Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,394 members, 7,861,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:22 AM

What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? (9335 Views)

Onyebuchi Chukwu Decamps From PDP To APC / Lawani, Ode, Agada, Decamp To APC (photos) / Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu Resigns As Minister Of Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 1:40pm On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Nobody is under any obligation to use the same words that you do, or give the same meaning to them. That chukwu means god in Igbo doesn't mean it will mean the same thing when others say it.

If you have a problem with this, go find a bridge to jump off of.

I don't have a problem with it, if you like name your son Odechukwu, I don't care.
I'm just letting those that don't actually know the meaning know what they are talking about.

As for a goon like you who is becoming sick everyday with every comment you make and turns around and  blame NL for turning you into a demented individual is laughable. I think you have a demented mind already before you joined NL.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 1:41pm On Jul 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Igbo in yoruba means marijuana. . .so you can never tell if chuku has another meaning somewhere !

+1

Exactly what I'm saying.

Who the fvck are ya'll to tell someone else what slang he can and cannot invent for his language? Very presumptuous little twats.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 1:42pm On Jul 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Igbo in yoruba means marijuana. . .so you can never tell if chuku has another meaning somewhere !

Igbo and igbo (marijuana) have different pronunciations so they are entirely different. All you lost Nigerians abroad, I tire for una.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 1:43pm On Jul 14, 2011
Obiagu1:

I don't have a problem with it, if you like name your son Odechukwu, I don't care.
I'm just letting those that don't actually know the meaning know what they are talking about.

As for a goon like you who is becoming sick everyday with every comment you make and turns around and  blame NL for turning you into a demented individual is laughable. I think you have a demented mind already before you joined NL.

And if any of the above causes you pain, discomfort or mental anguish, kindly take a trip to the aforementioned bridge.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by KnowAll(m): 1:43pm On Jul 14, 2011
Again, chukwu doesn't mean "god" in Yoruba. That the Igbo man calls his god chukwu is fine and dandy, but also irrelevant.

Chukwu refers to igbo people in this context.

So there is nothing blasphemous about saying ode chukwu, unless you are an Igbo speaker or someth

You are knowingly applying the wisdom God gave u wrongly. On one hand you want us to belive that 'g-o-d' in your statment actually means "god" but you have forgotten that it might mean something else in some other language in the far corners of the world but "chuckwu" which all Nigerians including your humble self,  knows is 'god' should be something else(more like someone denying the holocause ever happened).  

"CHUCKWU" is not a slang in Yoruba and has never and would never be a derogatory slang in Yoruba, if you want to practise your inherent athiest 'streak' having a 'pot-shot' at God, you are welcome but stop glossy it up with the wrong argument
.  undecided
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 1:46pm On Jul 14, 2011
^^^

I even forget. Like you said, Chukwu has never and would never be a word used in Yoruba to refer to the Igbo, never!
No sane Yoruba man will use it. Only the insane ones like the one above trying silly logic that is beyond is capacity.

For him to turn around and say it refers to the Igbo shows how disconnected he is to anything in Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 1:51pm On Jul 14, 2011
@KnowAll: Just to be clear, I am not an atheist. . .that really has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

My overall point is that the phrase "ode chukwu" cannot be blasphemous, simply because chukwu does not mean god in yoruba. That it means "god" in Igbo is cute and interesting, but not really relevant.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jul 14, 2011
Obiagu1:

Igbo and igbo (marijuana) have different pronunciations so they are entirely different. All you lost Nigerians abroad, I tire for una.

what pronunciation when homonym applies to the same word when written.That is why I refer to you people as IBO instead of marijuana.only if you want to blame yorubas for having a word that seems to descrate the tribe ''Igbo''
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by aljharem3: 1:54pm On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

@KnowAll: Just to be clear, I am not an atheist. . .that really has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

My overall point is that the phrase "ode chukwu" cannot be blasphemous, simply because chukwu does not mean god in yoruba. That it means "god" in Igbo is cute and interesting, but not really relevant.

dapo Chukwu has no meaning in yoruba. it is a slogan gotten from the Igbo language which is used for God

now turning it into a form of insultive slogan is blasphemous and should be stopped

even if u do not respect the igbo langauge, I think people have to respect God
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by KnowAll(m): 1:56pm On Jul 14, 2011

Unfortunately the word ‘ode chuckwu’ means ‘dumb god’ and if you want to continue wallowing in your ignorance you are more than welcome, after all it is a free world.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 1:56pm On Jul 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

what pronunciation when homonym applies to the same word when written.That is why I refer to you people as IBO instead of marijuana.only if you want to blame yorubas for having a word that seems to descrate the tribe ''Igbo''

A beg, comot with your silly logic; it's so annoying.
If you even know how to pronounce "Igbo" (a people) and "igbo" (marijuana), then you can start all over again with a different logic.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 1:57pm On Jul 14, 2011
There is bound to be some tribe or peoples on earth where even the word "ode" means "god" in their language.

Now suppose that this is the case. Does that mean you cannot use that word any more, because it is somehow insulting god?

This is getting pretty dumb here. If word X means Y in language Z, leave that meaning to language Z and don't try to bring it into your own language.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by aljharem3: 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2011
~Bluetooth:

igbo in yoruba is (do do) while the ethnic group igbo (do mi)

the pronunciations are different from each other
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 1:59pm On Jul 14, 2011
KnowAll:

Unfortunately the word ‘ode chuckwu’ means ‘dumb god’ and if you want to continue wallowing in your ignorance you are more than welcome, after all it is a free world.

Then let it be a free word and let people do what they like. Rather than trying to police the internet. Live your life and let the other man live his.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 2:01pm On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

There is bound to be some tribe or peoples on earth where even the word "ode" means "god" in their language.

Now suppose that this is the case. Does that mean you cannot use that word any more, because it is somehow insulting god?

This is getting pretty dumb here. If word X means Y in language Z, leave that meaning to language Z and don't try to bring it into your own language.

This is why I said you are a dunce.
Logic is beyond your capacity, mehn, try other things.

For you to start with that your argument, you have to first of all come up with other meanings of "Chukwu" in other languages before it will make sense.
As far as I know, it does not exist in Yoruba language.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 2:02pm On Jul 14, 2011
Yoruba last names like Fagbemi or Fagbenle.

Should people change their last names because "gay" means "g@y" in English?

Same deal with "Bimbo."

Leave to the english language what belongs there, don't bring those meanings into yoruba. It is silly.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2011
What do you call that leftover from corn in yoruba ? Is it not chuku agabado ?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Yoruba last names like Fagbemi or Fagbenle.

Should people change their last names because "gay" means "g@y" in English?

Leave to the english language what belongs there, don't bring those meanings into yoruba. It is silly.

You keep exposing your "emptiness".

Is Fagbemi pronounced as gay-bemi or Fa-gbemi?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 2:08pm On Jul 14, 2011
Obiagu1:

You keep exposing your "emptiness".

Is Fagbemi pronounced as gay-bemi or Fa-gbemi?

1. It depends on who is pronouncing the word. As you might know, not everyone in the English-speaking world is good at pronouncing Nigerian names.
2. In many contexts (like text and the internet, basically anywhere written), pronunciation is not relevant.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

1. It depends on who is pronouncing the word. As you might know, not everyone in the English-speaking world is good at pronouncing Nigerian names.
2. In many contexts (like text and the internet, basically anywhere written), pronunciation is not relevant.

Leave logic mehn, go back to "spreadsheets" you are good at. You have a talent there.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by vicenzo(m): 2:10pm On Jul 14, 2011
apoti:

So former Nigerian coach Christian Chukwu means Christian God  

No, the chukwu in his name is a shortened form of his surname,an igbo whose surname is chukwumaife(God is wise),chukwuenweniwe(God don't be angry),etc,might decide to shorten it to just chukwu,next time when you see an igbo whose surname is chukwu,ask him for the full name.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 2:11pm On Jul 14, 2011
Obiagu1:

This is why I said you are a dunce.
Logic is beyond your capacity, mehn, try other things.

For you to start with that your argument, you have to first of all come up with other meanings of "Chukwu" in other languages before it will make sense.
As far as I know, it does not exist in Yoruba language.

I guess you've missed the point. The point is that what word X means in language Y doesn't count for anything when speaking language Z. That is the point, not whether word X also has a meaning language Z or not.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by okstol: 2:15pm On Jul 14, 2011
@Ekt_bear, must u always show ur ignorance in dis forum? Why showing some hopeless logic in dis thread? @Knowall and co, I don't even know why u guys were replying this demented fellaz post. The pronunciation between Igbo(SE) and igbo (marijuana) is totally different. Plz let's respect God even if u hate Ndigbo as Alhaji Harem rightly pointed out. But for ye d atheist, more condemn grease to ur broken elbows.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 14, 2011
okstol:

@Ekt_bear, must u always show your ignorance in dis forum? Why showing some hopeless logic in dis thread? @Knowall and co, I don't even know why u guys were replying this demented fellaz post. [s]The pronunciation between Igbo(SE) and igbo (marijuana) is totally different.[/s] Plz let's respect God even if u hate Ndigbo as Alhaji Harem rightly pointed out. But for ye d atheist, more condemn grease to your broken elbows.
Can you please tell me how a non-Nigerian will be able to clarify between igbo and Igbo by mere just seeing it ?
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by bkbabe97y(m): 2:22pm On Jul 14, 2011
What wont Ibos cry about? Always whining and crying over something or the other. Buncha lil male, punk, biyytches.

So, the Yorubas are obligated to use words in your language in the same context as u?!

Topics like this are how I know I'll always find it hard to not look at an Ibo man without suspicion. . . . very hypocritical beasts. Look at them up in arms trying to defend God's name, meanwhile, theres a video floating around the internet in which a poor necklace thief was brutally burnt to death by no other a group than a bunch of Ibo men!!!! Oh, and while they was roasting this poor dude (probably in hopes of eating him--a la Ibo fashion) a traumatized by-stander could be heard screaming "Jesus" repeatedly. Did the Ibo guys listen to anything remotely close to God's name at that point? No!!! But they wanna come on here, hypocrites that they are, and tell us what they think of jokes others made.

If yall Ibos was truly fearful of God, you woulda put the future of your kids before tribalism and bigotry and U woulda never rigged in GEJ so massively in all Ibo enclaves. Idiotas

You can fuxxck off now!

P.S:OA4MJ, my bad, but these fo*ools just make me so tight with their hypocrisy which just seems to be part of their way of life.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by ektbear: 2:23pm On Jul 14, 2011
Again, the pronunciation stuff is not what is important. The point is that because something has a meaning in someone else's language doesn't mean it must then have the same meaning in your own.

Some appear to get this point, others do not (or don't care.)

Anyway, that is fine. It is a free world. People are entitled to say what they like.

if you don't like the phrase "odechukwu", then don't use it. Simple as that.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by EkoIle1: 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2011
ibo people sabi yell and cry over anything and everything sha,

geez, give it a rest sometimes,
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by aljharem3: 2:30pm On Jul 14, 2011
Eko Ile:

ibo people sabi yell and cry over anything and everything sha,

geez, give it a rest sometimes,

no brother

i think what is wrong is wrong, all they are doing is pointing out what is wrong
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 14, 2011
alj_harem:

no brother

i think what is wrong is wrong, all they are doing is pointing out what is wrong
Abegi . . .nothing is wrong,these people are regular cry babies.Tomorrow,they create another thread that they are not ibos.WTF cry
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 2:35pm On Jul 14, 2011
alj_harem:

no brother

It baffles me that, of all the words in Igbo language, the only one they could find to affix to Ode is Chukwu.

I can't imagine myself say something like Mumu Oluwa.
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by bkbabe97y(m): 2:41pm On Jul 14, 2011
alj_harem:

no brother

And what is "wrong" about it u hypocritical, and always instigating desert rat?

Nigerians in the North scream Islam and murder everyone but their plundering politicos, Nigerians in the East scream Chukwu yet they go on a murderous rampage killing a clearly starving petty thief in cold blood or they massively rig in corrupt GEJ and his cronies.

If anything you beasts should be begging God for forgiveness for your part in the suffering your country is going thru (and will go thru for decades). Because of your actions, helpless kids have died today because they lack medical care. . . . the money for their upkeep has been siphoned by the politicians you monkeys voted in because his (the politician's) opponent was Muslim and Non-Ibo.

So, instead of trying to play "righteous citizen", you guys should be on your knees begging to have the days u will be sentenced to hell reduced by as much time as possible. Fuxccking hypocrites!
Re: What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu? by Obiagu1(m): 2:42pm On Jul 14, 2011
alj_harem:

no brother

It baffles me that, of all the words in Igbo language, the only one they could find to affix to Ode is Chukwu.

I can't imagine myself say something like Mumu Oluwa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NUPENG Begins Strike Today / Pictures Of Gov. Orji's Visit To Ghana / Attention Seun And Whoever It May Concern.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.