Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track (39326 Views)

Kaduna Rail Bombing: Joe Igbokwe Blames PDP / Oshiomhole Accident In Benin: The Damaged SUV Conveying Ex Governor / Pictures Of The Damaged Lagos-Badagry Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Detour2022: 8:40am On Apr 03, 2022
It depends on the type of employment you have as an engr. As a consultant design engr, your work is limited to design and supervision to the extent of your design. As an in house technical staff, your job is basically maintenance and giving technical advise. Where you are engaged as a production engr, you function along that line. Secondly, an engr can also be a technologist depending on the type of University you attended. For those who attended universities of science and technology, they are awarded bachelor of engineering technology while those who went to conventional universities graduate with bsc engineering.
RolexOfGeneva:

That guy was right. Check the dictionary for the meaning of the word "Engineer". You'll find out that an engineer only builds. Technicians don't build, they only maintain.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Lekan239(m): 8:45am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

The provide designs for real life problems by analysis , observations , using the laws of sciences n economic viability as a guide
can you clarify on what you mean by real life problems pls?

You said engineers do not build, but they only designed and analyse right. Now turbine engine, rocket, nuclear weapons And so many other complex engineering invention, it is agreed that engineers build the design for those aforementioned invention, now are you trying too say they just design them and left it in the hands on technologist and technician to build them?

For you information,

Mechanical engineers design, develop, build, and test mechanical devices, including tools, engines, and machines.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Freelance363: 8:45am On Apr 03, 2022
so,Nigerian engineers are only good for repair works? Keep insulting engineers.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by dkenny4lyf(m): 8:53am On Apr 03, 2022
Cooleasy:

Just to understand you better, could it be said that the difference between engineers and technicians, is like the difference between doctors and nurses?

Exactly

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Detour2022: 8:53am On Apr 03, 2022
An engr can also be a technologist it depends on the type of University and training you have. Please understand who you are. No wonder we are having problems with technologycal advancement in this country.
mrvitalis:

There is no work so we do what's available

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by aijazNija: 8:55am On Apr 03, 2022
it looks like you finished from FUTO. Thats how their graduates think. Especially, the ones that don't have practical experience.

Given the nature of this kind of job, an engineer designs the work. Do quality checks, ensure the materials and repair specs are in order. With the help of a technician, he/she delivers the job with precision.

Notably, an engineer can be a technician and vice verse QED.

Meanwhile, kudos to the engineers. Hope they used the required spec. No wan here say train derail oh.

mrvitalis:
Technicians not engineers for heavens sake

Repair , maintaining and installation are not jobs of engineers but technicians
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 9:02am On Apr 03, 2022
aijazNija:

it looks like you finished from FUTO. Thats how their graduates think.

An engineer can be a technician QED.

You talk like u never finished school at all
An engineer can be a farmer too ,a pastor , even a fisherman does that makes those job description of an engineer ?

U all sound very illogical ... engineering job description is known ,
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 9:04am On Apr 03, 2022
Lekan239:
can you clarify on what you mean by real life problems pls?

You said engineers do not build, but they only designed and analyse right. Now turbine engine, rocket, nuclear weapons And so many other complex engineering invention, it is agreed that engineers build the design for those aforementioned invention, now are you trying too say they just design them and left it in the hands on technologist and technician to build them?

For you information,

Mechanical engineers design, develop, build, and test mechanical devices, including tools, engines, and machines.
Let me give you example ...if a car brake fails that's a technicians problem to fix ...but if a model develops similar problems consistently that's an engineering problem he goes back to the design ... identify the problem n provide workable economically viable solution
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Lekan239(m): 9:11am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Let me give you example ...if a car brake fails that's a technicians problem to fix ...but if a model develops similar problems consistently that's an engineering problem he goes back to the design ... identify the problem n provide workable economically viable solution
I see, so fixing the damaged rail track is not an engineering problem and the headline should be "Nigerian technician repair the damaged section of the Abuja-kaduna rail track".

Go and tell all this jargons you are saying to engineering graduate of MIT or the university of California. It's a well known fact that Nigeria university do produced half baked engineering student and you are just a living testimonials of that fact

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 9:11am On Apr 03, 2022
I like the proactive way and intervention...
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by OChimex: 9:42am On Apr 03, 2022
LeoDeKing:
Cool. cool

I like the speed at which the damage is being addressed.

Rip to the dead.

Repair why the cause of the problem hasnt be resolved?

What needed thad speed was arresting and bringing the terrorists that did the damage to book so that they wont bomb it again when repaired.

Common sense is millions of miles away from Africa.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by acorntree(m): 9:47am On Apr 03, 2022
Lekan239:
I see, so fixing the damaged rail track is not an engineering problem and the headline should be "Nigerian technician repair the damaged section of the Abuja-kaduna rail track".

Go and tell all this jargons you are saying to engineering graduate of MIT or the university of California. It's a well known fact that Nigeria university do produced half baked engineering student and you are just a living testimonials of that fact

All comments here are absolutely right depending on the perspective individual look at it. In theory and according to guidelines established by each country engineering regulating body , engineers major role are majorly design, analysis, simulation etc. All these are only attained through knowledge gained from formal education upto Bsc or Msc in engineering or any other equivalent qualifications and professional registration. Technician roles are majorly repair, maintenance etc. A non registered Bsc or Msc holder can work as technician or technilogist in any engineering firm . It doesn't mean they are engineers by qualification. In actual sense using the definition of designer, innovators we can say we dont actually have real engineers in nigeria. Engineering practices is being abused in Nigeria where anyone fixing laptop, tv, gsm phones called themselves engineers. This is wrong, so the title should be Nigerian Technicians Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track. Those repairing those rails are purely technician, one engineer may be with them as supervisor, to ensure quality work is done and according to previous design specifications
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 10:00am On Apr 03, 2022
Lekan239:

Lmao. You would never learn ...I was taught by professors from same MIT so relax
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by harmargedon: 10:05am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Even a monkey can do practical work , just have to give it enough time ...but theory is real engineering only an engineer can do that

You lots think theory is easy ... lmao design a bolt let exam cross examine you let's see
grin grin grin grin he who knows practical knows the theory, but he who knows the theory only, knows nothing. Religion, science, engineering, and philosophy agree on this 'Action speaks louder than words'.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Christistruth00: 10:06am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

If part of the Jebba Bridge Collapses into River Niger God Forbid

It is not Technicians that would repair it
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by harmargedon: 10:10am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

I am also an engineer I have done farm work doesn't mean that's part of the job description of an engineer ...facts are facts
c'mon bro, I'm talking engineering here, and not far work. Before you can call yourself an engineer, you must have undergone all the stages: craftsman, technician, technologist, then an engineer. As an engineer, you shouldn't be a novice in this aspects. It's a sad thing that in my country, people who haven't seen a resistor, or a contactor or a variable frequency drive before will still beat their chests and call themselves engineers. The question I ask them is " how many projects have you carried out?'
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by aijazNija: 10:11am On Apr 03, 2022
Please tell the world what you think the job of an engineer is,

Let me read you, this is exactly why Nigeria is backwards. When I say an engineer can be a technician. I mean he can be employed as one, some job descriptions require highly skilled engineers (check in out ourself, they often earn highier than 'an engineer' without technical experience). Often times, people confuse technicians with roadside workmen. They not but well trained and highly skilled engineers.

Meanwhile, I am not here to argue with you. I write this for younger people who may be reading. To them, I say. If you want to be competitive, please be a highly skilled engineer. You can take up a job as a technician anywhere in the world. (this why some smart engineering students learn programing and other skills )

In a well organised company with standards, they repairs must firstly go through rigorous quality checks since they are not the original contractor that installed the rails. This includes serries of simulations/experiments to ascertain the strength of the used materials in order to find the right replacement. And ensure the type of weilding that can stand the wear and tear associated with the load it will carry.

My bros, thats not the work of a roadside workman which you may be referring as a technician.

mrvitalis:

You talk like u never finished school at all
An engineer can be a farmer too ,a pastor , even a fisherman does that makes those job description of an engineer ?

U all sound very illogical ... engineering job description is known ,
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by CoolAmbience(m): 10:14am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Oga, I am an engineer. There is nothing around repair or maintenance that an engineer shouldn't do.

Or is there a law now prohibiting engineers from carrying out maintenance?

Mind you, engineers are technicians and technologists too...it is just a slightly higher technical title.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by harmargedon: 10:14am On Apr 03, 2022
CoolAmbience:

Oga, I am an engineer. There is nothing around repair or maintenance that an engineer shouldn't do.

I tire for Nigerian engineers.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 10:20am On Apr 03, 2022
CoolAmbience:

Mind you, engineers are technicians and technologists too...it is just a slightly higher technical title.

Bros are you a graduate of engineering or an engineer ...mind you they are two different things
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Detour2022: 10:21am On Apr 03, 2022
The way we use engineer and technologist is what I find confusing.
How can an engineer manage the construction of a bridge without technology? Who are these technologist self?
harmargedon:
c'mon bro, I'm talking engineering here, and not far work. Before you can call yourself an engineer, you must have undergone all the stages: craftsman, technician, technologist, then an engineer. As an engineer, you shouldn't be a novice in this aspects. It's a sad thing that in my country, people who haven't seen a resistor, or a contactor or a variable frequency drive before will still beat their chests and call themselves engineers. The question I ask them is " how many projects have you carried out?'
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by silento(m): 10:22am On Apr 03, 2022
Kellzzyy:

You go just open mouth vomit rubbish.
People are having intellectual discussion here but you think we should all believe one person without questioning.
Is that how they taught you? Not to question things?
That is how you foolishly voted Buhari without questioning his antecedents.

Illiterate.

U claim to be educated and smart just look at rubbish u just vomitted also
He is correct u are the that need be checked for following the footsteps of lai Mohammad
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 10:22am On Apr 03, 2022
aijazNija:

Please tell the world what you think the job of an engineer is,

Let me read you, this is exactly why Nigeria is backwards. When I say an engineer can be a technician. I mean he can be employed as one, some job descriptions require highly skilled engineers (check in out ourself, they often earn highier than 'an engineer' without technical experience). Often times, people confuse technicians with roadside workmen. They not but well trained and highly skilled engineers.

Meanwhile, I am not here to argue with you. I write this for younger people who may be reading. To them, I say. If you want to be competitive, please be a highly skilled engineer. You can take up a job as a technician anywhere in the world. (this why some smart engineering students learn programing and other skills )

In a well organised company with standards, they repairs must firstly go through rigorous quality checks since they are not the original contractor that installed the rails. This includes serries of simulations/experiments to ascertain the strength of the used materials in order to find the right replacement. And ensure the type of weilding that can stand the wear and tear associated with the load it will carry.

My bros, thats not the work of a roadside workman which you may be referring as a technician.

The argument here is what's the job description of an engineer and I have made that very clear

An engineer can choose to to the work of a farmer , technicians , Craftmen even , even the job of a driver

My brother is a medical doctor but repairs cars too as a side hustle that doesn't mean repairing cars are the job of doctors

Being a graduate of engineering doesn't make you an engineer oga
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by CoolAmbience(m): 10:25am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Google is your friend oga

What is this one saying? You mean google will reveal that engineers are not expected to carryout maintenance or installation tasks?

To be an engineer, you have to become a technician and a technologist.

These are stages to becoming an engineer.

So, every engineer is a technician and a technologist.

We too dey carry body sef. I am an engineer and I do not see anything wrong with carrying out repairs and maintenance tasks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by Benbellamor: 10:25am On Apr 03, 2022
LeoDeKing:
Cool. cool

I like the speed at which the damage is being addressed.

Rip to the dead.
you think they care? All they need is money
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 10:27am On Apr 03, 2022
harmargedon:
Bros you don't have to go through those process to be and engineer ...just have B.Engr and five years minimum experience and an engineer to back that up , design a project and walah you are an engineer ..in the USA they call the P.E practicing engineer

What I'm saying is the job description of an engineer ...doesn't mean he can't do other things it he chose to

There is a Reason why engineering is only studied in the university and not polytechnics

You have mechanical engineering in the university
While you have mechanical engineering technology in polytechnics ....there are reasons for that those names are not formalities
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 10:28am On Apr 03, 2022
CoolAmbience:

What is this one saying? You mean google will reveal that engineers are not expected to carryout maintenance or installation tasks?

To be an engineer, you have to become a technician and a technologist.

These are stages to becoming an engineer.

So, every engineer is a technician and a technologist.

We too dey carry body sef. I am an engineer and I do not see anything wrong with carrying out repairs and maintenance tasks.

So to be an engineer I have to go to polytechnics ?
Why don't they study engineering in polytechnics ?
Smh
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by CoolAmbience(m): 10:34am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Bros are you a graduate of engineering or an engineer ...mind you they are two different things

What would you call an engineering graduate? A tailor?

Registration with engineering regulatory bodies or associations is a different thing altogether.

However, every engineering graduate is an engineer. That is why you see those with COREN, NSE indicating and attaching these titles to their names.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by CoolAmbience(m): 10:40am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

So to be an engineer I have to go to polytechnics ?
Why don't they study engineering in polytechnics ?
Smh

Where did I mention polytechnic or all these that you talked about?

Bros, e be like say you need rest o. Try rest.
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 10:42am On Apr 03, 2022
CoolAmbience:

Where did I mention polytechnic or all these that you talked about?

Bros, e be like say you need rest o. Try rest.

There is a reason why you have polytechnics and universities
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by mrvitalis(m): 10:45am On Apr 03, 2022
CoolAmbience:

What would you call an engineering graduate? A tailor?

Registration with engineering regulatory bodies or associations is a different thing altogether.

However, every engineering graduate is an engineer. That is why you see those with COREN, NSE indicating and attaching these titles to their names.

And engineering graduate can't attache B.Engr before his name ...he is just a graduate of engineering ...he official attach it after his name like PhD

You have to be a COREN certified engineer which your unique seal so that once they see your design any where in they world it would be attributed to you ...your design not practical work

You must have a B.Engr and minimum of five years working experience under a certified engineer to be approved by COREN
Re: Nigerian Engineers Repair The Damaged Section Of The Abuja-Kaduna Rail Track by harmargedon: 10:46am On Apr 03, 2022
mrvitalis:

Bros you don't have to go through those process to be and engineer ...just have B.Engr and five years minimum experience and an engineer to back that up , design a project and walah you are an engineer ..in the USA they call the P.E practicing engineer

What I'm saying is the job description of an engineer ...doesn't mean he can't do other things it he chose to

There is a Reason why engineering is only studied in the university and not polytechnics

You have mechanical engineering in the university
While you have mechanical engineering technology in polytechnics ....there are reasons for that those names are not formalities
sweet lord. Bro, tell me; if you're working in an company and an emergency came up that requires your attention, and let's say they was no technician on ground, just you. And it's something one man can fix, what will you do?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Dr. Kayode Fayemi And Emir Of Kano Sanusi Pictured Together At Airport / Aisha Alhassan 'Mama Taraba' Resigns As Minister (Resignation Letter) / Akpabio: I Brought Emmanuel Udom From Lagos And Installed Him As Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.