Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language (60961 Views)

What's The English Name Of This Fruit. / What Is This Fruit Called In English? / What Is Moi Moi In English? See Funny Replies From Nigeria Entertainners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Lepon02: 3:52pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:
Have you seen this fruit before, what's it called in English and your native language too.

Mpkuru murimi maknaoki.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 3:53pm On Apr 30, 2022
GerogeI:
Oga, the the name is Ube, safou is secondary. Which kind of inferiority complex is this one. A fruit that is native to us, which we have named, you come and tell us the name is safe, as in our own name for it no gel? Is it not a human being that called it safou in his own place. Haba@!!!
Much of your local fruits aren't native to Africa. Many were brought over from other lands. undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Natajo2021: 3:54pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:
Have you seen this fruit before, what's it called in English and your native language too.

This fruit is common in the rain forest of western Nigeria.
The Ijesa speaking people call it Obesere.
Also known in English as custard apple fruit.
The plant is sweet, I'm sure I had tasted it in growing up years

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Also found another fruit. Not sure what it is called in Nigeria though. The ackee is another member of the soapberry family, much like the longan and the lychee. It is a tricky fruit to eat, because if it is not eaten properly, the fruit can lead to vomiting, a coma or even death.

The only edible part of the fruit is the yellow flesh that surrounds the seeds. This part can also only be eaten when the fruit has turned red and split open. However, some who have tried the fruit do claim that it is worth the risk.

https://listverse.com/2011/07/08/top-20-fruits-you-probably-dont-know/

This is ishin in yoruba. That is where the proverb- odudu bii koro isin comes from- meaning she is as dark as jackee seed; used in appreciating a dark , elegant lady or a guy sha.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by GerogeI(m): 3:58pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Much of your local fruits aren't native to Africa. Many were brought over from other lands. undecided

So what?
Orange came from Mandarin China, did that stop British people from calling it orange.
Or are you saying some thing is wrong with calling it 'Oroma'

If you are tracing origin be clear, but do not start condemning our language as if someone else's is more authentic. All the fruits you name in English, how many of them are native to England that has snow or you do not know fruits are more tropical than temperate. Apart from apple which is from Kazakstan, what they have native are the berries.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Alexprech: 3:58pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:
It's called ujuju in my place....u can find it near streams
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Patrioticbreed9(m): 3:58pm On Apr 30, 2022
As this thread sweet like this our two big bros unu no like am? grin grin

Well i use to see them back then in my childhood in emuoha, Rivers north. we don't eat it though. back then we are found of smashing it on the floor because of the look grin We tagged it "nri ekwensu", never cared asking what the real name was though.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Patrioticbreed9(m): 4:01pm On Apr 30, 2022
Alexprech:
It's called ujuju in my place....u can find it near streams
What part of rivers are you from?
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Karemarealty288(m): 4:01pm On Apr 30, 2022
Polygamous Apple ( Polipapa Apiila)

People that had test of it.......... Ned ,Alaafin and Yul

1 Like

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Bashnigga(m): 4:02pm On Apr 30, 2022
I dunno o
Never seen it & it sure doesn't look like what I'd love to taste tongue
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 4:02pm On Apr 30, 2022
GerogeI:
So what?
Orange came from Mandarin China, did that stop British people from calling it orange.
Or are you saying some thing is wrong with calling it 'Oroma'
Orange is a general English name used for a family of citrus fruits however the name of particular fruits depends a lot on were they are sourced from. E.g. there is a particular hybrid created in Jamaica that goes by the Jamaican name. undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by GerogeI(m): 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Orange is a general English name used for a family of citrus fruits however the name of particular fruits depends a lot on were they are sourced from. E.g. there is a particular hybrid created in Jamaica that goes by the Jamaican name. undecided

All oranges, originated from Mandarin orange! None is native to England.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Onewazobia(m): 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2022
Never site this before
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by StarGra: 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2022
It's called wahala
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On Apr 30, 2022
Patrioticbreed9:
As this thread sweet like this our two big bros unu no like am? grin grin

Well i use to see them back then in my childhood in emuoha, Rivers north. we don't eat it though. back then we are found of smashing it on the floor because of the look grin We tagged it "nri ekwensu", never cared asking what the real name was though.
What wastful beings! undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Bbbw: 4:06pm On Apr 30, 2022
I don’t know
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by 77up(m): 4:09pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The English is Ackee.... and is it true if is deadly? undecided
There is nothing deadly about it, though the black seed part of it is not consumable.

Thanks for the english.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Evidenx(m): 4:09pm On Apr 30, 2022
Who pushed this rubbish to front page?
The moderators nor try at all.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Patrioticbreed9(m): 4:10pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What wastful beings! undecided

We never knew it worth back then... Em even till date undecided .

Other anoying looking fruit's sufferd the same fate too grin.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Holluwhakemmy(f): 4:11pm On Apr 30, 2022
Sour sop
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by waice6571: 4:14pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Also found another fruit. Not sure what it is called in Nigeria though. The ackee is another member of the soapberry family, much like the longan and the lychee. It is a tricky fruit to eat, because if it is not eaten properly, the fruit can lead to vomiting, a coma or even death.

The only edible part of the fruit is the yellow flesh that surrounds the seeds. This part can also only be eaten when the fruit has turned red and split open. However, some who have tried the fruit do claim that it is worth the risk.

This fruit @Ackee is called Ishin in Yoruba land. Remember a popular highbrow area in Ibadan.. Idi-Ishin. I have eaten times without number... The trickish part of it is real. There's an adage in Yoruba language; Eni ti o ba mo Ishin je, yio mo iku oju e yan. I.e... he who must eat an ackee must know how to remove the poison it is laiden with.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Eaglesence: 4:15pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:

Funny enough, I slept off while writing the post. Woke up only to send the post, forgetting that I haven't added pictures.

Oya, why didn't you open it let's see inside na?
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by ofexpryz(m): 4:24pm On Apr 30, 2022
This one na tree no be fruit. Lol.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by DanZenithh(m): 4:27pm On Apr 30, 2022
[quote author=Natajo2021 post=112403180]

This fruit is common in the rain forest of western Nigeria.
The Ijesa speaking people call it Obesere.
Also known in English as custard apple fruit.
The plant is sweet, I'm sure I had tasted it in growing up years[b/quote]

Yes! Obisere. The tree has a big leaves, I tasted it last when I was in Secondary School.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by drololaaof: 4:33pm On Apr 30, 2022
It is ebisewe ,it is juicy ,may be sour initially but sweet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Danniedpastor(m): 4:35pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:

Does it smell like grape wine?
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by vikstandon(m): 4:37pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:

Yeah, I have long searched for it ...I use to consume it when I was a boy. Is found mostly near streams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Titaniumental: 4:39pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:
What is the name of this thing? I don't know whether to call it fruit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Titaniumental: 4:42pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:

Ackee apple,eaten it once b4

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by TheNiceGuy(m): 4:44pm On Apr 30, 2022
Rollinia
Kondolisticated:
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by SeriouslySense(m): 4:50pm On Apr 30, 2022
smiley smiley
Cuttycool:
What does it taste like?
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by SeriouslySense(m): 4:53pm On Apr 30, 2022
smiley smiley smiley smiley cheesy cheesy cheesy, thanks very explanative.
Kobojunkie:
it resembles the noni fruit which is a native of Australia, Asia and the Polynesian islands. The fruit is roughly the size of a mango and is normally eaten for its potential health benefits, rather than its taste.

Noni, otherwise known by many different names worldwide, including the great moringa, Indian mulberry, dog dumpling, and pace, is related to the coffee bean plant and is native throughout South East Asia and Australasia is cultivated throughout the tropics. The tree carries fruit throughout the year, and the fruit tends to have a very pungent odour when ripening (also known as the cheese fruit or vomit fruit). Despite the smell, the fruit is high in fibre, vitamin A, protein, iron, and calcium and is the staple diet on many Pacific Islands. The fruit can either be cooked into a stew or eaten raw with salt.

But please OP,what does the fruit taste of. And does a cross section of it look like. These can help better determine the proper name of the fruit. undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Catfish I Bought For #2500 / Man Who Went To Harvest Yam, Catches A Giant Squirrel In His Farm (Photos) / See The Food I Bought For N500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.