Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa - Programming (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (126425 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) / Alx africa vs Udemy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:14pm On Jul 01, 2022
andyboi4real:
I finally decided to dropout of Alx. I just didn’t have enough time to juggle doing Alx, learning JavaScript, completing my introduction to computer science course by Harvard and work. It’s been a nice experience though, I learnt a lot. Anybody has an Idea if Scores are transferable to subsequent cohort.

Oh my... I keep saying it!
You can't multitasking while doing alx SE program. Even if you do, you won't be able to learn much because of time and workloads. You can always reapply when you're done with others.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:19pm On Jul 01, 2022
When I told you the struggle is real!!! I was damn serious bruh. Just knowing how to print "Hello World" on C won't make you pass the project, it is more than that. But then again, there are enough materials sent to us by ALX to prepare for the projects. I just can't give up

And it seems alx would be dropping people on the 15th of this month, I can't afford to be one of the victims! I'm just juggling between work and programming.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:28pm On Jul 01, 2022
For anyone who is currently in the program or about to start and you're going through challenges that keeps discouraging you to quit, please always reference that David video (The guy who got job offers from three companies but picked Amazon)

Watch it!
Imagine yourself in his position in a year time!
You can do it! Yes you can!
Do you know why I believe his every words? Because of the type of projects we're given, I will show a screenshot now.

ALX has provided great materials that yay need to pass, all you have to do is read them, take notes, do the projects. If you have any challenges, meet your colleagues after going through your notes.

I know we are still in the first month but I have made it this far without a laptop. I don't have a laptop, I use my phone for the projects, sometimes, I use my office laptop if necessary. But lately, it's just been my phone alone. I know there will come a time when I will need a laptop to build projects, but I'm just going to be optimistic about it and keep pushing forward.

Below are what the projects look like...

5 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:29pm On Jul 01, 2022

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Tobedated(m): 1:32am On Jul 02, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
keep the morale high bro i'm rooting for you.
i'm following a different bootcamp but will we both get to our goal. no retreat nor surrender.
aluta continua

3 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Emmyxclusive: 7:03am On Jul 02, 2022
Tobedated:

keep the morale high bro i'm rooting for you.

i'm following a different bootcamp but will we both get to our goal.
no retreat nor surrender.

aluta continua
thanks for giving us a glimpse of what the project looks like. I think if someone do proper research the problems can be solved. Looking at that c problem, I already know how to implement it in python. The procedure are similar just different syntax. Thanks again anonymous.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Technerdguy: 6:07pm On Jul 02, 2022
For the very first time since I started alx SE program, I missed a deadline and I couldn't get a single task correctly. All thanks to Betty because she has become a pain in the ass. Betty would complain literally about everything, whitespaces, etc. Like some folks said in Slack that Betty seeks a lot of attention to herself grin
But I will not give up. I have gone back to the drawing board to restrategize. cool
Thanks Anonymous6o6 for responding to my mail.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:47am On Jul 03, 2022
Technerdguy:
For the very first time since I started alx SE program, I missed a deadline and I couldn't get a single task correctly. All thanks to Betty because she has become a pain in the ass. Betty would complain literally about everything, whitespaces, etc. Like some folks said in Slack that Betty seeks a lot of attention to herself grin
But I will not give up. I have gone back to the drawing board to restrategize. cool
Thanks Anonymous6o6 for responding to my mail.

Anytime
Betty hasn't frustrated me much but then again it's thanks to my colleagues.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 9:51am On Jul 03, 2022
Emmyxclusive:
thanks for giving us a glimpse of what the project looks like. I think if someone do proper research the problems can be solved. Looking at that c problem, I already know how to implement it in python. The procedure are similar just different syntax. Thanks again anonymous.

I seriously like your optimism
This new week will be focused on debugging, functions and loops.

Next week will be eviction week, I assume.

5 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lathas(m): 7:54pm On Jul 03, 2022
@anonymous6o6,when is the deadline for alx Africa course on software engineering? I don't have a PC now but am planning on getting one soon to get started with the course,thanks.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 7:49am On Jul 04, 2022
Lathas:
@anonymous6o6,when is the deadline for alx Africa course on software engineering? I don't have a PC now but am planning on getting one soon to get started with the course,thanks.

I'm not here because the next batch is starting on August so you probably have till this month
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Odogwu002: 12:44pm On Jul 04, 2022
I followed this thread and I think it's time to comment, Tracy you have done a very good job. Thank you!

Another thing I will love to add for you to note is, instead of writing out the command lines on your book, why not get a NOTION account and store all of them there for easy access and you will not lose any of them. You have to be vigilant.

I am starting the ALX program in August and I must say I am ready for them. I have gotten everything in place and more. I am already exposed to frontend development and I think it's a good time to run this through.

CC: @Anonymous6o6

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 2:24pm On Jul 04, 2022
Odogwu002:
I followed this thread and I think it's time to comment, Tracy you have done a very good job. Thank you!

Another thing I will love to add for you to note is, instead of writing out the command lines on your book, why not get a NOTION account and store all of them there for easy access and you will not lose any of them. You have to be vigilant.

I am starting the ALX program in August and I must say I am ready for them. I have gotten everything in place and more. I am already exposed to frontend development and I think it's a good time to run this through.

CC: @Anonymous6o6

Thanks for the advice
I will open a Notion account as per said.

I'm also thinking of writing an article on git and github because during the projects, it frustrated a lot of people and made some quit.

And for the August batch, I recommend you try Sololearn app. You are able to learn and practice C programming language. Especially good for those without laptops.

embarassedI don't have a laptop so I have been using it to progress just fine

3 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Odogwu002: 3:02pm On Jul 04, 2022
Thanks so much for the recommendation.
For more clarification, (SORRY FOR THIS QUESTION).

I have seen a lot of people on this thread say do this and that, but I am not quite where to start and prepare tho.

What should I start to learn first (I MEAN VERY FIRST THING TO LEARN TO SURVIVE THE 1ST MONTH), is it possible for you to just run a list on it. I can rumble around and get great tools to prepare, I have quit my job and everything to focus on only this school. I am certain I will not guard down.

PS: I already have a roadmap for survival till the next 12 month lol so don't worry. Is better to invest and let of everything and focus for better result. As a matter of fact I am quitting so many things from next month 1st.

Anonymous6o6:

Thanks for the advice

I'm also thinking of writing an article on git and github because during the projects, it frustrated a lot of people and made some quit.

And for the August batch, I recommend you try Sololearn app. You are able to learn and practice C programming language. Especially good for those without laptops.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Odogwu002: 3:09pm On Jul 04, 2022
Also if you are in Lagos, I don't mind giving you a free desktop in the office with Light and Data to use anytime you wish to do your assignment, I have a friend who owns a cyber cafe and he is willing to help, I just talked to him about you now.

Anonymous6o6:

Thanks for the advice

4 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 5:14pm On Jul 04, 2022
Odogwu002:
Thanks so much for the recommendation.
For more clarification, (SORRY FOR THIS QUESTION).

I have seen a lot of people on this thread say do this and that, but I am not quite where to start and prepare tho.

What should I start to learn first (I MEAN VERY FIRST THING TO LEARN TO SURVIVE THE 1ST MONTH), is it possible for you to just run a list on it. I can rumble around and get great tools to prepare, I have quit my job and everything to focus on only this school. I am certain I will not guard down.

PS: I already have a roadmap for survival till the next 12 month lol so don't worry. Is better to invest and let of everything and focus for better result. As a matter of fact I am quitting so many things from next month 1st.

Although you will be start with basic projects about mindset and community.

These are the ones you should start learning now
- Emacs
- Vi (also known as vim)
- Basic Shell (the Commands)
- Git and GitHub

For Emacs, Shell, and Vi, you need to focus on the commands because you will be using them while you do your projects. No need to download them, you can either practice with Vs code or your terminal.

Git and GitHub are very essential because git will be used to track your code and make changes if necessary while GitHub is used to host all your projects. Not gonna lie, git project WILL frustrate you but if you overcome it, you will have great insight about it.

Once you're done with please use all your energy to focus on C because they is a lot to learn but little time.

3 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 5:27pm On Jul 04, 2022
Odogwu002:
Also if you are in Lagos, I don't mind giving you a free desktop in the office with Light and Data to use anytime you wish to do your assignment, I have a friend who owns a cyber cafe and he is willing to help, I just talked to him about you now.

I'm seriously grateful for your kind gesture.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Odogwu002: 11:06am On Jul 05, 2022
Thank you so much @Anonymous6o6, I appreciate the insight.
I already know Git and Github, but I am more concerned about Emacs, VI, Shell, & C.

With pleasure, I will really appreciate it if you could push up the recommended books on Emacs, VI, Shell & C to me. You can do this whenever you are available and free. Or maybe just drop the links from the main intranet dashboard for me to download all of them and the video links. I hope this isn't stressful for you.

I am really preparing ahead, I have all the time!
Please help, God bless you!

Anonymous6o6:

- Emacs
- Vi (also known as vim)
- Git and GitHub

For Emacs, Shell, and Vi, you need to focus on the commands because you will be using them while you do your projects. No need to download them, you can either practice with Vs code or your terminal.

Git and GitHub are very essential because git will be used to track your code and make changes if necessary while GitHub is used to host all your projects. Not gonna lie, git project WILL frustrate you but if you overcome it, you will have great insight about it.

Once you're done with please use all your energy to focus on C because they is a lot to learn but little time.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Odogwu002: 11:12am On Jul 05, 2022
I am asking because I do not want to go through any tutorial HELL, jumping from one tutorial to another without any achievement, so it is better to just follow the first main recommended books or tutorial from ALX directly and when you are done with their own you ca can go ahead and make some personal research, I believe you understand me.

Anonymous6o6:

- Emacs
- Vi (also known as vim)
- Git and GitHub

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Savagr(m): 12:03pm On Jul 05, 2022
Ebube043:
let me volunteer, ebubechiufomba@gmail.com
hello
I sent you a mail
Please reply
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by learning22: 12:50pm On Jul 05, 2022
@Anonymous6o6 and others.

Please I need your help on this.

It happened that I applied for ALX Africa program in which my cohort was to start in the month of June.

I have done all the preliminary tasks needed to onboard for the program. But unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control, I could not start the program on that day.

I just got a login to my email now to discover several messages by ALX. I really know that I have missed a lot and I doubt I can meet up with all the assignment if I'm to start now owing to the deadline of each task.

I learnt a cohort will be onboarding by August, Is there any thing that can be done for me to be a part do this cohort?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Kedro(m): 5:51pm On Jul 05, 2022
learning22:

I learnt a cohort will be onboarding by August, Is there any thing that can be done for me to be a part do this cohort?
just reapply with a different email, you'll be accepted again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 11:31pm On Jul 05, 2022
learning22:

It happened that I applied for ALX Africa program in which my cohort was to start in the month of June.

I have done all the preliminary tasks needed to onboard for the program. But unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control, I could not start the program on that day.

I just got a login to my email now to discover several messages by ALX. I really know that I have missed a lot and I doubt I can meet up with all the assignment if I'm to start now owing to the deadline of each task.

You can reapply with another email

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 11:34pm On Jul 05, 2022
Odogwu002:
Thank you so much @Anonymous6o6, I appreciate the insight.
I already know Git and Github, but I am more concerned about Emacs, VI, Shell, & C.

With pleasure, I will really appreciate it if you could push up the recommended books on Emacs, VI, Shell & C to me. You can do this whenever you are available and free. Or maybe just drop the links from the main intranet dashboard for me to download all of them and the video links. I hope this isn't stressful for you.

I am really preparing ahead, I have all the time!
Please help, God bless you!

Actually an ALX group was created for those that will be resuming on August. I usually post materials from alx in there. You can send your number to be added there or send me your Whatsapp number so that I will send you the materials.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Odogwu002: 2:53am On Jul 06, 2022
I sent my number to that email and I have not gotten any response

Anonymous6o6:

Actually an ALX group was created for those that will be resuming on August. I usually post materials from alx in there. You can send your number to be added there or send me your Whatsapp number so that I will send you the materials.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Elxandre(m): 4:32am On Jul 06, 2022
Glad to find the thread.
Scared of the 70 hours weekly requirement though as I have to work for some hours daily.
Do I have to be online at certain times or I could just choose when to come online daily?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 7:50am On Jul 06, 2022
Honestly I'm no longer conscious of date and time. The only days I ever look forward to is the Peer learning days(PLD) because it's like a spare time to study more and review previous projects.

Yesterday's rain really stressed me out and increased my work, I couldn't find time to study and the little time I had wasn't enough. Got home late and slept off with the thought of waking up by 3am to study and do my projects. Instead, I woke up by 6am, Omo I just tiya.

It was even worst because I missed the first project deadline, but there's a second deadline which would end in three days. Might sound like a good thing but my score will be reduced from 100% to 65%!

As if that wasn't enough, I checked my email today and saw a message from the SE team. It was a reminder that they would be dropping people on 15th of this month. Those who didn't make up to 80% and here I am getting my score reduced. Since morning I have been on YouTube, geeks4geeks, reading and taking notes. Yesterday's project was a no joke oh.

A lot of people I know couldn't finish because of the requirements for the project. I plan to go to work late as long as I achieve my aim.

Please August cohort, it would really sadden me that anyone of you would follow this thread and end up dropping out. This was the reason why a group was created, read ahead!! There won't be enough time because there is much to cover. Please help yourselves.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Technerdguy: 8:10am On Jul 06, 2022
Elxandre:
Glad to find the thread.
Scared of the 70 hours weekly requirement though as I have to work for some hours daily.
Do I have to be online at certain times or I could just choose when to come online daily?
Well, it depends on what works for you. But I bet you that the 70 hrs a week or 10 hrs daily is little to finish consuming the voluminous resources/material alx will be sending you in a day and doing your projects, especially if you are new to programming.

Each project have it deadline, some have 24hrs while others have 2 to 5 days and others weeks. Normally, projects start 6:00 am and terminate 6:00 am the following day.

So like I said earlier on, it depends on how you manage your time.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Technerdguy: 8:23am On Jul 06, 2022
August Cohorts, download this book from pdfdrive, study it along side with other materials already mentioned.
This particular book will help you a lot in your shell basic projects and mastery of your command line.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Technerdguy: 8:32am On Jul 06, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
Honestly I'm no longer conscious of date and time. The only days I ever look forward to is the Peer learning days(PLD) because it's like a spare time to study more and review previous projects.

Yesterday's rain really stressed me out and increased my work, I couldn't find time to study and the little time I had wasn't enough. Got home late and slept off with the thought of waking up by 3am to study and do my projects. Instead, I woke up by 6am, Omo I just tiya.

It was even worst because I missed the first project deadline, but there's a second deadline which would end in three days. Might sound like a good thing but my score will be reduced from 100% to 65%!

As if that wasn't enough, I checked my email today and saw a message from the SE team. It was a reminder that they would be dropping people on 15th of this month. Those who didn't make up to 80% and here I am getting my score reduced. Since morning I have been on YouTube, geeks4geeks, reading and taking notes. Yesterday's project was a no joke oh.

A lot of people I know couldn't finish because of the requirements for the project. I plan to go to work late as long as I achieve my aim.

Please August cohort, it would really sadden me that anyone of you would follow this thread and end up dropping out. This was the reason why a group was created, read ahead!! There won't be enough time because there is much to cover. Please help yourselves.

I can feel your pain, alx is not a joke. I have been up since 1am but couldn't finished up with my tasks.

I have never attended any PLD yet. Is either nobody is in the group or you can't find your peers after dropping call notice on Slack for them.

PS: if you can attempt the advanced tasks and get them correctly, it will boost your points.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Geofavor(m): 7:40am On Jul 07, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
For anyone who is currently in the program or about to start and you're going through challenges that keeps discouraging you to quit, please always reference that David video (The guy who got job offers from three companies but picked Amazon)

Watch it!
Imagine yourself in his position in a year time!
You can do it! Yes you can!
Do you know why I believe his every words? Because of the type of projects we're given, I will show a screenshot now.

ALX has provided great materials that yay need to pass, all you have to do is read them, take notes, do the projects. If you have any challenges, meet your colleagues after going through your notes.

I know we are still in the first month but I have made it this far without a laptop. I don't have a laptop, I use my phone for the projects, sometimes, I use my office laptop if necessary. But lately, it's just been my phone alone. I know there will come a time when I will need a laptop to build projects, but I'm just going to be optimistic about it and keep pushing forward.

Below are what the projects look like...
How are you using your phone to code?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by tidymenow: 8:16am On Jul 07, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (41) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.