Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,051 members, 7,825,345 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Is There Really Omnipotent? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is There Really Omnipotent? (1486 Views)

"Are There Really Difficult Girls, Or just 'gameless' Guys"? / Is There Really Any Point Or Gain In Being A Good Girl? / Is There Really Hope For The Coming Generation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 8:25pm On May 05, 2022
2elliot:
This is a very stupid paradox because, being and omnipotent God would mean that His creation can not be bigger than Him. Even humans who are not omnipotent has total control over their own creations. They can make toy cars that can fit in a pocket, and can still make real cars that are hard to lift up.
omnipotence does not take a human as the point of reference or the beginning of the power of omnipotence.

When we say something is omnipotent we do not say so because it's bigger than us or more powerful than us.

We say something is omnipotent because it's power is infinite or unlimited without a beginning or ending.

It's not a reference to being bigger than a human. Or would you say the president is omnipotent because he's more powerful than any citizen of his country?
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 8:26pm On May 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
undecided

Again, The word "Almighty" isn't necessarily a synonym of the word "omnipotent" and Webster there applies it as a direct definition. undecided

A look at the etymology of the word "omnipotent" will reveal even more of the link to that defined in scripture as if Webster attempts to explain to you. undecided
seems you've used up your thinking credit. I'll wait till tomorrow when you refresh your bundle undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 11:11pm On May 05, 2022
2elliot:
This is a very stupid paradox because, being and omnipotent God would mean that His creation can not be bigger than Him. Even humans who are not omnipotent has total control over their own creations. They can make toy cars that can fit in a pocket, and can still make real cars that are hard to lift up.

Do u even know the paradox
"Can an omnipotent being create a stone that he cannot lift".
Ponder on that and tell me ur pov
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 2:19am On May 06, 2022
Sisora:
seems you've used up your thinking credit. I'll wait till tomorrow when you refresh your bundle undecided
I am not your problem here... comprehension on your part is.

Read carefully my posts beginning with my initial response to the OP so you can better grasp why your line is argument remained severally flawed.
Kobojunkie:
God's Power exists OVER all of His creation .I.e. His power and sovereignty rules over each and every one of His creation. That is what it means to say God is omnipotent or Almighty. undecided

So, God as an omnipotent being cannot create a being more powerful than He, neither can He be overcome by His own creation. undecided
Everything God created is under God’s absolute control , that is what God let's us know in scripture. Nothing created by God can overwhelm or overpower Him because His power over His creation is absolute. That is what it means to say God is Almighty, and Sovereign aka omnipotent. undecided

So, when the OP asks if God is omnipotent, as etymologyonline.com points out to you, and even Webster alludes, indeed He is, this following that which is written of Him in scripture. undecided

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 11:54am On May 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
I am not your problem here... comprehension on your part is.

Read carefully my posts beginning with my initial response to the OP so you can better grasp why your line is argument remained severally flawed. Everything God created is under God’s absolute control , that is what God let's us know in scripture. Nothing created by God can overwhelm or overpower Him because His power over His creation is absolute. That is what it means to say God is Almighty, and Sovereign aka omnipotent. undecided

So, when the OP asks if God is omnipotent, as etymologyonline.com points out to you, and even Webster alludes, indeed He is, this following that which is written of Him in scripture. undecided
Guy we dont need a dictionary to tell us the meaning of omnipotent. undecided

" I am omnipotent" what comes to your mind when i tell you this?

of course you will say or think that i am lying

yet by your logic i am truly omnipotent because

1. i cannot create a thing that is more powerful than myself

2. I have total control over everything i create or own.

So, by extension i am omnipotent. undecided

But you and I know that i do not possess all the power to be described as omnipotent because while i have sovereignty over my creations, there are things i cannot do.

Omnipotence means i have all the power and can do everything not in regards to my creation or the things that exist. but in respect to absolutely everything, nothing (things that do not exist which again is a paradox because god should know things that don't exist and simultaneously know that they don't exist which in itself is infinite) and infinity. undecided

Your reasoning that omnipotence is limited and tied to rules is heavily flawed undecided because anyone can claim to be omniptoent within certain limits they set. In that case, the father is omnipotent because he begets the children and the children are not powerful than him neither are they in control of him undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 1:49pm On May 06, 2022
Sisora:
Guy we dont need a dictionary to tell us the meaning of omnipotent.
Considering your line of reasoning as far as the word is concern, we do. undecided

Again... God, has unlimited authority and influence over all of His creations, and as Webster and etymologyonline.com attempts to explains, that works as far as omnipotence is concerned.. undecided

Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 2:10pm On May 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Considering your line of reasoning as far as the word is concern, we do. undecided

Again... God, has unlimited authority and influence over all of His creations, and as Webster and etymologyonline.com attempts to explains, that works as far as omnipotence is concerned.. undecided
Again, not my line of reasoning but yours. Don't add lying to your illogical arguments undecided

Secondly, control is not omnipotence. undecided

Thirdly, power over a limited spectrum of beings is not omnipotence. undecided

Fourthly, I am not omnipotent undecided

and lastly, you can't think undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On May 06, 2022
Sisora:
Again, not my line of reasoning but yours. Don't add lying to your illogical arguments undecided
Since the dictionary and even word etymology mean nothing to you, I am afraid there isn't much I can help you with in this. After all, you are free to believe as you choose. undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 2:20pm On May 06, 2022
Sisora:

Dont bother arguing with him. See the way he's cherry picking that part out of context, the same way some people cherry pick some verse out of the bible to suit their narrative.

Also he isn't ready to see things from your POV, he just wants to continue pushing his agenda.
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 2:24pm On May 06, 2022
MaDaRa01:
I once saw it somewhere -paradox of some sort. Omnipotent means all powerful.
Can an omnipotent being - all powerful, make a box that he cant lift?

YES? If he can't lift a box he create, that means he's not omnipotent.

NO? If he cannot create a box he cant lift, that also means hes not omnipotent, because there's still something he can't do.

What can you give the omnipotent God for the breathe of air that he gave you first
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 2:26pm On May 06, 2022
Sisora:
omnipotence does not take a human as the point of reference or the beginning of the power of omnipotence.

When we say something is omnipotent we do not say so because it's bigger than us or more powerful than us.

We say something is omnipotent because it's power is infinite or unlimited without a beginning or ending.

It's not a reference to being bigger than a human. Or would you say the president is omnipotent because he's more powerful than any citizen of his country?
Ominpotent means it includes been bigger than a human to infinite levels
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 2:26pm On May 06, 2022
suicidesheep:

Dont bother arguing with him. See the way he's cherry picking that part out of context, the same way some people cherry pick some verse out of the bible to suit their narrative.

Also he isn't ready to see things from your POV, he just wants to continue pushing his agenda.
lolz. I know the nigga very well. He's one of the most illogical nigga on this forum. i know him
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 2:28pm On May 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
Since the dictionary and even word etymology mean nothing to you, I am afraid there isn't much I can help you with in this. After all, you are free to believe as you choose. undecided
Try helping yourself first and then we can start from there undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Sisora(m): 2:29pm On May 06, 2022
baralatie:

Ominpotent means it includes been bigger to infinite levels
i think this is what i have been saying. Human is not a measuring yard for omnipotence
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 2:33pm On May 06, 2022
suicidesheep:

Omnipotence has one meaning: able to do any and all things. God doesn't has his own special form of omnipotence, if not then you're saying he's nigh-omnipotent
Omnipotent means all powerful.one whose powers have infinite levels

He made the whole universe and all it's contents ..all powerful

Can an all powerful God tell a lie . No

Those that make him less omnipotent ....No

He remains Omnipotent and Omnirighteous
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 2:35pm On May 06, 2022
Sisora:
i think this is what i have been saying. Human is not a measuring yard for omnipotence
True humans are not a measuring unit for omnipotence
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 3:09pm On May 06, 2022
baralatie:

Omnipotent means all powerful.one whose powers have infinite levels

He made the whole universe and all it's contents ..all powerful

Can an all powerful God tell a lie . No

Those that make him less omnipotent ....No

He remains Omnipotent and Omnirighteous

Not being able to do something automatically makes you non omnipotent. You're just being sentimental now because it involves God
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by ibkonekt(m): 4:03pm On May 06, 2022
So this question that can an omnipotent God create something more powerful is a contradiction.

1. There is no existence outside of God. You could say Without God there is nothing that can exist. So the problem with the question is that it is asking God to create something more powerful than the being God which is like asking to create something outside existence. Such a thing more powerful than God cannot exist because the concept of existence is within the law of God
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 4:19pm On May 06, 2022
suicidesheep:

Not being able to do something automatically makes you non omnipotent. You're just being sentimental now because it involves God
What is it that thing you think It is impossible that God cannot do
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by okoroemeka(m): 4:31pm On May 06, 2022
baralatie:

Ominpotent means it includes been bigger than a human to infinite levels
did it not strike you as curious how a supposed being that has the power to create heaven, Earth,human,animals can desend so low to talk and compare with his creation,is it not even more curious that out of millions of galaxies and billions of planets,God supposedly created man on Earth alone and other planets are left empty and hostile,can't he create other form of life on Uranus or Jupiter,the Bible was written in the era when they thought the Earth was the centre of the world,even during the middle ages you can easily be declared a heretic and burned at the stake by Papal inquisitors for saying there are other planets apart from Earth,many unknowns are mystery and falsely interpreted due to superstitions and lack of scientific discoveries,the current and latest astrophysics discoveries by science has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that the universe is finitely endless with billions and billions of planets systems that Earth is just a grain of sand in the desert,let us open our minds and see things from an improved point of view,we can no longer continue to stamp and stifle the relentless March of science and continue to bilndly believe in a story that was passed down from word of mouth for hundreds of years before it was written down and compiled by very intelligent and wise men
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 4:38pm On May 06, 2022
okoroemeka post=112582534
:

did it not strike you as curious how a supposed being that has the power to create heaven, Earth,human,animals can desend so low to talk and compare with his creation,
is it not even more curious that out of millions of galaxies and billions of planets,God supposedly created man on Earth alone and other planets are left empty and hostile,can't he create other form of life on Uranus or Jupiter,
the Bible was written in the era when they thought the Earth was the centre of the world,even during the middle ages you can easily be declared a heretic and burned at the stake by Papal inquisitors for saying there are other planets apart from Earth,
many unknowns are mystery and falsely interpreted due to superstitions and lack of scientific discoveries,the current and latest astrophysics discoveries by science has proven beyond any reasonable doubt that the universe is finitely endless with billions and billions of planets systems that Earth is just a grain of sand in the desert,let us open our minds and see things from an improved point of view,we can no longer continue to stamp and stifle the relentless March of science and continue to bilndly believe in a story that was passed down from word of mouth for hundreds of years before it was written down and compiled by very intelligent and wise men

All you are doing is declaring The omnipotency of God

We as humans yet to fully understand how long, wide,deep the universe is
Here on Earth we have not scratch it's secrets

Do you know how long for human to understand how to fly like a bird or to swim underwater like a fish?
Yet we have learnt in part the other part we are still learning
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by 2mNaira: 5:25pm On May 06, 2022
I don't see any reason for this debate. God is omnipotent. He can do absolutely all things, but he chooses not to do some things.

If it can be coceived, then it can be done by him, but will he be willing to do it? That's the question.

He can do all things, but he chooses not to do some things.
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by okoroemeka(m): 5:53pm On May 06, 2022
baralatie:

All you are doing is declaring The omnipotency of God

We as humans yet to fully understand how long, wide,deep the universe is
Here on Earth we have not scratch it's secrets

Do you know how long for human to understand how to fly like a bird or to swim underwater like a fish?
Yet we have learnt in part the other part we are still learning
for millions of years mankind has been worshipping what fills them with awe and dread like fire, lightning,earthquake thunder,the sea,forests etc, before the foundations of Jerusalem was laid mankind has other gods like Zeus,Apollo,Artemis,etc and before Jesus was born the pyramid temples of Egypt, cartage,Babylon has been standing for thousands of years,does it then mean that God deliberately kept quiet and allowed mankind to worship idols for millions of years?when he can easily sent Jesus earlier,if not for the sheer tenacity of the papal Rome and European nobels, Islam and the Moors has already overrun Spain and Christianity knocking on french doors,what about the billions of Hindus, Confucius, Judaism, Buddhist and other religions that claims superiority,can't God easily send different Jesus to convert these people or is the situation out of his control?,mankind has witnessed the rise ,decline and death of many religions,the Egyptians worshipped Osiris,isis,etc for thousands of years more than Christianity has now lasted before it was taken over by Islam,the March of change cannot stop, Christianity is in full scale decline in Europe and nothing can stop it,church's are been converted to warehouses, apartments,gyms and clubs,it is only in Africa and south America that the beacon of Christianity still burns brightness.
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 5:53pm On May 06, 2022
baralatie:

What is it that thing you think It is impossible that God cannot do

Lie, behold sin, sin. And many other things

But my own is can God create a stone that he can't life
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 6:00pm On May 06, 2022
2elliot:

That's why it's a paradox, have control have ur creations isn't omnipotence.

Omnipotence means being able to do any and all things. The paradox is just a clear indication that no being can truly be omnipotent.

And besides the Christian God isnt omnipotent seeing as he has so many limitations
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by brandonobi(m): 6:10pm On May 06, 2022
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 6:47pm On May 06, 2022
suicidesheep:

Lie, behold sin, sin. And many other things

But my own is can God create a stone that he can't life
Do those things negate Gods' omnipotency?
Or
Does it validates God's Omnirighteousness!

To your second question...wat is the question?
God cannot create a stone or
Can God give life to a stone?or
God cannot create life?
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 7:05pm On May 06, 2022
baralatie:

Do those things negate Gods' omnipotency?
Or
Does it validates God's Omnirighteousness!

To your second question...wat is the question?
God cannot create a stone or
Can God give life to a stone?or
God cannot create life?

"Can god create a stone that he cannot lift" that Is the question.
Dont make up words there's no such thing as omnirighteousness.

Also not being to able to something even as minute as let's say lifting a feather negates omnipotent as omnipotent means being able to do all things
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On May 06, 2022
ibkonekt:
So this question that can an omnipotent God create something more powerful is a contradiction.

1. There is no existence outside of God. You could say Without God there is nothing that can exist. So the problem with the question is that it is asking God to create something more powerful than the being God which is like asking to create something outside existence. Such a thing more powerful than God cannot exist because the concept of existence is within the law of God
Exactly! And the dictionary goes on to define omnipotence as wielding authority/sovereignty over all, that which is explained in God in scripture. undecided
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 10:03pm On May 06, 2022
suicidesheep:

"Can god create a stone that he cannot lift" that Is the question.
Dont make up words there's no such thing as omnirighteousness.

Also not being to able to something even as minute as let's say lifting a feather negates omnipotent as omnipotent means being able to do all things
Here is where you have error in thinking!
After God made the whole universe of the Sun,Moon and stars and the great mountains ,hills.
Will you consider God not omnipotent because you as a man cannot lift olumo rock or zuma rock or mountain everest that the omnipotent God kept there to his own liking!
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by suicidesheep: 10:55pm On May 06, 2022
baralatie:

Here is where you have error in thinking!
After God made the whole universe of the Sun,Moon and stars and the great mountains ,hills.
Will you consider God not omnipotent because you as a man cannot lift olumo rock or zuma rock or mountain everest that the omnipotent God kept there to his own liking!

You're going out of context, just say you dont understand the question.

Can God create a stone that he himself cannot lift.

U seem more of a sentimental person than a logical person. So I wouldn't expect much from you sef
Re: Is There Really Omnipotent? by baralatie(m): 11:59pm On May 06, 2022
suicidesheep:

You're going out of context, just say you dont understand the question.

Can God create a stone that he himself cannot lift.

U seem more of a sentimental person than a logical person. So I wouldn't expect much from you sef
Okay is that your answer then!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Good Men Marry Bad Girls, and vice versa (according to Science) / What An Unfaithful Wife / Why Do Non-virgins Hate Virgin Women?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.