Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,342 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? (34533 Views)

Man Lost His Properties 2 Years After His Nigeria Wife Joined Him In Uk(vid,pix) / My Dad's Friend Willed 90% Of His Properties To His Daughters And Not His Son / Is It A Wise Idea To Sue My Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by duncan511: 5:56pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:
I Know how odd this might sound, with alot of people trooping in to insult me with all sorts of names calling, like I should go and hustle for my own and stop having entitlement mindset on someone's else's property..but you see..I will never relent..am here for those who have logical advise to give to me...so your insults is for yourself and you alone.

My father has been selling his landed properties since 2006, since I was still a little boy.. my fore fathers were among those founders who discovered our town...so huge landed estates were passed down to our lineage...up to this moment my uncle's and aunts have their own share of land intacts... but my dad has almost sold All his own.

*He sold to marry a new wife in 2009

*He sold to develop a small plot in 2011

*he sold to collect a chieftaincy title in 2015

and many combined little selling he's been doing, I had no ideal of

fast forward to 7years later he's left with little plots and some he took from loan defaulters, just this morning I got a call from my elder sister that my dad is about selling the little plot left... I asked to do what, she said she doesn't know yet. As at now am really angry hence me asking if there's anything we the children can do to stop my dad from selling the little plots left even though it's his.. he's the owner, don't we have a say? isn't there any legal law that can stop him.

A friend of mine he's Still enjoying wealth his grand Father left for his father and his father to him, all he did was just to renovate them and dude is packing more than a millionaire yearly from those estate. why would mine be different. Davido did well because his father's a big man who gave him a starting point, same with jowi zaza that guy can never go broke because of his father...

note: I don't think he's trying to wicked us, I know he won't sell all.. but at least the one he had sold his more than the one left... and it won't be enough to share to my siblings and I.... if he leaves this world today... why would he still be selling more. ( am not praying for him to die or anything...but life is common sense) is not a bad thing if a parent gives his children a starting point like his father did.

Besides it doesn't make sense for me to be looking for land to buy when my family is known as one of the owners of the town...my cousin's are even talking behind our back.

legal advice needed please
Leave the man alone, if him marry more than one wife and have other children but if Na only your mother him marry you discuss with him but if not leave him alone to avoid seeing you as some one waiting for him to die so that you can sell his property
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by cavreek: 5:57pm On Apr 23, 2022
Same thing someone I know very well did and he is left with nothing
Most often they don't listen to anyone untill they are done selling everything and in most cases it doesn't end well
One of the reasons why I distaste idleness because all u depend on is ur assets and u keep selling off one by one untill u realize u are left with nothing

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Sunnydoo: 5:57pm On Apr 23, 2022
naxyrick:
you never meet bad father.thank your God you have a good one as a father.there people out there suffering from the wickedness of a father against his own blood

Well, what u said about the bad effects of fathers on their offsprings is correct. I have my ancestors own to take care of.

But, do u know how the man acquired his properties?

If its illegitimate via any means, then, its a blessing in disguise for the children on the above subjects.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by duncan511: 5:58pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:
I Know how odd this might sound, with alot of people trooping in to insult me with all sorts of names calling, like I should go and hustle for my own and stop having entitlement mindset on someone's else's property..but you see..I will never relent..am here for those who have logical advise to give to me...so your insults is for yourself and you alone.

My father has been selling his landed properties since 2006, since I was still a little boy.. my fore fathers were among those founders who discovered our town...so huge landed estates were passed down to our lineage...up to this moment my uncle's and aunts have their own share of land intacts... but my dad has almost sold All his own.

fast forward to 7years later he's left with little plots and some he took from loan defaulters, just this morning I got a call from my elder sister that my dad is about selling the little plot left... I asked to do what, she said she doesn't know yet. As at now am really angry hence me asking if there's anything we the children can do to stop my dad from selling the little plots left even though it's his.. he's the owner, don't we have a say? isn't there any legal law that can stop him.

A friend of mine he's Still enjoying wealth his grand Father left for his father and his father to him, all he did was just to renovate them and dude is packing more than a millionaire yearly from those estate. why would mine be different. Davido did well because his father's a big man who gave him a starting point, same with jowi zaza that guy can never go broke because of his father...

note: I don't think he's trying to wicked us, I know he won't sell all.. but at least the one he had sold his more than the one left... and it won't be enough to share to my siblings and I.... if he leaves this world today... why would he still be selling more. ( am not praying for him to die or anything...but life is common sense) is not a bad thing if a parent gives his children a starting point like his father did.

Besides it doesn't make sense for me to be looking for land to buy when my family is known as one of the owners of the town...my cousin's are even talking behind our back.

Leave the man alone, if him marry more than one wife and have other children but if Na only your mother him marry you discuss with him but if not leave him alone to avoid seeing you as some one waiting for him to die so that you can sell his properties
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Charlesedet: 5:58pm On Apr 23, 2022
ETHICALLYrlght:
You can't sue someone for his property. The case will be struck out for no cause of action.

Your father owns valid titles to the real properties through first settlement. Put differently, he bought the plots of land from nobody but inherited it customarily as a descendant of those who settled there first.

I presume based on the preceding paragraph that the land documents are not registered at the land registry of your state because from experience the first document descendants of first settlers prepare regarding their land is usually a deed of gift, deed of lease, deed of assignment or power of attorney depending on the circumstances.

My advice is that you should get very close to your father this period. Let everyone believe you are his favourite son. Show him how to enjoy the internet with a smartphone. Encourage him to eat wheat instead of Garri or Akpu or Amala etc.... You know all those things his mates like grin

During this period, learn his signature, prepare a deed of gift and get your close allies including your sister as witnesses. It's even better if you can make him sign the paper himself through misrepresentation (This is a special course I can tutor you on).
Register the deed of gift at the appropriate registry and pay the required dues to the government registry. To be more smooth get registered surveyors to survey the land and register the survey plans with the government in your name.

You have all commercial banks need to grant you a loan. When you've successfully mortgaged the properties, use that money to do something good for yourself.
BENEFITS
1. Your father will not be able to sell a land you mortgaged to the bank. The bank will take him to court and deed of gift you presented to the bank will be a superior title.
2. The bank will not own the land as long as you invested the loan wisely and follow the repayment plan honestly.
3. After the expiration of each mortgage, begin new mortgages to further expand your investments. But ensure you always repay your loan.
4. Your father will pass on while the case lingers in the court. I trust NIGERIAN courts (15 years no judgment just adjournments)
5. When he passes on, end all mortgages and keep the land if you wish.
DISADVANTAGES
If you believe in curses don't try this. I do not believe in them grin

Incredible
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by NickD(m): 5:58pm On Apr 23, 2022
yanabasee:
Sue his azz.......

This is how some parents strike in poverty into their family....

Stop listening to these people... get a good council and seek legal address and know how to play it....

Highest, he should will some of the properties to you and your siblings and sell the rest.....
Seek legal address on what grounds. That I'm selling my property. He can even choose to will it away. He owes him nothing.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Richy4(m): 5:58pm On Apr 23, 2022

grin grin cheesy
He cleverly avoided how he sold some portion to see him through the university cheesy... Nothing is impossible this days...

Nowadays parents no longer dies before children starts having property tussle... The parents will be alive to see it happen before their very eyes cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Lacash: 5:59pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:

That’s his property, what he labour so hard for…So goan and work for urs mr Man.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by guru90: 5:59pm On Apr 23, 2022
chaloskyx:
Your father worked for what he has go and work for yours lazy generation

Simple......................

That guy do lazy joor..........

Me: I hustle and made alot of money by myself...

Built 2 different houses by myself with GOD........

I never for once look into my father properties at all................

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by meetme01: 6:00pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:

thanks for this.
but if I approached him to buy, he might look it as disrespect because we've quarreled about this several times. and if I went to him to give me I want to build now, when am not financially ready yet, it might lead another thing. I know he might agree but my other siblings from his other wives may kick against it asking for theirs.

If you have the money, use an old friend.

You make two Sale of Land Agreement

You friend will buy from your father

Your friend will now sign the other that he sold the land to you.

Automatically, you own the land without any glitch. Ensure you keep both agreements for future purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Ayodele20(m): 6:01pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:

I'm afraid there's nothing you can do,man.
The only place where you can do something and get to stop your father is in an Islamic State.In an Islamic State,a caliph can restrict a man from spending his own money if there's evidence that it is spent senselessly and not put to good use.The caliph can tell him the amount of money he's allowed to spend,say,in a week (for instance,he may be allowed to spend only $500 in a week) if there's strong evidence that the man doesn't know what he's doing and squandering his wealth and suffering his children.

In Islam,your wealth is not meant only for you.People have rights to it. Your family,the poor(which you give in charity),the orphans and others. A man with wealth who then goes on spending it senselessly is infringing upon the rights of his children(as they will inherit it and he has to leave inheritance for them) and must be stopped after clear evidence is established.
And this is why,even when a Muslim man writes a will and will his property beyond the percentage that can be willed (e.g willing large percentage of his property to orphanage while his family gets little), such will is discarded and the Islamic law (Shariah) of inheritance is used to share his wealth among his family.Everyone will get their share accordingly and none will be cheated. His mother(if alive will get hers),his brothers and sisters, his wife,his children. Everyone will get their share according to Allah's book(Qur'an).

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by sugarcoatted(f): 6:01pm On Apr 23, 2022
All of you telling him to go and buy the land from the father, how will he buy it when he is busy looking for online loan apps to borrow from and not pay back.

No wonder he is looking for inheritance instead of hustling. He sounds so much like someone that is just waiting by the side for inheritance. What if the father now has a will and decides to exclude him from it, what will he do?

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by osazsky(m): 6:03pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:

oga shut up and live ur life as if there was no land..its cuz u are thinking of lands that y its enveloping u..its not yours it's not yours u cant go to court except u want to kill him..most of our grand parents used lands to marry.stop wailing it's a normal thing
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by tjfulloption(m): 6:03pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:

thanks for this.
but if I approached him to buy, he might look it as disrespect because we've quarreled about this several times. and if I went to him to give me I want to build now, when am not financially ready yet, it might lead another thing. I know he might agree but my other siblings from his other wives may kick against it asking for theirs.

Yes, let it start that way, once you ask for allocation of land that you wants to build your house, BOOM!!!! you have kick start it for all of you including your step siblings, that way your dad will have a sober reflection about selling the lands and start thinking of inheritance for his children.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by tunjilana: 6:04pm On Apr 23, 2022
Legally there is nothing you can do..they are his properties

But morally and traditionally you can get kinsmen and others to talk to him, considering that the land were inherited by him and not obtained by his sweat...In my opinion, inherited assets are meant to be kept and passed down

Above all, focus on your own hustle and let inheritance be something u keep like a souvenir that your ancestors did well....not something to live on

2 Likes

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by tunjilana: 6:07pm On Apr 23, 2022
osazsky:
oga shut up and live ur life as if there was no land..its cuz u are thinking of lands that y its enveloping u..its not yours it's not yours u cant go to court except u want to kill him..most of our grand parents used lands to marry.stop wailing it's a normal thing

Ancestral land is somehow diff...though the writer's mentality is wrong cos he wants to rely on the land...however, it is important to have a piece of where your ancestors lived and pass it soon generations...it is a point of reference and question of identity....even if u are dangote...u still want something in your father's home...

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Slurity(m): 6:09pm On Apr 23, 2022
Born2winKingOG:

This is the most senseless thinking I have ever seen. This is the highest level of greed mix with stupidity. You really want to Sue a man for enjoying his own labour? What kind of human being are these?

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by okoroemeka(m): 6:10pm On Apr 23, 2022
Kriss216:

At least he sold the lands for valid reasons. Not like he's squandering the money
I don't think marrying a new wife and a chieftaincy title are valid reasons,how can you sell your land to be a chief?next he will sell another one to buy a Jeep,how dumb does it sound,despite the fact that he inherited the land and can do whatever he likes,but in our community he must give the sons land to build their own houses before selling everything,forget about lawyer and court be prepared for village politics,if it is in igboland put omu on that remaining land and report or sue him to the eze or igwe council,he maybe a chief but some other titled men will not like him,sound those people out and meet them one on one in their house be sure to go with original hot drink and tell them your predicament,they will cherish the respect and give you advice how to tackle the case,on the day of the case be bold and say what happened without fear, you will be supported by majority of the cabinet because a man that can sell a land for frivilous reasons will not be liked much by his peers, something like this happened in my in-laws place and it is the eze cabinet that shared the land themselves to the children of the man

2 Likes

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by phadul: 6:11pm On Apr 23, 2022
hmmm my guy you have answered you own question in your pre writeup nothing you can do it is his property to be used the way he feels like and wnjoy life before he dies! the only question i shd ask you is he in his sound mind i.e not cenile due to old age? if he is ok then you allow him to do as he pleases that the advice and pray to God to give you yours
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Richie77: 6:12pm On Apr 23, 2022
His own side of the story might be lazy children not ready to work. Only ready to inherit.

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by 9icetoo(m): 6:13pm On Apr 23, 2022
Tot I had seen it all.

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Freemasonry: 6:15pm On Apr 23, 2022
yanabasee:
Sue his azz.......

Stop listening to these people... get a good council and seek legal address and know how to play it....

Highest, he should will some of the properties to you and your siblings and sell the rest.....
Did you actually think before writing all that crap?

Mtchwww!!!

Op, bro you have no right to the landed properties until your dad either gives it to you, or dies. Either way, it's his to do as he pleases.
The only thing you can do is appeal to him to consider you and your siblings before selling these lands. Other than that, oga there's nothing else you can do.

If you listen to these uninformed people asking you to sue him, when the case gets to court, you'll see how the judge will laugh you to scorn.

And quiet frankly, I think you're a bit too entitled.

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Coronavirus1: 6:15pm On Apr 23, 2022
yanabasee:
Sue his azz.......

You are a bad adviser,Let the young man work hard to get richer than his father he can own an estate

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by misterjosh(m): 6:15pm On Apr 23, 2022
If you have the means, why not buy your "inheritance" from your father...
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Trustworthiness: 6:16pm On Apr 23, 2022
Imagine this lazy boy talking of inheritance when his father is still alive.

For your information, there is no inheritance for you yet as your father is still alive. You can only talk of inheritance when he is no more.

Boy!!! Go and Hussle and take good care of your father. Then we shall see if your father will continue to sell his properties and not your inheritance. Because you have none yet from him

1 Like

Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by grandstar(m): 6:16pm On Apr 23, 2022
Your dad is a little bit like yours. He was on his late 70s and rather than prepare a will at this stage of his life, he was hell bent on continuing as though he'd live another 100 more years.

He's dead now and left no will. He was polygamous and had 3 wives. Thank God we were brought up to take care of ourselves and there's zero acrimony between my siblings and half-siblings. The first born, my full blood sister is now regarded as the head of the family. My mom preceded my dad in death.

My dad too sold some of his assets. One was a bungalow on Awolowo Way, Ikeja. That property today would be worth at least 170m. He sold another in Ogba which would be worth about 50m today.

Dividing what's left between 3 wives would be tricky. Anyway, we are all united and not even started talk about sharing his estate.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by NorthernersSuck: 6:17pm On Apr 23, 2022
Cutehector:
How much is he selling let me come and buy. Even employ you join sef.

So you people wants to buy all the properties in the Yoruba land, abi?
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by PAQ(m): 6:18pm On Apr 23, 2022
ETHICALLYrlght:
You can't sue someone for his property. The case will be struck out for no cause of action.

Your father owns valid titles to the real properties through first settlement. Put differently, he bought the plots of land from nobody but inherited it customarily as a descendant of those who settled there first.

I presume based on the preceding paragraph that the land documents are not registered at the land registry of your state because from experience the first document descendants of first settlers prepare regarding their land is usually a deed of gift, deed of lease, deed of assignment or power of attorney depending on the circumstances.

My advice is that you should get very close to your father this period. Let everyone believe you are his favourite son. Show him how to enjoy the internet with a smartphone. Encourage him to eat wheat instead of Garri or Akpu or Amala etc.... You know all those things his mates like grin

During this period, learn his signature, prepare a deed of gift and get your close allies including your sister as witnesses. It's even better if you can make him sign the paper himself through misrepresentation (This is a special course I can tutor you on).
Register the deed of gift at the appropriate registry and pay the required dues to the government registry. To be more smooth get registered surveyors to survey the land and register the survey plans with the government in your name.

You have all commercial banks need to grant you a loan. When you've successfully mortgaged the properties, use that money to do something good for yourself.
BENEFITS
1. Your father will not be able to sell a land you mortgaged to the bank. The bank will take him to court and deed of gift you presented to the bank will be a superior title.
2. The bank will not own the land as long as you invested the loan wisely and follow the repayment plan honestly.
3. After the expiration of each mortgage, begin new mortgages to further expand your investments. But ensure you always repay your loan.
4. Your father will pass on while the case lingers in the court. I trust NIGERIAN courts (15 years no judgment just adjournments)
5. When he passes on, end all mortgages and keep the land if you wish.
DISADVANTAGES
If you believe in curses don't try this. I do not believe in them grin

As helpful as u are, u have just made your self complicit, forgery is a felony. I am no lawyer but you can be held liable for your advice if the OP goes ahead with your suggestion. If you are a professional your certificate can be revoked. Your intentions may be good but.... Remember, the internet keeps record, this could be brought up to question your character tomorrow.

Pls dont get me wrong, i am not attacking you, you could have sent him a private message though.
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by 001spice: 6:22pm On Apr 23, 2022
Op let say ur father didn`t have any property will u die. I think u r planning to be a lazy fellow
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by Cutehector(m): 6:24pm On Apr 23, 2022
NorthernersSuck:

So you people wants to buy all the properties in the Yoruba land, abi?
yes
Re: Can I Sue My Father For Selling Our Inheritance, His Properties Anyhow? by talk2hb1(m): 6:30pm On Apr 23, 2022
esperon25:

Although they are his property, he is responsible for the children he brought into this world.
It's his duty to ensure they are established as much as possible before he passes on.
His children did not ask to be born, he brought them here. It's only decent and essential of him to leave something for them to start life with or support their hustle, if he has such means/resources, instead of squandering it.

Not Everyone care about that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Help!!! My Host Is Sexing A Minor... What Should I Do???? / Important Things To Discuss Before Marriage / I Was Punished, Ostracized For 20 Years For Marrying A White Lady: Aroms Aigbehi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.