Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,963 members, 7,828,414 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? (813 Views)

Why Would A Lady Agree To Be A Second Wife? / Woman Celebrates As Her Husband Marries A Second Wife (Photo) / I Want To Marry Her, But I Am Having A Second Thought Because Of Her Mom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by VictorUSA1: 8:02am On May 26, 2022
My half brother is contemplating whether to marry our second cousin or not.

They first met in a workshop where they got attracted to each other without the knowledge that they were relatives.The family elders learnt of the relationship and pushing back while others said second cousins can get married.The two of them are death in love with each other but contemplating if the marriage could materialize.

Is it legal for second cousins to marry?
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by ZeroOneTribe: 8:03am On May 26, 2022
Legal - yes
Moral - no

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by oz4real83(m): 8:04am On May 26, 2022
The answer is hard oo. It was very right in old testament but very wrong and a sin in new testament. Legally, it is wrong according to Nigerian constitution. Health wise, it is wrong because you will be recycling the same genes within the family, when there are diseases peculiar to a family, the probability of retaining them inside the family is very high where there is inbreeding.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by Bluntguy: 8:22am On May 26, 2022
You used your hands to type that they are relatives. Do you need to ask this question again?
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by gift2xl: 8:30am On May 26, 2022
Is he from china
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by Mindlog: 8:58am On May 26, 2022
Second cousin, meaning you share the same great-grandparents.

Since he is your half-brother, meaning you share a parent together (either your dad or your mum and different mum or dad).

Is this second cousin from the side of your shared parent?
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by Richy4(m): 9:48am On May 26, 2022
It's an abomination as far as I'm concerned.. anything cousin, step or half is a no go area with a yellow line within my family circle...

But who are we to dictate what is morally wrong or right.. let your brother follow his heart... we all got principles that are different..
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by Lamasta(m): 10:20am On May 26, 2022
Disembark, I repeat disembark cool
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by Disembark: 10:48am On May 26, 2022
Lamasta:
Disembark, I repeat disembark cool

Abobi no da eko ma name anyhow undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by Lamasta(m): 10:56am On May 26, 2022
Disembark:

Abobi no da eko ma name anyhow undecided
Lols I just make the comment o never knew someone has the monicker tho grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by turfor: 11:08am On May 26, 2022
oz4real83:
The answer is hard oo. It was very right in old testament but very wrong and a sin in new testament. Legally, it is wrong according to Nigerian constitution. Health wise, it is wrong because you will be recycling the same genes within the family, when there are diseases peculiar to a family, the probability of retaining them inside the family is very high where there is inbreeding.

Show us in which section of Nigerian constitution and the chapter in the new testament where this is..? OP! no mind this guy o, him no know wetin e dey yan... your first cousin self is legally allowed according to the Nigerian constitution not to talk of your second cousin..

Legally, Morally & Religiously OK.. There is no single place in the entire Bible where it is categorically forbidden.. what you have is law by the church forbidden it.
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by Saintmary(f): 11:24am On May 26, 2022
VictorUSA1:

They first met in a workshop where they got attracted to each other without the knowledge that they were relatives.The family elders learnt of the relationship and pushing back while others said second cousins can get married.The two of them are death in love with each other but contemplating if the marriage could materialize.

Of course they will not get any consequence, other than medical conditions for their generations to come.

Just imagine the gross selfishness and callousness.
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by oz4real83(m): 12:50pm On May 26, 2022
turfor:

Show us in which section of Nigerian constitution and the chapter in the new testament where this is..? OP! no mind this guy o, him no know wetin e dey yan... your first cousin self is legally allowed according to the Nigerian constitution not to talk of your second cousin..

Legally, Morally & Religiously OK.. There is no single place in the entire Bible where it is categorically forbidden.. what you have is law by the church forbidden it.
"prohibited decrees of consanguinity and affinity' of section 3, First schedule and section 115(1) of the Matrimonial causes Act of 1970

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by Okhuadams(m): 1:42pm On May 26, 2022
Ask Google
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by frozen70(f): 5:37pm On May 26, 2022
VictorUSA1:

Count legality out of it

Whatever your custom and tradition says is what they will obey and follow

Umunna knows what to do in this case
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by VictorUSA1: 5:43pm On May 26, 2022
frozen70:

Count legality out of it

Whatever your custom and tradition says is what they will obey and follow

Umunna knows what to do in this case
The tradition is not clear about second cousins marriage.The elders are still deliberating on that.
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by VictorUSA1: 5:45pm On May 26, 2022
Mindlog:
Second cousin, meaning you share the same great-grandparents.

Since he is your half-brother, meaning you share a parent together (either your dad or your mum and different mum or dad).

Is this second cousin from the side of your shared parent?

It's the side of our father.
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by frozen70(f): 5:46pm On May 26, 2022
VictorUSA1:
The tradition is not clear about second cousins marriage.The elders are still deliberating on that.

Leave it for them, they know everything

They also know that, there is something they do traditionally to wave off any effects

They know that very well
Re: Is It Legal To Marry A Second Cousin? by VictorUSA1: 5:48pm On May 26, 2022
frozen70:

Leave it for them, they know everything

They also know that, there is something they do traditionally to wave off any effects

They know that very well
Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Good Morning Nairalander / I Finally Did It! Thank You Nairalanders For All The Advice & Suggestions / A New Relationship Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.