Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:47 PM

Is There Really Omnipotent? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is There Really Omnipotent? (1472 Views)

"Are There Really Difficult Girls, Or just 'gameless' Guys"? / Is There Really Any Point Or Gain In Being A Good Girl? / Is There Really Hope For The Coming Generation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Really Omnipotent? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 30, 2022
I once saw it somewhere -paradox of some sort. Omnipotent means all powerful.
Can an omnipotent being - all powerful, make a box that he cant lift?

YES? If he can't lift a box he create, that means he's not omnipotent.

NO? If he cannot create a box he cant lift, that also means hes not omnipotent, because there's still something he can't do.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Orgasmgiver123(m): 10:09pm On Apr 30, 2022
One of the reason why i kick people with my rain boot

Damn... nasty... I’m out of here

1 Like

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by odinson1(m): 10:10pm On Apr 30, 2022
I guess logic is religion's Kryptonitecheesy
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 3:30am On May 05, 2022
MaDaRa01:
[s]Can an omnipotent being - all powerful, make a box that he cant lift?

NO? If he cannot create a box he cant lift, that also means hes not omnipotent, because there's still something he can't do
.[/s]
God's Power exists OVER all of His creation .I.e. His power and sovereignty rules over each and every one of His creation. That is what it means to say God is omnipotent or Almighty. undecided

So, God as an omnipotent being cannot create a being more powerful than He neither can He be overcome by His own creation. undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Melovar: 3:47am On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
God's Power exists OVER all of His creation .I.e. His power and sovereignty rules over each and every one of His creation. That is what it means to say God is omnipotent or Almighty. undecided

So, God as an omnipotent being cannot create a being more powerful than He neither can He be overcome by His own creation. undecided
so you admit there is something God cannot do?
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 4:31am On May 05, 2022
Melovar:
so you admit there is something God cannot do?
What do you mean by that? There are lots that God cannot do. God cannot, for instance, tell a lie. He also cannot contradict Himself. .... undecided

4 Likes

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 9:41am On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
What do you mean by that? There are lots that God cannot do. God cannot, for instance, tell a lie. He also cannot contradict Himself. .... undecided

Going by this, that means God isn't omnipotent then. Seeing as there are some things he cannot do
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 9:46am On May 05, 2022
MaDaRa01:

NO? If he cannot create a box he cant lift, that also means hes not omnipotent, because there's still something he can't do.

Yea I've researched on this too, it's called the omnipotent paradox.

If God creates the stone and can't lift it, it means there's something he can't do which is lifting that stone, and if cant create a stone that he cant lift, it also means there's something he can't do which is "creating a stone he cant lift:
It's a paradox so dont expect any clear answers on it.
Personall I feel it shows there's no such thing as an omnipotent being

1 Like

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 1:20pm On May 05, 2022
suicidesheep:
Going by this, that means God isn't omnipotent then. Seeing as there are some things he cannot do
Not really! It means that the understanding men who wrote of His omnipotence had is different from the understanding you lot have and use of the word. God is Omnipotence, as used in scripture, boils down to sovereignty/control over His creation. undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 2:21pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Not really! It means that the understanding men who wrote of His omnipotence had is different from the understanding you lot have and use of the word. God is Omnipotence, as used in scripture, boils down to sovereignty/control over His creation. undecided

Omnipotence has one meaning: able to do any and all things. God doesn't has his own special form of omnipotence, if not then you're saying he's nigh-omnipotent

1 Like

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 2:24pm On May 05, 2022
suicidesheep:
Omnipotence has one meaning: able to do any and all things. God doesn't has his own special form of omnipotence, if not then you're saying he's nigh-omnipotent
Able to do any and all things within the context of His Law to men. undecided

God is able to do all things but He cannot lie, for example. lipsrsealed
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 2:49pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:

if the context of his law are the limit, then there are limits to his omnipotence.

Maybe its time you use a different word instead of omnipotence like pseudo-omnipotence
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 3:03pm On May 05, 2022
Sisora:
if the context of his law are the limit, then there are limits to his omnipotence.

Maybe its time you use a different word instead of omnipotence like pseudo-omnipotence
Yes, those limits are as defined by Him. Our very understanding of who God is is as defined by His Laws and it is from those laws we gather that He is all powerful within the limits defined by Him in His Law/agreement with us. undecided

You decide then. Omnipotence in the Bible context means omnipotence as defined by God Himself. undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by MAGG0T(m): 3:13pm On May 05, 2022
[s]
MaDaRa01:

[/s]
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 3:15pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:

Then he isn't omnipotent as there as so many things he can't do.
Lets not deviate from what OP said.

The paradox "can an omnipotent being create a rock it cannot create". In this case the omnipotent being is God
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 3:17pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Yes, those limits are as defined by Him. Our very understanding of who God is is as defined by His Laws and it is from those laws we gather that He is all powerful within the limits defined by Him in His Law/agreement with us. undecided

You decide then. Omnipotence in the Bible context means omnipotence as defined by God Himself. undecided

I dont know what information you're trying to pass on here. Can you clarify
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On May 05, 2022
suicidesheep:
Ok. undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On May 05, 2022
suicidesheep:
I dont know what information you're trying to pass on here. Can you clarify
His Omnipotence is as defined by God, not men. undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 7:16pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:

you keep making too many incoherent mistakes. undecided

First off, our understanding and the meaning of the word 'omnipotence' is not defined by God or by his laws.

Omnipotence is concept proposed by the human mind and in the context of the language it means absolute power.

When God says to a human that he is omnipotent, he does not need to say "oh but my omnipotence is within these limits" once there's a boundary then it's no longer omnipotence in the true sense of the word.

Secondly, omnipotence is not defined Biblically. It is a word in human language that describes a concept. Much the same as omnipresence which is ever present.

The concept of omnipotence can be renamed again and again but it is still the same concept which means 'all powerful'. So if you say he's omnipotent, you don't need to put it in the context of the Bible. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 7:32pm On May 05, 2022
Sisora:
you keep making too many incoherent mistakes.

1. First off, our understanding and the meaning of the world omnipotence is not defined by God or by his laws. Omnipotence is human and in the context of the language it means absolute power.

2. When God says to a human that he is omnipotent, he does not need to say "oh but my omnipotence is within these limits" once there's a boundary then it's no longer omnipotence in the true sense of the word.

3. Secondly, omnipotence is not defined Biblically. It is a word in human language that describes a concept. Much the same as omnipresence which is ever present.

4. The concept of omnipotence can be renamed again and again but it is still the same concept which means 'all powerful'. So if you say he's omnipotent, you don't need to put it in the context of the Bible.
1. Wrong! The understanding drawn from scriptural context is not as defined by men. undecided

Pay attention! The OP asked if God is omnipotent or not, hence the reason why we consider that which was in fact declared by God in this. undecided

2. Actually, God defined His own omnipotence with limits... this is what He told humans. undecided

3. Omnipotence is a word that is typically directly related in ways to the word "Almighty" used in reference to God, in scripture. undecided

4. No matter how many times you rename or change it, so long as attempts are at using it in reference to God, it would be folly to ignore God's definition of His Almightiness, why? Because the knowledge we have of Him is that He has defined for us within the context of His Laws to us. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Wrong! The understanding drawn drawn scriptural context is not as defined by men. Pay attention! The OP asked if God is omnipotent or not, hence the reason why we consider that which was in fact declared by God in this. undecided

2. Actually, God defined His own omnipotence with limits... this is what He told humans. undecided

3. Omnipotence is a word that is typically directly related in ways to the word "Almighty" used used reference to God in scripture. undecided

4. No matter how many times you renamed or change it, so long as attempts are at using it in reference to God, it would be folly to ignore God's definition of His Almightiness, why? Because the knowledge we have of Him is that He has defined for us within the context of His Laws to us. undecided
sir, are you a bible scholar? Because there are many things in the bible that are simply unclear. Take for instance the old and new testaments contradict each other sometimes...
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On May 05, 2022
MaDaRa01:

sir, are you a bible scholar? Because there are many things in the bible that are simply unclear. Take for instance the old and new testaments contradict each other sometimes...
I am not a Bible scholar. I am simply someone who happens to process the information presented in scripture as it is written. Additionally, I ama follower of Jesus Christ as in I trust and Obey Him since He is God's Law to us. undecided

Indeed there are some contradictions since the book was, after all, written by humans over different peoples and each with different perspectives. But it is the same God that is written to have spoken to most of them and His Character and Words aren't of confusion or contradictions. undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 7:51pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
1. Wrong! The understanding drawn from scriptural context is not as defined by men. undecided

Pay attention! The OP asked if God is omnipotent or not, hence the reason why we consider that which was in fact declared by God in this. undecided

3. Omnipotence is a word that is typically directly related in ways to the word "Almighty" used in reference to God, in scripture. undecided

4. No matter how many times you rename or change it, so long as attempts are at using it in reference to God, it would be folly to ignore God's definition of His Almightiness, why? Because the knowledge we have of Him is that He has defined for us within the context of His Laws to us. undecided

Your no. 2
Omnipotence with limit isn't omnipotence. That is a contradictory statement.

1 Like

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On May 05, 2022
suicidesheep:
Your no. 2
Omnipotence with limit isn't omnipotence. That is a contradictory statement.
It might contradict your sense of it, but it is as defined in scripture in reference to Almighty God and His Law. undecided

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 8:02pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:

This is wrong. As every other thing you said after it undecided

The op asked if God is omnipotent not omnipotent according to his laws. For all we know the op could be a Muslim asking the question, would you then tell him God is only omnipotent within the pages of the Bible but once he's taken out then he's powerless? undecided

When a man tells me that he is omnipotent and expects me to believe him, the first thing that comes to my mind is "does he have absolute power?"

Once he said "yes I have absolute power but..." then he is no longer omnipotence because of that but. undecided

Omnipotence makes no room for conditions or criteria or factors. You either have absolute power to do anything or you are limited. There's no absolute power according to this boundary undecided

Like I said, omnipotence is a concept wherein a person or thing has the power to do everything. It makes no room for limitation according to any rules or laws.

1 Like

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On May 05, 2022
Sisora:
This is wrong. As every other thing you said after it undecided

The op asked if God is omnipotent not omnipotent according to his laws.
The Words "Omnipotent" is the same word "Almighty" used in scripture. undecided

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 8:07pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The Words "Omnipotent" is the same word "Almighty" used in scripture. undecided
seems thinking gives you headaches so you avoid doing it huh undecided

The debate is not about the synonyms of omnipotence. undecided

It's about if God has the power to do everything since we describe him as omnipotent or almighty.
undecided

1 Like

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 8:15pm On May 05, 2022
Sisora:
It's about if God has the power to do everything since we describe him as omnipotent or almighty.
The word "Almighty" isn't necessarily a synonym of the word "omnipotent" and Webster there applies it as a direct definition. undecided

A look at the etymology of the word "omnipotent" will reveal even more of the link to that defined in scripture as if Webster attempts to explain to you. undecided

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 8:20pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
The word "Almighty" isn't necessarily a synonym of the word "omnipotent" and Webster there applies it as a direct definition. undecided

A look at the etymology of the word "omnipotent" will reveal even more of the link to that defined in scripture as if Webster attempts to explain to you. undecided
this is becoming irritating undecided

We all know the meaning of omnipotence. We all know the meaning of almighty. undecided

The question is does God qualify to be called omnipotent which means he has absolute power to do anything even when there are things he cannot do?

Geez undecided

You don't even understand the question and you've been busy gallivanting and typing nonsense undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by 2elliot: 8:21pm On May 05, 2022
suicidesheep:

Lets not deviate from what OP said.

The paradox "can an omnipotent being create a rock it cannot create". In this case the omnipotent being is God
This is a very stupid paradox because, being and omnipotent God would mean that His creation can not be bigger than Him. Even humans who are not omnipotent has total control over their own creations. They can make toy cars that can fit in a pocket, and can still make real cars that are hard to lift up.
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Victerica(m): 8:23pm On May 05, 2022
How did evolution start?
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 8:23pm On May 05, 2022
Sisora:
this is becoming irritating undecided
We all know the meaning of omnipotence. We all know the meaning of almighty.

The question is does God qualify to be called omnipotent which means he has absolute power to do anything even when there are things he cannot do?
undecided

Again, The word "Almighty" isn't necessarily a synonym of the word "omnipotent" and Webster there applies it as a direct definition. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

4 Types Of Ladies That Attract Men Without Much Effort. / Man Takes Blood Oath With His Girlfriend (video) / 5 S*x Positions Guaranteed To Make A Woman Orgasm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.