Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,832 members, 7,817,432 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? (24225 Views)

Will GOD Forgive A Wicked Man/Woman Who Has Killed So Many Innocent People? / If We Ask For The Forgiveness Of God Before We Die, Will God Forgive us ? / Pastor Adeboye: “The Day My Ex Girlfriend Came To Me For Prayers" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Greyworld: 7:02pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:
Let me sound it Clearly in your ears and eyes, so you won't say I didn't hear or u didn't know.
THROW AWAY THAT BOOK and get the HOLYBIBLE.
That is the Book that will be used to determine your fate in Eternity.
Without JESUS Christ , there is no hope for you or anyone in Eternity! It is straight to Hell Fire!
If you like , accept!
If you like , refuse!
At the appointed time, you will understand what u did to yourself.

My friend go and sit down. Sound system. Be preaching the kingdom of God with love before anybody ll take you serious.

Like I said if you where born in mecca you would be a Muslim and still feel saved so stop disturbing people.

Preach if you must but don't condemn what you don't understand.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 7:07pm On May 01, 2022
cherishmichael:
Romans 6; 23 For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.
Bringing the dead into a place where you claim to be the house of God is unclean and very detestable to Both God and man, human are just full of disobeying God's law, why?...
Numbers 9:6
6Now there were men who had become unclean by touching a dead body, so that they were not able to prepare the Passover sacrifice on that day. So those men presented themselves before Moses and Aaron on that day, 7 and said to him: “We are unclean because of touching a dead body. Why should we be kept from presenting the offering to Jehovah at its appointed time among the Israelites?” 8 At this Moses said to them: “Wait there, and let me hear what Jehovah may command regarding you.” 9 Then Jehovah said to Moses: 10 “Tell the Israelites, ‘Although any man among you or of your future generations should become unclean by touching a dead body or should be off on a distant journey, he must still prepare the Passover sacrifice to Jehovah

Numbers 19:11
11Anyone touching any dead person will be unclean for seven days. 12 Such one should purify himself with the water on the third day, and on the seventh day he will be clean. But if he does not purify himself on the third day, on the seventh day he will not be clean. 13 Everyone who touches the corpse of any dead person and does not purify himself has defiled Jehovah’s tabernacle, and that person must be cut off from Israel. Because the water for cleansing has not been sprinkled on him, he continues unclean. His uncleanness remains upon him.
If the dead body is unclean why then should it be brought inside the so claimed house of God, when only by touching it makes one unclean

My dear, Jesus touched dead Jairus daughter and brought her to life. Peter never saw the dead body of Dorcas as uncleanliness. He even knelt down to pray beside it. Elijah prostrated himself on the body of the son of the woman who took care of him until the boy was restored to life. Say something more reasonable please
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by rickleye: 10:51pm On May 01, 2022
It’s a dogma. A tradition meant to ease the souls of those living. It’s continued to thrive because billions of people who profess to be Christians - in this specific regards Catholics , Roman Catholics and some Anglican’s have never read the bible.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church or so is where it is written that when Jesus died and before he rose to heaven saved the souls of those in purgatory or Abraham bosom.
Another thing is “Holy Mary” Pray for me. She was a vessel for the baby Jesus and that’s all. She had other children.
Other denominations or sects Pentecostal , Evangelicals , Baptist’s etc do not engage in those doctrine or exercise.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by ozoono(m): 2:45am On May 02, 2022
Righteousness2:

You better throw away that book. And read the HOLY Bible which is the Word of GOD
Shut up. Mr. Know it all, where u deer when d one u call original version of d bible was written or compiled? Even those long letters written by Paul, Timothy etc. Is also perfect. Ehnn? Mr. Ast. Gods
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Remite011(m): 2:52am On May 02, 2022
Notyourtype:
exactly my thought. But is there any bible verse to read about this?

Yes, ecclesiastes 9: 10 state it clearly dat "Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.'
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Jancourk234(m): 5:03am On May 02, 2022
The reason is that in the process of praying for the dead soul, many people will gather there and pastor take the advantage to preach the gospel of love and repentance. In one word, the activity is no longer for the dead soul but for the living ones to learn....
I'm Toyin the Great Phones & Accessories
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by ECHICHE: 6:00am On May 02, 2022
There was no account in the Bible where burial service were conducted for the deads, not even Jesus Christ.

I wonder where the church got the idea of taking the dead to church to pray to God to forgive the sin of the dead. The scripture says...... There is no repentance in the grave.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 9:12am On May 02, 2022
ECHICHE:

There was no account in the Bible where burial service were conducted for the deads, not even Jesus Christ.

I wonder where the church got the idea of taking the dead to church to pray to God to forgive the sin of the dead. The scripture says...... There is no repentance in the grave.

So, you mean the dead were not buried with rites? So, what did Abraham and the many others in the Bible do? Throw away the body? Why was the body of Dorcas laid upstairs in preparation for burial before Peter was called upon in the Book of Acts? You sound intelligently foolish my dear.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 9:16am On May 02, 2022
rickleye:
It’s a dogma. A tradition meant to ease the souls of those living. It’s continued to thrive because billions of people who profess to be Christians - in this specific regards Catholics , Roman Catholics and some Anglican’s have never read the bible.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church or so is where it is written that when Jesus died and before he rose to heaven saved the souls of those in purgatory or Abraham bosom.
Another thing is “Holy Mary” Pray for me. She was a vessel for the baby Jesus and that’s all. She had other children.
Other denominations or sects Pentecostal , Evangelicals , Baptist’s etc do not engage in those doctrine or exercise.

It's because other denominations of Christianity that claim to know the Bible are awesomely ignorant of many passages of the Bible that talk about the dead and what happens to them. Read the various Bible passages pointed out earlier about passages of the Bible that talk of the fate of the dead and how the living can change that fate. 1 Cor.15:29 and many others pointed out will help.

Please study more about the Christian faith and Scriptures
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 9:18am On May 02, 2022
Jancourk234:
The reason is that in the process of praying for the dead soul, many people will gather there and pastor take the advantage to preach the gospel of love and repentance. In one word, the activity is no longer for the dead soul but for the living ones to learn....
I'm Toyin the Great Phones & Accessories

That's to the extent you know. In Paul's time, Christians baptized themselves on behalf of those who had died so that they can be saved even in death. Read 1Cor.15:29 and other Bible passages pointed out already about this.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by cherishmichael: 9:56am On May 02, 2022
Waylex21:

My dear, Jesus touched dead Jairus daughter and brought her to life. Peter never saw the dead body of Dorcas as uncleanliness. He even knelt down to pray beside it. Elijah prostrated himself on the body of the son of the woman who took care of him until the boy was restored to life. Say something more reasonable please
When the bible tell you, it's unclean does it mean that it tells lie, or those prophets and Jesus you called didn't they resurrect the dead for a reason to complete the scriptures??, Please i hate arguing with kids and don't mention me for what you know nothing about, please.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by EmmaOgbu(m): 10:11am On May 02, 2022
Righteousness2:

Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment

Revelation 20:12
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

2 Corinthians 5:10-11
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.

2 Maccabees 12:44-45
Good News Translation

44 If he had not believed that the dead would be raised, it would have been foolish and useless to pray for them. 45 In his firm and devout conviction that all of God's faithful people would receive a wonderful reward, Judas made provision for a sin offering to set free from their sin those who had died.

Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by rickleye: 5:46pm On May 02, 2022
Waylex21:

It's because other denominations of Christianity that claim to know the Bible are awesomely ignorant of many passages of the Bible that talk about the dead and what happens to them. Read the various Bible passages pointed out earlier about passages of the Bible that talk of the fate of the dead and how the living can change that fate. 1 Cor.15:29 and many others pointed out will help.

Please study more about the Christian faith and Scriptures

Pardon me, but what does that verse have to do with the living changing the fate of the dead. ?
Point to 2 other verses which corroborates what you think this means.

You gave me a scripture, so I'll return the favour Luke 16:19-31. Those in Heaven can't influence those in Hell. Talkless between those Alive and Dead.

Please reread that passage using the Blue Letter Bible or reference bible. Incase you don't have a copy. I have posted what it means here..

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Obatolysis(m): 8:46pm On May 02, 2022
Some people are getting the Catholic church wrong though. The Catholic Church teaches that the opportunity for salvation remains as long as one is alive. After death, there is no opportunity for repentance and faces God's justice. So either one is saved or is damned. One is as well rewarded according to his/her deeds. However the Catholic Church teaches that some will be saved but not through any profitable good works because their works wouldn't survive the test of the fire. In other words our good works will be weighed and rewarded accordingly. But because they have believed in the son of God and trusted in his Mercy while alive , they shall also be saved but as though escaped from the fire 1 Cor 3:15 to satiate Divine Justice. So for instance, if a hardened criminal sincerely repents at the last hour, trusting in God's mercy for Salvation, He will be saved by God's Mercy but he will undergo some purification before he can see God, for nothing impure shall see God. These purification is what Catholics calls Purgatory. The Catholic church teaches that the slightest stain of sin that does not lead to death must be satiated in this life or the next before a Soul can see God . It also teaches that one must make reparations for temporal punishment due to forgiven mortal sin in this life or the next before one can see God. So when we pray for the dead, we are actually praying for the faithful in Jesus prior to their departure, praying God to grant them mercy, not due to their good works while they were alive but for they fact they had believed and professed the only begotten son of God who Himself had said "Whosoever believes in Me shall not perish but have eternal life "
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by STARGREEN(m): 10:02pm On May 03, 2022
Righteousness2:

Sir Don't Deceive yourself! Don't let anyone Deceive you.

The Merciful GOD now is a Judgemental GOD after Death.
The Lamb of GOD now is a Lion and terror after Death.
There is no Repentance after Death.
Make use of the opportunity now there is Life. Mercy Expires at Death.

Kindly edit those words Lion and terror for God can never be portrayed with Terror.

Shalon

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by goshee: 7:52am On May 08, 2022
Righteousness2:

Only a being who lacks wisdom, knowledge and understanding will utter the bold words .
You can quote your achaic and fictitious junk called Bible for all you want but the fact is that prayer doesn't change situation and there is no might God overseeing the happenings in the universe. The earlier you understand this the faster you start taking responsibilities for your actions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Catholic Bishops Reject Father Mbaka’s Apology To Peter Obi / "If You Catch Your Wife Cheating & Forgive Her, Her Respect For You Will Go" / Elections Will Be Free And Fair – Pastor Kumuyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.