Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again (19314 Views)

Electricity Grid Collapses Again / Blackout Looms As National Grid Collapses Again / Electricity: National Grid Restored; Minister Of Power Abubakar Aliyu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 09, 2022
kayperry:

All i can see is articulated excuses which does not negate trillions of naira as being spent yet no slight improvement, even the six challenges enlisted in rainbow depicts inefficiencies, zero transparency and lack of coordination.
I don't even wanna drag this any further, the solution is for every state to generate its own power, by now we should be more dependant on hydroplants buh about 77% consumer are on GFPP, about 40% nigerians don't have access to electricity and even the 60% sef are still dependent on national grid in this jet age.
We can't afford one standard refinery we can't build enough hydroplants then one begin to wonder if the cost is infinite or our leaders just lack transparency. is there no actual cost

Well, we can have every state generating its power, but at the end, so long as tarrifs are kept below the cost of production, the power plants won't make enough profit to keep running.

That's what the paper is essentially saying.

And it is not that paper. There are articles that say the same thing all over the web.

At the end, whether you like it or not, 24 hour power is something we pay for, not something we wish government finds imaginary money for.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by RexTramadol1: 2:16pm On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

We can get there if we all pay what needs to be paid.

Nigerians don’t care what needs to be paid so far they have value for their money

There was an amount per unit in 2020 and it has doubled in 2022 heavens didn’t fall

If there’s power readily available and they still triple it, people won’t mind paying and that power is one of the catalysts of a working economy

So far they have no need to waste money on petrol or diesel and there’s no power grid collapse at the point of doing something really important, they will pay it.

Let them generate and then watch if citizens will comply to new measures or not
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Kaymansion(m): 2:50pm On Apr 09, 2022
Yes it is true but now restored back just of recent
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by miketayo(m): 3:06pm On Apr 09, 2022
HeavenVGate:
I can pump and use ac but I didn't because I needed the light 24/7 ( meaning... No light off at all) I'm using it to power fridge, three TVs, home theatre , my laptop, my automatic washing machine and about 18 bulbs. No electricity from phcn at all. 24/7 on solar.

I doubt a 400k solar system can power all that, maybe u have to turn off some appliances to use others.. i have been using a 3kva inverter since 2009, I decided to connect solar panels to the batteries and to panel my house and the price they are calling is way above that 400k. at my workplace, we used over 6m to install it. I doubt 400k can do all that

2 Likes

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by kayperry: 4:15pm On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:

Well, we can have every state generating its power, but at the end, so long as tarrifs are kept below the cost of production, the power plants won't make enough profit to keep running.

That's what the paper is essentially saying.

And it is not that paper. There are articles that say the same thing all over the web.

At the end, whether you like it or not, 24 hour power is something we pay for, not something we wish government finds imaginary money for.

Stop sounding like C O P is determine by stock market or int'l index, i know to a larger extent that "cost of productions" are regulated & responsive to NERC & govt policies which implies we are dealing with controllable factors, what we need is efficiency,transparency and coordination. Even if we sell nigeria to meet up with real cost of production, the glaring insincerity on paths of phcn/govt will still lead us to darkness.
Are you even business oriented @ all, as an entrepreneur its on you to raise capital, afterall nobody force you and the standard of service rendered is what determine charges, you can't provide an average service and tell customer to subscribe premium that you will later use the income to upscale your service. haba undecided maybe phcn should learn from likes of dstv & shoprite. if you invest enough you will earn more than enough

2 Likes

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 5:11pm On Apr 09, 2022
GloriousGbola:

please use your head.

you think batteries are infinite?

do you think a basic PV system can carry anything more than lights and tv for 4 hours?

this is how they sold inverters as replacement for conventional power. now they are doing same with solar

if you have the money to import your entire uncompromised system from abroad, fine. otherwise, you are just entering another round of story.

I never said batteries are infinite. I have used mine for 5 yrs before changing the batteries last month. I use 3kva which was done 2017 and it the batteries I changed. You should use your own head and stop this charade.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by tete7000(m): 5:12pm On Apr 09, 2022
buckeyemedia:
Government? But electricity has been privatized? Notwithstanding there is no government that has done more for electricity than This Government.

And transmission system still remains with the govt. Only the generation and the distribution arms are privatised.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by tete7000(m): 5:13pm On Apr 09, 2022
Where is the mumu that said ending power problem is not a rocket science?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 5:14pm On Apr 09, 2022
Derrylatei:

Do you sale it?
I can direct you to the person who I bought mine from.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by miketayo(m): 5:17pm On Apr 09, 2022
QuinModah:
Tayo, have a different solar system for your pump

undecided undecided kiss
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by mastermaestro(m): 5:20pm On Apr 09, 2022
subsidywise18:
The harsh truth is, until the power sector is allowed to operate profitably, it will not make enough money to fix things to a point where we can have power 24/7

It does not matter who is in power or what laws are passed, whether we decentralize the grid, or move power from concurrent list, to the 500 list.....so long as we pay for power below what it costs to produce it, we cannot have 24 hour power.

They are dancing around this basic fact. Energy does not come cheaply. I had this discussion with a neighbor of mine who was fuming at PHCN for billing him as much as they did. He refused to accept my point.

Imagine paying 3k a month and you want uninterrupted power supply. Na jazz? grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by openmine(m): 5:26pm On Apr 09, 2022
Senate Please pass the bill empowering and authorizing states to generate,transmit and distribute their own power source!
Enough of this unending madness!
what an embarrassment!

1 Like

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by InvertedHammer: 6:05pm On Apr 09, 2022
Penguin2:
Nigeria is now a joke.

“Buhari will handle security and Osinbajo will handle economy”.

The biggest lie since Jesus left the earth.

Tinubu will never benefit from Buhari disaster.
/

grin grin grin

The same people are back telling you that Tinubu is the Messiah and some idiots are even listening grin

/
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by SirMichael1: 7:36pm On Apr 09, 2022
backnbeta:
National grid collapsed abi you're truly using diesel to 'generate' power like an analyst said a few weeks ago? According to him, no light until rain comes fully because the goons in charge of electricity generation aka 'national grid' can't afford to use diesel at N750 per liter and you guys are just lying about national grid. Even if the national grid has an underlying illness causing the regular collapse, shouldn't you have fixed it? Liars

Diesel to generate power for the whole Nigeria? Hahaha. Do you know what you're implying?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Alfredah01: 7:56pm On Apr 09, 2022
buckeyemedia:
Na Jonathan finalize privatization of electricity 7th November 2013? President Buhari inherited quacks.

Even electricity no dey Ebele village to tell you how Mumurist Jonathan was?

I can’t believe people are still supporting this govt and still blaming GEJ, this the reason Nigeria is still like this. Don’t forget your grand children will still come to face this hardship you’re contributing to this country oga
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by backnbeta(f): 8:17pm On Apr 09, 2022
SirMichael1:

Diesel to generate power for the whole Nigeria? Hahaha. Do you know what you're implying?
I don't trust these guys! I read an article to that effect. Here:

National Grid My Foot
[b]We keep hearing that the national grid has collapsed! Nobody has asked how?? Ask them how, cos it is imperative to understand these people when they give excuses. How? In what way did it crash? Did the transmission infrastructure fail or did the distribution network and infrastructure collapse?

They are liars! Do you know what really happened? They can no longer sustain their lies with N700 diesel. Instead of investing in proper power generating facilities and capacity, what most of the GenCos have been doing is to get by on what is called Peak Power diesel plants and now, apparently that plan has gone belly up! It has become unsustainable!

I will explain. What has been sustaining Nigerian power supply for a few years now is mostly our hydroelectric plants and Turbine power station operations such as Egbin, Afam, Olorunsogo and Sapele power plants. Up until February, Egbin was contributing an average of 800MW to 900MW to the national grid. Egbon has an installed capacity of 1320MW. Sadly, there was a recent fire outbreak in Egbin. This happened this past February, after which Egbin lost about 630MW of its output and thus, its ability to contribute meaningfully to the national grid was greatly diminished.

Other power plants could barely pick up the slack. Do you know why? Most of the nation's powerplants are either non-functional or only partially functional. Many Gencos are quack companies - they were sold to the politically connected, most of whom were inexperienced and greedy oligarchs, who are ever claiming subsidy and capacity which they do not have, cos they have not really invested. Power generation requires massive investment, after which the benefits and dividends could be sustained for many decades. They clearly do not care about investing, all they are interested in is the subventions and rents from FGN.

What many of these GenCos have been doing is what is called Peak power contribution - these are essential massive diesel generators which are designed to contribute in times of high demand, to a more stable and constant base powerplant in a grid setup. In essence, a Genco should ideally have a base powerplant (could be Gas turbine or Coal) and then in addition to that, a peak power supplement. The peak power supplement would normally only be used when there is short-lived or sudden high demand.

What happened to our Gencos is that most of our base power plants are not functional (this is why we keep hearing claims of generating capacity which is never realized or manifested in our total output or experience as consumers). Many of our Gencos contribute so little to the national base power pool that it is laughable! For that, they get to claim a status of being "partially functional". What these criminal Gencos have really been sustaining themselves with is the supplementary peak power contribution and thus, they have been almost entirely dependent on diesel. When diesel price went up astronomically, they went belly up!

They can no longer sustain the cost of their deceitful and false existence. It explains why the industry has forever been complaining about not making profits. They have not invested in the proper infrastructure. This has made our electricity very expensive! This is in truth what caused the so-called "National grid to crash". Remember the statement that Nigeria economy is run on diesel? It has never been truer than it is now! And things are not going to get better soon - not until raining season. You all need to start praying for rain.
My five cents.
Copied[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by treesun: 8:20pm On Apr 09, 2022
poiZon:

Na only dick o..
That one dey rise steady
I am a small boy oo!
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by buckeyemedia: 9:20pm On Apr 09, 2022
Penguin2:
Nigeria is now a joke.

“Buhari will handle security and Osinbajo will handle economy”.

The biggest lie since Jesus left the earth.

Tinubu will never benefit from Buhari disaster.
Jonathan handled what, and Namadi Sambo handled what?

You Nigerians demanding what you don’t deserve, you cannot give what you don’t possess.

No be Jonathan sell your electricity infrastructure to Quacks?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Penguin2: 9:23pm On Apr 09, 2022
buckeyemedia:

You Nigerians demanding what you don’t deserve, you cannot give what you don’t possess.

So were Buhari and Osinbajo voted for to be like Jonathan and Sambo?

Was that the premise upon which they canvassed for votes?

1 Like

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by buckeyemedia: 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2022
backnbeta:

I don't trust these guys! I read an article to that effect. Here:

National Grid My Foot
[b]We keep hearing that the national grid has collapsed! Nobody has asked how?? Ask them how, cos it is imperative to understand these people when they give excuses. How? In what way did it crash? Did the transmission infrastructure fail or did the distribution network and infrastructure collapse?

They are liars! Do you know what really happened? They can no longer sustain their lies with N700 diesel. Instead of investing in proper power generating facilities and capacity, what most of the GenCos have been doing is to get by on what is called Peak Power diesel plants and now, apparently that plan has gone belly up! It has become unsustainable!

I will explain. What has been sustaining Nigerian power supply for a few years now is mostly our hydroelectric plants and Turbine power station operations such as Egbin, Afam, Olorunsogo and Sapele power plants. Up until February, Egbin was contributing an average of 800MW to 900MW to the national grid. Egbon has an installed capacity of 1320MW. Sadly, there was a recent fire outbreak in Egbin. This happened this past February, after which Egbin lost about 630MW of its output and thus, its ability to contribute meaningfully to the national grid was greatly diminished.

Other power plants could barely pick up the slack. Do you know why? Most of the nation's powerplants are either non-functional or only partially functional. Many Gencos are quack companies - they were sold to the politically connected, most of whom were inexperienced and greedy oligarchs, who are ever claiming subsidy and capacity which they do not have, cos they have not really invested. Power generation requires massive investment, after which the benefits and dividends could be sustained for many decades. They clearly do not care about investing, all they are interested in is the subventions and rents from FGN.

What many of these GenCos have been doing is what is called Peak power contribution - these are essential massive diesel generators which are designed to contribute in times of high demand, to a more stable and constant base powerplant in a grid setup. In essence, a Genco should ideally have a base powerplant (could be Gas turbine or Coal) and then in addition to that, a peak power supplement. The peak power supplement would normally only be used when there is short-lived or sudden high demand.

What happened to our Gencos is that most of our base power plants are not functional (this is why we keep hearing claims of generating capacity which is never realized or manifested in our total output or experience as consumers). Many of our Gencos contribute so little to the national base power pool that it is laughable! For that, they get to claim a status of being "partially functional". What these criminal Gencos have really been sustaining themselves with is the supplementary peak power contribution and thus, they have been almost entirely dependent on diesel. When diesel price went up astronomically, they went belly up!

They can no longer sustain the cost of their deceitful and false existence. It explains why the industry has forever been complaining about not making profits. They have not invested in the proper infrastructure. This has made our electricity very expensive! This is in truth what caused the so-called "National grid to crash". Remember the statement that Nigeria economy is run on diesel? It has never been truer than it is now! And things are not going to get better soon - not until raining season. You all need to start praying for rain.
My five cents.
Copied[/b]
You have exposed Jonathan & his pdp Criminal friends?
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by buckeyemedia: 9:28pm On Apr 09, 2022
Penguin2:

So were Buhari and Osinbajo voted for to be like Jonathan and Sambo?

Was that the premise upon which they canvassed for votes?
Go put Toyota Corolla engine for Richard Hamilton’s Mercedes Benz, let’s see if he will poll @ the Grand Prix?

Your ancestors failed, you are a creation of failure, keep looking for who to be your scape goat, na because of President Buhari you no get electricity for Naija yet renewable energy capabilities full everywhere from wind to solar?

Lazy wicked beings, tomorrow they will run to church & be shouting Jesus Christ? Hypocrite Pharisees.

Yet Jehovah said let there be light.
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 9:43pm On Apr 09, 2022
Stick to your generator
kayperry:

Can you imagine ! after spending 2m i go still dey do 11am - 4pm shift, 2m inverter just to watch dstv, fan & charge phone .. ati gbo
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by FEGEITOK: 9:52pm On Apr 09, 2022
From the standpoint of business continuity and disaster recovery it was a wrong design from the get go to have just one national grid.

It makes no sense.

If A doesn't have light then no one else should?

How about A can have light even if B's grid is nonfunctional?

Why do we say security is multi layered but with such critical infrastructure we allowed for a single point of failure? Is the failure to have electricity not a security issue as well as an economic issue?

This national grid design is faulty from the get go.

A point of failure anywhere shouldn't bring the entire country down
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by 1864four: 10:43pm On Apr 09, 2022
[s]
buckeyemedia:

[/s]
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by poiZon: 11:34pm On Apr 09, 2022
treesun:

I am a small boy oo!
Don't worry u go grow
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Penguin2: 11:38pm On Apr 09, 2022
buckeyemedia:
Go put Toyota Corolla engine for Richard Hamilton’s Mercedes Benz, let’s see if he will poll @ the Grand Prix?

Your ancestors failed, you are a creation of failure, keep looking for who to be your scape goat, na because of President Buhari you no get electricity for Naija yet renewable energy capabilities full everywhere from wind to solar?

Lazy wicked beings, tomorrow they will run to church & be shouting Jesus Christ? Hypocrite Pharisees.

Yet Jehovah said let there be light.

So by implication you are saying that you lots knew that Nigeria was foundation-ally damaged and cannot be remedied but still went ahead to project Buhari and Osinbajo as the messiahs?

1 Like

Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 8:44am On Apr 10, 2022
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by miketayo(m): 10:33am On Apr 10, 2022
QuinModah:
undecided

U win smiley
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by Nisot7: 1:50pm On Apr 10, 2022
QuinModah:
I Will not recommend it. Iron is the most powerful appliances in the house
not iron but AC
Re: Energy Crisis: Electricity National Grid Collapses Again by QuinModah(f): 5:54pm On Apr 10, 2022
Nisot7:
not iron but AC
Ho

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lawal-Dare: Candidate Sacked By Court Wins Fresh PDP Guber Primary In Zamfara / President Buhari Arrives Lafia For APC Presidential Campaign Rally In Nasarawa / Lagos Distributes 115 Jeeps To Obas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.