Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,219 members, 7,811,611 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:38 PM

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa - Programming (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (126550 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) / Alx africa vs Udemy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by SWEAbim: 6:10pm On Aug 21, 2022
Relax! You should get the message within the next 24hrs.

RICHMAN247:
I completed my registration of the Alx since morning till this moment I have not received any congratulations to know if I've been admitted. How long will I wait before receiving my admitted message via my email?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by sanmisamuel: 6:15pm On Aug 21, 2022
SWEAbim:
You know after ALX, the sandbox won't be available, so why not start getting familiar with the tools/softwares you'll work with in the real world.

The sandbox web terminal is the closest thing to a Linux terminal, Would recommend any beginner to start with it. Downloading third party app is not a hard thing, it is over-do. You want to finish the program, not burn yourself out. Learn, read to solve the problems in front of you, ask questions that you don't understand. you will be fine. All the best

3 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by RICHMAN247(m): 6:16pm On Aug 21, 2022
Alright
SWEAbim:
Relax! You should get the message within the next 24hrs.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Sapeleboy911(m): 6:34pm On Aug 21, 2022
sanmisamuel:

The sandbox web terminal is the closest thing to a Linux terminal, Would recommend any beginner to start with it. Downloading third-party app is not a hard thing, it is over-do. You want to finish the program, not burn yourself out. Learn, read to solve the problems in front of you, and ask questions that you don't understand. you will be fine. All the best

The web term terminal is slow, unresponsive, and frustrating sooner or later you will get to clone your sandbox to either termux on your phone or wsl on your windows PC in order for you to do your tasks. I'm talking from experience. I recommend new cohorts to install termux and familiarise themselves with the shell, vim, and emacs even before the program starts. This will give you a good head start when the program commences.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by RICHMAN247(m): 1:02pm On Aug 22, 2022
Congratulations to me.

I've been accepted into the Alx 12 months software engineering program and I'm to start on the 19 September, 2022. What are the necessary things I must put in place to prepare me for the On boarding. Meanwhile, I have two laptops, constant solar light. What else do I need? Thanks
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Newusername(m): 1:49pm On Aug 22, 2022
RICHMAN247:
Congratulations to me.

I've been accepted into the Alx 12 months software engineering program and I'm to start on the 19 September, 2022. What are the necessary things I must put in place to prepare me for the On boarding. Meanwhile, I have two laptops, constant solar light. What else do I need? Thanks

You need a BURNING DESIRE to continue when you feel like giving up.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Newusername(m): 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2022
Sapeleboy911:

The web term terminal is slow, unresponsive, and frustrating sooner or later you will get to clone your sandbox to either termux on your phone or wsl on your windows PC in order for you to do your tasks. I'm talking from experience. I recommend new cohorts to install termux and familiarise themselves with the shell, vim, and emacs even before the program starts. This will give you a good head start when the program commences.

The web terminal will only respond on how well your network is strong. The web terminal will be slow and unresponsive if you have a slow or bad network, have good and strong network and you will enjoy the web terminal.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by RICHMAN247(m): 2:52pm On Aug 22, 2022
I don't easily give up on something no matter how difficult it is. Burning desire is my talent.
Newusername:

You need a BURNING DESIRE to continue when you feel like giving up.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Mimicle101: 6:25pm On Aug 22, 2022
RICHMAN247:
Congratulations to me.

We are on the same 19th september.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Sapeleboy911(m): 8:08pm On Aug 22, 2022
Newusername:

The web terminal will only respond on how well your network is strong. The web terminal will be slow and unresponsive if you have a slow or bad network, have good and strong network and you will enjoy the web terminal.

The fact is you need termux on your phone. Have you tried accessing the web terminal from your phone at all. No need for unnecessary argument, my advice to new cohorts is install termux on your phone you will need it. Experience they say is the best teacher.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Newusername(m): 8:50pm On Aug 22, 2022
Sapeleboy911:

The fact is you need termux on your phone. Have you tried accessing the web terminal from your phone at all. No need for unnecessary argument, my advice to new cohorts is install termux on your phone you will need it. Experience they say is the best teacher.

Termux or not. I only stated what happens to the web terminal if you have a strong or bad network which I concluded from what I observed. I no dey help you argue anything or drag land with you. Na you know who vex you, go settle scores with person.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Newusername(m): 8:51pm On Aug 22, 2022
RICHMAN247:

I don't easily give up on something no matter how difficult it is. Burning desire is my talent.
I hear.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by SWEAbim: 9:27pm On Aug 22, 2022
Congratulations on being ALX accepted.

A group is being put together for preparation for the new cohorts of ALX SE, if you're interested join with this link:

https://chat. whatsapp. com/GZZdgFUDJnd2D8FY2AWEYd

I broke the link so I can paste it here. So copy it & paste somewhere else then close the gaps inbetween to make the link click-through.

RICHMAN247:
Congratulations to me.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Sapeleboy911(m): 10:14pm On Aug 22, 2022
Newusername:

Termux or not. I only stated what happens to the web terminal if you have a strong or bad network which I concluded from what I observed. I no dey help you argue anything or drag land with you. Na you know who vex you, go settle scores with person.

You think like a KID.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Newusername(m): 7:43am On Aug 23, 2022
Sapeleboy911:

You think like a KID.

When you are done angry, you will stop the mentions. Mr Adult.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by ajerimitan: 11:40am On Aug 23, 2022
Hi Tracy, my working terminals don't display what I am typing at the moment I am typing it. It will only display what I have typed after o run it or press enter. So I type almost invisibly until I press enter or double click on the terminal. Why can't it display what I am typing as I am typing it especially the web terminal. Thank you.
Anonymous6o6:

But the procedure is quite simple

Download Termux
Copy your ssh link on your sandbox and paste on your termux, it will request for a password
Go back to your sandbox and copy the sandbox and paste on termux

Then you will be allowed in to do your tasks
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by ajerimitan: 11:45am On Aug 23, 2022
Hi Tracy, my working terminals don't display what I am typing at the moment I am typing it. It will only display what I have typed after o run it or press enter. So I type almost invisibly until I press enter or double click on the terminal. Why can't it display what I am typing as I am typing it especially the web terminal. Thank you
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Sapeleboy911(m): 3:26pm On Aug 23, 2022
ajerimitan:
Hi Tracy, my working terminals don't display what I am typing at the moment I am typing it. It will only display what I have typed after o run it or press enter. So I type almost invisibly until I press enter or double click on the terminal. Why can't it display what I am typing as I am typing it especially the web terminal. Thank you

That is the web terminal for you. Slow and very unresponsive, almost everybody complain of this. I had that same issue too, I cloned the sandbox to unbuntu on my PC or termux on my phone and started working from there.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Avast(m): 9:39pm On Aug 23, 2022
ajerimitan:

Your network is poor.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by MarySax(f): 3:36pm On Aug 25, 2022
hefexzy:
I am interestedin this, i stay in Ikorodu.

I am also interested in this
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by MarySax(f): 3:57pm On Aug 25, 2022
Gospel367:

Hello bro, since you are the owner of this thread, I believe you should be the best to pass the info.

is there anyone live in central Lagos like ketu, Ikeja or so. If willing, let's team together like 4 or 5, if the person is willing, let's buy unlimited data (fibreone offers unlimited data at 11k but you need the first installation that costs 37k)...if we can be up to 4, we can foot the bill, subsequent months, spend less than 3k for unlimited...and study together till we are through

On work, we can still team together and find a part time hustle we can do in the evening to get income unless we have other jobs to do.

This is not easy but it's a sacrifice of one year. My house would have been best since I have two big rooms but it's far away in ikorodu and I doubt if fibreone gets there. ..

Any better option will be appreciated....

Sharing of resources like laptop will suffice and be helpful too

How do I contact you? I’m interested
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Lorayne(m): 4:34pm On Aug 25, 2022
Techstar:
he did GACD wow!! The Recursion task was available since Tuesday, more like 72hrs, same way the static task has been available since Sunday. Keep up the good work. I was reluctant to apply in the first place , It was your thread that made me apply. I'm like your number 1 fan grin grin
Boss, can we link up on WhatsApp?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Newusername(m): 9:02pm On Aug 25, 2022
Avast:

Your network is poor.

Help me tell am o. Na bad network dey make that web terminal dey delay even if you SSH into termux or ubuntu. Just have good network and you enjoy it whether you SSH or not.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Avast(m): 9:23pm On Aug 25, 2022
Newusername:

Help me tell am o. Na bad network dey make that web terminal dey delay even if you SSH into termux or ubuntu. Just have good network and you enjoy it whether you SSH or not.

Yes o,

I saw your chat with the other person.

I don't like arguing with people. Do watin work for you make I do mine.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Avast(m): 9:28pm On Aug 25, 2022
Web terminal is just the best if you have system and good network.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Newusername(m): 9:33pm On Aug 25, 2022
Avast:

Yes o,

I saw your chat with the other person.

I don't like arguing with people. Do watin work for you make I do mine.

Sure man, we go dey alright jare. Stay blessed.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by determination26(m): 11:39pm On Aug 25, 2022
Please what's the link to the group for September cohorts, I got accepted
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by SWEAbim: 8:16am On Aug 26, 2022
Congratulations on being ALX accepted.

A group is being put together for preparation for the new cohorts of ALX SE, if you're interested join with this link:

https://chat. whatsapp. com/GZZdgFUDJnd2D8FY2AWEYd

I broke the link so I can paste it here. So copy it & paste somewhere else then close the gaps inbetween to make the link click-through.

determination26:
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:49am On Aug 26, 2022
determination26:

That place is a bit quiet, but you can always ask for assistance from your peers there and ensure to go through the group description

https:// chat.whatsapp. com/K1L31EsBozs55YL86wKdOS
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 10:47am On Aug 26, 2022
I have been stuffed with work and haven't had time to write here.

So far, we have only covered *Singly Linked lists* on data structures on C.

We're on a project called *C shell* the duration for this task is 15 days and we're supposed to work in pairs. After the C shell project, we would be going for one week break abd after resumption, we would start python.

Aside doing the project, we are required to write an article pertaining to the project. This made me recall David who got hired by Amazon. He did say one of the test given to him by the company was a project on ALX and they had to write an article on the project.

Further more, I won't be posting pictures here anymore because some people are taking ALX as a business, someone created a group on telegram, requesting for 1000 people to pay 3k per person. He promised to get them for the first four months, I don't know how he intends to do that but we recently received a message from ALX pertaining plagiarism and anyone caught will be de-enrolled and prohibited from joining the program.

I will keep posting my journey but without pictures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Dremkay: 3:57pm On Aug 27, 2022
@anonymous6o6
I have been silently following your thread since I got accepted into this program since 3 days ago. Thanks for what you. You really have answered most of the questions I have about the alx program and how it's structured.

I'll be onboarding on the 19th of September. And I really would like to network with someone like you.
Anonymous6o6:
I have been stuffed with work and haven't had time to write here.

So far, we have only covered *Singly Linked lists* on data structures on C.

We're on a project called *C shell* the duration for this task is 15 days and we're supposed to work in pairs. After the C shell project, we would be going for one week break abd after resumption, we would start python.

Aside doing the project, we are required to write an article pertaining to the project. This made me recall David who got hired by Amazon. He did say one of the test given to him by the company was a project on ALX and they had to write an article on the project.

Further more, I won't be posting pictures here anymore because some people are taking ALX as a business, someone created a group on telegram, requesting for 1000 people to pay 3k per person. He promised to get them for the first four months, I don't know how he intends to do that but we recently received a message from ALX pertaining plagiarism and anyone caught will be de-enrolled and prohibited from joining the program.

I will keep posting my journey but without pictures.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by clickate: 11:18am On Aug 29, 2022
Hi Guys, Great work Here.

I have also created a whatsapp and telegram group for those of us starting the ALX training by September 19, 2022.

The aim is so we can network and be of help to ourselves. Choose any of the group or you can even join both.

Whatsapp : ALX September 2022 Cohort Whatsapp Group
Telegram : ALX September 2022 Cohort Telegram Group

Share with your friends and family.

See you in the training.

Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (41) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.