Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? (433 Views)

What Does It Mean To "Sin Wilfully" In Hebrews 10:26? - Prince Gabriel Okocha / What Does It Mean To Believe On The Lord Jesus Christ? - Olamide Obire / What Does It Mean To Be Poor In The Spirit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by gideonjeta(m): 10:37am On Apr 23, 2022
Many people claim to be a Christian by simply attending a Church service every week or following certain celebrations or traditions. A dictionary defines a Christian as someone who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or who follows the religion based on his life and teachings.

It is logical then that the word 'Christian' refer to a way of life that reflects the attitudes, values, and conduct that Christ preached and exemplified. Jesus said to his followers: “You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you.” (John 15:14). Soon thereafter, “the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.” (Acts 11:26) This new name they bore meant that they believed that Jesus was the Son of God, who had transmitted to mankind the will of his heavenly Father. This belief led them to follow a way of life that differed from that of the world around them.

Christ’s teachings moved his followers to follow Bible teachings, which meant avoiding bad things such as “fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, . . . drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these.” (Galatians 5:19-21). A true Christian way of life should patterned the way Jesus lives his life and not the bad things mentioned earlier.

Another distinctive sign of a true follower of Christ is zealous evangelizing work. Christ commanded his followers: “Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20)

Thus, to be a Christian and a true one at that, is to learn what Jesus taught in the Bible and apply it in our lives, and not just by being a member of a Church.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:54pm On Apr 23, 2022
gideonjeta:
Many people claim to be a Christian by simply attending a Church service every week or following certain celebrations or traditions. A dictionary defines a Christian as someone who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or who follows the religion based on his life and teachings.

It is logical then that the word 'Christian' refer to a way of life that reflects the attitudes, values, and conduct that Christ preached and exemplified. Jesus said to his followers: “You are my friends if you do what I am commanding you.” (John 15:14). Soon thereafter, “the disciples were by divine providence called Christians.” (Acts 11:26) This new name they bore meant that they believed that Jesus was the Son of God, who had transmitted to mankind the will of his heavenly Father. This belief led them to follow a way of life that differed from that of the world around them.

Christ’s teachings moved his followers to follow Bible teachings, which meant avoiding bad things such as “fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, . . . drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these.” (Galatians 5:19-21). A true Christian way of life should patterned the way Jesus lives his life and not the bad things mentioned earlier.

Another distinctive sign of a true follower of Christ is zealous evangelizing work. Christ commanded his followers: “Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20)

Thus, to be a Christian and a true one at that, is to learn what Jesus taught in the Bible and apply it in our lives, and not just by being a member of a Church.

Good job brother! smiley
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 23, 2022
gideonjeta:

I agree. I have seen some unchurched Christians who are more Christians than those who attend Church every day!
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 1:31pm On Apr 23, 2022
PastorMIsBack:

I agree. I have seen some unchurched Christians who are more Christians than those who attend Church every day!

People can be nice and kind but that doesn't makes them Christians, you must associate with fellow believers and WORSHIP with them before Jesus can acknowledge you as one of his own {Hebrews 10:24-25} remember he said:

"For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst.” Matthew 18:20

So whoever is not ASSOCIATING with Christians is not a Christian and Jesus can't recognize him/her such a person is just nice or kind on his/her own:

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isaiah 64:6
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by sonmvayina(m): 1:47pm On Apr 23, 2022
MaxInDHouse:

People can be nice and kind but that doesn't makes them Christians, you must associate with fellow believers and WORSHIP with them before Jesus can acknowledge you as one of his own {Hebrews 10:24-25} remember he said:

"For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst.” Matthew 18:20

So whoever is not ASSOCIATING with Christians is not a Christian and Jesus can't recognize him/her such a person is just nice or kind on his/her own:

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isaiah 64:6

I understand you now, that'd why you refuse to answer my questions.

Would you rather be by yourself and keep God's commandments or be in a peaceful group that worships an idol..you'd rather be in a peaceful group that worships an idol...
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by MaxInDHouse(m): 2:43pm On Apr 23, 2022
sonmvayina:

I understand you now, that'd why you refuse to answer my questions.
Would you rather be by yourself and keep God's commandments or be in a peaceful group that worships an idol..you'd rather be in a peaceful group that worships an idol...

My own definition of God is your own definition of Idol while your own definition of God is the definition of Idol to me, so it's by considering the positive results not on either side's definition of God and Idol! smiley
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Apr 23, 2022
gideonjeta:
According to Jesus Christ Himself, a one who is a Christian is one who obeys His teachings(commandments) - John 14 vs 15 - 25 undecided
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by gideonjeta(m): 5:30pm On Apr 29, 2022
Kobojunkie:
According to Jesus Christ Himself, a one who is a Christian is one who obeys His teachings(commandments) - John 14 vs 15 - 25 undecided

We are basically saying the same thing.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Christian? by Kobojunkie: 5:38pm On Apr 29, 2022
gideonjeta:
We are basically saying the same thing.
I am afraid we are not saying the same thing here ...
gideonjeta:
Christ’s teachings moved his followers to follow Bible teachings, which meant avoiding bad things such as “fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, . . . drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these.” (Galatians 5:19-21). A true Christian way of life should patterned the way Jesus lives his life and not the bad things mentioned earlier. .
...this since Jesus Christ never did not list some of the claims in bold as sin, this in His New Covenant. undecided

Also, Jesus Christ never asked His followers to pattern their lives according to the way that He lived, this since Jesus Christ lived in submission and obedience to God's Old Covenant Law of Moses in the Kingdom of Canaan, this as He taught His followers to instead abide by the New Covenant Law of the Kingdom of God. undecided

(1) (Reply)

I Can Only Die Not Wishing To Come Back To Life / Who Killed All The Black People In Israel? ( Every Black Man Must Know This) / How The God Of Chosen (jesus) Delivered Sodiq, A Muslim From Armed Robbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.