Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,305 members, 7,957,778 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:03 PM

How Do I Convince My Mom - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Convince My Mom (1479 Views)

How Do I Convince My Family To Allow Me Marry An Osu / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually / My Pregnant Girlfriend Wants Abortion. How Do I Convince Her To Keep It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Convince My Mom by IecheM(m): 8:51pm On May 28, 2022
Goodday nairalanders
I hope we're all having a wonderful day.
My narration is kinda long please bear with me.
Okay, so I studied mechanical engineering and I graduated last year, I'm currently working in a private school and the pay is not that good coupled with other side hustles that I do.
So I've been thinking about a business that I can venture into and I decided to go into transportation business. I told my mom about it and she was like I should pray about it and she also said all this engine stuff and ended there
I told my dad about it he said I should not be fast, I should slow down.
My mom is a civil servant, she's someone who doesn't like business at all she just wants us to get federal government job and all the people she has met only give her assurance and they don't do anything.
Now there's a land my mom purchased 15 years ago she hasn't done anything on that land, anytime we ask her when she plans to build she gets angry and be like nobody will force her to do what she doesn't want to do that she's waiting for buhari to come down so that price of things will fall down and that is never going to happen.
Now I'm 23 I'm still agile,if I don't hustle now please when will I hustle this is what I wants my parents to understand but they just won't understand.
We're 3 in our family and I'm the only son (second born). I really want to build my mom's land that is the main reason why I want to go into the transport business. Now the problem i have is how to convince my mom to get the car(golf 3)for me because I know she's capable. She's financially stable than my dad.
Please nairalanders what do you think I should do so as to convince my mom.
Thanks in anticipation for your positive replies.

Boss RoyalRoy please help push to fp.
Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Romanoff(f): 8:54pm On May 28, 2022
Hustle your money by yourself.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Xscape1993(m): 8:57pm On May 28, 2022
I think you should gather more money and start the transport business. Thank you bro. Wishing you all the best in this life...

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Shalommy(f): 9:03pm On May 28, 2022
Why not go for hire purchase?

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by yomi007k(m): 9:10pm On May 28, 2022
Business is not something you go into without having proper know-how, lest you get your finger burnt.

Have go gathered info/ knowlege from people that are into it? Have you personally practiced the said business before putting money into it?

You need to calm down. Theory easy pass practical.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by IecheM(m): 9:17pm On May 28, 2022
Shalommy:
Why not go for hire purchase?

In transport there's nothing sweet like having your own.
The car you want to hire you don't know the fault it has. So you might end up spending money to fix the car and not getting something tangible.

Secondly, where I stay is kinda small so there's nothing like car hire here
Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by IecheM(m): 10:12pm On May 28, 2022
yomi007k:
Business is not something you go into without having proper know-how, lest you get your finger burnt.

Have go gathered info/ knowlege from people that are into it? Have you personally practiced the said business before putting money into it?

You need to calm down. Theory easy pass practical.

I've met with people who are into it and they told me it's a profitable business.
From the information I gathered I can get maximum of 18k daily minimum of 10k. That's for short travels (30 minutes) and my budget is just 5k daily I don't need more than that.

They said if I can lay my hands on tokunbo, I'll enjoy it without any issues the only thing I need to do is just minor servicing and maintenance.
Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by cavreek: 10:23pm On May 28, 2022
Left for me anything u want to do after graduation should be from ur pocket because they no longer hold u anything atleast they've done their part to train u tru skul, try to gather from funds for ur business
I have this thought that u're not a career somebody because engineering graduates esp mechanical and electrical hardly complain of unemployment

If u plan on getting a job focus on the West

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Nazgul: 10:32pm On May 28, 2022
Find out how much is the golf 3, raise half of the amount or almost half, then approach your mom and give her a detailed explanation about how you intend to run the business and how you feel you would be making profit, also, tell tell her how much you have on ground and you need her to help you with the remaining money so you can start the business.

She would see you as a mature person and respect the fact that you've actually raised something and would be willing to support you.

But approaching her with zero capital to talk about a business she doesn't fancy would make her see you as a child and wouldn't want to waste her hard earned money on you.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Harrykn: 10:45pm On May 28, 2022
I doubt your mom will support your transport business if you don’t start somewhere like arranging a considerable amount of money for the car. Transport business is a good business too

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Cousin9999: 10:53pm On May 28, 2022
Work on your business plan. Do research, and prepare good reports.

Then talk to banks, community members, and grant program reps.

If no one believes in what you're doing, you'll just have to do it yourself. Sell akara if you have to, as long as you have confidence in what you're doing and you make progress.
Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by mariahAngel(f): 11:38pm On May 28, 2022
Start by raising part of the money you need, then ask your mum to loan you the rest, that way, she will believe in you and be convinced that you're serious.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Dailyparrot: 1:16pm On May 29, 2022
IecheM:

I've met with people who are into it and they told me it's a profitable business.
From the information I gathered I can get maximum of 18k daily minimum of 10k. That's for short travels (30 minutes) and my budget is just 5k daily I don't need more than that.

They said if I can lay my hands on tokunbo, I'll enjoy it without any issues the only thing I need to do is just minor servicing and maintenance.

The truth is, you are too young to go into transportation business now. You are just 23. At 23, I was still an undergraduate.

Don't be excited with the small daily income that you will be getting from the transportation business. You can do better than that as a fresh graduate.

You might look 35 in the next three years if you should start this transport business. It's strenuous and draining.

Also, no matter the car you get, you will still spend money on repairs, tyres, ball joint, this, that. I'm sure you have never own a car before.

Please, calm down and think of something else. Think of something bigger. Are you thinking you will build on your mum's land with the 5k daily savings from the transport business? Think again.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 29, 2022
For starters, I don't think there is anything wrong if parents give their children headups in life especially as it relates to cases such as yours. In otherwords, there is nothing wrong if you mother buys the car for you for your business. But then in your case, she probably doesn't believe in your idea or the fact that you could handle it. So she isn't ready to align to it.

Your best bet therefore is to save up for it. Give yourself a target, make it a goal to raise something tangible depending on how long you can. Give yourself no pressure. ThankGod atleast maybe your feeding and housing is being handled by your parents.

If the federal govt job she wishes works out, fine. If it doesn't, remember that its largely up to you to give yourself a comfortable life. You are a man dude! Think not yourself a boy. Have you ever wondered if you had no body to assist with the money, will you just relax and do nothing?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Maxxim: 4:25pm On May 29, 2022
My advice might seems childish, but reading through your words, I could visualize a guy with no prospect and future ambition.
If your goal in life is to build a home for your mum which is not bad at this age shows how short your reasoning ability is, what happened to setting up a stable Business for yourself and creating a system for generational wealth from your proceeds in the transportation business.

After you're done with building the house, you'll now start looking for ways to restart your life again abi.
I'm sorry, you're a mumu man

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 29, 2022
Chief...
First of all....
Remove your eyes from your mother's plot of land undecided....

You want to start building on her plot as per na your land abi, I don't get undecided... It's her's bro and unless she decides to give it to you, please remove your eyes and focus on getting your own assests undecided....

Secondly...
I have no qualms with parents setting up their children as long as the money is there, but if you can't convince your mum to buy you a car, go and work and think of how to raise the money....

If it's not possible you get a car of your own, start by renting people's car during the weekends, drive around the city, dropping people here and there, this will give you real experience as regards the stress drivers face when journeying from City to city....

Godspeed chief...

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by frozen70(f): 9:42am On May 30, 2022
IecheM:
Goodday nairalanders
Okay, so I studied mechanical engineering and I graduated last year, I'm currently working in a private school and the pay is not that good coupled with other side hustles that I do.
So I've been thinking about a business that I can venture into and I decided to go into transportation business. I told my mom about it and she was like I should pray about it and she also said all this engine stuff and ended there
My mom is a civil servant, she's someone who doesn't like business at all she just wants us to get federal government job and all the people she has met only give her assurance and they don't do anything.
Now there's a land my mom purchased 15 years ago she hasn't done anything on that land, anytime we ask her when she plans to build she gets angry and be like nobody will force her to do what she doesn't want to do that she's waiting for buhari to come down so that price of things will fall down and that is never going to happen.
Now I'm 23 I'm still agile,if I don't hustle now please when will I hustle this is what I wants my parents to understand but they just won't understand.
We're 3 in our family and I'm the only son (second born). I really want to build my mom's land that is the main reason why I want to go into the transport business. Now the problem i have is how to convince my mom to get the car(golf 3)for me because I know she's capable. She's financially stable than my dad.

Gather every one hit a family meeting and tell them that the teaching job is not fetching enough to sustain you that you will appreciate if mum can buy a Golf car for you to use as transportation after school hours

I think this is the trick you need to get the car first, then prepare to pull out from the teaching if you can't combine both
Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Acidosis(m): 9:57am On May 30, 2022
IecheM:

I really want to build my mom's land that is the main reason why I want to go into the transport business.

Now the problem i have is how to convince my mom to get the car(golf 3)for me because I know she's capable.

Why the obsession with your mom's land? Your mom's land is why you want a golf 3?

It makes no sense. Please don't say this elsewhere.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by Acidosis(m): 10:04am On May 30, 2022
IecheM:

With 5k daily, you can't complete that house in 7 years. Add 7 years to your current age and ask yourself if all you want to do with your life is build your (wealthy) mom a house from your cab business while your mechanical engineering certificate rots away.

My advice for you, forget about that plan completely. You're a fresh graduate. Focus your attention on building relevant work experience. Make that your priority and work on your ambition.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by ImaIma1(f): 10:15am On May 30, 2022
IecheM:
Goodday nairalanders

Well, my opinion is different.

Your mum might be disappointed that instead of pushing ahead with your career, you want to become a cabu-cabu driver, even after studying a strong course like mech engineering that has good prospects.

Why didn't you explore the option of master's abroad? You are the perfect age, you did a STEM course and your mum might be open to supporting that option better.

Think big. You are too young to settle for this when you can have more. The 18k you are depending on might become valueless in a few months with the way Nigeria is going.

Ultimately it's still your choice to make. All the best.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by RightToReject(m): 1:00pm On May 30, 2022
Take your eyes off your mother in particular and parents in general properties and earnings henceforth; for your mother's own in particular, since she is your main target, you have been viewing them with covetous eyes and that is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen if you do not retrace your steps - eschew a typical inherently greedy element attitude. How, whom and when to give out/make use of her property is her prerogative and should not be forced under any guise into doing so. I wager your next line of action, if she fails to budge to your demand and assuming that you have not started already, will be to subject her to psychological and emotional abuse until you either get what you want from her or institute enmity in the family.

After your parents have seen you through the tertiary institution, thereby bequeathing you one of the best legacies good parents can bequeath to their offspring, it now behooves you to build your hope around your knowledge (skills) with an ultimate focus on mastering the science of wealth creation and sustainability through the use of your already acquired knowledge and continuous acquisition of more knowledge. Learn to build yourself with what you have.

Cultivate the mindset of "what if she does not have any property in her possession."
Re: How Do I Convince My Mom by zed7: 3:47pm On May 30, 2022
Spoken like a 23 year old boy. If I was your mum, I'll buy you the Golf car so you can get your fingers burned. That way, you'll learn valuable life lessons. If I were you, I'd leave your parents alone and focus on finding work. They've done their part, you do yours.

(1) (Reply)

My Wife Want To Send A Lawyer For Agreement / , / Can One Divorce His/her Partner For Being Hiv+,and Especially Hidding It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.