Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,837 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language - Food (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language (60960 Views)

What's The English Name Of This Fruit. / What Is This Fruit Called In English? / What Is Moi Moi In English? See Funny Replies From Nigeria Entertainners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by SeriouslySense(m): 4:54pm On Apr 30, 2022
Wow, insightful. smiley smiley
Kobojunkie:
While searching, I found the name for a popular fruit in Nigeria. Locally called Ube, is Safou. One of the most distinctive features about safou is the way that the fruit have a texture like butter when they are cooked. This texture is why the fruit is sometimes referred to as butterfruit.

Safou is an evergreen tree found in the humid tropical forests of Africa, as far south as Angola and as far north as Nigeria. The fruits are also known as African pears and are oblong dark blue to violet fruits up to 14cm in length, with pale green flesh inside. These fatty fruits have been said to have the ability to end starvation in Africa, as 48% of the fruit is made up of essential fatty acids, amino acids, Vitamins, and triglycerides. They have estimated that a one-hectare plantation would produce 7-8 tons of oil, and all parts of the plant can be used.
https://listverse.com/2011/07/08/top-20-fruits-you-probably-dont-know/

1 Like

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Blessed4sure: 4:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
Thank you so much

Been wracking my brain since.

I grew up in Ilesa, we called it Obesere.

Natajo2021:

This fruit is common in the rain forest of western Nigeria.
The Ijesa speaking people call it Obesere.
Also known in English as custard apple fruit.
The plant is sweet, I'm sure I had tasted it in growing up years

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Yusaywah(m): 4:57pm On Apr 30, 2022
waice6571:

This fruit @Ackee is called Ishin in Yoruba land. Remember a popular highbrow area in Ibadan.. Idi-Ishin. I have eaten times without number... The trickish part of it is real. There's an adage in Yoruba language; Eni ti o ba mo Ishin je, yio mo iku oju e yan. I.e... he who must eat an ackee must know how to remove the poison it is laiden with.
funny enough, Ackee's the national dish of Jamaica. Many Jamaicans know it originally comes from Africa but can't trace the origin of their beloved fruit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 5:00pm On Apr 30, 2022
Patrioticbreed9:

We never knew it worth back then... Em even till date undecided .
Other anoying looking fruit's sufferd the same fate too grin.
I know grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On Apr 30, 2022
waice6571:

This fruit @Ackee is called Ishin in Yoruba land. Remember a popular highbrow area in Ibadan.. Idi-Ishin. I have eaten times without number... The trickish part of it is real. There's an adage in Yoruba language; Eni ti o ba mo Ishin je, yio mo iku oju e yan. I.e... he who must eat an ackee must know how to remove the poison it is laiden with.
So it is known that it is deadly? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Oyinlomobambam(m): 5:09pm On Apr 30, 2022
Duguetia.. And it's common in some parts of America and some northern parts of Africa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 5:18pm On Apr 30, 2022
Danniedpastor:

Does it smell like grape wine?
Ofcourse not! undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Munzy14(m): 5:19pm On Apr 30, 2022
BanevsJoker:

Onye Owerri.
cheesy

I shi nnini.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by kingBlaq: 5:25pm On Apr 30, 2022
in pidgin english, its called SOUR CHOP (sawa chop/chawa chop)..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by emmykk(m): 5:29pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Is it related to rubber then? undecided

That is not rubber seed .it is usually found in thick forest
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 5:34pm On Apr 30, 2022
emmykk:
That is not rubber seed .it is usually found in thick forest
ok undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by adeniyi65(m): 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2022
Bomb shocked shocked
or probably yellow bomb grin grin grin
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by OdefaGirl(f): 5:39pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Pictures? undecided

Pictures of what exactly?
I'm describing the first fruit posted here.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 30, 2022
Oh my God. So ujuju is not that common in Nigeria. What we take for granted. We licked a lot of these growing up in the 80s and 90s. Our parents made yam source with the leaves but we licked the fruits. Quite delicious. Have not seen it in 25 years since I left home. God bless my home please.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by thesolutions(m): 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2022
Ikegwuru:
Oh my God. So ujuju is not that common in Nigeria. What we take for granted. We licked a lot of these growing up in the 80s and 90s. Our parents made yam source with the leaves but we licked the fruits. Quite delicious. Have not seen it in 25 years since I left home. God bless my home please.
Comerade, this fruit dates back two generations before indomie generation. you are a legend.
Kondolisticated:
Have you seen this fruit before, what's it called in English and your native language too.
We call it Uju those days. I believe it has gone extint by now like many other fruits I grow up knowing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by thesolutions(m): 5:46pm On Apr 30, 2022
kingBlaq:
in pidgin english, its called SOUR CHOP (sawa chop/chawa chop)..
you are wrong. that is not our sour sop

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by tonididdy(m): 5:51pm On Apr 30, 2022
This my first time seeing a fruit like this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 5:54pm On Apr 30, 2022
OdefaGirl:
Pictures of what exactly?
I'm describing the first fruit posted here.
Oh, I am looking for a picture of the inside of the fruit, the tree and maybe leaves too. undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 5:55pm On Apr 30, 2022
Ikegwuru:
It is not even common in the world outside of your areas there. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by kingBlaq: 5:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
thesolutions:
you are wrong. that is not our sour sop
sure? look at the pix @kobojunkie posted again, the green ones and where he cut it.. i think is just d way the OP took d picture, i could be wrong tho
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by thesolutions(m): 6:01pm On Apr 30, 2022
kingBlaq:
sure? look at the pix again, the green ones and where he cut it.. i think is just d way he took d picture, i could be wrong tho
not sour sop really.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by kingBlaq: 6:07pm On Apr 30, 2022
thesolutions:
not sour sop really.
OK
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by harmony75: 6:25pm On Apr 30, 2022
I don't know this fruit, it's not here in Nigeria but I will give it know name "Pineapple cousins" it just like pineapple!
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by jidxin(m): 6:30pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
While searching, I found the name for a popular fruit in Nigeria. Locally called Ube, is Safou. One of the most distinctive features about safou is the way that the fruit have a texture like butter when they are cooked. This texture is why the fruit is sometimes referred to as butterfruit.

Safou is an evergreen tree found in the humid tropical forests of Africa, as far south as Angola and as far north as Nigeria. The fruits are also known as African pears and are oblong dark blue to violet fruits up to 14cm in length, with pale green flesh inside. These fatty fruits have been said to have the ability to end starvation in Africa, as 48% of the fruit is made up of essential fatty acids, amino acids, Vitamins, and triglycerides. They have estimated that a one-hectare plantation would produce 7-8 tons of oil, and all parts of the plant can be used.
https://listverse.com/2011/07/08/top-20-fruits-you-probably-dont-know/

Why using safou.... Its also called safou in some African countries.. So. Its not the name
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by jidxin(m): 6:31pm On Apr 30, 2022
SeriouslySense:
Wow, insightful. smiley smiley
its not that insightful.... He's saying it as it safou is d real name
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by lascopes(m): 6:42pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:

How would I write that local name here for fruit sake?

Okay let me give it a trial.

úúbuū

grin grin cheesy cheesy if you laugh there, tinubu will win next election.

I tried not to laugh but fvck I am actually laughing now grin

1 Like

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Mariangeles(f): 6:47pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Much of your local fruits aren't native to Africa.

Many were brought over from other lands. undecided

Kobo, kuku say no fruit is native to Africa.

Don't believe everything you read.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 6:55pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mariangeles:
Kobo, kuku say no fruit is native to Africa.
Don't believe everything you read.
There are native fruits, many of which I in fact believe we problem leave to animals instead. undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
harmony75:
I don't know this fruit, it's not here in Nigeria but I will give it know name "Pineapple cousins" it just like pineapple!
The fruit happens to be right there in Eastern Nigeria. undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by foreveryoung1515(f): 7:07pm On Apr 30, 2022
Natajo2021:

This fruit is common in the rain forest of western Nigeria.
The Ijesa speaking people call it Obesere.
Also known in English as custard apple fruit.
The plant is sweet, I'm sure I had tasted it in growing up years
are you an ijesha? Ive only seen the fruit in ilesha.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by foreveryoung1515(f): 7:08pm On Apr 30, 2022
Blessed4sure:
Thank you so much

Been wracking my brain since.

I grew up in Ilesa, we called it Obesere.

same here

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Catfish I Bought For #2500 / Man Who Went To Harvest Yam, Catches A Giant Squirrel In His Farm (Photos) / See The Food I Bought For N500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.