Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! (7512 Views)

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Look-Alike (Picture) / A Picture Of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At The World Bank Headquarters / An Open Letter To Dr. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by damipaul(m): 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2011
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has asked the Senate to approve World Bank managing director Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as a member of his new cabinet, the president of the upper house of parliament said on Tuesday.

Okonjo-Iweala, a former finance minister who helped negotiate debt relief in 2005, is expected to return in her old position but with additional broad powers over economic management, government sources have said.

"I hereby submit the name of Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, with her CV, for confirmation as minister by the distinguished members of the Senate," Jonathan said in a letter read out by Senate President David Mark.

Jonathan was sworn in for his first full term on May 29 and his ministerial choices are being closely watched by foreign investors keen for a team capable of driving badly needed reforms in Africa's most populous nation

http://af.reuters.com/article/nigeriaNews/idAFLDE7641E820110705

Sure she'll live above boards!
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Kobojunkie: 7:12pm On Jul 05, 2011
What I am more interesting in is how much of a pay cut, if any, will she, or any of the other appointees, be getting.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Odunnu: 7:23pm On Jul 05, 2011
Hopefully she'l be in a better position to covertly show that crazy Sanusi the way out.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by damipaul(m): 7:25pm On Jul 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What I am more interesting in is how much of a pay cut, if any, will she, or any of the other appointees, be getting.

i'd rather look at service delivery first.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by obowunmi(m): 7:28pm On Jul 05, 2011
angry angry angry angry angry

Is she the only woman that can do the job ?! There's a serious problem with Nigeria's leadership pipeline. All these recycled old heads. Dame shame!
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by ZnO: 7:32pm On Jul 05, 2011
obowunmi:

angry angry angry angry angry

Is she the only woman that can do the job ?! There's a serious problem with Nigeria's leadership pipeline. All these recycled old heads. Dame shame!

Your task is to find a better woman who can do the job. So start by naming the women better than her for the job. Thank you.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On Jul 05, 2011
dami_paul:

i'd rather look at service delivery first.

Well, thank goodness I am not you so I am OK to check what I want in this.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by obowunmi(m): 7:42pm On Jul 05, 2011
ZnO:

Your task is to find a better woman who can do the job. So start by naming the women better than her for the job. Thank you.

Don't misconstrue my statement. I mean is she the only person that can do the job ? Aren't there other people on the list with more accomplishments --- doesn't have to be a woman.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Kobojunkie: 7:47pm On Jul 05, 2011
^^^ Sadly in Nigeria, we only focus on the POPULAR-JINGOS . . . we rarely ever visit the rare gems who don't have the POPULARITY TITLES/ IMAGE (especially in the area of politics) to go with their names.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by ZnO: 7:50pm On Jul 05, 2011
obowunmi:

Don't misconstrue my statement. I mean is she the only person that can do the job ? Aren't there other people on the list with more accomplishments --- doesn't have to be a woman.

Okay name any one else, male of female. We have tried Aganga and he did not deliver. Ngozi delivered a few things in her first outing.
You can say Utomi, may be, who knows, he can be better than Ngozi. But he was also at VON. How did he deliver there?

Mind you, its not just about finance and economy, it is also about the international clout she can bring that Nigeria needs at this point in time. I do not see any other Nigerian as internationally positioned as her as of TODAY.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by obowunmi(m): 7:57pm On Jul 05, 2011
you haven't answered my question. I'm stating that there's a huge problem with the leadership pipeline. If Iwenala was to die today, are you saying that Nigeria cannot progress because there is no one that has international clout ? shocked shocked
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by obowunmi(m): 7:58pm On Jul 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Sadly in Nigeria, we only focus on the POPULAR-JINGOS . . . we rarely ever visit the rare gems who don't have the POPULARITY TITLES/ IMAGE (especially in the area of politics) to go with their names.

Rarely do I agree with you, but I concur! Lots of geniuses parading around. Nigeria's leadership pipeline is in serious trouble.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by damipaul(m): 7:59pm On Jul 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Sadly in Nigeria, we only focus on the POPULAR-JINGOS .  . . we rarely ever visit the rare gems who don't have the POPULARITY TITLES/ IMAGE (especially in the area of politics) to go with their names.

I agree with you, but not in a field like this.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by ZnO: 8:01pm On Jul 05, 2011
obowunmi:

you haven't answered my question. I'm stating that there's a huge problem with the leadership pipeline.  If Iwenala was to die today,  are you saying that Nigeria cannot progress because there is no one that has international clout ?  shocked shocked

Well she is not dying now, hopefully. So let's optimize/maximize her being alive and willing to serve to get to where she can take us to.
Hopefully, they will put Adesida in the Agric. ministry so he can bring his international agricultural clout from AGRA and Rockefeller foundation.
The local champions have been tried and tested and they have failed woefully.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by hercules07: 8:04pm On Jul 05, 2011
Okonjo Iweala can not show Sanusi anything, she will do her own, Sanusi will continue doing his own, let GEJ rein in his spendings and Nigeria will be a better place.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Kobojunkie: 8:06pm On Jul 05, 2011
dami_paul:

I agree with you, but not in a field like this.

Actually it does apply, even in this case. Unless you are about to tell us that in a Nation of over 150 million, and with the highest claimed number of PHDs in the world, recycling an ex-minister is the ONLY way to go.  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by ZnO: 8:09pm On Jul 05, 2011
Ministers are recycled all over the world when they are needed. Even Obama has recycled people used by Clinton and Bush despite the population of the US. Ministers are recycled in the UK, Germany etc. Some naija fake pundits are either ignorant or plain s-tu-pid
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by damipaul(m): 8:28pm On Jul 05, 2011
ZnO:

Ministers are recycled all over the world when they are needed. Even Obama has recycled people used by Clinton and Bush despite the population of the US. Ministers are recycled in the UK, Germany etc. Some naija fake pundits are either ignorant or plain s-tu-pid

right on point
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by OAM4J: 8:30pm On Jul 05, 2011
Finally we have one good reason to be hopeful of this administration, at least one person with a clue on how government should be run. I just hope they wont frustrate her.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Kobojunkie: 8:32pm On Jul 05, 2011
dami_paul:

right on point

I know people on here like to argue like chickens often, and so I feel it is right to point out to you that what the dude has there is not right on point in this case. Regardless of whether recycling happens elsewhere or even in Nigeria, it does not negate the fact that much of the selection process in Nigeria happens because persons have their names already out there in the POPULAR CIRCLE, and not necessarily because their records happen to be most outstanding.

You claimed SHE WAS THE ONLY ONE for this position, and this claim of yours was in response to a statement expressing how only those in the POPULAR circuit usually get the jobs. Now mange on this for a bit and tell me how someone interjecting that other countries recycle ministers as well, can be right on point, considering the original context of the discussion you jumped into?
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by OAM4J: 8:34pm On Jul 05, 2011
Odunnu:

Hopefully she'l be in a better position to covertly show that crazy Sanusi the way out.

Nobody in this administration can show Sanusi the way out, not even Jonathan himself.

Not that am a Sanusi supporter even though i also dont have much against him, but simply because nobody and i mean NOBODY in this administration has the balls to show the Kano Prince the way out. The guy will complete his time. In fact I will not be surprised if he is the Northern candidate to beat come 2015.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Sunofgod(m): 8:55pm On Jul 05, 2011
OAM4J:

Nobody in this administration can show Sanusi the way out, not even Jonathan himself.

Not that am a Sanusi supporter even though i also dont have much against him, but simply because nobody and i mean NOBODY in this administration has the balls to show the Kano Prince the way out. The guy will complete his time. In fact I will not be surprised if he is the Northern candidate to beat come 2015.

At least somebody seems to understand the game.

GEJ can sack the finance minister without hesistation but cannot touch the CBN governor.

And yet ignorant Nigerians think the CBN is just a 'wing' of the govt - One day it will dawn on them the true nature of the CBN.

If Okonjo Iweala doesn't toe the line, it will be Sanusi who puts an end to her tenure.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by damipaul(m): 8:59pm On Jul 05, 2011
I don't talk more than necessary. You don't appear to be a lazy reader to me, pick up your books and do ur research, don't argue and insult like most dumb nairalanders. We tell whoever cares to listen that we are practicing democracy, which obviously is not a new system, lots of countries practice it and the acclaimed super power's the US, if they with their professionals, better exposed persons, recycle senators for decades, reappoint professionals in certain fields, i don't see any reason why we shouldn't do the same.
And when i said i partly agree with you earlier on appointment of fresh brains, i didn't just say it, every leader has his own style, what works for A might not work for B. And most importantly, you don't perform experiments with a nation's finance and national security!
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by ZnO: 9:01pm On Jul 05, 2011
Sun of god:

At least somebody seems to understand the game.

GEJ can sack the finance minister without hesistation but cannot touch the CBN governor.

And yet ignorant Nigerians think the CBN is just a 'wing' of the govt - One day it will dawn on them the true nature of the CBN.

If Okonjo Iweala doesn't toe the line, it will be Sanusi who puts an end to her tenure.

So what is powerful and untouchable here: Sanusi or the CBN? How long is his constitutionally allowed tenure? Will GEJ reappoint him when the first term is done. We all will see who holds the ace in the end. I dey laugh oh!!!
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On Jul 05, 2011
^^^ As I said earlier, even in this case . . .

Kobojunkie:

^^^ Sadly in Nigeria, we only focus on the POPULAR-JINGOS .  . . we rarely ever visit the rare gems who don't have the POPULARITY TITLES/ IMAGE (especially in the area of politics) to go with their names.

. . . . and this is the case, recycling or no recycling . . . So stating that recycling occurs elsewhere, is redundant reasoning in this case and hence no point to this.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by OAM4J: 9:04pm On Jul 05, 2011
ZnO:

So what is powerful and untouchable here: Sanusi or the CBN? How long is his constitutionally allowed tenure? Will GEJ reappoint him when the first term is done. We all will see who hold the ace in the end. I dey laugh oh!!!

Both sir.

You cannot remove the CBN Governor the same way you remove a minister.

And Sanusi no be small meat o. You prolly need to find out how the North regards him.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by ZnO: 9:09pm On Jul 05, 2011
OAM4J:

Both sir.

You cannot remove the CBN Governor the same way you remove a minister.

And Sanusi no be small meat o. You prolly need to find out how the North regards him.

His tenure ends when and will GEJ reappoint him?
The North may regard him all they like, they will not force GEJ to reappoint him just like no one forced Yaradua to reappoint Soludo
Mind you, the North is not interested in Sanusi as a person, they are interested more in the position of CBN. Move Sanusi to the dustbin of history and put another northerner there that is of GEJ's choosing and who will do his bidding. Shikena.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 05, 2011
ZnO:

So what is powerful and untouchable here: Sanusi or the CBN? How long is his constitutionally allowed tenure? Will GEJ reappoint him when the first term is done. We all will see who holds the ace in the end. I dey laugh oh!!!
Sanusi of course. Do you know of any CBN governor that was sacked?
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by OAM4J: 9:13pm On Jul 05, 2011
ZnO:

His tenure ends when and will GEJ reappoint him?
The North may regard him all they like, they will not force GEJ to reappoint him just like no one forced Yaradua to reappoint Soludo
Mind you, the North is not interested in Sanusi as a person, they are interested more in the position of CBN. Move Sanusi to the dustbin of history and put another northerner there that is of GEJ's choosing and who will do his bidding. Shikena.

I actually doubt he will be interested in being reappointed. I only know he will finish this term.

The North see him as one of the Presidential hopeful for 2015. Dont forget GEJ already gave them his word for a single term.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by ZnO: 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2011
OAM4J:

I actually doubt he will be interested in being reappointed. I only know he will finish this term.

The North see him as one of the Presidential hopeful for 2015. Dont forget GEJ already gave them his word for a single term.

2015 Will not be  a cake walk for anyone, let alone for Sanusi, with his sharia banking blah!! blah!! blah!!. Take that to the Bank.
GEJ gave Nigeria his word, not the North. He also discussed with the SE which is also in contention.

I put it to anyone that in 2015, GEJ is not handing over to anyone and heaven will not fall. GEJ is doing a second term.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by ZnO: 9:16pm On Jul 05, 2011
J12:

Sanusi of course. Do you know of any CBN governor that was sacked?

Sacked may be no, not reappointed, as easy as akara. Go ask Soludo.
Re: Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala At Last! by OAM4J: 9:20pm On Jul 05, 2011
ZnO:

2015 Will not be  a cake walk for anyone, let alone for Sanusi, with his sharia banking blah!! blah!! blah!!. Take that to the Bank.
GEJ gave Nigeria his word, not the North. The SE is also in contention.

I know nothing is sure/certain in politics. 2015 is still a long time.

But i will be surprised to see GEJ reelected in 2015 instead of a Northerner. I have little hope in the ability of Nigeria electorate voting right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

SDP 2019: G19 Response To Chief Olu Falae Press Statement / Shetima Lost Polling Unit To PDP / Nigeria, Others Ask IMF, World Bank For Debt Relief

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.