Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,878 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? (14205 Views)

Quiting My Job To Venture Into Tech At 28 - Advice Needed. / How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) / Must Everybody Go Into Tech Or Learn Coding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by LUAN1: 10:23pm On Jul 25, 2022
babakb:

There is no way the hype around Tech can be killed or ignored,
Do you know that there are over a hundred In demand skills in Tech?
Do you know the comfort you get for working Remotely for companies abroad?
Do you know that there are multiple opportunities for being a successful entrepreneur in Tech?
Do you know that there are many developed countries out there that have approved Digital Nomad Visa to attract Tech professionals around the world?
Do you know that "John Oseni" a 16 years old Nigerian was recently hired by an Italian company as Senior Developer with just 2 years experience?

I personally think the Tech Industry is actually under hyped, I will keep singing the song to as many youth as possible to switch to Tech, I'm 38 years but the Tech train will not leave me behind grin grin grin

I just singed for a Web Development and Automation classes, I don't care if the industry becomes saturated, I'm positive, I believe I'm that lost diamond that will always shine in the midst of the desert wink wink wink
please how/where did you signed for the class
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by LUAN1: 10:26pm On Jul 25, 2022
Laryfrosh:

See Bros leave talk! Most persons that got into tech, got in because of the money... But along the line, what keeps you going is the passion... I ain't gonna deny that...
I started learning Web dev in February this year... I can boldly tell you that two things attracted me to tech.
1. The pay
2. The fact that you can work from home. Then, you get to live a low-key life.
But along the line, I became passionate about it.
I have rejected a job in the banking industry just to focus on this part even though I don't know or it is not sure I am gonna get a job so soon after learning and I don't have so much financial strength to carry on for so long but I have chosen that I am gonna stick to it.
I got in with the mindset of just learning front-end development but now, I virtually just want to know everything... Like I want to know how the web works fully(from Front-end to back-end) and even other fields of tech. I am just so curious to acquire knowledge and know more about the field(not just web development alone).
So, telling someone who knows nothing about tech to be driven by passion is like telling a man to fall in love with an woman he is never met or spoken to before.
Something will definitely drive you into the industry but what is gonna keep you is most likely gonna be the passion which you develop as time goes on...
So, please let's minimize this passion stuff for newbies trying to break into the field.
my thoughts though
please how did you start your journey, please can you guide me
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by LUAN1: 10:42pm On Jul 25, 2022
Temmylee01:
sir, Is Dell latitude E6430 3rd gen core i5 500gb 8gb RAM good for programming, and if yes what are the task it capable of doing.

God bless.
please how much did you buy your laptop?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Kvngfrosh(m): 3:47pm On Jul 26, 2022
Ebubu3:

thank you. But do you advice i have my own android phone to share files with my hp while learning web development ? Or its not necessary thus i can use my iphone and not buy android to share file on my hp laptop
If you can get an android, get it.
It’s easier to share files from an android to a windows pc.
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Anayomjo93(m): 1:30pm On Jul 27, 2022
What if i learn python instead of java?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Julius209(m): 12:11pm On Jul 28, 2022
Hannania:
Let me give you a very fast track. There's a company Called Microverse(Microverse.org). It's a company based in USA.

They train you for 7 months, then you use 3 months to look for a remote job. You pay them 15% of your income after your start making $1000. Some of their graduates make $30,000 because the stack they use is fullstack Ruby(HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Ruby and it's framework Ruby and Rails).

They have a one month pre-course, so don't worry if you're a beginner.

The training is on the concept of pair programming, so you'll work with students from all around the world.

If you register now, and get accepted let's say in August, by May next year you're at least a 500k earner.

That's the most practical advice from me, because it's structured, and you're learning with a goal to get a job.

Note: Ruby and rails is a sought after stack in US and Australia, so there's no much competition for developing countries developers.

This advice is just for Software Development.
Other fields of Tech like Product Design, Graphic design, just get a good Udemy course and stick to it for six months while connecting with a community.

All what I mentioned needs dedication. So if you're intentional, by this time next year, you'd smile.

Good luck.
Boss,Thanks you so much for this advice.I followed it and i have been accepted into the program starting in August.I am a student and my fear now is if ASUU call off the strike,how would i cope? Your suggestions are highly welcomed boss
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 28, 2022
Temmylee01:
sir, Is Dell latitude E6430 3rd gen core i5 500gb 8gb RAM good for programming, and if yes what are the task it capable of doing.

God bless.
I am using E6430 ,it is nice and it is very capable of doing programming it rarely lags
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2022
Julius209:
Boss,Thanks you so much for this advice.I followed it and i have been accepted into the program starting in August.I am a student and my fear now is if ASUU call off the strike,how would i cope? Your suggestions are highly welcomed boss
Opt for the UTC -6. It starts from 3pm to 12am Nigerian time. Get close to your class rep, and if possible, Do a data subscription of 10GB for him once in a while.

This is a life changer for you

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Julius209(m): 7:15pm On Jul 28, 2022
Hannania:
Opt for the UTC -6. It starts from 3pm to 12am Nigerian time. Get close to your class rep, and if possible, Do a data subscription of 10GB for him once in a while.

I have opted for the UTC-1 during the application process. I don't know if it can be changed
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 9:00pm On Jul 28, 2022
Julius209:
I have opted for the UTC-1 during the application process. I don't know if it can be changed
Contact them
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Julius209(m): 11:18pm On Jul 28, 2022
Hannania:
Contact them
okay, thank you so much.I appreciate.What are the chances of getting a job after completing the program.?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by kingemaker(m): 10:09pm On Jul 31, 2022
Julius209:
okay, thank you so much.I appreciate.What are the chances of getting a job after completing the program.?

You are their investment. They will ensure you get a job so they can get their 15% back. I'd advice you focus on the skill more. Disregard the money for noe because it'll come. All the best.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Julius209(m): 10:25pm On Jul 31, 2022
kingemaker:

You are their investment. They will ensure you get a job so they can get their 15% back. I'd advice you focus on the skill more. Disregard the money for noe because it'll come. All the best.
Okay boss ,Thank you. I will come back to share my testimony by the Grace of God.Thanks once again. It means a lot to me.
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Shakitibob0: 10:53am On Aug 01, 2022
Hannania:

Bro...Do you think a Non Cs graduate can do this?

An accounting graduate, to be precise..
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 11:35am On Aug 01, 2022
Shakitibob0:
Bro...Do you think a Non Cs graduate can do this?

An accounting graduate, to be precise..

sure.
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by ShedrachU(m): 7:22am On Aug 02, 2022
Lol, everyone going into tech because of the money, not to solve any problem with new ideas. Soon, the market will be saturated & have a whole lot of shity programmers.
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by nigerianjobsinfo: 3:20pm On Aug 05, 2022
Kvngfrosh:

Here

Follow the path below:

1. Learn the basics of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.(Not indept, but basics. On a scale of 10, It should be 5,5 and 6 respectively).

2. Pick up Java. Don't compromise the basics. Learn the syntax and semantics well.

3. Pick up Spring/Spring Boot Frameworks(Understand the MVC)

4. Learn a database. MySQL is ok.

5. Learn Unit testing (This will set you apart and get employers interested in you)

6. Learn Maven, Hibernate, JPA and Maven(These are just implementation processes. Don't be scared. After you learn the basics, you can pick this in 3weeks)

7. Most important part: Build at least two solid projects that implement all the above. Two sold projects are better than vague 10 random projects.

8. If you want to stand out as I did, write one cloud certification. Got Google's scholarship and wrote GCP, and did Microsoft 30 days challenge and got a discount of Azure, which I paid just $40(17k). This will make you irresistible.

All this looks like a lot, but it's what I did in a space of a year. Now our IQ might differ, but dedication and commitment can be the same.

When you do no 7, follow this site to apply for jobs. 2 months after your projects and you'd get a remote pay of $1000 minimum from Poland.

https://justjoin.it/offers/infolet-junior-java-developer-krakow

Thank you for this. I'm justbdone with HTML, CSS and heading to JavaScript.

If anyone decides to follow this path that you suggested, what will the person become after learning?

A front end developer or backnend developer?

Thanks in advance
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by kehnton(m): 8:01pm On Aug 07, 2022
I’m in the same ship. I am awake now.

babakb:

There is no way the hype around Tech can be killed or ignored,
Do you know that there are over a hundred In demand skills in Tech?
Do you know the comfort you get for working Remotely for companies abroad?
Do you know that there are multiple opportunities for being a successful entrepreneur in Tech?
Do you know that there are many developed countries out there that have approved Digital Nomad Visa to attract Tech professionals around the world?
Do you know that "John Oseni" a 16 years old Nigerian was recently hired by an Italian company as Senior Developer with just 2 years experience?

I personally think the Tech Industry is actually under hyped, I will keep singing the song to as many youth as possible to switch to Tech, I'm 38 years but the Tech train will not leave me behind grin grin grin

I just singed for a Web Development and Automation classes, I don't care if the industry becomes saturated, I'm positive, I believe I'm that lost diamond that will always shine in the midst of the desert wink wink wink
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hope2014(m): 11:18am On Aug 09, 2022
Kvngfrosh:

Here

Follow the path below:

1. Learn the basics of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.(Not indept, but basics. On a scale of 10, It should be 5,5 and 6 respectively).

2. Pick up Java. Don't compromise the basics. Learn the syntax and semantics well.

3. Pick up Spring/Spring Boot Frameworks(Understand the MVC)

4. Learn a database. MySQL is ok.

5. Learn Unit testing (This will set you apart and get employers interested in you)

6. Learn Maven, Hibernate, JPA and Maven(These are just implementation processes. Don't be scared. After you learn the basics, you can pick this in 3weeks)

7. Most important part: Build at least two solid projects that implement all the above. Two sold projects are better than vague 10 random projects.

8. If you want to stand out as I did, write one cloud certification. Got Google's scholarship and wrote GCP, and did Microsoft 30 days challenge and got a discount of Azure, which I paid just $40(17k). This will make you irresistible.

All this looks like a lot, but it's what I did in a space of a year. Now our IQ might differ, but dedication and commitment can be the same.

When you do no 7, follow this site to apply for jobs. 2 months after your projects and you'd get a remote pay of $1000 minimum from Poland.

https://justjoin.it/offers/infolet-junior-java-developer-krakow
Still in step 2. It seems Java is very wide. Do you know any online tutorials that could help

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Kvngfrosh(m): 11:23pm On Aug 09, 2022
Hope2014:

Still in step 2. It seems Java is very wide. Do you know any online tutorials that could help
yes it’s wide.
I can’t recommend a tutorial/course but I can recommend this book : Head first Java, 3rd edition.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by irynterri(f): 8:39pm On Aug 19, 2022
Julius209:
Hello, is the class really 8am - 5pm. Or, is there a way one can maneuver the timing?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Zeeknow3245(m): 5:52pm On Aug 21, 2022
My brother sharpaly go and learn UI/UX design. No waste time. Na them dey make money ask all of us for tech, you can easily learn UI/UX and within 6months, land a big job.
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Saverin: 8:07am On Aug 22, 2022
Hannania:
Let me give you a very fast track. There's a company Called Microverse(Microverse.org). It's a company based in USA.

They train you for 7 months, then you use 3 months to look for a remote job. You pay them 15% of your income after your start making $1000. Some of their graduates make $30,000 because the stack they use is fullstack Ruby(HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Ruby and it's framework Ruby and Rails).

They have a one month pre-course, so don't worry if you're a beginner.

The training is on the concept of pair programming, so you'll work with students from all around the world.

If you register now, and get accepted let's say in August, by May next year you're at least a 500k earner.

That's the most practical advice from me, because it's structured, and you're learning with a goal to get a job.

Note: Ruby and rails is a sought after stack in US and Australia, so there's no much competition for developing countries developers.

This advice is just for Software Development.
Other fields of Tech like Product Design, Graphic design, just get a good Udemy course and stick to it for six months while connecting with a community.

All what I mentioned needs dedication. So if you're intentional, by this time next year, you'd smile.

Good luck.

If one register now, which month will one be accepted?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Saverin: 8:11am On Aug 22, 2022
Hannania:
the next cohort begins 27th of this month. July is void.

They have several stages of acceptance:
1. Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, JavaScript and git/Github. If you don't have the skills, you can take a pre-course.(1 month should do this)

2. You solve 2 easy questions on Hackerrank

3. You sign a check-in form to validate your internet speed and ability to speak English.

4. If you pass the 3 stages above, you get paired to three other applicants from round the world to build 3 different projects from Freecodecamp's five projects on responsive web design, Plus solving two more questions from Hackerrank.
You and your reviewers will review each others coding skills, use of GitHub, internet speed and English skills.

5. If they pass you for stage 5 above, you do a 30min interview.

6. If successful, you sign the Income sharing arrangement, provide ID and proof of residence.

Finally, you're in

Please when is the next cohort starting?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 8:15am On Aug 22, 2022
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Avast(m): 9:08am On Aug 22, 2022
Hannania:
Check the dates via this link below.
https://support.microverse.org/en/articles/1908254-when-will-the-program-start-and-what-are-the-application-deadlines#h_bde8738124

Good morning boss, I think someone needs to know js before applying?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 9:17am On Aug 22, 2022
Avast:

Good morning boss, I think someone needs to know js before applying?
Just basics. And not just JS, Use of Git/Github, HTML/CSS. One weeks is enough to grab the basic concepts needed
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Avast(m): 9:18am On Aug 22, 2022
Hannania:
Just basics. And not just JS, Use of Git/Github, HTML/CSS. One weeks is enough to grab the basic concepts needed

Okay thanks

I should be able to join October or November cohort

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Avast(m): 6:14pm On Aug 22, 2022
TechLiberatedMe

How far, have you started anything or you still searching for path?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Julius209(m): 3:17pm On Aug 23, 2022
irynterri:
Hello, is the class really 8am - 5pm. Or, is there a way one can maneuver the timing?
yes you can maneuver it by changing your Time to UTC -6(3pm -12am)
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Najdorf: 4:26pm On Aug 23, 2022
Fr4nk:

Don't take this as me trying to discourage you, but Sir, you don't need to go into tech, doing something in tech WILL not magically change your life, you are free to try if you're up for the challenge, but I think you should look into other options were your strengths will benefit you, instead of wasting time jumping into tech that might not even favour you.
Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? / Please Can You Recommend A Good Computer ICT Training Center? / I Can Code In 75 Languages!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.