Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,996 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Ask Graduates On Nairaland - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Ask Graduates On Nairaland (27232 Views)

Massive Recruitment Of Graduates On The Island In Lagos By Phillips Outsourcing / KPMG Discriminates Against Polytechnic Graduates On Recruitment / FIRS To Recruit 7,500 Graduates And 5,000 Non-Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by emmy512: 8:50pm On May 01, 2022
Dontleaveme:

People are fond of just making this statement. Is the skill free or you need money to acquire it?
you pay with time, skills are free. Youtube is their.
Cisco academy it courses are free. You just need to find them.
The only time u pay for skill is when you confident enough that its for you and from the free courses you believe you are good and need to up ur game.
Everything i know i learnt on youtube and i have a lot of skills.
I paid for only 3 things and that was cos of certifications.
You say its not free cos u probably encountered fellow nigerians that are always ready to eat any money.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by fabadec: 9:02pm On May 01, 2022
Dontleaveme:

What skill is that? Can you share?
Digital Marketing
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by emmy512: 9:04pm On May 01, 2022
meetme01:
Learn a Skill
Be Smart
Believe in yourself (One man Mopol)
Learn how to drive
Know something about everything
Always be positive
Read..Read..Read everything you find worthy
Always try your luck in everything worthwhile ( scholarships, grants, etc)
Lastly, don't be greedy else, you will loose everything.
Finally, there is grace and there is God factor. Ensure you pray.
i fall in the category of knowing something about everything.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by jesmond3945: 9:11pm On May 01, 2022
efficiencie:
If you get the mind go into tech. All the years you spent doing overnight studying nonsense in school would have paid off if you studied for tech roles. Books on tech are available for free online. There are open source/free technologies that you can learn in web development, machine learning, database design and querying, data engineering, data analysis/visualization etc. Plus you can get a remote US, Canada etc jobs that can pay you well. Check out www.turing.com, https://weworkremotely.com/ and https://vanhack.com/ to access remote jobs when you are ready.

Schooling has evolved. Don't go and spend years studying nonsense and expect to land a job quickly. Spend time developing skills that will turn you into a problem solver for both domestic and international employers.

Nobody will pay you to come sit down and look. You need to able to fix problems that earn employers money or help them deliver great products or services ...otherwise you go tey for house!
vanhack has over 400k coders chasing few jobs. What is the trick to land a job there?
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by dfrost: 9:22pm On May 01, 2022
Kwara1stson:
probably 20k to buy data and some paid courses on udemy

I like your guts. Cool. If gifted the funds, you'll have to show proof of the paid courses bought, right?
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by DHaran: 9:26pm On May 01, 2022
most of u saying there is no jobs in nigeria let me put this to your notice there is jobs!! it depends on what you study!
study courses that you can use and get job easily... i am an undergraduate i am meant to understand that it is either due to bad grades,lack of basic skill in your course of study that is what is making graduate incompetence in the job market

1 Like

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by STEWpid(f): 9:27pm On May 01, 2022
Sixfiguresmart:
I consent that you make so.e solid arguments. However, English isn't just a language, it is a career. It is a course studied for 4 good years

Do you get the point here? People take speaking English language to be smart and intelligent.

We can learn foreign language to improve trade, translation and the like..but in the case of English, we see it as a thing of enlightenment.

How many people studied English Language and actually understand it? I've seen many of those who never studied it as a course but are much more better in it than those who did.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by DHaran: 9:36pm On May 01, 2022
sometimes it is ignorance! i searched for jobs info in the websides(indeed,linkin, & all jobs info)... emaging a civil/mech engineering student is not skilled with engineering softwares after sch no company will look yourside.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by DonEvarest(m): 9:59pm On May 01, 2022
na2016:

I didn't want to sound as if I was exaggerating. I learnt anything I have known in coding through youtube and then went to other sites
does one need to have any tech related knowledge before venturing into learning this for better understanding? Or can a complete novice learn and understand it totally on YouTube?
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by yungjay27(m): 10:18pm On May 01, 2022
silverlinen:
Damnnn
Being a graduate in Nigeria is hell
Graduated bout 4 years ago, finished my service bout 2 years but still no work.
On God, if no be bombing, man pikin for don get the highest level of see finish.
But Nigeria is a liar...steady bombing and employing different format don give me better cred.
Present undergraduate!! Make una go get handiwork oo....or better still make una dey bomb steady.
Cos this corntree Nigeria na scam oo.

Wich wok and update u dy run boss Mk we relate
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Deasegun19(m): 10:25pm On May 01, 2022
farm for yourself and your immediate community...
all other thing na wash
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by ShitStain(m): 10:37pm On May 01, 2022
Psiyohos:
Hmm.

Where do I begin.

Overpopulation is Nigeria's problem
Okay.
I finished service in 2016, did N power 2 years now work in a big company in Lagos.

What have I learnt and how can it help you.

I wish I served Jos or Nassarawa
I hate it here in Lagos and wish to The heavens that I can see a job that is teaching job in a Village in the North where I can sleep and live a peaceful life.

As a graduate use your service year to read and re-read Walden by Henry David Thoreau.

Go to YouTube and Check Happen Films.

With Peak oil and economic collapse upon us you are better off in a farm.

Save your allawee use it to buy 2 plot of land and start permaculture farming while you subsist with teaching.
Give birth to only one child and send him to public school.
Manage your resources and learn to live a minimalist life

The rest of the world are chasing shadows.

All these skills are lies
Supply is already more than demand.

That my friends is the gospel truth.

Indeed
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by efficiencie(m): 11:56pm On May 01, 2022
jesmond3945:
vanhack has over 400k coders chasing few jobs. What is the trick to land a job there?

Vanhack isn't the only one. Have you checked the other two? Particularly weworkremotely?
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by HellVictorinho4(m): 1:19am On May 02, 2022
11thGoldTREE:
Lets ask graduates on Nairaland. Why? Because they are the true eyes of the Nigerian reality when it comes to employment.
The aim of this thread is to vent or explain what you are currently facing as a Nigerian graduate.

Also the purpose of this thread is to let those who are currently undergraduates or serving under NYSC to understand the absolute reality in the Labor market and how challenging survival is.

Ask Graduates On Nairaland

Whatever
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Fireson: 2:51am On May 02, 2022
DHaran:
most of u saying there is no jobs in nigeria let me put this to your notice there is jobs!! it depends on what you study!
study courses that you can use and get job easily... i am an undergraduate i am meant to understand that it is either due to bad grades,lack of basic skill in your course of study making them incompetence

WITH THIS GRAMMAR OF YOURS, IT'S OBVIOUS YOU ARE COMPETENCE ( SIC) grin
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Brarrie: 2:55am On May 02, 2022
kdfinest:

that motivational talk don tire me. one needs funds too, maybe they forget about that, because honestly if I can get funds and very good PC, the sky will be my starting point.
like how much to start with,what kinda skill ?
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by na2016: 3:06am On May 02, 2022
DonEvarest:
does one need to have any tech related knowledge before venturing into learning this for better understanding? Or can a complete novice learn and understand it totally on YouTube?

No! You need just patience, data, laptop and ability to comprehend (maybe comprehend fast).
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Lekan239(m): 4:34am On May 02, 2022
OnalowKey:
No hope for a graduate without connection and that's fact.
Graduated in civil engineering as top 2 best student since 2016 but no job.
The painful part of it is that the numskull are the once getting the job because the government favors tribalism rather than competence.
The other day, a Fulani guy called and was requesting my assistance to help him write job application letter which i did. And right now he is working with a federal agency. ( no vacancy or advert but presented with an appointment letter )
Again another one was called from Benin kebbi to sokoto for documentation and now he is working with federal Road Agency .( no vacancy or advert but presented with an appointment letter )... Someone that can't even write down a complete sentence lol. I was having a chat with him and was telling me that he will keep praying for me to secure a job lol...i almost insulted him but kept my cool lol, like it was prayer that got him the job.
Forget Nigeria, the system is so messed up and corrupt. My advice to graduate is to keep pushing until you find a way and leave this Evil country called Nigeria.
pls stop ranting, it is well known that Southern Nigeria is more competitive than northern Nigeria. Are you expecting birnin kebbi state to give you a state job and leave his people, the state should be employing people from Lagos and Anambra because his people are not sound right?

How many Northerner do you see having federal jobs here in the South? So all the federal jobs in Sokoto and Katsina state should be given to Ibadan and imo resident because Fulani are not well educated like the southerners.

Haven't you heard of quota system before? In the South a lot of people is fighting for few federal government and state jobs, while in the north it is not that competitive like the South.

Sane way in the South, there are also lot of graduate who can't complete a sentence.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Stephen0mozzy: 5:00am On May 02, 2022
Aplaudez:

Majorly Graphics designing sir.

Boss graphics design is sha more of an art than it is an area of specialization in Computer Science
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Sixfiguresmart(m): 5:48am On May 02, 2022
STEWpid:

Do you get the point here? People take speaking English language to be smart and intelligent.
I got your point and I understand your angle of reasoning. I am simply saying that your blanket statement edges out the actual point that you are trying to make. If you acknowledge that it takes a smart individual to learn a language and speak it proficiently, then introduce your angle of thought, you would make a better case.
STEWpid:

We can learn foreign language to improve trade, translation and the like..but in the case of English, we see it as a thing of enlightenment.
This is why I referred you to the fact that it is a career. And, a career stems from enlightenment. I believe that carpenters, mechanics, vulcanisers, and even tomato traders are smart. Do not let a generic view on an issue create a negative feel in your heart toward something good.
When you leave the Nigerian environment, you can better appreciate English speakers. My point is that, your negative feel has spread out and covered even the people who build their careers on English.
STEWpid:

How many people studied English Language and actually understand it? I've seen many of those who never studied it as a course but are much more better in it than those who did.
Well, I had my early years in the UK, so my English comes from native speaking and, with an accent even till this day. I studied in BC. What's more? I have only lived a cumulative 13 years of my life in 9ja. Nevertheless, I know of an old friend called Ngozi who studied English in UNN. She speaks better English than I do. She does not talk faster, or have the accent but she commands English and UTTERS more advanced words that exist in my head only. Ngozi taught me the art of public speaking and speech writing. Ngozi opened my eyes to privileges that the English language offers. Because of Ngozi, I paid attention to understanding what I actually voice out.

Ngozi was born and raised in Enugu. She had never stepped a foot out of her state until NYSC, and today she works in the British Consulate in Nigeria.

Let Ngozi change your thought. Let Ngozi inspire you the way she did me.

Fewer times, those who speak English with an attitude and make a noise about it cannot distinguish between an adverb and an adjective. Nevertheless, giving them credit will not hurt anyone. You take the time to be better in whatever skill that you posses.

I speak English fluently but I can't make my outfit. I am outsmarted in that regard. I can't fix my car. I stand by and watch a tiny little man do it. He edges me out in that space.

I give them credit. I admit, IN THAT SPACE OF KNOWLEDGE, I am incapacitated by a smarter man. That's humility, I guess.
Cheer up!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by XploraBen(m): 5:54am On May 02, 2022
Angelfrost:
I'm doing very well as an employee and as a freelance writer...

However, I always wish I had learnt soft skills while in school, and started hustling then.

No regrets Sha... Still, I will counsel every undergraduate not to waste his youth trying solely to get a degree or degrees! The jobs are quite few and seriously in competition!

Thank God for the internet, you can start off your career online!
I'm also a freelance writer.

If I may ask... Where or how do you get good-paying writing gigs?

I'm in need of good-paying writing gigs.
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Milesbillions(m): 7:14am On May 02, 2022
To be a graduate in Nigeria is not getting easy again. I just completed NYSC this year. Still searching for work. Have written alot of application, have gotten interview invitation and at the end, nothing. I just discovered that sometimes, employers of labour don't like hiring individuals with only nysc experience for some Jobs and we all know that majority of the experience we had wen we are serving are in schools.

Right now as a graduate, one kobo no dey my acct, just daily living, maybe running one errand for a brother na how I dey chop. I took a paid google analytics course on Udemy. The course was very good but no laptop to practice. I have gotten alot of assessment to write using a laptop for the position of a graduate trainee but no laptop and no cafe can give me such opportunity to use their computer to write these tests.

I'm somebody that is versatile but sometimes environment matters....if u are staying in a rural area as a graduate, u will understand.

My main problem is atleast getting a small laptop that I will use to practice what I learnt because I love digital marketing, reason I took analytics course. Also, all these assessment too are been hindered because of no laptop.

If you are a young graduate like me btw the age of 24 and 27, our best bet is trainee positions and sometimes internship with an NGOs. As far as you graduated with first class or 2:1, it does not require area of study..... graduate Trainee is our best bet.

With your 2:1, if u have funds too, japa..

1 Like

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Angelfrost(m): 7:19am On May 02, 2022
XploraBen:

Fiverr and Upwork! Mostly Upwork!

I have also gotten great ones on Indeed!
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by jesmond3945: 7:41am On May 02, 2022
efficiencie:

Vanhack isn't the only one. Have you checked the other two? Particularly weworkremotely?
the jobs there are not up to 10k
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Richdee1(m): 8:43am On May 02, 2022
BigDawsNet:

Where did you cee UK scholarship?
Maybe u should read carefully

I said scholarship in America

Does UK and US have scholarship for social workers Msc?
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by XploraBen(m): 8:52am On May 02, 2022
Angelfrost:

Fiverr and Upwork! Mostly Upwork!

I have also gotten great ones on Indeed!
I've not landed a single job on both Fiverr and Upwork.

As for Indeed, maybe I'll starting searching there as well.

Can I PM you?
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by BigDawsNet: 9:01am On May 02, 2022
Richdee1:

Does UK and US have scholarship for social workers Msc?

Can't say for UK
But you can get series of scholarships in the US
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Richdee1(m): 10:03am On May 02, 2022
BigDawsNet:

Can't say for UK
But you can get series of scholarships in the US

GRE or IELTS is needed?
If eventually one get the scholarship and move, what pathway can one use to legalize stay, like UK, you get a sponsored job and can file for citizenship after 4 years or so

Any route like such in the US
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by BigDawsNet: 10:56am On May 02, 2022
Richdee1:

GRE or IELTS is needed?
If eventually one get the scholarship and move, what pathway can one use to legalize stay, like UK, you get a sponsored job and can file for citizenship after 4 years or so

Any route like such in the US

GRE, GMAT for US scholarship

Same process everywhere... after your graduation in the States.. you are required to return back to home country... but you can search for a job that can offer sponsorship if you wanna stay..
If you lucky to get a company... they will file for your work permit and you will qualify for a residence permits in few year...

Another pathway is to marry a US citizen or legal residence... if you lucky to find your soul mate... marry straight up and you get a green card sponsorship in few month after marriage

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:23am On May 02, 2022
XploraBen:

How much do you earn per word now?
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by XploraBen(m): 11:45am On May 02, 2022
nenyewrites:

How much do you earn per word now?
Just #2.50 per word. sad
Re: Ask Graduates On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:57am On May 02, 2022
XploraBen:

Just #2.50 per word. sad

Can you write technically articles very well? If yes, send a DM. I'll pay 4 naira per word. 3 naira for non technical.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ecobank Recruitment Very Urgent / Icpc Is Recruiting Graduates / Things You Should Remove From Your Resume Immediately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.