Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,326 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu (1270 Views)

Daddy Freeze & Rev Fr Kelvin Ugwu Clash Over Easter Teaching / “Most ‘Miracles’ You See On TV Or Crusades Are Staged” – Fr. Kelvin Ugwu / Paying January Salary To Pastors By Fr Kelvin Ugwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by somehow: 12:47pm On Apr 30, 2022
derecho:
Breaking just one command equals breaking all

Is that difficult to understand? Or you just want to argue?

But is polygamy a sin in the first place?

To break a command, that command must be expressly stated to be a command.

In all the commands in the bible, no where was polygamy listed as a sin even in Galatians.

Lastly, on the issue of automatically breaking other commands immediately you break one, where does that leave even you?

I want to believe you know the difference between law and grace and what Jesus came to establish?
Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by derecho(m): 1:35pm On Apr 30, 2022
Understanding is key in whatever you do bro.
Grace is no permission to sin.
These topics are deeper than what the guy I answered understands.

Grace enables us to say NO to sin- Titus 2:11

Finally, the bolded isn't true.When you get saved, your understanding is different.The word of God, which is a light to our path, becomes clearer because the Holy Spirit in you teaches you.
If you start waiting for express command, you won't see beyond the letters.You won't see where "Yahoo" is written in the Bible.

somehow:

But is polygamy a sin in the first place?

To break a command, that command must be expressly stated to be a command.

In all the commands in the bible, no where was polygamy listed as a sin even in Galatians.

Lastly, on the issue of automatically breaking other commands immediately you break one, where does that leave even you?

I want to believe you know the difference between law and grace and what Jesus came to establish?
Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by Kobojunkie: 1:44pm On Apr 30, 2022
somehow:

God's Law is "All-or-nothing".

▪︎ When you commit one sin, you are condemned to the same fate as one who committed all the sins in the same Law. There are no in-betweens. undecided

▪︎ To be justified by the Law, you must obey all the commandments in the Law. undecided

This is what I believe James alluded to in his letter. undecided

Grace(Eternal life) does not keep anyone from breaking God's Law. Jesus Christ instead said those who make the choice/decision to continuously submit to and obey His teachings(commandments) are those who belong to Him, those who love Him - John 14 vs 15 - 25 & John 15 vs 1 - 14 undecided
Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by somehow: 2:03pm On Apr 30, 2022
derecho:
Understanding is key in whatever you do bro.
Grace is no permission to sin.
These topics are deeper than what the guy I answered understands.

Grace enables us to say NO to sin- Titus 2:11

Finally, the bolded isn't true.When you get saved, your understanding is different.The word of God, which is a light to our path, becomes clearer because the Holy Spirit in you teaches you.
If you start waiting for express command, you won't see beyond the letters.You won't see where "Yahoo" is written in the Bible.

You didn't answer me.

Yahoo is linked to stealing, fraud and covetousness.
There are examples of those who did something similar to yahoo in the bible and their punishment was also recorded.

IS Polygamy a sin or what sin is it linked to?
Who was punished for being a polygamist in the bible.

Lets concentrate on this and leave out time wasting.
Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by somehow: 2:05pm On Apr 30, 2022
Kobojunkie:
God's Law is "All-or-nothing".

▪︎ When you commit one sin, you are condemned to the same fate as one who committed all the sins in the same Law. There are no in-betweens. undecided

▪︎ To be justified by the Law, you must obey all the commandments in the Law. undecided

This is what I believe James alluded to in his letter. undecided

Grace(Eternal life) does not keep anyone from breaking God's Law. Jesus Christ instead said those who make the choice/decision to continuously submit to and obey His teachings(commandments) are those who belong to Him, those who love Him - John 14 vs 15 - 25 & John 15 vs 1 - 14 undecided

Even for those who follow the law (The Jews), polygamy is never a sin in their Torah.

For Christians following Grace, polygamy was also never listed as a sin. The highest is that you can't become a leader in the church according to Paul who was only sharing his opinion.
Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by Kobojunkie: 2:10pm On Apr 30, 2022
somehow:

For Christians following Grace, polygamy was also never listed as a sin. The highest is that you can't become a leader in the church according to Paul who was only sharing his opinion.
Jesus Christ is God's New Covenant Truth and Law in the Kingdom of God. He called us to obedience of the Law which He gave to us, the same one called the Gospel.

Eternal life( grace) is only one of the promises of the God's New Covenant Law, Jesus Christ aka the Gospel. undecided
Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by derecho(m): 2:24pm On Apr 30, 2022
You won't be able to understand that it is either.

You are the one linking Yahoo to stealing.
But can you state an express command against it?
That'd be too subjective and I don't do that when I'm discussing bible.

When I say you need understanding, I know what I meant.

If you read in between the line, you'll see the answer.

He who made them in the beginning, made them MALE And FEMALE.

In the new testament, it is husband love your wife.
All this insinuations have no biblical basis.

Marriage started simply because God realized it is not good for man to be alone. God could have made more than one woman as wives for Adam but did He?

There's God's standard and man has his desires.When man goes to satisfy his fleshly desires(lusts) against God's standard, it is SIN.

You can decide to stay unmarried if you can BUT you can't be polygamous as a Christian. Except you can provide
a bible verse stating otherwise.

People restricting monogamy to Bishops and Deacons don't understand the Bible. God's standard for every believer is Himself and every believer is a Priest unto God.

As Bishop is expected to be an ambassador, every believer is expected to be too

No serious minded believer sees this as a topic. All this comes up when the flesh is leading.

Christians are not led by the flesh.
As many that are led by the Spirit, they are the sons of God.

I don't need to define sin to you if you are a child of God.

The issue of punishment will lead us to another topic.
Because, if you read your Bible, you would have read "that some men's sins aren't judged immediately". 1 Timothy 5:24

Lest I forget, why do you need to be polygamous as a Christian?

somehow:

You didn't answer me.

Yahoo is linked to stealing, fraud and covetousness.
There are examples of those who did something similar to yahoo in the bible and their punishment was also recorded.

IS Polygamy a sin or what sin is it linked to?
Who was punished for being a polygamist in the bible.

Lets concentrate on this and leave out time wasting.
Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by somehow: 5:20pm On Apr 30, 2022
derecho:
You won't be able to understand that it is either.

You are the one linking Yahoo to stealing.
But can you state an express command against it?
That'd be too subjective and I don't do that when I'm discussing bible.

When I say you need understanding, I know what I meant.

If you read in between the line, you'll see the answer.

He who made them in the beginning, made them MALE And FEMALE.

In the new testament, it is husband love your wife.
All this insinuations have no biblical basis.

Marriage started simply because God realized it is not good for man to be alone. God could have made more than one woman as wives for Adam but did He?

There's God's standard and man has his desires.When man goes to satisfy his fleshly desires(lusts) against God's standard, it is SIN.

You can decide to stay unmarried if you can BUT you can't be polygamous as a Christian. Except you can provide
a bible verse stating otherwise.

People restricting monogamy to Bishops and Deacons don't understand the Bible. God's standard for every believer is Himself and every believer is a Priest unto God.

As Bishop is expected to be an ambassador, every believer is expected to be too

No serious minded believer sees this as a topic. All this comes up when the flesh is leading.

Christians are not led by the flesh.
As many that are led by the Spirit, they are the sons of God.

I don't need to define sin to you if you are a child of God.

The issue of punishment will lead us to another topic.
Because, if you read your Bible, you would have read "that some men's sins aren't judged immediately". 1 Timothy 5:24

Lest I forget, why do you need to be polygamous as a Christian?

So you're assuming or concluding what I should understand and not?

I'm not the one linking yahoo to stealing, it's English and the law.

Fraud is a kind of stealing, and yahoo is fraud. I believe I'm not talking to someone who just wants to argue?

People committed similar things to yahoo in the bible and got punished, same can't be said of Polygamy. Your explanations are simply from your own head without any evidence from the Bible.

Everything else you wrote are just your opinion since you can't even give a simple answer nor quote anywhere in the bible where anyone was punished for polygamy nor even rebuked due to polygamy. (Both in old and new).

In view of you arguing without biblical evidence linking polygamy to sin, I take my leave.
Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by derecho(m): 5:56pm On Apr 30, 2022
It's difficult reading you.
I thought you could appreciate issues but I was wrong.
How can I explain to you when you clearly don't understand that not all wrongs were punished in the Bible?

You couldn't also glean by yourself that God's plan for marriage is originally ONE MAN , ONE WOMAN. What do you want to understand?
If you can't understand the simple things I wrote before, then you won't be able to understand more.

I don't argue.
I only asked that you provide a Bible verse where God changed the standard of ONE MAN ,ONE WOMAN you are busy raising something else.

If you want to discuss Bible, quote scriptures abeg

somehow =112405367:

So you're assuming or concluding what I should understand and not?

I'm not the one linking yahoo to stealing, it's English and the law.

Fraud is a kind of stealing, and yahoo is fraud. I believe I'm not talking to someone who just wants to argue?

People committed similar things to yahoo in the bible and got punished, same can't be said of Polygamy. Your explanations are simply from your own head without any evidence from the Bible.

Everything else you wrote are just your opinion since you can't even give a simple answer nor quote anywhere in the bible where anyone was punished for polygamy nor even rebuked due to polygamy. (Both in old and new).

In view of you arguing without biblical evidence linking polygamy to sin, I take my leave.

Re: Understanding The Scriptural Teaching On Polygamy ...fr. Kelvin Ugwu by yeshuasfootstep(m): 11:27am On May 01, 2022
Dear Oga Kelvin Ugwu, permit me to use Oga because of the warning in the bible that we only have one father and should not call another our father.
We are all brothers no matter what ( Matthew 23 :9).

Peter and most of the apostles are 'wannabees' according to you but you cannot equal their understanding of the bible.

They are unlettered and ordinary according to the scriptures, yet Yeshua used them. It doesn't mean that people like you that go to theology school are not around that time.

It is to show you that God can choose to reveal his truth to even kids and hide it from the proud and arrogant.

Theology school is aimed at intimidating others and controlling them using God's name and you proved to be a good student.

The first thing is to put fear of death or hell fire in them and that is why you came up with all the 10 offences punishable with death but you succeeded in making us know how strongly God opposes sex with anything other than your married wife.

Sex is equal to marriage in God's eyes. Once you have sex with a person not your wife, you have fallen short and to make amends, you must marry the person, even if the parents disagree, you must pay virgin dowry to be free.

All of these is in the bible and I discussed it in my post of recent, check it for the quotations. Let us teach people well so that they see the danger of touching any person they are not married to not to talk of going close to a married person. All these immoralities will not be as rampant as it is today.

This is what is on the ground and not bringing up cases of death sentences, which you knows quite well that Yeshua our redeemer has taken care of, that even if we fall into such, all we need to do is repent, confess to God, turn around and try not to go back to our former ways. We know better now, so the death threats can only work on psyche of those who depend on others to study their bible.

Moreover, I did not see where polygamy is among the offenses punishable by death so there is no need for that.

The issue of slavery you brought up was also uncalled for and unrelated because everyone knows slavery is bad and it is circumstances that push people into slavery.

The Israelites even tasted it. You theologians are even the ones being accused of helping the slave master by hiding some portions that are unfavourable to them while hammering on 'slaves obey your masters'.

The issue of people marrying their relatives is also cultural. If their culture permits it and God is not against it, will I be so foolish to leave my own culture that God did not disprove either? So this one also did not work Sir.

It is very clear that God did not forbid polygamy so it is unwise for us to be creating sexual chaos in the world by playing God. Check my article on polygamy to gain more insight.

Where the trending young man that married second wife got it wrong is that he cheated on the wife before converting it to polygamy, this he has to confess to God and possibly the wife and seek forgiveness. He can even extend it to other people if he is honest and want people to see him as such, especially if he wants to serve the people.
But he did what God required of him by making another woman he slept with his wife. For God, it is touch and marry. No two ways about it.

Let me also take you to 1 Timothy 3 :12, maybe 13 also where Paul was hammering on overseers being husbands of one wife without mentioning other extra fine qualities which made you conclude that Paul was talking of it as a christian quality.

No, it is so that they preside in a fine manner and with great freeness of speech as verse 13 clarified. And it means there are polygamists also among the early Christians.

So, Paul out of zealousness and his desire that nothing disturbs the preaching of the good news placed embargo on brothers reaching out to oversee others marrying more than one wife. Remember that he is lettered and not a 'wannabee'. He can pass for today's theologians like you .

I don't think he is also married, remember. Should this also be one of the Christian qualities? Celibacy?
No. Just zeal for God's work.

My Oga Kelvin, I am not quite sure, but it seems I see somewhere 'Nonsense' was mentioned in your write up. Please let's agree to disagree amicably with facts and figures only, after all these Cows we are herding belongs to only one Alhaji.

We are one. Polygamy should be encouraged to end today's pandemic of sexual immorality, it is not and will never be a sin. People should be thought how to practice it responsibly instead of demonizing it as Satan wants so that homosexuality, bestiality, lesbianism, prostitution, adultery, fornication and so on will be thriving hypocritically underground.

Check my write up on that if you need more clarifications. I rest my case for now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kanye West Goes Into Adult Entertainment After Leaving Faith / Christian Marriages And Toys / Please Dont Watch Bad Romance By Lady Gaga At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.