Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? (24196 Views)

Will GOD Forgive A Wicked Man/Woman Who Has Killed So Many Innocent People? / If We Ask For The Forgiveness Of God Before We Die, Will God Forgive us ? / Pastor Adeboye: “The Day My Ex Girlfriend Came To Me For Prayers" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 1:23pm On May 01, 2022
brainhgeek:

Mercy stops at death. Everyone qualifies for mercy when they are conscious of sins and forgiveness and decides what they want to do. At death, there is no forgiveness. Judgement alone awaits.

But the same Bible talks of mercy trumping judgement in James. 2:13. Is that not a contradiction then?
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 1:24pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

The mind of GOD is HIS Word which HE has given to all Humanity ( THE HOLY BIBLE)

Saying RIP and all that are mere religious exercises.
The Only people resting in Peace are those who Died having JESUS Christ as their Lord and Savior.
Any other person is lamenting and wailing in Hell Fire.

And there are several passages that suggest praying for the dead. Please do read up these verses
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Nerogaming01(m): 1:25pm On May 01, 2022
LollySeaSide:

By the bolded, do you mean the Catholic practices and doctrines?
If yes, then you are not a Catholic. You just attend a Catholic Church.

Yeah yeah. You're right. I just attend a catholic church.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 1:26pm On May 01, 2022
wispraise:
shartap there.

Yes o. The mercy of God is unlimited.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 1:28pm On May 01, 2022
Victoria938:
Attendee: Pastor, can I request for prayer?

Pastor: Yes, sure. What is it?

Attendee: It's about my relative.

Pastor: What do you want us to pray for your relative?

Attendee: She died a week ago. So, I request that God will guide her.

Pastor: Oh? Hmmm... Let me put it this way, If you are taking an exam, when will you pray before you take the exam or after?

Attendee: Before...

Pastor: Yes, that's true. You see, if we pray after the exam, it is like asking God to change our answers and that cannot be done.

Likewise, when we die it is like the exam is done. We cannot change the outcome after it. In Hebrews 9:27 we are told that we are to die once and then we will face the judgment after that. That means we don't get a second chance after death.

I'm sorry, but that is the truth.

Attendee: Oh? Is that so....?

Pastor: Yes. I'm sorry about your relative, but I cannot pray for her anymore. Death has closed the door of opportunity for her. That's exactly why we preach the Gospel to those who are alive, to give them the chance to make a decision for Christ. That opportunity ends at death.

Attendee: Okay, pastor.

Churches that teach there is still salvation after death are teaching what is contrary to Scripture and are deceiving their members.

People who believe they can be saved after death will get the greatest shock of their lives when they find out the Truth that there is no salvation after death.

Teach the Truth because that's the only thing that can set people free! (John 8:32)

-ctto

GOD LOVES YOU.❤️❤️❤️

"SEEK THE KINGDOM OF GOD WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TIME" -Matthew 6:33

JESUS IS THE WAY.JESUS IS THE TRUTH.JESUS IS THE LIFE. -John 14:6

NO RELIGION CAN SAVE US.ONLY JESUS CAN SAVE US.

JESUS IS THE WAY INTO THE KINGDOM OF GOD.

#AcceptJesusToday

Based on this analogy, a lot can still happen even after the exams. We talk of re-marking, or cancelling of exams, or additional marks added, or even subtracted. Mind you, life is not an exam or test, it's just it- life
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by kokomilala(m): 1:31pm On May 01, 2022
It's just a ritual. There is no repentance after death. But God ,mysterious in His Ways and Graces,can inexplicably,forgive a soul.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by sonofelizabeth(m): 1:31pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:
Taking the dead to church and all that are mere religious Exercises

Praying for forgiveness after Death is a Complete and comprehensive waste of time and Strength.

Even if the Pope, Bishop , Reverned and Pastors combine together to bury or Pray for forgiveness of a dead person, it has nothing to do with the Eternal destination of the person.

Even if one is buried inside the Church, it means nothing.

Mercy Expires at Death. Immediately Death hits, it is Judgement! It is straight to Either of Heaven or Hell. The opportunity to repent is closed. There is no Repentance in the Grave.

What Matters for us all after Death is if we Believed & accepted JESUS CHRIST as our LORD and SAVIOR.
What matters is if we lived according to HIS Commandments given to us in HIS Word ( The HolyBible)
What matters is if our Names are in the book of life.

Are you God's spokesman?
There are things that only God knows and has control over! Our focus is to live a life worthy of salvation and even at that, non of us is worthy. We are redeemed by grace and not by works.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by matrixme(m): 1:33pm On May 01, 2022
All these people doing like they are God's P.A, they fully understand the mind of God. Afterall, The Bible said precious in the sight of God is the death of His saints. So taking a dead soul to church matters after death.
Though Mercy after death may not be possible, because the rich man begged for a second Chance to talk to his brothers to amend their ways, but was not granted.
Nevertheless, asking God for mercy of the souls of the dead is not a wasted prayer. I'll rather be taken to the Church when I'm dead, with prayers and Holy water administered on me, than a shrine, to have traditional rites done on me. I can't even fathom being an atheist dead, where poems will be read on my body. Tufiakwa!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by GreenCapitolTe(m): 1:38pm On May 01, 2022
We often hear that "what God cannot do, does not exist"

Leave God to decide whose sin to forgive after death or not. Prayer is good at all times. Praying for anyone who is dead is a good thing to do. But God will decide whether to accept the prayer or NOT. Don't decide for God.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Greenlandncom(m): 1:41pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

The mind of GOD is HIS Word which HE has given to all Humanity ( THE HOLY BIBLE)

Saying RIP and all that are mere religious exercises.
The Only people resting in Peace are those who Died having JESUS Christ as their Lord and Savior.
Any other person is lamenting and wailing in Hell Fire.
Do you have Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour?
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by BJanta: 1:45pm On May 01, 2022
Znation:
Good morning and happy new month nairalanders.

I will not be calling the name of any church, but why do some churches takes the deads to the church and pray for their sins to be forgiven before they are laid to rest?

Note, that most of this person are kept long in murtuary for months, and some even last up to years in the murtuary. But when it is time for their burial, they are first taken to the church for prayers. This prayer is mostly centered on asking God to forgive their sins and accep their souls into his kingdom (heaven).

My questions;

* Is taken dead bodies to the church good in the sight of God?

* Is the fate of the dead decided immidiately after death, or after they are burried?

* Can our sin be forgiven after death?

No to all your queries. But the dead have to be taken to the Church that he might be robbed of all the cash remaining him.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by phemmyfour: 1:45pm On May 01, 2022
It's share ignorance, prayers should be centers about the people he left behind
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by MMWandali: 1:47pm On May 01, 2022
Even those who type "RIP" to the obituaries or news of dead people are just wasting their time
All in vain!
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 01, 2022
Thestormisover:
you are not bigger than the church
Leave church of men.. he just told u the truth.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by silibaba: 1:48pm On May 01, 2022
Thestormisover:
you are not bigger than the church
don't mind the mofo.

claiming righteousness tomorrow now his sex tape too will leak on social media.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by KIDfurniture(m): 1:49pm On May 01, 2022
Casket inside church.. well I have never experienced one sha. Church must chop sha.. they don’t bring the dead into the church for free oh… family must pay certain fee…even the dead must not owe a dime oh. His or her church card must be marked good with all contribution and tithe for every month
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 01, 2022
chatinent:
That's all you noticed?

You no notice say pastor they say “he was a good man and he is resting in the hand side of God?” Meaning, Jesus don shift commot?
You too dey play grin
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by akpunda86: 1:58pm On May 01, 2022
Waylex21:

The case of Chimamanda is not related to the discussion.

Not related but catholic church sucks
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by jamp: 1:59pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

You better throw away that book. And read the HOLY Bible which is the Word of GOD

Why can you prove it was not part of the bible. Martin luther included it in the original books but was removed by his disciples.

Brother read and research. Dont just limit yourself to what mouka tells you.

You can start your research from here
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by President2001(m): 2:09pm On May 01, 2022
Nothing like forgiven sin after death they're not been praying for their forgiveness, but they are final respect in other to commit their love one to God
When a man die the next thing is judgement
No matter how you pray the case file of the dead person has been closed
#livinginchristisglorious#
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by DAIL(m): 2:17pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Praying for forgiveness after Death is a Complete and comprehensive waste of time and Strength.

Even if the Pope, Bishop , Reverned and Pastors combine together to bury or Pray for forgiveness of a dead person, it has nothing to do with the Eternal destination of the person.

Mercy Expires at Death. Immediately Death hits, it is Judgement! It is straight to Either of Heaven or Hell. The opportunity to repent is closed. There is no Repentance in the Grave.

What Matters for us all after Death is if we Believed & accepted JESUS CHRIST as our LORD and SAVIOR.
What matters is if we lived according to HIS Commandments given to us in HIS Word ( The HolyBible)
when you say they go straight to hell and heaven is your answer scriptural , the bible talk about rapture, how believers who sleep in Christ will raise first then they that are alive will be cutup and that the sea will give up those that are in it.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by twosquare(m): 2:31pm On May 01, 2022
All kinds of idiots on this platform sha...who think they know but yet know nothing.

God help us all. After the removal of the outward man or when the outward man falls (which most erroneously called death), mercy can still be granted and inside mercy is forgiveness.

If not, Christ wouldn't have preached to disobedient spirits in the pit/world of the dead, which is a prison yard (what most call hell) who refused God's salvation in the days of Noah (1 Peter 2:19-20).

So, after someone passes, mercy can be granted and forgiveness can be granted, depending on the state of the soul. God is not petty like some paint it here or keeps malice. However, that you are forgiven doesn't mean you won't receive your reward. That is what you should know.

It is foolish to live an ungodly life here because you don't know what you will do that will make you die the second death. And when you die the second death, you can't be forgiven, not because God can't forgive you, but because you yourself can never repent like Satan. Such people have become sons of perdition/disobedience like Satan who have the might to bear God's wrath.

Those who will be cast into the Lake of Fire in the Book of Revelations are those who have gotten to that state, not a soul, even though an unbeliever, can still respond to God.

The punishment of Judgement is the punishment of reward which is given to you for things done in the body (2 Corinthians 5:10). Reward is worse than hell if you fall short because the regret will stay with you for a long time (shame). When you are meant to rule over nations, you are given ghetto to stay.

Hell fire, as popularly called, is not the final destination, as worse as it is. The fada still dey come...that is why books were opened. The event where books were opened has not happened yet...it is to x-ray everyone with the second death and how far you've gone in it.

You will be surprised by those who will enter there...a cannabis smoker or some called sinners will even escape, while a supposedly religious person will enter because of something they have done to their souls.

It is oversabi to think it is when the outward man falls; that's when judgement starts really. It begins on earth. People don't have to wait till they get to heaven to receive most of the rewards. Some received it at a measure bodily (like Enoch, Elijah, Methuselah, Mehujael, Daniel, Paul, John the Divine, etc.). The reward is either life or the second death and some are already on the path of the second death.

Some inherited second death reward in the days of Jude (Jude 1:12) just as some will inherit life eternal bodily while still alive. Just look around you, people are being made hellish right here on earth, even in this our Nigeria, not to talk of other parts of the earth, and they are proud of it...i mean very proud...no remorse...

*Anyone who can still repent can be forgiven even after death, but one who can not be forgiven is someone whose soul don cross boundary and can no longer repent just like evil spirits and Satan, even though the person still dey earth.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 2:34pm On May 01, 2022
Jahlivesforever:
You don't criticize what you don't understand.
In the holy Mass which is the same sacrifice that Jesus offered on the Calvary, we ask God to please forgive our dead brother and Grant him heaven.

God cannot refuse the prayer of the church. That's is why Catholic faithful that they said mass for at death WILL NEVER EVER GO TO HELL.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]
This is actually a lie. What are you even saying? I'm Catholic too and I tell you several times that this is bullcrap. The prayers during burial mass are mainly for peaceful repose of the dead, and to console the bereaved family and it doesn't mean the dead person won't go to hell. It's the life we live that determines if we're going to heaven or hell. Please be guided so you don't make mistakes that might cost your soul
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by drololaaof: 2:35pm On May 01, 2022
It is a means to show off,to proof that we are religious even though the dead is wicked in lifetime, it is a means for priest and church to generate fund,what some church hes ask the family to pay or bring stones are mouth watering. But most importantly it is time to win souls to Christ
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Charly68: 2:44pm On May 01, 2022
Let me give you what God says : Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
- Singing , praying and preaching during burial is for the living not for the dead. May be the living will be able to repent before alarm blow that is why we take the dead to church but aside from this , it is just a ceremonial thing
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Mamijoh(f): 2:52pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

You better throw away that book. And read the HOLY Bible which is the Word of GOD
Thank you my dear

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by stephenponti(m): 2:53pm On May 01, 2022
Thestormisover:
can you read macc 12 44-45

He will tell you that maccabi isn't part of the bible.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by madgoat(m): 2:58pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Hahaha.... prove that there is heaven or hell.... have u seen it?
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Pepperoniq(m): 2:59pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Sir Don't Deceive yourself! Don't let anyone Deceive you.

The Merciful GOD now is a Judgemental GOD after Death.
The Lamb of GOD now is a Lion and terror after Death.
There is no Repentance after Death.
Make use of the opportunity now there is Life. Mercy Expires at Death.
The way you're going about dishing out this your preaching. Is like d Church have rip you apart kpatakpata.
You speak as if you know the mind of God.
Educate me more dear
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Pepperoniq(m): 3:02pm On May 01, 2022
InvertedHammer:

/
They take the corpses to churches for prayers because no human being understands God. Everyone is gambling hoping that something pays off at the end.

/
You speak wisdom...
Your Generation is blessed
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by bukatyne(f): 3:05pm On May 01, 2022
Znation:
Good morning and happy new month nairalanders.

I will not be calling the name of any church, but why do some churches takes the deads to the church and pray for their sins to be forgiven before they are laid to rest?

Note, that most of this person are kept long in murtuary for months, and some even last up to years in the murtuary. But when it is time for their burial, they are first taken to the church for prayers. This prayer is mostly centered on asking God to forgive their sins and accep their souls into his kingdom (heaven).

My questions;

* Is taken dead bodies to the church good in the sight of God?

* Is the fate of the dead decided immidiately after death, or after they are burried?

* Can our sin be forgiven after death?

@OP: just a ritual to create an order of service/event.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by bukatyne(f): 3:10pm On May 01, 2022
Jahlivesforever:
You don't criticize what you don't understand.
In the holy Mass which is the same sacrifice that Jesus offered on the Calvary, we ask God to please forgive our dead brother and Grant him heaven.

God cannot refuse the prayer of the church. That's is why Catholic faithful that they said mass for at death WILL NEVER EVER GO TO HELL.

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color]

It is appointed for man for die once, after that is judgement.

Even if all the religious leaders gather to pray for a dead man, the prayer is ineffectual.

Once someone is dead, that is the end of a chance to repent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ifeanyi, Paul Adefarasin's Wife Celebrates Him On His 58th Birthday / Don't Be Deceived, Everyone Has A Weakness / Signs A Person Loves Money Too Much

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.