Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,787 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question (22104 Views)

How To Answer The Interview Question, “Tell Me About Yourself.” / What Should u say When Asked This Question In An Interview / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by oyeb15: 1:07pm On May 23, 2022
Come again Sir!

I can't hear you clearly Sir!

Na him go explain his question last last.
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by bizhop01: 1:10pm On May 23, 2022
Tell the person to give you the job should stop asking stupid question angry
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by PARADIZEPRIEST: 1:10pm On May 23, 2022
SAY: I DO NOT KNOW SIR/MA,BUT I CAN FIND OUT IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY. cheesy

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by FLYFIRE(m): 1:11pm On May 23, 2022
NEXT QUESTION PLEASE

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Awoleesu(m): 1:14pm On May 23, 2022
As a rule, where you as an interviewee is blank about an interview question, never betray emotions or give an impression you're clueless.
It is an opportunity for you to discuss intelligently.

For example in your case, you didn't know anything about the question asked. I would suggest you put on your best mood, smile brightly (try to infect your interviewer and the atmosphere with mirth) then say something amidst the jolly atmosphere like " let me guess...this has to do with the role I'm applying to..."

Most interviewer may give you a credit for starting a smart conversation to undermine a potentially embarrassing situation. You may not get the answer correctly but you may have clearly saved face at the end of the game. Intelligence in a conversation is usually rated higher than correctness of answers given.

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by DARLINGTON869(m): 1:15pm On May 23, 2022
Come again grin

T O DARLING

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by StephenAtir(m): 1:15pm On May 23, 2022
Iamyemmie:
I did a job interview a while back,the name on the company email that scheduled me for interview was hr54gene something something sha
So it was the company I googled about and studied I didn’t know the job I applied for was for one of the companies they work with 7something lab Cos I be applying to a lot of jobs ,I set google jobs alert for a specific job and location I want .

So I didn’t really remember that company I applied to.

Fast forward to interview sha , They asked a lot of questions which I answered
They asked about the 54gene company too I answered that Then they asked about the 7riverlab
I said I had no idea And I could see the disappointment on their faces
The lady was like don’t I know the company I applied for
I been blaming myself sha Maybe I should have just thought of something

There was one time too
The lady was asking me to list all the systems in the body (secondary school stuffs o)
This hr people wicked

I just say that's a very good question......then I proceed to say something I hope sounds smart...make I buy time...
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by MideMrPossible: 1:15pm On May 23, 2022
Nice
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by rippa(m): 1:15pm On May 23, 2022
Iamyemmie:
I did a job interview a while back,the name on the company email that scheduled me for interview was hr54gene something something sha
So it was the company I googled about and studied I didn’t know the job I applied for was for one of the companies they work with 7something lab Cos I be applying to a lot of jobs ,I set google jobs alert for a specific job and location I want .

They asked about the 54gene company too I answered that Then they asked about the 7riverlab

There was one time too
The lady was asking me to list all the systems in the body (secondary school stuffs o)
This hr people wicked
Job way b ur own na ur own
I remembered goin for an interview after passing through all the stages of the interviews
It was the final part with the head of the department and she asked me to name 3 of the company products. I just told her I don't know because the text came as I an impromptu and no time to do a wide research.
She told me, you graduated from so so big university with a good grade and u are giving excuses. I told her it was not my nature that next time I will do better. She just said I should go dey will get back to me. I gave up immediately but b4 I got home, I received an offer email from them to resume.
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by seunoj: 1:19pm On May 23, 2022
Iamyemmie:

There was one time too
This hr people wicked

If it’s an on the job question.
Probable answer: I have not really looked in that area but I belong to a network of professionals where we share information and provide support for one another. As a fast learner, I am pretty sure I did get along easily
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Enny2013(f): 1:25pm On May 23, 2022
I wud simply say I dnt know what to say...
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Kayceenaz(m): 1:32pm On May 23, 2022
Don't fidget, instead act confident. Make an intelligent guess, be brief and close your mouth. Your robust preparations before the interview would help you with an idea you can work with. As long as the question is role related, always attempt. You could be correct. For you miss 100% of shots you don't take. Good luck!
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by NwaIgboBoy(m): 1:39pm On May 23, 2022
Just tell them u are higly disappointed in Buhari

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Odidigboigbo(m): 1:47pm On May 23, 2022
Right from my secondary school days, I don't leave any question unattended. I must surely say something.
In my school days after answering the ones I assumed that I know. I dabled into ones I don't know instead of leaving it unattended, some cases, I end up having a reasonable marks on a question I thought I don't know much about .

If I didn't answer it, I score O, if give wrong answer, I still got the same O, So I took the last option which is a better gamble.

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by EmmyDJourno: 1:57pm On May 23, 2022
Ehhen, this is the part where you sell your character
Politely say, I am sorry I have no idea, please ask me another question and when they ask another question you better have an answer grin
When I went for Post UME at UI, I sat in front of 5 oligarchs of the Medical School, the first question they asked was; What is a Saponification; I knew it, but was not sure of the sort of response I was going to give, so instead of sounding stupid, I said; “I am sorry please ask me another question”, they were all shocked at how bold I was, they took an interest in me immediately, the next question was; What is an Hygroscopic substance, the blue patch wey the answer dey for Ababio just appear for my head, as I smash the answer like this, all of them wanted to ask me questions, they were impressed
When I left the room I was so sure I was getting into the University of Ibadan, my character did that for me
Then when I went for interview at the Bank, I was so sharp, answered all their questions and when it got to the one I did not know, I was confident enough to say; I am sorry I have no idea, the lady was shocked, she looked at me and said; that’s sincere of you wink
So knowing when to say; I am sorry I have no idea is key, instead of rambling at nothingness cheesy

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Buharidgeneral: 1:59pm On May 23, 2022
.... Skip
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by dalass(f): 2:09pm On May 23, 2022
Offpoint1:
Your own better, I once asked over the phone "Sorry, what position did I applied for again? " grin the lady just went silent for couple of seconds, then sigh and re-affirmed if I go by the name xxxxx xxxx offpoint.

Nobi my fault, sapa make person sent 100 cv daily on LinkedIn and all known job sites to mankind, and I don apply for all job positions known to mankind including dog assistant grin grin madam asked me "Why are your Educational qualifications missing?" I asked her "is it necessary or relevant to the position I'm applying for? I need educational qualifications to take give dog food and pack shit? grin grin

Ogun go kee past and present Nigeria Leaders.

You sey make you start personal hustle, environment no gree, you sey make you find job, na war... you come see job, pay na peanut...job stress na elephant

The first 3 paragraphs was hilarious!
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Mattwillz: 2:10pm On May 23, 2022
paulolee:
I'll jus say "good question bt pls I need a few mins, let me ask my friends on nairaland and I pray the mods push it to f.p on time"
hahahaha
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by tunjijones(m): 2:14pm On May 23, 2022
CTee1:
���..
I heard one construction company is employing so I went there with my cv. The security guy gave me pass to see one Mr White guy(civil engineer). I introduced myself as a civil engineer. Mr White took me to PM office for interview immediately... PM go through my cv then asked one simple but technical question... Mr White dey look me for my ansa Omo... Na ones I begin talk anytin wey enter my mouth... God so kind PM said I got it grin grin grin. Next time talk anytin never keep mute. Las las I dey work as casual after one month em go make me full staff... Peace

For me, I think it's better you just tell the interviewer that you don't know the answer.

I do interviews for people. It's really irritating when you don't know an answer to a question and you now start telling me jargons.

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by NaijaCars4sale: 2:18pm On May 23, 2022
Interview can be unpredictable
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Bahamas95(m): 2:20pm On May 23, 2022
I will simply tell them I don't know instead of embarrassing myself saying rubbish like broda Shaggi

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by MadamExcellency: 2:21pm On May 23, 2022
All these things depend on your composure and first impression.

I had an interview for a management position with one Oil firm in Port Harcourt precisely Onne light terminal, and I was asked some questions, along the lines, I couldn't let them continue before I took charge of the atmosphere to showcase my intellect and exposure making the interview about myself and my experiences. I even convinced them that there was no need for the interview and that the payment is the determinant factor in getting me into their organization.

I was eventually called after some days and was given the appointment.

Learn to be composed and drag the interview to your preferred preferences and expertise.

Run commentary on who you are and what you can offer to substitute for those flimsy questions that add nothing to the job.

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by skybird1: 2:23pm On May 23, 2022
The best way to reply to a question you do not know the answer to:

Thank you for the question, I do not the answer to the question you asked. Permit me to make findings and get back to you.

Then you'll give a timeline of when you will get back.

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Aguiyimba(m): 2:38pm On May 23, 2022
Oga, abeg free that one
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by j3r3myk3n(m): 2:42pm On May 23, 2022
Most times, they're literally battling with laughter within while they're probably maintaining a posture. angry Chai.
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by SecretReporter(f): 2:47pm On May 23, 2022
Offpoint1:
Your own better, I once asked over the phone "Sorry, what position did I applied for again? " grin the lady just went silent for couple of seconds, then sigh and re-affirmed if I go by the name xxxxx xxxx offpoint.

Nobi my fault, sapa make person sent 100 cv daily on LinkedIn and all known job sites to mankind, and I don apply for all job positions known to mankind including dog assistant grin grin madam asked me "Why are your Educational qualifications missing?" I asked her "is it necessary or relevant to the position I'm applying for? I need educational qualifications to take give dog food and pack shit? grin grin

Ogun go kee past and present Nigeria Leaders.

You sey make you start personal hustle, environment no gree, you sey make you find job, na war... you come see job, pay na peanut...job stress na elephant
you don't have a job but you writing CV for people, nah wah oh
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Okobola146: 2:48pm On May 23, 2022
You say "pardon!"

Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by Okobola146: 2:49pm On May 23, 2022
skybird1:
The best way to reply to a question you do not know the answer to:

Thank you for the question, I do not the answer to the question you asked. Permit me to make findings and get back to you.

Then you'll give a timeline of when you will get back.
make una no mind this guy o, na baba nla nonsense advice him just give una.
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by rickleye: 3:09pm On May 23, 2022
Simply say- I do not have the answer to that question at the moment but as a fast learner, I will use the tools around me to seek out the answer, and then add a personal positive spin to it, if you can cook something up.
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by rickleye: 3:10pm On May 23, 2022
MadamExcellency:
All these things depend on your composure and first impression.

I had an interview for a management position with one Oil firm in Port Harcourt precisely Onne light terminal, and I was asked some questions, along the lines, I couldn't let them continue before I took charge of the atmosphere to showcase my intellect and exposure making the interview about myself and my experiences. I even convinced them that there was no need for the interview and that the payment is the determinant factor in getting me into their organization.

I was eventually called after some days and was given the appointment.

Learn to be composed and drag the interview to your preferred preferences and expertise.

Run commentary on who you are and what you can offer to substitute for those flimsy questions that add nothing to the job.
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by rickleye: 3:11pm On May 23, 2022
Plead the 5th ! and see wonders happen .
Re: What Do You Say When You Don’t Know The Answer To An Interview Question by rickleye: 3:13pm On May 23, 2022
tunjijones:

For me, I think it's better you just tell the interviewer that you don't know the answer.

I do interviews for people. It's really irritating when you don't know an answer to a question and you now start telling me jargons.

Exactly ! don't BS the interviewer. Just say you don't know and see if you can turn the situation around.

Nigeria Air Force Recruitment For 2017: To Engage 5,000 Nigerians / Why Should We Hire You? The Answer To The Question! / N-Power: How To Check Your Shortlising/selection Status Using *45665#

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56