Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,387 members, 7,954,564 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:24 PM

What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language (62333 Views)

What's The English Name Of This Fruit. / What Is This Fruit Called In English? / What Is Moi Moi In English? See Funny Replies From Nigeria Entertainners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Mariangeles(f): 7:18pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
There are native fruits, many of which I in fact believe we problem leave to animals instead. undecided

Now, you're exaggerating!
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mariangeles:
Now, you're exaggerating!
I am not. I remember seeing many fruits which I was told were for birds and other animals. Some looked tantalizing but I was warned that they were deadly and so dared not. undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Mariangeles(f): 7:21pm On Apr 30, 2022
This thread has really opened my eyes/mind to the fact that if we refuse to replant, we'll lose most of nature's gifts.
So many fruits/herbs will/are go/going extinct.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Mariangeles(f): 7:23pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I am not. I remember seeing many fruits which I was told were for birds and other animals. Some looked tantalizing but I was warned that they were deadly and so dared not. undecided

What if they were/are poison? undecided
There are some poisonous wild berries that look attractive, you know?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 7:24pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mariangeles:
What if they were/are poison? undecided
There are some poisonous wild berries that look attractive, you know?
I come here come see people dey eat some of the same wildberries... ofcourse I begin to question the claims since animals seemed to eat them back in the day without dropping dead. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Mariangeles(f): 7:26pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I come here come see people dey eat some of the same wildberries... ofcourse I begin to question the claims since animals seemed to eat them back in the day without dropping dead. undecided

Your digestive system and animals own na the same? cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mariangeles:
This thread has really opened my eyes/mind to the fact that if we refuse to plant, so many fruits/herbs will go extinct.
We will lose most of nature's gifts.
That and the fact that we have a lot that have maybe already been lost since we don't even know it existed to begin with.. undecided

I'd never seen this exotic looking fruit before this myself. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 7:28pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mariangeles:
Your digestive system and animals own na the same? cheesy
Na animals dem dey use test drugs for us naw undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by vertueptime: 7:33pm On Apr 30, 2022
Pineapples cousin

Iniobong34:
Pic
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Mariangeles(f): 7:35pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
That and the fact that we have a lot that have maybe already been lost since we don't even know it existed to begin with.. undecided

I'd never seen this exotic looking fruit before this myself. undecided

It's unfortunate, to tell you the truth.
Humanity is losing focus on what's important.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Mariangeles(f): 7:38pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Na animals dem dey use test drugs for us naw undecided

Nature and science no be the same.

Can your system digest palm fronds without it being upset?
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 7:40pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mariangeles:
Nature and science no be the same.

Can your system digest palm fronds without it being upset?
Our stomachs probably can digest it if preprocessed grin

I have had to have a serious change of mind as far as what is and what isn't edible. undecided

1 Like

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by fluffybaby(f): 7:48pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:
Have you seen this fruit before, what's it called in English and your native language too.

Duguetia aka Sugar apple in oyinbo.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 7:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
fluffybaby:
Duguetia aka Sugar apple in oyinbo.
I am afraid it isn't! undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Also found another fruit. Not sure what it is called in Nigeria though. The ackee is another member of the soapberry family, much like the longan and the lychee. It is a tricky fruit to eat, because if it is not eaten properly, the fruit can lead to vomiting, a coma or even death.

The only edible part of the fruit is the yellow flesh that surrounds the seeds. This part can also only be eaten when the fruit has turned red and split open. However, some who have tried the fruit do claim that it is worth the risk.

https://listverse.com/2011/07/08/top-20-fruits-you-probably-dont-know/
The fruit is much in Akungba Akoko

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kondolisticated: 8:03pm On Apr 30, 2022
Mamak1:
We call it uubu in my dialect and fresh leaves is edible just like oha leaves,it's a plant not fruit.
The fresh leaves is used in combination with ogbono to prepare ogbona soup but that fruit is not that sweet.The soup prepare from it's freshly leaves is Very delicious!!

Ezike Oba deeje
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by fluffybaby(f): 8:04pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I am afraid it isn't! undecided
Looks very much like it to me. Even google seems to give similar image . It surely looks like a specie of that family. West African version. But I can't say I am 100% certain
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kobojunkie: 8:07pm On Apr 30, 2022
fluffybaby:

Looks very much like it to me. Even google seems to give similar image . It surely looks like a specie of that family. West African version. But I can't say I am 100% certain
I know Google does but the images of the fruit provided by Google look nothing like the Op's picture. undecided
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by abilityC: 8:14pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Also found another fruit. Not sure what it is called in Nigeria though. The ackee is another member of the soapberry family, much like the longan and the lychee. It is a tricky fruit to eat, because if it is not eaten properly, the fruit can lead to vomiting, a coma or even death.

The only edible part of the fruit is the yellow flesh that surrounds the seeds. This part can also only be eaten when the fruit has turned red and split open. However, some who have tried the fruit do claim that it is worth the risk.

https://listverse.com/2011/07/08/top-20-fruits-you-probably-dont-know/
Lol na rough play be this o

1 Like

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by SeriouslySense(m): 8:14pm On Apr 30, 2022
smiley smiley then Its knowledgeable.

jidxin:
its not that insightful.... He's saying it as it safou is d real name
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by bigbabyboy: 8:23pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:
Have you seen this fruit before, what's it called in English and your native language too.

I have only seen and plucked this fruit from Senator Okunrinboye's house in Owo, Ondo State when I was in Primary School over 2 decades ago. You have to pluck out the seedfruits individually and suck a sweet nectar and a seed therein if I recollect correctly.

We didn't know what the name of the Fruit as a whole was back then but it was sharp sweet and a whole lot refreshing on the palate. I haven't seen it anywhere else since then.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by joyfullyjoyous(f): 8:25pm On Apr 30, 2022
Never seen it before
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by koolaid87: 8:29pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:

Funny enough, I slept off while writing the post. Woke up only to send the post, forgetting that I haven't added pictures.

Which breed you take?
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:

Ndi enugu-ezike n'akpo ya "ÚŪBū"

grin grin grin
I dikwa sure? Because o nwere onye choro I Nye onye obula ga enwe afa igbo ihe a na facebook Nnukwu ego
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Freelane33(m): 8:40pm On Apr 30, 2022
Agric -Soursop
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kondolisticated: 9:21pm On Apr 30, 2022
bigbabyboy:

I have only seen and plucked this fruit from Senator Okunrinboye's house in Owo, Ondo State when I was in Primary School over 2 decades ago. You have to pluck out the seedfruits individually and suck a sweet nectar and a seed therein if I recollect correctly.

We didn't know what the name of the Fruit as a whole was back then but it was sharp sweet and a whole lot refreshing on the palate. I haven't seen it anywhere else since then.

Ori e wa mbe
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Kondolisticated: 9:23pm On Apr 30, 2022
Brownygold002:
I dikwa sure? Because o nwere onye choro I Nye onye obula ga enwe afa igbo ihe a na facebook Nnukwu ego

O bu ihe ndi enugwu ezike n'akpo ya.

Ejikwa akwukwo ya esi ofe.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Nobody: 9:35pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:

Enywhere in igbo-eze north local government(enugu-ezike).

But I doubt if it's still common as it was then.
you can still get it in ezike.. Some ar sweet while some day giv beta slap if u test it. Make me remember dose days
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by eguarojeona: 9:36pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:
Pineapple lite
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by waice6571: 9:42pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
So it is known that it is deadly? undecided

Not like it is poisonous like you are taking cyanide or hypo solution but a particular soft gel like part at the tip of the fruit which you'll wipe out with your thumb while you enjoy your ackee without minding anything. Not something so serious but it is real.

This is just for knowledge sake and nothing more. I have eaten more than enough of it over the years and I was never poisoned by it. So, not so serious like it is dangerous to ones health.
Re: What's The Name Of This Fruit In English And Your Native Language by Nobody: 9:42pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kondolisticated:

O bu ihe ndi enugwu ezike n'akpo ya.

Ejikwa akwukwo ya esi ofe.
if u call it uubu, nt all ezike will read nd get what u mean fast.. They use to call it ububu. That the perfect way every body call it. Ar u frm ezike?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See The ₦450 Food I Bought In Plateau State / Peak Milk And Dano Milk Battle Each Other On Twitter. See What Happened / I Was Served Groundnuts, Garden Egg, Coke, Sweet At A Wedding Today Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.