Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,812,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? (24191 Views)

Will GOD Forgive A Wicked Man/Woman Who Has Killed So Many Innocent People? / If We Ask For The Forgiveness Of God Before We Die, Will God Forgive us ? / Pastor Adeboye: “The Day My Ex Girlfriend Came To Me For Prayers" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by GiZcorp: 11:14am On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:
Taking the dead to church and all that are mere religious Exercises

Praying for forgiveness after Death is a Complete and comprehensive waste of time.

Even if the Pope, Bishop , Reverned and Pastors combine together to bury or Pray for forgiveness of a dead person, it has nothing to do with the Eternal destination of the person.

Even if one is buried inside the Church, it means nothing.

Mercy Expires at Death. Immediately Death hits, it is Judgement! It is straight to Either of Heaven or Hell. The opportunity to repent is closed. There is no Repentance in the Grave.

What Matters for us all after Death is if we Believe & accepted JESUS CHRIST as our LORD and SAVIOR.
What matters is if we lived according to Commandments.
What matters is if our Names are in the book of life.
Just when you're about to make sense boom, u displayed that usually traits of yours "I knoweth all" and "holier than thou" attitude of yours.
My advice: You must'nt comment on every religious threads cos honestly, there's nothing special about you and most times you mislead people
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Kobojunkie: 11:15am On May 01, 2022
loffyloffy:
The prayers are to afford the living an opportunity for a closure.

To say goodbye to the dead.

It is not about the dead
Precisely what the rituals are for..... absolutely nothing to do with the dead. undecided

It was when I realized this, growing up, that I quit the silly practice of "mourning the dead". undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by jcross19: 11:19am On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Praying for forgiveness after Death is a Complete and comprehensive waste of time.

Even if the Pope, Bishop , Reverned and Pastors combine together to bury or Pray for forgiveness of a dead person, it has nothing to do with the Eternal destination of the person.

Mercy Expires at Death. Immediately Death hits, it is Judgement! It is straight to Either of Heaven or Hell. The opportunity to repent is closed. There is no Repentance in the Grave.

What Matters for us all after Death is if we Believe & accepted JESUS CHRIST as our LORD and SAVIOR.
meaning there is no mercy in heaven? Heaven is a unmerciful place right?

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Righteousness2(m): 11:21am On May 01, 2022
Feel free to do as you will sir!
When you Close your eyes in Death, and appear before, you will understand who is the Hypocrite.

Haykinx98:

You referred to other people's Holy Scripture as Mere book because it doesn't conform with your believe.
That shows how much of an hypocrite you are
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by LollySeaSide: 11:23am On May 01, 2022
Znation:
Good morning and happy new month nairalanders.

I will not be calling the name of any church, but why do some churches takes the deads to the church and pray for their sins to be forgiven before they are laid to rest?

Note, that most of this person are kept long in murtuary for months, and some even last up to years in the murtuary. But when it is time for their burial, they are first taken to the church for prayers. This prayer is mostly centered on asking God to forgive their sins and accep their souls into his kingdom (heaven).

My questions;

* Is taken dead bodies to the church good in the sight of God?

* Is the fate of the dead decided immidiately after death, or after they are burried?

* Can our sin be forgiven after death?
Ever heard of Pascal's Wager?
That's what every religious practice is all about.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Nerogaming01(m): 11:24am On May 01, 2022
Catholics believes prayer can still work for those in purgatory. They believe the dead could still be pardoned by the prayers of the living

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by OgunkeelAllMod: 11:25am On May 01, 2022
Radionigeria:
One was done yesterday in a church in my area. I don't know if their sin are forgiven after death, but they might stand a chance.
stand a chance? Really? which chance be dat abeg?hmm, I don't believe there is room for appeal in the court of God oo .God don't free criminal from jail like buhari and his Supreme Court inc. undecided..once you die,you are your own with God to face judgment..no amount of prayer can save any sinful,wcked soul ass from damnation unless HE LIVED RIGHT! Muslim does the same BS too..I laugh in kuviki land dialect undecided person wet go hell faya after death..walahi, nothing can stop it.. people got only ONE CHANCE to live right and fear God..after death,na judgment straight ,no story
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Obafavour(m): 11:25am On May 01, 2022
hopefulLandlord:
There's no god and there's no sin
Who metioned you here?
Someone shouldn't be punished under the law then, if there is no sin.
He-goat!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Sakasitay(m): 11:27am On May 01, 2022
ictplotter:

What makes a bible a holy book and a book of God?
70% of the new testament was authored by Jewish lawyer, a persecutor, a rapist and criminal called saul.
What is different between Obasanjo and saul? While saul was writing to the so called early Christians to repent from their sins, Obasanjo is writing to Nigeria government to do righteous deeds. Meanwhile both of then are hard unrepented criminals. If saul personal letters are now regarded as words of God. Obasanjo letters should Also be named 3rd testament of the bible. Because Obasanjo hav written more letters today than saul.

You sound so uneducated. Which Kind reasoning be this?
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Obafavour(m): 11:33am On May 01, 2022
ictplotter:

What makes a bible a holy book and a book of God?
70% of the new testament was authored by Jewish lawyer, a persecutor, a rapist and criminal called saul.
What is different between Obasanjo and saul? While saul was writing to the so called early Christians to repent from their sins, Obasanjo is writing to Nigeria government to do righteous deeds. Meanwhile both of then are hard unrepented criminals. If saul personal letters are now regarded as words of God. Obasanjo letters should Also be named 3rd testament of the bible. Because Obasanjo hav written more letters today than saul.
Only an ignoramus person like you say this trash

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by LollySeaSide: 11:34am On May 01, 2022
Nerogaming01:
Catholics believes prayer can still work for those in purgatory. They believe the dead could still be pardoned by the prayers of the living
Well...
If it does, they win.
If it doesn't, they don't lose.
Religion is a practice of ultimate uncertainty.
No one knows for sure what is and what is not.
People just believe and hope that it is true so they win.
If you do it and it is true, you win.
If you do it and it is not true, you don't lose.
If you don't do it and it is true, you lose.
If you don't do it and it is not true, you don't lose and you don't win.
The above is called Pascal's Wager.
Gathering to pray for the dead before burial also renews the hope of the faithful that the church will be with them even till death.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Sakasitay(m): 11:37am On May 01, 2022
While I believe that praying may not do much for the deceased, since judgement comes right after death, I think it helps to comfort the bereaved. There’s a certain peace of mind and comfort (all marginal and short lived - the sorrow still lingers for long) that comes with doing all these prayers.

I’d respect anyone who chooses to pray for their dead loved ones. You do you!
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Obafavour(m): 11:38am On May 01, 2022
All this things are just beliefs.
Only God knws the truth, just do what is right before God while you're still here on earth.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Shyboyk(m): 11:38am On May 01, 2022
sirfemoz:

The same way you believed all these chapters you quote up there.
The same way you believed what's in the bible without knowing who wrote it.
The same way you believed in God.

This life And world is a mystery. We all believe in mysteries. Do what ever that pleases you. Do good things. Live a good life.

Some people believed so much in praying for the dead. Its not a bad thing to them. Let them be. Tell your people not to pray for you when you die.

Gbam… although i think the churches do this things just to show that the member belonged to their church
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by shagasha: 11:41am On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

You better throw away that book. And read the HOLY Bible which is the Word of GOD

Throw away the book of Maccabees?
Bros I pity u. Now u have shown that you are myopic in your Christianity.

Have it in mind that man is not God
I rest my case

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Nobody: 11:43am On May 01, 2022
Radionigeria:
One was done yesterday in a church in my area. I don't know if their sin are forgiven after death, but they might stand a chance.

I understand that word ‘they might stand a chance’
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Nerogaming01(m): 11:45am On May 01, 2022
LollySeaSide:

Well...
If it does, they win.
If it doesn't, they don't lose.
Religion is a practice of ultimate uncertainty.
No one knows for sure what is and what is not.
People just believe and hope that it is true so they win.
If you do it and it is true, you win.
If you do it and it is not true, you don't lose.
If you don't do it and it is true, you lose.
If you don't do it and it is not true, you don't lose and you don't win.
The above is called Pascal's Wager.
Gathering to pray for the dead before burial also renews the hope of the faithful that the church will be with them even till death.

Well, I'm a catholic and I don't believe in any of those $h|t.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Nobody: 11:50am On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

You better throw away that book. And read the HOLY Bible which is the Word of GOD

Sounding intelligent I guess, have you ever inquired why the translator who was a Protestant never included such verses in the carried around Bible.
Have you ever inquired why the Holy church fought so hard and persecuted alot of people who where trying to translate the undiluted word of God.
Have you ever asked to know what Jesus told Mary all immediately after his resurrection and it was known he spent most time with her.And,where are her books? I believe you never knew Adam's and all beings before resurrection were held in shackles, reason why Jesus broke the gate of brass and tore the brass of iron into assunder just to free those who were held in hades.
Do you ever know the Writtings of Saint Jerome and it's impact in the way of life the deeper life practices.
A thousand and one writes up are missing and just what King James , Martin's could Lay there hands on was made publish.
Left to the Catholic Church No man born of a woman , unless you are a priest and have been sanctified during the holy mass is worthy to open the Bible. Just why the priest Bow, Kiss and uphold the Bible when ever it is in his possession.
You dare not Shut any one up, because it seems you one of those half baked Bible students who don't know HISTORY was coined from HIS STORY and just why people who are sound mist especially the priest takes a minimum of 8 yrs to study and understand all relevant text.
I am so sure aren't conversant with the scared scriptures and the forbidden bible books as some are termed.
In terms of taking the dead to the Church , the OP should have just Mentioned the Church name of which we all know it is the HOLY CATHOLIC CHURCH.
The church believes in Purgatory and alot of reasons exist why they do and that's why you can hear prayer and supplications for the dead.
If you aren't open minded in thinking and studying then I believe you should just walk away and you will never get to understand why such is done. Take your time read some old text not included in the 36 books of the Bible and you will get to understand why such exist.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by otino(m): 11:50am On May 01, 2022
There is No repentance after death.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by JoeyBlue72(m): 11:53am On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

May God forgive you!!
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Kwara1stson: 11:54am On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

the Bible is not the word of God, scripture is the word of God
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Comedian2019: 11:55am On May 01, 2022
Winters23:
grin

This question is laughable because what is dead is not alive anywhere else.

Death is the opposite of life, the end of it all!

Before we were born we weren't existing anywhere and when we die we sieze to exist.

Religion need their followers to believe the afterlife because that's the only way to guarantee the free flow of money to live their luxurious lifestyle.

With constant threat of eternity in hellfire they bend the gullible to do their bidding.
Even the bible says that the dead are freed of their sins.
"For he that is dead is freed from sin".
- Romans 6:7 (KJV)
A loving God will not enjoy tormenting his creatures. Only a wicked person would do that.
"He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love". - 1John 4:8 (KJV)
So scaring people with one imaginary fire is just to cash out from gullible people.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Comedian2019: 11:59am On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Praying for forgiveness after Death is a Complete and comprehensive waste of time and Strength.

Where was Lazarus when he died, before Jesus resurrected him? Heaven or hell?
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Beey(f): 11:59am On May 01, 2022
Znation:
Good morning and happy new month nairalanders.

I will not be calling the name of any church, but why do some churches takes the deads to the church and pray for their sins to be forgiven before they are laid to rest?

Note, that most of this person are kept long in murtuary for months, and some even last up to years in the murtuary. But when it is time for their burial, they are first taken to the church for prayers. This prayer is mostly centered on asking God to forgive their sins and accep their souls into his kingdom (heaven).

My questions;

* Is taken dead bodies to the church good in the sight of God?

* Is the fate of the dead decided immidiately after death, or after they are burried?

* Can our sin be forgiven after death?
My opinion is that man was created by God. Churches are houses of worship dedicated for people to meet and give thanks to God , and make their requests known to Him. Man is created by God and when he dies, he goes back to God. If when alive human beings are dedicated, baptized or wed in churches, what makes it wrong to take this person back to church when their life has ended? I don’t believe in praying for the dead to be forgiven their sins, but I do believe in gathering to give thanks to God for the life of the departed , as well as pray for the loved ones left behind. I don’t know why some believe a person can go to church when alive but it’s sin to be taken there when dead. Is the God who gives life different from the God who takes it away?
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by midastouch: 12:02pm On May 01, 2022
Please do not misquote the church.

The faith holds that only “The faithful departed” which means a soul who was a friend of God at his demise! will make it! Being Gods friend means obeying his word.

Jahlivesforever:
You don't criticize what you don't understand.
In the holy Mass which is the same sacrifice that Jesus offered on the Calvary, we ask God to please forgive our dead brother and Grant him heaven.

God cannot refuse the prayer of the church. That's is why Catholic faithful that they said mass for at death WILL NEVER EVER GO TO HELL.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by BnQoyyim(m): 12:02pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment

Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

2 Corinthians 5:10-11
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

All these quotes are just a mere analogy. Give a precise quotation that nullify PRAYING for the dead.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by BrickDevo: 12:03pm On May 01, 2022
Jahlivesforever:
You don't criticize what you don't understand.
In the holy Mass which is the same sacrifice that Jesus offered on the Calvary, we ask God to please forgive our dead brother and Grant him heaven.

God cannot refuse the prayer of the church. That's is why Catholic faithful that they said mass for at death WILL NEVER EVER GO TO HELL.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]
it then means hell must be empty, because virtually everyone who dies a prayer is said for that person, therefore catholics don't even go to hell.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Petshopng: 12:03pm On May 01, 2022
There's no repentance after death

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Stanleyq: 12:06pm On May 01, 2022
hopefulLandlord:
There's no god and there's no sin
yes there is no god but there is God, but if u mean God not gods, it means also that there is no you.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Stanleyq: 12:09pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Sir Don't Deceive yourself! Don't let anyone Deceive you.

The Merciful GOD now is a Judgemental GOD after Death.
The Lamb of GOD now is a Lion and terror after Death.
There is no Repentance after Death.
Make use of the opportunity now there is Life. Mercy Expires at Death.
who really knows what God has in mind, all of u who are against it will shout RIP when u hear about one who died, is RIP also not waste of time?

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Stanleyq: 12:10pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

is Maccabees not in holy book?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ifeanyi, Paul Adefarasin's Wife Celebrates Him On His 58th Birthday / Don't Be Deceived, Everyone Has A Weakness / Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.