't you get this simple explanation
I understand you clearly, but it's you who is not seeing it from my view. This Idea of engineers don't maintain and repair has turned our engineering school to shit. That's the reason an electrical engineer doesn't even know how to layout a simple domestic wiring diagram or design. We feel it's all about integration and differentiation. Engineering is bigger than that now, go to the field and see how things are working, machines are being designed and assembled. How many of our engineers can carry out proper designs? They don't even know which components to use.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by LLiKYekoba: 10:58am On Apr 03, 2022
Emma15678:

Oga please give us one Anti-IPOB rhythm naa, why you dey deny us our right?

Lmaooooo! LWTMB grin grin
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Legendforte: 10:59am On Apr 03, 2022
mastermaestro:

Show me one minister who has performed better than Amaechi. Hatred kills! sad
Dont mind him.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by CoolAmbience(m): 11:06am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

And engineering graduate can't attache B.Engr before his name ...he is just a graduate of engineering ...he official attach it after his name like PhD

You have to be a COREN certified engineer which your unique seal so that once they see your design any where in they world it would be attributed to you ...your design not practical work

You must have a B.Engr and minimum of five years working experience under a certified engineer to be approved by COREN

This isn't even the direction of the discourse.

The issue is, does being an engineer connote that one cannot perform repairs or maintenance tasks?

As in, you become too big to perform maintenance tasks because you are an engineer...

I know all those details you shared regarding COREN.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Yvngex(m): 11:11am On Apr 03, 2022
Good morning my fam in nairaland
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 11:22am On Apr 03, 2022
CoolAmbience:

This isn't even the direction of the discourse.

The issue is, does being an engineer connote that one cannot perform repairs or maintenance tasks?

As in, you become too big to perform maintenance tasks because you are an engineer...

I know all those details you shared regarding COREN.

My argument ismaintenance is not the job description of an engineer simple
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Clinghton: 11:24am On Apr 03, 2022
If those responsible for the damage locate them, OK repair at your risk.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by maasoap(m): 11:25am On Apr 03, 2022
Kudos
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Ubdavis(m): 11:33am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Why u dey take am so personal. U dey for there??
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 03, 2022
silento:

U claim to be educated and smart just look at rubbish u just vomitted also
He is correct u are the that need be checked for following the footsteps of lai Mohammad

The code word is "trust but verify". Every piece of information must undergo scrutiny before being accepted as a fact.
Even some long held scientific information were later discovered to be untrue.

Verification of information is an attribute of the truly educated, not people like you who swallow hook, line and sinker, whatever is being thrown at them.

The discussions here were very intellectual just before you came to display your lack of education.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by silento(m): 11:40am On Apr 03, 2022
Kellzzyy:

The code word is "trust but verify". Every piece of information must undergo scrutiny before being accepted as a fact.
Even some long held scientific information were later discovered to be untrue.

Verification of information is an attribute of the truly educated, not people like you who swallow hook, line and sinker, whatever is being thrown at them.

The discussions here were very intellectual just before you came to display your lack of education.

tongue
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Detour2022: 12:18pm On Apr 03, 2022
Who said engineering is not studied in polytechnics?
mrvitalis:

So to be an engineer I have to go to polytechnics ?
Why don't they study engineering in polytechnics ?
Smh
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Detour2022: 12:25pm On Apr 03, 2022
The thing is that no University in Nigeria does anything in track technology or track maintenance. Those who are carrying out those repairs were trained by Nigerian railway.
wwwihy:

https://twitter.com/OvieNews/status/1510302895325036551

God Bless Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2022
Detour2022:
Who said engineering is not studied in polytechnics?
What you have is engineering technology not engineering
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Detour2022: 1:02pm On Apr 03, 2022
My dear, an engr without technology is incapacitated as theory without practical is lame. Engineering technology is also what you get from University of science and technology. Research the aim of setting up universities of science and technology in Nigeria around 1980 and you will find out that technology is the core reason.
mrvitalis:

What you have is engineering technology not engineering

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 1:19pm On Apr 03, 2022
Detour2022:
My dear, an engr without technology is incapacitated as theory without practical is lame. Engineering technology is also what you get from University of science and technology. Research the aim of setting up universities of science and technology in Nigeria around 1980 and you will find out that technology is the core reason.
Are you talking your opinion or fact ? Smh
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Housing(m): 1:45pm On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Sure they can but it's not the job description of an engineer doesn't mean engineers can't replace technicians if need be

A doctor can do the work of a nurse or pharmacist , or even lab scientists but that doesn't change the job description of a doctor

Notice the dress code for engineers n technicians ?

Engineers are theory, analysis and research based
Which is the difficult part

Technicians are mostly practical inclined which requires less brain power u are shown what to do n you do it

Engineers also do maintenance job. For that fact that Wikipedia excluded that in it's definition does not mean. It totally correct �.

https://www.onlineengineeringprograms.com/faq/what-do-engineers-do

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Housing(m): 1:49pm On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

My argument ismaintenance is not the job description of an engineer simple

Engineers also do maintenance job. It depends on the scope and magnitude of the effects and process involved.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by LastProphet: 1:49pm On Apr 03, 2022
dasparrow:
I am glad it is getting fixed but what is being put place to ensure that jihadists don't damage it again?

It will be damaged again and again and again. Unless almajiri breeding stops you can't have modernisation, it's as simple as that
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Tdotbluejays1: 1:57pm On Apr 03, 2022
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by victor54: 2:13pm On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

False
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Tdotbluejays1: 2:16pm On Apr 03, 2022
Legendforte:

Maintenance engineers
There are field engineers, test engineers, maintenance engineers, commissioning engineers, project enginees e.t.c

It's not easy to just look at the picture and conclude that those are technicians.

Technician, technologists and engineers work as a team and they would all be involved in fixing the rail line.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Lekan239(m): 2:40pm On Apr 03, 2022
acorntree:

All comments here are absolutely right depending on the perspective individual look at it. In theory and according to guidelines established by each country engineering regulating body , engineers major role are majorly design, analysis, simulation etc. All these are only attained through knowledge gained from formal education upto Bsc or Msc in engineering or any other equivalent qualifications and professional registration. Technician roles are majorly repair, maintenance etc. A non registered Bsc or Msc holder can work as technician or technilogist in any engineering firm . It doesn't mean they are engineers by qualification. In actual sense using the definition of designer, innovators we can say we dont actually have real engineers in nigeria. Engineering practices is being abused in Nigeria where anyone fixing laptop, tv, gsm phones called themselves engineers. This is wrong, so the title should be Nigerian Technicians Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track. Those repairing those rails are purely technician, one engineer may be with them as supervisor, to ensure quality work is done and according to previous design specifications
your write-up is correct, every engineers and technologists knows that. The op was making reference to the headline " Nigerian engineers repair the damaged section of Abuja-Kaduna rail track". The headlines is correct because the contract was giving to a Nigerian Engineering firm, and thus the firm is repairing the rail track.

Like I said mechanical engineers, design, test, analyse, maintain and build.

They build aircraft engines, robot, control system, gas/wind turbines, censors, compressors, e.t.c.

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Donshegxy10(m): 2:42pm On Apr 03, 2022
Jennyclay:
Buhari supporter like you.

May what happened to late Dr. Chinelo befall you and your family in the mighty name of our lord Jesus Christ. AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now read my moniker, don't you ever in your life quote my moniker again!!!!!!

Nonsense!!!!!!!

death shall be your portion.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Lekan239(m): 2:44pm On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Lmao. You would never learn ...I was taught by professors from same MIT so relax
If you are trained by professors from MIT and you posseses this mentality.

Nonetheless, I see why the white are flourishing in building new technology why blacks who are taught by the same professor who taught the the same whites have nothing to show
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by godliman: 2:45pm On Apr 03, 2022
is it all about fixing the rail line or fixing the security situation? I hope they won't send people to go and die again. I expect a huge military operation there before train service resumes. This government is either dumb and clueless or culpable by the way they are handling this matter. May be this is the next level they promised
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Jennyclay(f): 2:46pm On Apr 03, 2022
Donshegxy10:

death shall be your portion.
I'm not an Evil woman, so death can't be my portion.

But YOU!!!... You're a serial evil Non-entity and death shall be your portion before the end of this year. Amen!!!!!!!!

Nonsense!!!
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Xmen149(m): 2:51pm On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

That's the job of technologist sir

You are misinterpreting the whole thing.

Every great Engineer I know and has come across has lab(Engineering workshop).

They design and implement,then confirm the system is working to required efficiency by constantly testing and making adjustments in paper design and real one(model). Carry out maintenance and written documents on how to install and train the technicians on how to safely install because they have done it over and over.

You can't design disaster and tell another man to go and bring it to live because it's his job.

Or employ technicians to come and be working in your lab to bring ideas to live(prototype) because it's written somewhere that it's and engineers Jobs.

In yakee all Engineers and technicians get educated in class and lab and encouraged to carry on after graduation..In many situations technicians are even the ones that spot flaws in Engineering designs (materials,structure and calculations)..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

'The Plane that Brought Down The Synagogue Building Targeted TB Joshua' - FFK / Buhari & Osinbajo Pictured At FEC Meeting At The State House Council Chambers / Aisha Yesufu: "President Buhari Must Resign! Osinbajo Cannot Do Anything"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.