Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,171 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa - Programming (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa (126519 Views)

ALX Africa Software Engineering Journey - From Zero To Hero! / My Software Engineering Journey - Alx (journal) / Alx africa vs Udemy ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:07pm On Aug 29, 2022
Dremkay:
@anonymous6o6
I have been silently following your thread since I got accepted into this program since 3 days ago. Thanks for what you. You really have answered most of the questions I have about the alx program and how it's structured.

I'll be onboarding on the 19th of September. And I really would like to network with someone like you.

Hello Dremkay
There's actually a WhatsApp group for September Cohort, join the group and from there, we can connect.

https://chat. whatsapp. com/K1L31EsBozs55YL86wKdOS
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by DonEvarest(m): 1:59pm On Aug 31, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

That place is a bit quiet, but you can always ask for assistance from your peers there and ensure to go through the group description

https:// chat.whatsapp. com/K1L31EsBozs55YL86wKdOS
please is laptop compulsory for this scheme?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Abbey2108: 12:47pm On Sep 02, 2022
Pls, can you send the WhatsApp link?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by SWEAbim: 7:01pm On Sep 02, 2022
Here is one.

SWEAbim:
Congratulations on being ALX accepted.

A group is being put together for preparation for the new cohorts of ALX SE, if you're interested join with this link:

https://chat. whatsapp. com/GZZdgFUDJnd2D8FY2AWEYd

I broke the link so I can paste it here. So copy it & paste somewhere else then close the gaps inbetween to make the link click-through.

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Honlucas: 2:25pm On Sep 03, 2022
Hello Tracy pls do you have material to share class is starting 19th Sept
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:02pm On Sep 06, 2022
Honlucas:
Hello Tracy pls do you have material to share class is starting 19th Sept

Yeah
Join the group through the group link
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:21pm On Sep 06, 2022
Mehn... A lot has happened!! Like a lot

First, I have gotten a laptop! Yeah, a good laptop! And it was thanks to the August cohort members who decided to contribute and get me one.

Secondly, I completed the Alx Virtual Assistant Program last Sunday, mehn... It has been a struggle using my phone to multi-task, now I can practice more with my laptop.

This is my fourth month in Alx program as a software engineer, many things has happened during this period, I made great friends, broaden my knowledge on C even though it was a struggle.

I really struggled with C because I had to finish watching Tutorials before practicing with Sololearn. So happy to get a laptop.

There were days I questioned myself on the knowledge I have accumulated and if the period time for time was worth it because I felt I haven't learnt much, but I didn't allow it discourage me.

I came across a video that had the answers to most of my questions. Especially about my journey as a software engineer, I will be writing down the things I have learnt from the video and my friends who are experienced developers. They include the following:

PS: these are tips for software engineers

- Don't try to learn everything! -
- Build projects while learning
- Solve problems with your skills

Not learning Java, C++, python, C#, PHP because you saw them as a requirement for a job, rather get good at a programming, build projects with it, solve problems with that language, which will showcase that you are that good at it.

Using myself as an example, I intend to specialize as a backend engineer using python and C++. Python is a high level language which will be slow with operating systems, this is where C++, a low level language comes in.

I hope you don't find this boring lol

5 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:30pm On Sep 06, 2022
I will be taking the 100 days challenge for C language to be accountable to myself, this means I will be studying C language from start. So far I have installed Ubuntu on the Virtual box.

I also plan to host a google meet on C for the August cohort but it depends on them, it has been a hectic week. I wish I could take a leave for two days, away from alx and coding, just anime and sleep.

2 Likes

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by elmas(m): 3:53pm On Sep 06, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

First, I have gotten a laptop! Yeah, a good laptop! And it was thanks to the August cohort members who decided to contribute and get me one.

Secondly, I completed the Alx Virtual Assistant Program last Sunday, mehn... It has been a struggle using my phone to multi-task, now I can practice more with my laptop.

This is my fourth month in Alx program as a software engineer, many things has happened during this period, I made great friends, broaden my knowledge on C even though it was a struggle.

I really struggled with C because I had to finish watching Tutorials before practicing with Sololearn. So happy to get a laptop.

There were days I questioned myself on the knowledge I have accumulated and if the period time for time was worth it because I felt I haven't learnt much, but I didn't allow it discourage me.

I came across a video that had the answers to most of my questions. Especially about my journey as a software engineer, I will be writing down the things I have learnt from the video and my friends who are experienced developers. They include the following:

Not learning Java, C++, python, C#, PHP because you saw them as a requirement for a job, rather get good at a programming, build projects with it, solve problems with that language, which will showcase that you are that good at it.

Using myself as an example, I intend to specialize as a backend engineer using python and C++. Python is a high level language which will be slow with operating systems, this is where C++, a low level language comes in.

What if you go Fullstack?

Will it be fine by you?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Kaka5(m): 10:38pm On Sep 06, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
I will be taking the 100 days challenge for C language to be accountable to myself, this means I will be studying C language from start. So far I have installed Ubuntu on the Virtual box.

I also plan to host a google meet on C for the August cohort but it depends on them, it has been a hectic week. I wish I could take a leave for two days, away from alx and coding, just anime and sleep.

Hello Tracy, I also struggled with C. I'll like to join the 100 days of C challenge. Is there a WhatsApp for those that want to join the challenge.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:02am On Sep 07, 2022
elmas:

What if you go Fullstack?

Will it be fine by you?

Yeah
It is actually full stack but I wanna be more on the backend side.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 12:03am On Sep 07, 2022
Kaka5:

Hello Tracy, I also struggled with C. I'll like to join the 100 days of C challenge. Is there a WhatsApp for those that want to join the challenge.

None
I intend it on Twitter and LinkedIn
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Kaka5(m): 4:29pm On Sep 07, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

None
I intend it on Twitter and LinkedIn
Okay Tracy, thanks for your response.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by ameh43: 8:14am On Sep 08, 2022
My application has been approved too. Waiting to start on 19th. Any first class information that can be of help?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by ameh43: 9:04am On Sep 08, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Please I am waiting for my induction to start the training. I will really want all the advice and relevant tips that you can assist with. If there is a group on any media that I can join, let me know pls. Thanks
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by ameh43: 9:24am On Sep 08, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Hello Dremkay
There's actually a WhatsApp group for September Cohort, join the group and from there, we can connect.

https://chat. whatsapp. com/K1L31EsBozs55YL86wKdOS
Not opening. Can you help with the link again?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by VryReal: 10:18am On Sep 08, 2022
ameh43:

Please I am waiting for my induction to start the training. I will really want all the advice and relevant tips that you can assist with. If there is a group on any media that I can join, let me know pls. Thanks

Pls this 70hours a week, is it timed or selfpaced
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Knowbody: 11:03am On Sep 08, 2022
ABUPHARM:

Please can you send the C pdf to my email? I just got accepted. It's time I start preparation in advance.
abupharm50@gmaildotcom

Please can you send the C pdf to my email
ikojiee34@gmail.com
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Knowbody: 11:10am On Sep 08, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Send me an email

Please whoever needs C material should send me an email, I will respond.

Please send me the C material

ikojiee34@gmail.com
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Emarex: 1:52pm On Sep 08, 2022
VryReal:

Pls this 70hours a week, is it timed or selfpaced
it's not timed but will be needing about 10hrs daily to succeed in the program. It could be more or less depending on the individuals ability to assimilate.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by kingsquueze: 5:28pm On Sep 08, 2022
Please Is there any ALX programmer around Ojodu_berger, Alagbole or Akute please can we form a meeting group pls
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by kingsquueze: 5:47pm On Sep 08, 2022
Please incase you are an ALX SOFTWARE ENGINEERING PROGRAM student in Cohort 9 please or previous please and you stay in Ojodu_berger, Alagbole or Akute in Lagos pls I beg you hit me up 09035205420 let's start a physical meeting group. That's one way we can get through this pls I beg you
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 5:51pm On Sep 08, 2022
ameh43:

Not opening. Can you help with the link again?

https:// chat.whatsapp. com/DRV1LbOGd0s4geqXy4ecPN?
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Chatflick(m): 12:33am On Sep 09, 2022
I joined Alx also. Starting on the 19th. I hope to succeed with this.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 3:56pm On Sep 10, 2022
We're done with the C shell project and will be going for a one week break before starting Python.

This means we're through with the first sprint and will be start the second sprint when we start python.

I'm already reading python, can't allow same experience that I have on C to happen on python.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by udoka55555: 1:22am On Sep 11, 2022
Following
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Anonymous6o6: 8:34am On Sep 12, 2022
We're on break for this week, so I will be using it to prepare for python which will be starting next week

With my knowledge on C, python ought to be simpler but not when ALX is involved.

We used gcc to compile C code while we will be using pystyle to compile python. I'm still in python as an interpreted language after which I will be reading on functions. I also intend to write with code samples for accountability.

I have a lot of resources but will be using LinkedIn learning and Python Modular Pdf to study.

1 Like

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by 2Radii: 6:12pm On Sep 12, 2022
Anonymous6o6:

Uhm... Most of the materials are links which will redirect you to a website to read or watch the material.

But the material on C language is a pdf file. So which material do you need?
pls can I get the materials for the C language.

samuelson.os19@gmail.com
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by 2Radii: 6:43pm On Sep 12, 2022
Seunfunmi18:

Next time when you're using gitbash.
Ssh your sandbox into the gitbash.
That would give you access to your sandbox whilst you're in the gitbash terminal and you can clone your repository there and work on your project.
Well it's nice seeing your perseverance Sha.
I'm in cohort 6, we started since March 14.
We're like 20k+ when we started, but currently we're 2k+ or so.

So Goodluck
I started with u guys but I had to drop out, reason cus my system wasn't good and secondly I was new to all those nonsense and jargons grin

But now I have re-registered and we will be starting this month, I have gotten myself used to the vim, emacs, shell, and git. But I am still having some little problems sha

I hope I can reach u and ask some questions from u.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Kaka5(m): 1:41am On Sep 14, 2022
Anonymous6o6:
We're on break for this week, so I will be using it to prepare for python which will be starting next week

With my knowledge on C, python ought to be simpler but not when ALX is involved.

We used gcc to compile C code while we will be using pystyle to compile python. I'm still in python as an interpreted language after which I will be reading on functions. I also intend to write with code samples for accountability.

I have a lot of resources but will be using LinkedIn learning and Python Modular Pdf to study.
Hello Tracy, pycodestyle is similar to Betty. Its not used to compile python code. Its just used to check for pep8 style guide - which helps programmers write readable code.
Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by Tisevadon: 3:17pm On Sep 14, 2022
My suggestion You can ignore emacs, vim and git.
Reason They are tools you will use everyday, so you will learn them naturally because of everyday usage.

About shell You can Google "50 commonly used Linux command", then read about them individually (you can use your Ubuntu by typing "man command_name" eg, "man mv" , this gives you the whole info you need about mv = move command.
Doing this will make life easier for you, then what you will be left with is shell init and few other topics.

Lastly Give C programming all the time you can. This won't make you to be ahead of alx, no...they will always be ahead of us, but it will make you not to struggle. When reading, if you can read details please do, because alx will ask you things you least expected.

I wish you Goodluck.

2Radii:
I started with u guys but I had to drop out, reason cus my system wasn't good and secondly I was new to all those nonsense and jargons grin

But now I have re-registered and we will be starting this month, I have gotten myself used to the vim, emacs, shell, and git. But I am still having some little problems sha

I hope I can reach u and ask some questions from u.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa by 2Radii: 3:22pm On Sep 14, 2022
Tisevadon:
My suggestion You can ignore emacs, vim and git.
Reason They are tools you will use everyday, so you will learn them naturally because of everyday usage.

About shell You can Google "50 commonly used Linux command", then read about them individually (you can use your Ubuntu by typing "man command_name" eg, "man mv" , this gives you the whole info you need about mv = move command.
Doing this will make life easier for you, then what you will be left with is shell init and few other topics.

Lastly Give C programming all the time you can. This won't make you to be ahead of alx, no...they will always be ahead of us, but it will make you not to struggle. When reading, if you can read details please do, because alx will ask you things you least expected.

I wish you Goodluck.

thanks alot Ogami

Pls what cohort do u belong to, I wish to be connected to u if u don't mind.

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (41) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.