Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,709 members, 7,813,342 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated (33074 Views)

A Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed A Plane At A Florida Airport / Passenger Forcibly Removed From Plane After Pilot Asks Him To Disembark (Video) / Meet Nwando Phina Okpaleke The Airpeace Pilot Who Landed An Airplane In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by DaveHarry(m): 11:27am On May 11, 2022
A passenger with no flying experience safely landed a private plane in a Florida airport Tuesday afternoon, May 10, when the pilot became incapacitated.

As the situation unfolded, the passenger can be heard telling air traffic control that he doesn't know how to fly the plane, according to LiveATC.net audio obtained.

"I've got a serious situation here," the unidentified passenger said in the audio. "My pilot has gone incoherent, and I have no idea how to fly the airplane."

Then an air traffic controller began providing the passenger with instructions on landing the plane, according to the audio, which eventually touched down in Palm Beach International Airport in Florida.

"Try to hold the wings level and see if you can start descending for me. Push forward on the controls and descend at a very slow rate," the air traffic controller can be heard telling the man.
"Try to follow the coast either north or southbound. We're trying to locate you."

In additional audio captured by LiveATC.net, another air traffic controller can be heard telling other planes what had unfolded.

"You just witnessed a couple of passengers land that plane," the tower operator can be heard telling an American Airlines pilot waiting to take off for Charlotte, North Carolina.

"Did you say the passengers landed the airplane?" the American Airlines pilot asked. "Oh, my God. Great job," he said.

Two people were aboard the single-engine Cessna 208 when the pilot had a "possible medical issue," the Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement. The condition of the pilot was not immediately known.

The FAA is investigating.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/florida-passenger-lands-plane/index.html

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by habsydiamond(m): 11:29am On May 11, 2022
Good to hear that..

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by DrySaliva: 11:31am On May 11, 2022
The movie, Snakes on the Plane comes to mind.

It must have been a very scary experience that will take a whole of comportment for you to listen and follow instruction as accurately as possible.

96 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by soberdrunk(m): 11:35am On May 11, 2022
If nah my people nah blood of...... blood of..... them 4 dey shout...... angry

170 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by DaveHarry(m): 11:39am On May 11, 2022
grin grin
soberdrunk:

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by Creamypie(m): 11:45am On May 11, 2022
Thank God na obodoyibo it happened. If na Nigeria, u go hear prayer to god of "oyedekpo," Adeboye, "Chrisis "okotie" and "akhilome", "Adefarasin, " as if they themselves no go old and die one day, with all the so called "god" they serve. Africans, instead of to work and put physical concerted efforts, them go dey pray, till plane crash, their people will say "God called them".if we can use half the period of time we spend on "prayer," "seeing vision" and their varieties to personal effort, research, half of our problems will be solved within 2 yrs

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by Urheadmaster(m): 11:59am On May 11, 2022
soberdrunk:
That why we are Africans.

We believe in blood of..... instead of believing in technology tongue

17 Likes

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by talk2hb1(m): 1:19pm On May 11, 2022
What an Experience
Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by bigdammyj: 4:15pm On May 11, 2022
Noted.
Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by oluseyiforjesus(m): 4:15pm On May 11, 2022
Sounds simple but it's a miracle

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by OgunleyeA1: 4:15pm On May 11, 2022
na wa o
Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by AroOkigbo(m): 4:16pm On May 11, 2022
Akuko Mike Ejeagha grin ..
How did he know the pilot was incapacitated?
How did he access the cockpit?

4 Likes

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by victorazy(m): 4:16pm On May 11, 2022
I only see Autopilot played out jo
Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by Amalekki: 4:16pm On May 11, 2022
grin
Creamypie:
Thank God na obodoyibo it happened. If na Nigeria, u go hear prayer to god of "oyedekpo," Adeboye, "Chrisis "okotie" and "akhilome", "Adefarasin, " as if they themselves no go old and die one day. Africans, instead of to work and put physical concerted efforts, them go dey pray, till plane crash, their people will say "God called them"

2 Likes

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by Kkk777: 4:17pm On May 11, 2022
Nice
Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by womenareapez: 4:17pm On May 11, 2022
soberdrunk:

4 Likes

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by BigYash: 4:18pm On May 11, 2022
Creamypie:
Thank God na obodoyibo it happened. If na Nigeria, u go hear prayer to god of "oyedekpo," Adeboye, "Chrisis "okotie" and "akhilome", "Adefarasin, " as if they themselves no go old and die one day. Africans, instead of to work and put physical concerted efforts, them go dey pray, till plane crash, their people will say "God called them"
You will be hearing.. My father,My father grin

5 Likes

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by constance500: 4:18pm On May 11, 2022
If it was Nigerian, they'll all be dead grin

2 Likes

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by illuminutty: 4:18pm On May 11, 2022
Hian
Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by onomeabuja: 4:18pm On May 11, 2022
DaveHarry:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/florida-passenger-lands-plane/index.html
I think say ë happen for our naija.......
I for de clap my hands & legs....because all our boys & men , na inside bet9ja house them experience dey grin

4 Likes

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by Datikwerreboi(m): 4:19pm On May 11, 2022
Which kind story is this

1 Like

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by MMempire(m): 4:19pm On May 11, 2022
Thank God for calmness of mind from the passengers.
Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by tophumble(m): 4:19pm On May 11, 2022
Nice one.

He must be brave and intelligent
Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by VladimirPutiin(m): 4:20pm On May 11, 2022
shocked

It was a small plane I guess. A plane with just 2 passengers.

1 Like

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by Amalekki: 4:20pm On May 11, 2022
victorazy:
Autopilot
I don't think so. They described how they landed the plane and never mentioned autopilot.
--------------------------------

Automatic Landing Requirements

A passenger plane can land by itself using the autopilot, through a system that is often referred to as ‘autoland’. The pilots can program the autopilot to carry out the landing automatically whilst the pilots monitor the aircraft’s systems. However, there are limitations as to when the autoland system can be used.

Automatic landings require a high level of automation monitoring that needs retraining every six months for professional pilots. Autolands can only be performed under strict conditions that require the certification of both the aircraft (often downgraded to no autoland capability due to technical issues), both of the pilots and the airport itself. The pilots are still required to configure the aircraft and control its speed and monitor its flight path. Any number of relatively minor technical issues can compromise many fail-passive auto land systems, requiring a missed approach to be carried out and then a possible diversion to an airport which is clear of fog or low cloud.

An Autoland is often referred to as a CAT III (3) approach. This refers to the category of the Instrument Landing System (ILS), which is a radio aid used to direct the pilots towards the runway on the final approach stages of flight. Not all airports have a CAT III ‘runway’ which means that not all airports can support Autoland operations. Equally, autoland capability is not a function that all aircraft have.

3 Likes

Re: Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated by nautybride: 4:21pm On May 11, 2022
Blood of Jesus. I bet he must have been shaking within before his confidence rose.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Community Donates Relief Materials For Turkey Earthquake Victims / Am Afraid Of Applying For US Visa Again / My Flight Has A Stopover At Dublin, Do I Need A Transit Visa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.