Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,281 members, 7,829,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? (24284 Views)

Will GOD Forgive A Wicked Man/Woman Who Has Killed So Many Innocent People? / If We Ask For The Forgiveness Of God Before We Die, Will God Forgive us ? / Pastor Adeboye: “The Day My Ex Girlfriend Came To Me For Prayers" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Regex: 3:14pm On May 01, 2022
bukatyne:

It is appointed for man for die once, after that is judgement.

Even if all the religious leaders gather to pray for a dead man, the prayer is ineffectual.

Once someone is dead, that is the end of a chance to repent.

If say this truth till tomorrow, they will remain adamant.

I have come to the conclusion that it how they choose to deal with the pain that comes with death. They like to, even I will like to comfort my brain by lying to it that after praying when someone is already dead, God will receive the person in heaven.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by SocialJustice: 3:16pm On May 01, 2022
Znation

* Is taken dead bodies to the church good in the sight of God?
God does not care, like you pointed out the body went to the morgue first and spent a lot of time there. The bible even says after death comes judgement. Like, it happens immediately the person dies. If the deceased had a dying wish of church burial though, then it is important their wish is followed. There could be consequences if their will is disobeyed. Could not must.

* Is the fate of the dead decided immidiately after death, or after they are burried?
I already answered this. Judgment happens immediately after death, those going to hell and heaven step into it the moment they leave their body.

* Can our sin be forgiven after death?
Yes, but it will take special non human intervention. It is better a person makes themself right with God or whatever they believe in here on earth before they transcend. Once they transcend, they loose discretionary ability with their body. They become unable to make the decision, not entirely though, some of them make the decision when self realisation hits them in the face few seconds after what we call death. This is the time frame in which some clinically dead people decide to return to life.

Humans do not die, we only transcend. We get so attached to our physical bodies that we forget we are not our bodies but the spirit living in the body. Our physical body is only a loan from the earth so we can come here and experience earth, once we are done, we pay the loan back to the earth and leave.

The state in which we leave is what the Bible tried to describe as heaven and hell. Hell is not hell fire, it is so much more, there is nothing like hell fire. If a person believes while on earth that there is hell fire and they carry that guilt in their heart that if they die they will go to hell fire, when transcendence comes, depending on how strong their visualisation of hell fire is in their mind, straight to that hell fire. All those that believe in such nonsense will experience it.

Same applies to heaven. Believe you will make heaven no matter the sort of life you lived here, God is ever merciful.

Jesus explained these things in excess but still we will rather copy the world and not copy Jesus. It is the reason Jesus said the poor will always be with us, He was referring to unbelievers.

Many eternal masters have come to earth through many religions to unify all of humanity to God but we will rather focus on the physical. We think everything is about science, money, sex, religion and all the nonsense our body and life tells us.

Earth is like an amusement park for spirits, when a spirit comes here as a baby, they forget their eternal side and start learning and gathering information from the earth, forming them into the adults they become. This is where education destroys everything, education starts telling us all sorts of lies and because the people we look up to as children and even adults believe the lies, it reinforces it in our minds.

When we die, that spirit comes out with the memory it had before it entered into a body. The memory and all the nonsense information life throws at us while on earth dies with our physical bodies.

Heaven and Hell is not a geographical location, it is a state of mind. If you die happy, straight to heaven. If you die with fear and anxiety, straight to hell.

This is the reason God wants us to always be happy no matter the situation we find ourselves. Our state of living a blissful life on earth determines where we go after transcending.

I do not expect you to believe all that I have written here but ask your questions. Do not ask me questions to argue with me because I will know and end the conversation but if you ask me a genuine question from the bottom of your heart, I will also know and will answer your questions.

Thank you.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Ifeanyicosta(m): 3:16pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:
Taking the dead to church and all that are mere religious Exercises

Praying for forgiveness after Death is a Complete and comprehensive waste of time and Strength.

Even if the Pope, Bishop , Reverned and Pastors combine together to bury or Pray for forgiveness of a dead person, it has nothing to do with the Eternal destination of the person.

Even if one is buried inside the Church, it means nothing.

Mercy Expires at Death. Immediately Death hits, it is Judgement! It is straight to Either of Heaven or Hell. The opportunity to repent is closed. There is no Repentance in the Grave.

What Matters for us all after Death is if we Believed & accepted JESUS CHRIST as our LORD and SAVIOR.
What matters is if we lived according to HIS Commandments given to us in HIS Word ( The HolyBible)
What matters is if our Names are in the book of life.
Food don land
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by FearGod1r(m): 3:16pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Praying for forgiveness after Death is a Complete and comprehensive waste of time and Strength.

Even if the Pope, Bishop , Reverned and Pastors combine together to bury or Pray for forgiveness of a dead person, it has nothing to do with the Eternal destination of the person.

Mercy Expires at Death. Immediately Death hits, it is Judgement! It is straight to Either of Heaven or Hell. The opportunity to repent is closed. There is no Repentance in the Grave.

What Matters for us all after Death is if we Believed & accepted JESUS CHRIST as our LORD and SAVIOR.
What matters is if we lived according to HIS Commandments given to us in HIS Word ( The HolyBible)
Let he that as an ear let him hear

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by irichy100(m): 3:16pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Well said!
The bible makes us to understand that it's appointed unto man once to die and after that judgement.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by FearGod1r(m): 3:18pm On May 01, 2022
hopefulLandlord:
There's no god and there's no sin
Give your life to Christ before it is too late
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by NonnyDot(m): 3:18pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

See wetin I wan run. I will commit the whole atrocities. When I am tired, I will accept the God as lord and personal saviour. Then die and go to heaven expressily
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Helenlo: 3:24pm On May 01, 2022
Dead is praying for dead
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by FearGod1r(m): 3:26pm On May 01, 2022
Thestormisover:
Our God is a mercifull God. Even at death, God is still merciful to our soul.
No that is not what the scripture says, the scripture says THERE WILL BE NO MERCY ON JUDGMENT DAY...THAT IS THE PURPOSE WHY GOD SEND HIS SON JESUS TO COME DIE FOR OUR SINS
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by lilije(f): 3:28pm On May 01, 2022
Well, I don't see it as prayer for the dead but a moment of reflection for the living. If you have attended such services or masses, you will realize that the living is being addressed and preached to than the dead. Prayers are also said for the deseased family.

Aside from this, it's also a way of honouring the dead too. Just imagine, digging up a hole to dump corpses or dumping them in the bush as if they have no one. Even Muslims say prayers before they bury someone
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by LaconicINC: 3:28pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

well said bro!

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Bunnatex(m): 3:32pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Sir Don't Deceive yourself! Don't let anyone Deceive you.

The Merciful GOD now is a Judgemental GOD after Death.
The Lamb of GOD now is a Lion and terror after Death.
There is no Repentance after Death.
Make use of the opportunity now there is Life. Mercy Expires at Death.

Oga shut the Bleep up.
Are you now creating God? Are giving him a rule to follow? Remember He's the one in Charge and does what he like. If he wants to raise a sinner to heaven, you or I or anyone can do nothing about it .

Stop creating God with your bitter and vindictive spirit.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Judybash93(m): 3:33pm On May 01, 2022
hopefulLandlord:
There's no god and there's no sin
Straight up
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by FearGod1r(m): 3:34pm On May 01, 2022
Thestormisover:
you are not bigger than the church
He Is not saying he's bigger than the church...the truth is bitter just believe in the word of God , the Holy Bible is the word of God don't let any man decieve you that there's another book that contains the word of God that can lead you to Life eternity..
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by AlongCamePollie(m): 3:35pm On May 01, 2022
Winters23:
grin

This question is laughable because what is dead is not alive anywhere else.

Death is the opposite of life, the end of it all!

Before we were born we weren't existing anywhere and when we die we sieze to exist.

Religion need their followers to believe the afterlife because that's the only way to guarantee the free flow of money to live their luxurious lifestyle.

With constant threat of eternity in hellfire they bend the gullible to do their bidding.

Well, I like to think of death not as the "opposite" of life, but the mere "absence" of life. Death seems more the opposite of birth. The way I see it, death exists simply because there is life. The non-existence of (conception and, ultimately,) birth, which usually ushers in life as we know it, would necessarily mean that there would not be death to mark the end, and therefore, the absence, of life, which itself was ushered in by birth in the first place. I hope this is not too deep, even though it fails to address the OP's pertinent questions. I have just contributed my own little understanding to a part of your submission. Bravo!
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by brainhgeek(m): 3:37pm On May 01, 2022
Waylex21:

But the same Bible talks of mercy trumping judgement in James. 2:13. Is that not a contradiction then?

It is not a contradiction. That letter of Paul to the church was addressing judgement and favoritism in the church. It was addressing interpersonal relationship and fairness in the church. We should be careful of lifting a verse to justify our assumptions which are not scriptural. Mercy after death is a concept Jesus never mentioned. The only time the dead got mercy was when He died and went to sheol to.liberate those help captive, leading captivity captive and what qualified those dead as at the time was that they didn't hear the gospel before He came and no one gets to the Father except through the Son.
Indeed, no one has been judged worthy of heaven yet or condemned to the lake of fire. Everyone still awaits the day of judgement. Every dead person is in the grave, either in paradise (where the faithful departed await judgement) or hell (where the unfaithful Dead await judgement. It is not the same place as the lake of fire)
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by FearGod1r(m): 3:39pm On May 01, 2022
Winters23:
grin

This question is laughable because what is dead is not alive anywhere else.

Death is the opposite of life, the end of it all!

Before we were born we weren't existing anywhere and when we die we sieze to exist.

Religion need their followers to believe the afterlife because that's the only way to guarantee the free flow of money to live their luxurious lifestyle.

With constant threat of eternity in hellfire they bend the gullible to do their bidding.
It is not so, There's God, there's Hell, there's Heaven. Just believe and keep his commandment , you will never regret it don't let the devil cast a stumbling block BTW you and your God.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by a2d3rew(m): 3:43pm On May 01, 2022
Our church are not doing such, but I have seen many churches are doing this,
It's just a wish, after that, only what u do In the world will save u, there's nothing lake forgiveness after Dead,
Go to paradise for ur good doing, go to Hades for the wrong doing.
Before Jesus will come and reward everyone according to what u do.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 01, 2022
paxonel:
it is an indication that the person believed in Christ before he died, therefore he is saved
please read the write up well
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by OBJlive: 4:02pm On May 01, 2022
The content of the prayer does not realy matter but acknwledgement of the existence of God.Moreover churches that do it,do so for their members whom they know as believer while alive.Even Jesus prayed for lazarus in the gospel of John,and of course an only son of his mother who does not even know Jesus while Alive.people should stop deciding for God who to forgive or not.
Those who claim that live ends at death
are ignorant of spiritual insights exposed in the bible .At transfiguration Moses and Elijah (who were Jesus's spiritual Ancestors were discussing with him ).Jesus heard them speak and his deciples saw them
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Tonynelson(m): 4:08pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

You better throw away that book. And read the HOLY Bible which is the Word of GOD

Why would he throw away part of the Bible? Una d funny person sometimes. Read the verse first oga
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Greyworld: 4:20pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

You better throw away that book. And read the HOLY Bible which is the Word of GOD

To each his own. Dont EVER tell any body what book to read or not. If you were born in far away middle east you would definitely be a Muslims now and wont see nothing wrong with it.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Righteousness2(m): 4:28pm On May 01, 2022
Let me sound it Clearly in your ears and eyes, so you won't say I didn't hear or u didn't know.
THROW AWAY THAT BOOK and get the HOLYBIBLE.
That is the Book that will be used to determine your fate in Eternity.
Without JESUS Christ , there is no hope for you or anyone in Eternity! It is straight to Hell Fire!
If you like , accept!
If you like , refuse!
At the appointed time, you will understand what u did to yourself.

Greyworld:

To each his own. Dont EVER tell any body what book to read or not. If you were born in far away middle east you would definitely be a Muslims now and wont see nothing wrong with it.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by goshee: 5:01pm On May 01, 2022
Righteousness2:

Prayers generally doesn't change situations not to talk of praying for a dead body.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Righteousness2(m): 5:11pm On May 01, 2022
goshee:
[s]Prayers generally doesn't change situations [/s]not to talk of praying for a dead body.
Only a being who lacks wisdom, knowledge and understanding will utter the bold words .

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Bbbw: 6:06pm On May 01, 2022
Well
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by Waylex21(m): 6:10pm On May 01, 2022
We all seem to have forgotten this Bible passage:

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, because they formerly did not obey, when God’s patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water. (1 Pet. 3:18–20)

Meaning, salvation is still possible after death. It means as well that if it happened once, it can happen again.

After death comes judgement was the writer to the Hebrews quoting Old Testament belief. Even Apostle Paul mentioned that Christians of his day were baptising on behalf of the dead (I Cor.15:29). It means that there is the belief that the fate of the dead can still be changed.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by SweetDipBenny(m): 6:24pm On May 01, 2022
Dunno if d will make it but it's worth d try. After all he's a merciful God and he said we sud ask for anything
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by meobizy(f): 6:25pm On May 01, 2022
Most mainstream religions pray for the dead. I guess it’s to aid a smooth passing to the afterlife.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by SweetDipBenny(m): 6:25pm On May 01, 2022
Dunno if d will make it but it's worth d try. After all he's a merciful God and he said we sud ask for anything.
Re: Why Are The Dead Taken To Church For Prayers; Does God Forgive Sins After Death? by cherishmichael: 6:31pm On May 01, 2022
Romans 6; 23 For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord.
Bringing the dead into a place where you claim to be the house of God is unclean and very detestable to Both God and man, human are just full of disobeying God's law, why?...
Numbers 9:6
6Now there were men who had become unclean by touching a dead body, so that they were not able to prepare the Passover sacrifice on that day. So those men presented themselves before Moses and Aaron on that day, 7 and said to him: “We are unclean because of touching a dead body. Why should we be kept from presenting the offering to Jehovah at its appointed time among the Israelites?” 8 At this Moses said to them: “Wait there, and let me hear what Jehovah may command regarding you.” 9 Then Jehovah said to Moses: 10 “Tell the Israelites, ‘Although any man among you or of your future generations should become unclean by touching a dead body or should be off on a distant journey, he must still prepare the Passover sacrifice to Jehovah

Numbers 19:11
11Anyone touching any dead person will be unclean for seven days. 12 Such one should purify himself with the water on the third day, and on the seventh day he will be clean. But if he does not purify himself on the third day, on the seventh day he will not be clean. 13 Everyone who touches the corpse of any dead person and does not purify himself has defiled Jehovah’s tabernacle, and that person must be cut off from Israel. Because the water for cleansing has not been sprinkled on him, he continues unclean. His uncleanness remains upon him.
If the dead body is unclean why then should it be brought inside the so claimed house of God, when only by touching it makes one unclean

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do People Find It Difficult To Pay TITHES? / Seven Things To Expect In A Real Godly Relationship / Submission Is Not Weakness - Pastor David Ibiyeomie (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.