Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,212 members, 7,822,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary (30820 Views)

FG Stops Salaries Of University Workers Not Enrolled On IPPIS / NASU Directs University Workers, Others To Begin Strike Over IPPIS / Nigeria University Workers To Commence Warning Strike From Monday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by Connected1: 11:37am On Apr 27, 2022
Enskynelson:

We cannot pretend everything is fine when it is not. The soldiers you talk about, is it affecting their level of disharging their duties or not? What is the point pretending everything is fine when it is not? What is the point going to work and not doing what u are supposed to do from your heart? If there is anyone SELLFISH here, it is the government who does not see how important education is. If you have a family and you earn 100k in this regime, you barely struggle to survive in this time especially if you live in the cities.

The workers are barely fighting for their right. I don't know what is selfish about fighting for your right!

When have you seen House of Rep orSenate protest none payment of their allowances in this country? In spite their huge allowances, they are not being owed in a hash economy. It is the people struggling to survive that they are allowances are being owed. Nothing more selfish than that.
Comparing Teachers with House of Reps member is totally out of line, they are the leaders and law makers, I believe you know so, they have a higher opportunities ,than lecturers.

An Ex-president was a Lecturer, yet when he got into the seat he still owed ASSU for 6 years nothing fulfilling was done, All you lecturers know how to do is rant and speak big grammars, when it's time to take actions, you will all quiver like a sick hen, if your son goes to the city and makes money and connections and he can't use it to help you and your family , tell me who will help you, he's the one that knows his family's struggles and as such will do anything to relief them off it.

To think that some of these lecturers feel and act like demi gods in the school premises gets me paranoid, little wonder if they dictate your destiny because even the ones you earn money than will tell you that you will amount to nothing in life.
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by Enskynelson(m): 12:02pm On Apr 27, 2022
Connected1:

Comparing Teachers with House of Reps member is totally out of line, they are the leaders and law makers, I believe you know so, they have a higher opportunities ,than lecturers.

[b]An Ex-president was a Lecturer, yet when he got into the seat he still owed ASSU for 6 years nothing [/b]fulfilling was done, All you lecturers know how to do is rant and speak big grammars, when it's time to take actions, you will all quiver like a sick hen, if your son goes to the city and makes money and connections and he can't use it to help you and your family , tell me who will help you, he's the one that knows his family's struggles and as such will do anything to relief them off it.

To think that some of these lecturers feel and act like demi gods in the school premises gets me paranoid, little wonder if they dictate your destiny because even the ones you earn money than will tell you that you will amount to nothing in life.
House of Rep is different because you are Nigerian. You want quality out of nothing. How is it possible to achieve such? The decay in the system is because the government does not give priority to Education irrespective of whether it's a PhD holder that is the president or a Primary School Cert holder!

Strike has now become part of the curriculum in the Nigerian Public Schools. If you cannot take it, go to Covenant University and the likes.

We shall continue to fight for our right! When the government is ready, the strike will end.
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by Connected1: 12:54pm On Apr 27, 2022
Enskynelson:

House of Rep is different because you are Nigerian. You want quality out of nothing. How is it possible to achieve such? The decay in the system is because the government does not give priority to Education irrespective of whether it's a PhD holder that is the president or a Primary School Cert holder!

Strike has now become part of the curriculum in the Nigerian Public Schools. If you cannot take it, go to Covenant University and the likes.

We shall continue to fight for our right! When the government is ready, the strike will end.

Lol

I can't find anything reasonable here Sir.

You are out of points to say, If Good luck Jonathan whom it was rumoured he wore only one pair of shoes everyday as a lecturer couldn't do anything about the incessant Assu strike as a president, then I am sure yourself who's feels very entitled can't do much, are you not the one sending your children to private schools when you finished from a public school.

Nawa

Make una rest abeg, na the half baked graduates wey una dae use frustration produce you wan take boast,
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by Munamoqel: 8:37pm On Apr 27, 2022
Paulheyman:
If ASUU perish we all perish. I think most of the people in this forum assume a lot.

1) During the last ASUU strike in EBSU, the cause of the strike being that the state government reduced the salaries of lecturers by 20% followed by notional promotion (promotion without pay increase). It followed that the same government that complains that there's no money went ahead to reduce student school fees followed by reduction in monthly subvention to EBSU; the consequences of this is that the university became bankrupt. Then, after the first year of the reduction in school fees, there was a subsequent increase in fees by the same government to 30% against the previous 10% reduction. Recently the same state government that subdued ASUU and NASU built a world class university using TETFUND meant for EBSU development. In this their university you pay nearly a million naira to study industrial chemistry. The big question remains can any of us here afford "king David umahi university of medical sciences" the big answer is no; not you and certainly not your children. The university wasn't built for the poor and middle income earners in Nigeria. In fact children of lecturers can't even afford the institution

As I write this, EBSU which was formally the pride of state university in Nigeria is now a shadow of its past glory (politics have destroyed the school). We drove pass the institution on 26-4-2022, the students are protesting that not a single lecture has been taught and yet the university wants them to write exams. The lecturers have only been paid once this year since there are paid using the students school fees (the school fees isn't enough to pay staff salaries), some are not even motivated to teach at all.

2) During the tenure of Gov Elechi of Ebonyi state, the government merged/sold the state owned university teaching hospital with/to FETHA/Federal government, reason being that the state is too poor to have a state university teaching hospital so FETHA absorbed most of their staff but the consequences is staring its indigenes to the face now, just imagine a state without a teaching hospital. That means Ebonyi state government have not and will never employ medical and health workers. The state will be losing their health professionals to other states. FETHA staffs are over burdened while the indigenes can't get enough medical and health services. The big question remains how many of us can afford king David umahi university teaching hospital in Ebonyi state. You already know the answer.

The key function of government is to make life easy and affordable to it's citizens but here in Nigeria we support government blindly; to us politics over everything. Same people who benefit from ASUU, NMA, JOHESU etc misery come online to castigate them.

I don't pray that ASUU should give up but the day they do; we all should be rest assured that education will never be affordable again. Non of us can afford a private university. Government subsidizes health care and education. Imagine how expensive private hospitals are then try to picture how exorbitant private universities is then you can appreciate this battle of purpose.

The reason behind proliferation of private universities is to weaken government universities and if it's achieved then we all should prepare to 1) Lose accreditation because most PhDs will go for job openings at private universities 2) pay more fees and semester dues 3) have uneducated population 4) most of the awarded degrees in public universities will be rejected abroad due to lack of accreditation 5) Brain drain etc.

If I give testimonies of other universities in Nigeria I have had interaction with you'll be perplexed.

Note: Most private universities pay higher salaries than government owned universities. So, it's happening already.

My point: Mixing politics with Education is totally wrong

Disclaimer: This article was not meant to cajole or discredit the government but to bring into light the consequences of ASUU strike
nonsense we don't need all this degree mill up and down but good primary and secondary and vocational School like don in Germany to cater for our population .ASUU act as if Universities education is the most critical for developing Nation.
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by ganasteven: 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2022
Education in this county is zero. Even motivation to go to school is zero.

Meanwhile, Get a professional logo, flyers, banner designs or website for your business, well-detailed project write-ups for all departments, or learn a digital skill, all at very affordable prices.
Reach out to us today on WhatsApp: 08062151345
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by victooman: 10:20pm On Apr 27, 2022
Ebenezer4141:

Your point is clearly invalid and clueless in this case.

So because there are no jobs waiting for them they should wallow their time within the four walls of the university??

The delay you experienced that triggered "the way of hustling in the street" is not palatable for some students. Hustling is acceptable for most students but not "on the street".

In that case, it is better they graduate timely to carry out various prospects they have planed out after their graduation. There are opportunities they may encounter that involves age thresholds that may severely affect their applications or approval.
This one you are writing is grammar,, l guess you are one of those students,, when you finish the reality will set on properly, l wont argue with you biko,,
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by Ofolete: 1:26am On Apr 28, 2022
Alexaonfleek:
Please kindly resign if you're not interested in your university work again.
Wicked man! My national cake�
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by olowofoyekunmat: 2:38am On Apr 28, 2022
��‍♂️��‍♂️��‍♂️
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by Alexaonfleek: 11:11am On Apr 28, 2022
Ofolete:

Wicked man! My national cake�
Why?
You university workers are most times no better than the government you complain about.
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by kernniejay(m): 8:02am On May 02, 2022
Lucas4903:

Tell us which sector hasn’t went on strike under previous administrations. ASUU is just a tool to harass govt. As if we don’t have university lecturers elsewhere in the world, they all have agitations but love their job. No. ASUU loves money more than their job, they have no regard for the future of the kids they are being paid while on strike to teach. Only money agreements matters to them. Even police went on Strike under Jonathan for the records…..

Thank you for your maturity. Now my response is this: ASUU members too are parents and they have wards that are students in these universities, they also pay school fees of their children and they have families to look after, they have house rent to pay and they also buy things in the same markets at same price rich people buy them. How do you want them to meet up with all these responsibilities when govt is owing them? Their main source of income is their lecturing job. So why will money not be important to them? Is money not important to your politicians? Why will the govt hold ASUU's money when the govt is more than capable to pay? Even resident doctors went on strike to demand a better hazard allowance despite how important their job is. Tell your government the truth and stop harrassing people that are demanding for their legitimate right.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by kernniejay(m): 8:12am On May 02, 2022
Neoteny7:

You're probably the son of a lecturer to be so wildly rude and defensive.

Those people are a cancer to the society. What have they done to justify their salaries? Churning out half baked people such as your humble self only harms the society.

They should not be paid for doing no work.

Now, get the fukk outta here.

You just displayed your immaturity and senselessness.
Now my response is this: I am a staff in a universoty and I know the true picture of the issues. ASUU members have responsibilities to meet and they work for their earnings. They have school fees to pay for their wards and themselves as many of them have studies in other schools or countries. They have house rent to pay and they also buy things in the same markets at same price rich people buy them. How do you want them to meet up with all these responsibilities when govt is owing them? Even resident doctors went on strike to demand a better hazard allowance despite how important their job is. Any graduate or student that is half baked just like you have fundamental problem from his primary or secondary school or have passion for something else which is most likely things that will give him quick money. Tell your government the truth and stop harrassing people that are demanding for their legitimate right.

People that lack home training, parental guidance and basic discipline like you are easy to identify by the way you talk to others. Never quote me again because I will not grant you any reply anymore. I am not on the same pedestal with you.

1 Like

Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by Neoteny7: 8:18am On May 02, 2022
kernniejay:

You just displayed your immaturity and senselessness.
Now my response is this: I am a staff in a universoty and I know the true picture of the issues. ASUU members have responsibilities to meet and they work for their earnings. They have school fees to pay for their wards and themselves as many of them have studies in other schools or countries. They have house rent to pay and they also buy things in the same markets at same price rich people buy them. How do you want them to meet up with all these responsibilities when govt is owing them? Even resident doctors went on strike to demand a better hazard allowance despite how important their job is. Any graduate or student that is half baked just like you have fundamental problem from his primary or secondary school or have passion for something else which is most likely things that will give him quick money. Tell your government the truth and stop harrassing people that are demanding for their legitimate right.

People that lack home training, parental guidance and basic discipline like you are easy to identify by the way you talk to others. Never quote me again because I will not grant you any reply anymore. I am not on the same pedestal with you.

You and ASUU can all go to hell
Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by kernniejay(m): 8:21am On May 02, 2022
RodeDindu:

What I know is that this is a class war.
Politicians vs Lecturers.
Now you may ask, why are all politicians sending their children to schools abroad?
Do you know that the greater percentage of Private universities sprouting up in Nigeria every minute is owned by the money bag politicians, some in church pseudonym.

Let those supporting the corrupt politicians continue, at the end of the war, when students will be paying 700k as school fees, they will know the silent war ASUU has been fighting.

Do we have international students in Nigeria?
In countries abroad, indigenous students are on scholarship, tuition free , why can't it be replicated here

Thank you for your wisdom. You made my day. God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: FG Stops Striking University Workers’ Salary by RodeDindu: 12:50pm On May 02, 2022
kernniejay:

Thank you for your wisdom. You made my day. God bless you.

You are welcome, only the wise see beyond the Rubicon. What next after the storm??

Only the Future will tell, but from what am seeing, even without standing on Mount Everest, Nigeria is far gone cos "Who will Bell the Cat"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Lady Surprised She’s Allowed To Take ‘expo’ Into The Examination Hall In The UK / The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) / Kogi State University Post Utme Form Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.