Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,859 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:06 PM

I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? (14114 Views)

Quiting My Job To Venture Into Tech At 28 - Advice Needed. / How Did You Get Into Tech?(what Motivated You, Downfalls, What Discourage You) / Must Everybody Go Into Tech Or Learn Coding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by TechLiberatedMe: 2:58pm On Jun 01, 2022
ReactJs:
Bro you need to reorient yourself with regards to how focused you are about the monetary benefits of a career path you've not even started. One of the things that drives people to get into "tech" is money no doubt but you're probably not going to stick around to make that money if that money is your only motivation because it might relatively take a while before you start seeing that money.

Another thing is nobody can really decide for you what aspect of tech to focus . you're going to have to do your own intensive research so as to know beforehand what you're actually getting yourself into.

Whatever aspect you later pick, you can now start finding people in that domain for more in-depth suggestions about how you should go about it. That way, you make it easier for everyone involved.

On a side note, guys, quite a number of people send me requests to chat privately. I'm sorry I can't respond for personal reasons.
Thank you for your contributions Boss
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by TechLiberatedMe: 3:02pm On Jun 01, 2022
Hello Seniors, thank you for the contributions so far. I really appreciate.

I am now thinking of choosing between Software Development and Data Science.

Kindly assist with the Pros and Cons

Please note that other Newbies will also benefit from your wealth of knowledge.

Thank you.

cc: Seun
tensazangetsu20, Misterrobot, reactjs, hannania, Wisdomremz, Ejiod, mcemmy0z, airsaylongcome
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by airsaylongcome: 3:07pm On Jun 01, 2022
TechLiberatedMe:
I understand your point Senior. Than you

Don't get me wrong though, everyone must be driven by something. For some it's passion. For others, it's money. And everyone is right to choose whatever it is that drives them. Been driven by money is not in anyway a bad thing. My personal position is that for those driven by money, when the money leaves they will also leave tech. A lot of people dive into entertainment now because there's a lot of money there. And that's good. But the profession itself (whether it's music or Tech) is driven by those who have a passion for it irrespective of the monetary rewards. There was a time when the music scene was dominated by Ras Kimono and Evi Edna Ogoli. By Alex O, Alex Zito and Blackky. These guys barely made money the way today's entertainers earn millions. But they churned out track after track. LP after LP. Because it was what they had passion for. All of their hardwork is what today's entertainers are reaping from. It's the same in tech. A lot of folks who went into CS in Nigeria back in the day were seen as never-do-wells. As failures and at some point as Yahoo boys.

My point? Whatever it is that drives you is fine, don't just assume that it is the same thing that drives others in the same profession. I wish you all the best and God-speed as you consider a career change to tech. And I pray that you find financial success in that change

14 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by TechLiberatedMe: 3:12pm On Jun 01, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Don't get me wrong though, everyone must be driven by something. For some it's passion. For others, it's money. And everyone is right to choose whatever it is that drives them. Been driven by money is not in anyway a bad thing. My personal position is that for those driven by money, when the money leaves they will also leave tech. A lot of people dive into entertainment now because there's a lot of money there. And that's good. But the profession itself (whether it's music or Tech) is driven by those who have a passion for it irrespective of the monetary rewards. There was a time when the music scene was dominated by Ras Kimono and Evi Edna Ogoli. By Alex O, Alex Zito and Blackky. These guys barely made money the way today's entertainers earn millions. But they churned out track after track. LP after LP. Because it was what they had passion for. All of their hardwork is what today's entertainers are reaping from. It's the same in tech. A lot of folks who went into CS in Nigeria back in the day were seen as never-do-wells. As failures and at some point as Yahoo boys.

My point? Whatever it is that drives you is fine, don't just assume that it is the same thing that drives others in the same profession. I wish you all the best and God-speed as you consider a career change to tech. And I pray that you find financial success in that change
I totally understand your argument. I also noted that "most" NOT all are motivated by money. Like I said, I truly understand your view point and I appreciate your contribution. Thank you once again Senior.
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2022
TechLiberatedMe:

Thank you.

tensazangetsu20, Misterrobot, reactjs, hannania, Wisdomremz, Ejiod, mcemmy0z, airsaylongcome
Data science is not a field that newbies would see progress in early on. Data Analyst role is different though. Other fields of tech are easily developed to job ready skills in a year.

Make research, check job portals and see the requirements. In this field, your ability to source info is the main skill.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by flexible001(m): 3:22pm On Jun 01, 2022
TechLiberatedMe:
Hmmm... This sounds so fascinating. Thanks a million.
thanks pals
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by airsaylongcome: 3:22pm On Jun 01, 2022
TechLiberatedMe:

Thank you.

tensazangetsu.20, Misterrobo.t, reactj.s, hannani.a, Wisdomrem.z, Ejio.d, mcemmy0.z

I used to be a huge proponent for Data Science but I have since reviewed that position. If you have streamlined your choices to Dev vs Data Science I would say pick Dev. You are more likely to find early success in Dev than in DS especially as success in DS requires higher requirements for entry-level. Often you will need a PhD to really hit it big in DS. This is my personal opinion and not necessarily a true reflection of the professions.

Also, I like to encourage people to look at other entry points such as Helpdesk and Technical support. These often are low hanging fruits that can get your foot in the door to start earning a decent income while you progress. There's currently a few Tech Support openings I have referred some people to as a gateway into tech. HotJar is currently looking for Tech Support folks and are offering €50k per annum for someone with good and verifiable knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Applied for the the opening for the fun of it and was dropped at the 2nd stage because I could not convincingly prove I have good knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS even though I could answer ALL of the questions they asked. This was because my work experience was not purely in HTML/CSS/JS.

I'm a bit of a generalist and I can understand their reluctance. I'm presently looking at an opening for a Canadian company that built an inventory management software. I'm an IT person but held a job deploying and managing a Warehouse Management System so I understand the challenges and problems but the company is a bit hesitant. And I understand why. Because my experience is a bit all over the place.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by airsaylongcome: 3:25pm On Jun 01, 2022
Hannania:
Data science is not a field that newbies would see progress in early on. Data Analyst role is different though. Other fields of tech are easily developed to job ready skills in a year.

Make research, check job portals and see the requirements. In this field, your ability to source info is the main skill.

Some of your recent posts have started putting you on my radar. I am very impressed by some of the stuff you have posted lately and I have my "corner eye" on you (in a good way)

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 3:51pm On Jun 01, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Some of your recent posts have started putting you on my radar. I am very impressed by some of the stuff you have posted lately and I have my "corner eye" on you (in a good way)
You're part of our motivation chain grin

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by TechLiberatedMe: 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2022
airsaylongcome:

I used to be a huge proponent for Data Science but I have since reviewed that position. If you have streamlined your choices to Dev vs Data Science I would say pick Dev. You are more likely to find early success in Dev than in DS especially as success in DS requires higher requirements for entry-level. Often you will need a PhD to really hit it big in DS. This is my personal opinion and not necessarily a true reflection of the professions.

Also, I like to encourage people to look at other entry points such as Helpdesk and Technical support. These often are low hanging fruits that can get your foot in the door to start earning a decent income while you progress. There's currently a few Tech Support openings I have referred some people to as a gateway into tech. HotJar is currently looking for Tech Support folks and are offering €50k per annum for someone with good and verifiable knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Applied for the the opening for the fun of it and was dropped at the 2nd stage because I could not convincingly prove I have good knowledge of HTML/CSS/JS even though I could answer ALL of the questions they asked. This was because my work experience was not purely in HTML/CSS/JS.

I'm a bit of a generalist and I can understand their reluctance. I'm presently looking at an opening for a Canadian company that built an inventory management software. I'm an IT person but held a job deploying and managing a Warehouse Management System so I understand the challenges and problems but the company is a bit hesitant. And I understand why. Because my experience is a bit all over the place.
Hmmmm
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by airsaylongcome: 4:02pm On Jun 01, 2022
TechLiberatedMe:
Hmmmm

Lol! Exactly why I laughed when you asked for the highest paying most enviable role. Now you don confuse abi grin
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by TechLiberatedMe: 4:04pm On Jun 01, 2022
Hannania:

I hear people say Data Science/Analysis. I never knew they could be separated as a career path. kindly expatiate on the differences.

There is this Thread "Chronicle of a Data Scientist/Data Analyst" by Ejiod. I have not gone through from page 1 to the end ( I'm still on page 25). I think he stated somewhere that one can begin to make money in the first year and then continue learning and getting better.

What can you tell me about that please? Thank you
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by TechLiberatedMe: 4:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! Exactly why I laughed when you asked for the highest paying most enviable role. Now you don confuse abi grin
Lol. Boss, no be say I confuse but I feel I wasted almost a decade of my life doing the wrong thing. I was very good at what I did, in fact, other staff members wanted to be like me. I was the example.

Unfortunately, I had to resign at a point and reality dawn on me that the job did not build as much value as someone like me would want. If I invested that number of years in a Tech field, I know how much value I would have added to myself.

That's why I want to go into Tech now but I don't want to do trial and error. I want you Seniors to guide me. And once I choose a particular field, I will give it all it takes and tell myself that there is no going back.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by FlameHashira: 5:43pm On Jun 01, 2022
Millz404:

But you need to know what the hell is happening in nodejs and MySQL first...so the steps still valid
Yepp
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by FlameHashira: 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2022
BRATISLAVA:

Forget about the field to get into. How have you been since the Akaza incident?
Akaza what? Maybe cause I watched demon slayer anime today but I might be tripping, which akaza incident?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Fr4nk(m): 7:56pm On Jun 01, 2022
I don't mean to be off topic, but what can we actually do to kill the hype around tech,
I think it's unsettling that a lot of people are migrating into tech careers just for the pay,
I mean, it would be nice to come across a Nigerian doing research and developing some cutting edge advancement in tech, who knows, maybe if we had more people like that, technological innovation could be one of those things that would make Nigerian Standout just like Music has done.

I don't know if this makes any sense but, its on here anyway

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Millz404(m): 8:50pm On Jun 01, 2022
Fr4nk:
I don't mean to be off topic, but what can we actually do to kill the hype around tech,
I think it's unsettling that a lot of people are migrating into tech careers just for the pay,
I mean, it would be nice to come across a Nigerian doing research and developing some cutting edge advancement in tech, who knows, maybe if we had more people like that, technological innovation could be one of those things that would make Nigerian Standout just like Music has done.

Nigeria is already doing good in tech. Nigeria has the highest tech funding coming to Africa and called the tech hub of Africa. There are still a lot to improve upon but I believe we are on track.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by airsaylongcome: 9:06pm On Jun 01, 2022
Fr4nk:

Gbam! This is why I am forever in support of people getting a degree in Computing. A lot of the tools used today were the result of of University R&grin. If everyone goes to a bootcamp or tech hub in Nigeria who is going to drive research? You aren't off topic at all

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by mcemmy0z: 9:16pm On Jun 01, 2022
Data science
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Fr4nk(m): 11:06pm On Jun 01, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Gbam! This is why I am forever in support of people getting a degree in Computing. A lot of the tools used today were the result of of University R&grin. If everyone goes to a bootcamp or tech hub in Nigeria who is going to drive research? You aren't off topic at all

I'm glad someone agrees
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:09pm On Jun 01, 2022
Fr4nk:

Research are done at the universities. Our universities are all shitholes. I really cant blame people who come into tech cause of money cause I did. I only code for money. Food needs to be put on the table and there are bills to settle. It used to be engineering and then working in oil and gas and one could have a good life then medicine or law. Now is the time of tech so expect a lot of people to come in. The salaries we look down on so many people will never earn it even after 20 years experience in their fields. My mother is a senior resident doctor and my first remote job salary is more than her present salary with more than 15 years of work experience. People will naturally gravitate to what will pay the bills and we shouldnt discourage them. Also, not everyone will make it. I think we make things look easy. To get my entry level job, I studied for at least 10 hours everyday for 6 months. I work now daily for 8 hours and after that I still need to spend at least 5 hours learning new things. Leetcode alone will humble so many many people especially if they take the programming parts of tech.

18 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 01, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You cannot take a big brush and paint everyone as driven by money. That's a fallacy of generalisation. Where was the money when I wrote my first program circa 1994? Where was the money when my first choice for JAMB was computer science whereas most other people came to CS after being rejected by their preferred courses and CS was their third choice? Where was the money when I built home networks and messed around with different software at home and I was looked at as mad and a lazy NFA? Take the so-called money from Tech today and I'm still going to remain here. A lot of us do it for the passion not for the money or fame

How old were you in 1994, that you wrote your first programme?

Just curious, I come in peace cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by airsaylongcome: 12:39am On Jun 02, 2022
truthsayer009:

How old were you in 1994, that you wrote your first programme?

Just curious, I come in peace cheesy

Lol! I'm not bringing that leg outside. But suffice it to say that at that time, we saved programs on Radio Casette. TDK Casettes were the most preferred
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 1:13am On Jun 02, 2022
Fr4nk:

More people is a good thing. The more interest tech draws, the more the brain nuts are drawn to it and what you're hoping for gets achieved.

India is not a leader of tech outsourcing today because they have passion for it, but because their population and poverty rate made majority to venture into tech to better the lives of their families.

Today, every major tech firm in the world has a regional headquarters in India. From Mumbai to Hyderabad.

So let Nigerians fluck in, it's a good thing.
California alone has close to 700k software engineers, that's same number for the whole developers in Africa.

So it's not a bad thing, Venture capitalist investing in tech hubs here shows we're getting it right.

10 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Nobody: 1:37am On Jun 02, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! I'm not bringing that leg outside. But suffice it to say that at that time, we saved programs on Radio Casette. TDK Casettes were the most preferred
shocked
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Kvngfrosh(m): 9:43am On Jun 02, 2022
FlameHashira:

Akaza what? Maybe cause I watched demon slayer anime today but I might be tripping, which akaza incident?
Akaza killed Rengoku naw cheesy.
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by FlameHashira: 10:42am On Jun 02, 2022
Kvngfrosh:
Akaza killed Rengoku naw cheesy.
OHHHHH XDDDDD the name, yea.....it hurt a little bit but atleast I set my heart ablaze and kamado kun has found his way, look how he danced with upper six siblings with Tengen
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Ejiod(m): 11:14am On Jun 02, 2022
TechLiberatedMe:

Thank you.

Blockchain(Solidity or Rust) and if possible ioT development

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Qinglong(m): 12:48pm On Jun 02, 2022
Hannania:
Let me give you a very fast track. There's a company Called Microverse(Microverse.org). It's a company based in USA.

If you register now, and get accepted let's say in August, by May next year you're at least a 500k earner.
Hi, just wondering why you mentioned August for acceptance. Do they take several months to accept applicants into their program?
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Hannania(m): 1:02pm On Jun 02, 2022
Qinglong:

Hi, just wondering why you mentioned August for acceptance. Do they take several months to accept applicants into their program?
the next cohort begins 27th of this month. July is void.

They have several stages of acceptance:
1. Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, JavaScript and git/Github. If you don't have the skills, you can take a pre-course.(1 month should do this)

2. You solve 2 easy questions on Hackerrank

3. You sign a check-in form to validate your internet speed and ability to speak English.

4. If you pass the 3 stages above, you get paired to three other applicants from round the world to build 3 different projects from Freecodecamp's five projects on responsive web design, Plus solving two more questions from Hackerrank.
You and your reviewers will review each others coding skills, use of GitHub, internet speed and English skills.

5. If they pass you for stage 5 above, you do a 30min interview.

6. If successful, you sign the Income sharing arrangement, provide ID and proof of residence.

Finally, you're in

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by von02: 1:10pm On Jun 02, 2022
Hannania:

1. Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, JavaScript and git/Github. If you don't have the skills, you can take a pre-course.(1 month should do this)

3. You sign a check-in form to validate your internet speed and ability to speak English.

4. If you pass the 3 stages above, you get paired to three other applicants from round the world to build 3 different projects from Freecodecamp's five projects on responsive web design, Plus solving two more questions from Hackerrank.
You and your reviewers will review each others coding skills, use of GitHub, internet speed and English skills.

6. If successful, you sign the Income sharing arrangement, provide ID and proof of residence.

Finally, you're in

Which program is this sir, I'm interested
Re: I Want To Go Into Tech; What Field Should I Choose? by Qinglong(m): 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2022
Hannania:

Finally, you're in
Thank you very much. I won't be able to save up for a laptop until around September tho since I'm currently doing my national service; I hope I can still register around that period if I'm still interested in this?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Make a DESKTOP Executable Software Using PHP,MYSQL,SQLITE / The 3 Types Of Developers You Will Find In Africa. Which 1 Are You? / Please Can You Recommend A Good Computer ICT Training Center?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.