Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? (15736 Views)

61-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 40 Years In Marriage. Photos / "Women Want Equality Only When It Suits Them" - Man Says / How To Convince Parents That Tribe Doesn't Matter In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by lexy2014: 12:30pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:
I observed that the woman for whatever reasons always play the underdog in marriage. She is often regarded as a 'helper' playing almost a docile role in decision-making in the home.

Most people use religious precepts to relegate the rights of a woman to the background: as being the house-keeper and 'child-bearer'. But in modern times, many women play the role of 'provider' in the home, therefore forcing the man to also assist with household chores.

In modern times, Even in civilised climes, women now seek to either being independent parents or share same authority as the man in the home. But where the man does not feel comfortably with this, the result is divorce. I want to assume that this is the major cause of domestic violence in majority of homes.

Most women feel more comfortable being single parents than to submit to the egocentric excesses of the male folk.

What is your stand on this issue. I personally speak as a male.

Pls what is gender equality? Does gender equality exist?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Awkabigboy: 12:30pm On Apr 23, 2022
Kobojunkie:
▪︎ [s]there is no such thing as the power and authority of a man, nor accountability of a child. undecided

▪︎. Who gave you this power you claim abeg? undecided
▪︎ Russia/Ukraine? Are you sane at all? undecided
▪︎ You are joking, right? In Afghanistan, Iraq etc., were the same rules applied? Some of you don't even realize how deep the rabbit hole you have fallen[/s]. undecided
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by derecho(m): 12:30pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gender Equality is nonexistent and won't work.
What is workable is Gender Equity.

Gender Equity NOT Equality

7 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by madprophet(m): 12:31pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:
I observed that the woman for whatever reasons always play the underdog in marriage. She is often regarded as a 'helper' playing almost a docile role in decision-making in the home.

Most people use religious precepts to relegate the rights of a woman to the background: as being the house-keeper and 'child-bearer'. But in modern times, many women play the role of 'provider' in the home, therefore forcing the man to also assist with household chores.

In modern times, Even in civilised climes, women now seek to either being independent parents or share same authority as the man in the home. But where the man does not feel comfortably with this, the result is divorce. I want to assume that this is the major cause of domestic violence in majority of homes.

Most women feel more comfortable being single parents than to submit to the egocentric excesses of the male folk.

In the beginning it was not so..

Men are to love there wives and women in turn submit.. in real life scenarios where all of this plays out the woman would usually have a kind of grip on her husband most of the times.

The dynamics of marriage is interesting and cannot be fully understood in layman terms we can only try to describe it.

All of this things women are hustling for they get it in a loving marriage because most times men woukd mostly like compromise more than the woman...

A woman is the next the man is head.. so she helps head to function and to large extent they hade pivotal even if the role is not so pronounced

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Slurity(m): 12:31pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:

No religion or believe support gender equality because equality did not actually exist anywhere in the world, why must you want it in marriage?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by ofexpryz(m): 12:32pm On Apr 23, 2022
My opinion?
I do not believe that a man and woman can be equals even in marriage as each one of them have a role to play in the union.
We should just understand that roles in whatever capacity is vital be you the husband or the wife.
Where we see one party engaging in rebellious acts is when one starts lording over the other.

If as a man you perform your role as the man you will not have to beg for respect.

As a woman if you perform your role, you will not have to beg for attention and love.

Question now is, what are our roles?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by lexy2014: 12:32pm On Apr 23, 2022
koyyess:

Because people don't understand what marriage is especially afrizoorians.

They always introduce slavery to everything. That's why they will forever be at the bottom of the food chain world wide.

It's a curse really that God himself has allowed since the brain of an average Afrizoorian is underdeveloped.

We thank feminists who will continue to spread their propaganda. Let foot mats and male apologist continue to be beaten, r@ped and killed in their own homes since they have low IQ.

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BleedTears: 12:33pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:

Oga abi madam, go and marry. Do your family anyhow you like, even children equality put am for your family

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Emekuss(m): 12:33pm On Apr 23, 2022
What I know is that there will never be equality between men and women. You people should be talking about equity not equality.

7 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Visasolution048: 12:33pm On Apr 23, 2022
SmartPolician:
I always say that marriage is not for everyone. If a woman feels too big to be under a man, she is free to become a single mom.

After all, men and women have equal opportunities nowadays. There can never be two captains in one ship.

OP, you are free to make your wife the head of your home - just don't shove it down our throats. One of the best things that life gave us was freewill.

God bless you..

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by advocatejare(m): 12:33pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:

What religion do you practice?
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Visasolution048: 12:34pm On Apr 23, 2022
Emekuss:
What I know is that there will never be equality between men and women. You people should be talking about equity not equality.

Wise man...They can never be equality...

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by cavreek: 12:34pm On Apr 23, 2022
In as much as I would've love to agree with OP but I slightly disagree
Reason is that men naturally have ego and they fill fulfilled when they are the bread winners or decision takers in the home
However, I'm of the opinion that the suggestions of women should be integral as both parties will be affected whatever be the outcome of the decision
I am yet to see a home where the woman is the bread winner and also the man is submissive to her....
Sounds awkward though

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by advocatejare(m): 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2022
odinson1:
Women Basically want 3 things
1. the Power and Authority of a man
2. The Privileges of Being a Woman
3. The Accountability of A child.

I pity those ignorant, naive men who are fighting for Equality for women. Those idiots don't realize that they are being cheated,the woman you are fighting for,is trying to overthrow your power. She will expect you to man up and fight for her,or Provide when times are hard. But when times are good,they will drag equality with you. Take the Russian/Ukraine war as a case study. The women are allowed to leave,but the men are mandated to stay. Not a single feminist came out to say women were being Relegated (because they are weak,which is true).
You know why? It is because times are hard,it is war,so they don't have the luxury to be fighting for equality now.
All the females in the world should have protested at the UN headquarters that the women in Ukraine should be allowed to stay and fight the war, why label women as weak by allowing them to leave the country when the men are allowed to stay?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by IdrisE(m): 12:37pm On Apr 23, 2022
odinson1:

I pity those ignorant, naive men who are fighting for Equality for women. Those idiots don't realize that they are being cheated,the woman you are fighting for,is trying to overthrow your power. She will expect you to man up and fight for her,or Provide when times are hard. But when times are good,they will drag equality with you. Take the Russian/Ukraine war as a case study. The women are allowed to leave,but the men are mandated to stay. Not a single feminist came out to say women were being Relegated (because they are weak,which is true).
You know why? It is because times are hard,it is war,so they don't have the luxury to be fighting for equality now.

You've said it right. For me despite being an advocate for social right and equality, I still have a problem with SDG4 and this happen when I look in details the so called Gender equality.
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by redcliff: 12:37pm On Apr 23, 2022
there is no such thing as gender equality!
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Sebgajere(m): 12:37pm On Apr 23, 2022
God bless u sir
odinson1:

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by koyyess: 12:38pm On Apr 23, 2022
lexy2014:

Does tribal equality, societal class equality, racial equality...etc exist?

If they don't , should we consider it as normal?

That should answer your question.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 12:38pm On Apr 23, 2022
odinson1:

@bold:

Interesting.

Let me go do my research.
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by incogni2o: 12:39pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:

Firstly, are you married?

Because if not, you are very naive and inexperienced.

The Family is a team, and there is a team lead which definitely isn't the Woman.

Sometimes, even if you as a team member, your proposition is right, you give way to the team lead or rather leave the team.

Thats the natural way things should work.

However, an immature team lead doesn't know how to handle a contentious team member ,a contentious team member isn't also good for any team.

You see where I am going?

Everyone has a right, but in every team, one person has the final say. Most Women don't understand this.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:39pm On Apr 23, 2022
You can't have special treatment and equality at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:

Go and start exchanging words with or talk down to the Managing Director of the firm you work for and see how far you'll go carrier wise. That arrangement of hierarchy in a company is there for a reason, without it the company would be a house of chaos, and a free for all environment! No company would survive this. How come you respect and defer to the managing director of your company but then come home and challenge the authority of your husband?

Marriage is a sacred institution that comes with rules and a hierarchy! If you have a problem with taking instructions or direction or see loving submission as a problem, then by all means stay away from marriage!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by incogni2o: 12:40pm On Apr 23, 2022
Raspberries:
I'm not a fan of marriage... I'm definitely not submissive... undecided

Its a pity, you choose this unfortunate path for yourself.

Sure you are still in your 20s

Maximum, early 30s.

I pray you don't regret and get matured fast

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Image123(m): 12:40pm On Apr 23, 2022
Even all fingers are not equal. Try making them equal and cause problem.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Backpedal: 12:40pm On Apr 23, 2022
When these women are very excited about traditional wedding; snapping pictures and "peppering" imaginary and perceived bad belle people; they did not realize what they were getting into.
The very fact that a man paid anything (or did something on your head; which I think is a moronic statement btw)
You have already become a part of him and somewhat under him.
Say what you want
That's what it is
Those are the rules of traditional marriages
And you gleefully signed up to it

Civil marriages on the other hand do not have such encumbrance
Two people are coming together
No bride price involved

For real gender equality in marriage in this Nigeria to be a thing
The two parties MUST come together as equals and on equal footing

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by imagrg(m): 12:40pm On Apr 23, 2022
Most of our thoughts as men are ego-boosting and savage.
Winters23:

No matter how Africans tries to copy western degenerate culture, Africa will never be western!

Here in Africa A MAN AND A WOMAN CAN NEVER BE EQUAL!

One drunken man is more intelligent than three women with PHD!

A wife will forever be under the husband

A girlfriend will always be a bitch to her guy

Don't ever bring this nonsense gender equility cum feminism here, take it to quora and reddit where the western pigs massage their ego.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by dilini(m): 12:41pm On Apr 23, 2022
See as I dey look you
Raspberries:
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Femi8586(m): 12:42pm On Apr 23, 2022
Gee64:
That a woman shares in decision-making doesn't make her the boss. Marriage is not an organisation. It is a union where both parties should be equal shareholders. Marriage is the only human institution where you have two heads giving moral instructions to their offspring and managing the affairs of the family on equal terms. That way, a harmonious relationship will be established.

A man tackled you with strong and valid points up there, but I noticed you decided to ignore him and look for soft targets to engage. I see.

Equality, in a real sense, is a scam. Nature didn't design it that way, na we just wan form over civilized.

Women will only claim or drag equality with men when the condition is favourable. They will run away when it's not favourable.

They want equal rights but not equal responsibilities. So I ask you, is that one equality?

5 Likes

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by Visasolution048: 12:44pm On Apr 23, 2022
koyyess:

Because people don't understand what marriage is especially afrizoorians.

They always introduce slavery to everything. That's why they will forever be at the bottom of the food chain world wide.

It's a curse really that God himself has allowed since the brain of an average Afrizoorian is underdeveloped.

We thank feminists who will continue to spread their propaganda. Let foot mats and male apologists continue to be beaten, r@ped, and killed in their own homes since they have low IQ.

Aside U.S and U.K where else do you refer to, the rest of the world...
Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by kazyhm(m): 12:45pm On Apr 23, 2022
odinson1:

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by AutoC: 12:47pm On Apr 23, 2022
Raspberries:

If you find the right person, you would

1 Like

Re: Why Is Gender Equality Not Respected In Marriage? by ednut1(m): 12:47pm On Apr 23, 2022
Dont be deceived alot of women are breadwinners in many Nigerian marriages

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

FG, LGA's Renew Marriage Registration Battle / Help Me Save My Dad Friends / Missing Nigerian Baby Found In Mexico, Father Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.