Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Should I Drop Out Or Not? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Drop Out Or Not? (13321 Views)

Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Pursuing Money Vs Education: Should I Drop Out Of School? / Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by JohnnA1: 5:16pm On Jun 01, 2022
planetE:
Since you do not have intense passion for the course that you are currently studying, I will gladly advice you to change your path to where your desires and strength lie. Your age is not a factor to be put into consideration because you are still relatively young. So do not follow the path that will make you unhappy and frustrated for the rest of your life.

God1000:
I think you should change course instead of dropping out

@Kibbs
With what I've read so far, my advice is to follow the counsels above.

Don't follow the ''finish your present course'' replies, that's the Nigerian mentality kicking in as Nigerians are accustomed to suffering and smiling.

Prayerfully switch courses when the opportunity presents itself, and do the IT certification courses on the side.

In short, Follow Your Bliss...

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by ibizgirl(f): 5:18pm On Jun 01, 2022
Don't drop out. Continue your course and get your certificate but while you are at it, write IT certification courses. It's your certification and knowledge that matters most. What are you doing with your self this Strike period?
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by VlamesIffect(f): 5:31pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:
I'm 22, currently in my 3rd year (first semester) of a 5year course - Elect Elect. The problem is it's a course I have no passion or likeness for.

A lot of days, since 20lvl to be exact, I'm in class and I'm like "What am I doing here?". I see how my coursemates faces light up when something new is being taught or when practicals are going on but it's the exact opposite for me. I'm unattentive in 80% of the classes and no matter how hard I try, I'm never as focused during practicals like the rest cus I just don't have any interest in going on.

The two solutions I'm considering :
The first is to change courses, although that will set me back a year which means I'll be 25 by the time I'm done, 26 if NYSC is calculated. I already lost 4yrs waiting for admission so the thought of being setback another year makes me cringe esp when I'll be just a few years from 30 when I'm eventually done. That is if the possibility of yet another ASUU strike isn't considered o. Time is precious.

The second is just dropping out and maybe going to one of the recognised IT institutions to study an industry course cus I still have interest in IT related stuff. Infact, it was once a discussion during the days I was still home struggling to get into school so I'm sure I'll be backed. If I were to change courses sef in school, it would've been computer science. Another advantage of this for me is I'll be in Lagos permanently where I'll have opportunities to do several other things I want to do by the side as opposed to being in Ogbomosho (which is dead) where my school is. I never wanted to leave lag in the first place bit unilag had other ideas.

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

Would appreciate if this was moved to fp.

I was exactly like you in a top medical sciences course in a top federal uni in Nigeria. In short i had same issues with parents back in the day. I was forced into the medical line but i wanted engineering. I asked myself what the hell am i doing here? I was done with all this. I know your pain, i know your exact pain. I eventually stopped attending classes then i dropped out to discover what i wanted in life. The journey wasn't easy trust me you need balls big fvvcking balls to stand by what you want. & Going against people who spent money on you. Well at the end it was worth it for me. Your story can never be as mine. It depends on you.

If you're already doing something else that you have a passion for and has the potential to make it big then go for it. If you looking to start afresh on an unknown path then just close your eyes & finish trust me it's just 2 years. The time Will still pass anyway. It depends on what you do with it. This is as practical as it can get.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by frozen70(f): 5:32pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:
I'm 22, currently in my 3rd year (first semester) of a 5year course - Elect Elect. The problem is it's a course I have no passion or likeness for.

A lot of days, since 20lvl to be exact, I'm in class and I'm like "What am I doing here?". I see how my coursemates faces light up when something new is being taught or when practicals are going on but it's the exact opposite for me. I'm unattentive in 80% of the classes and no matter how hard I try, I'm never as focused during practicals like the rest cus I just don't have any interest in going on.

The first is to change courses, although that will set me back a year which means I'll be 25 by the time I'm done, 26 if NYSC is calculated. I already lost 4yrs waiting for admission so the thought of being setback another year makes me cringe esp when I'll be just a few years from 30 when I'm eventually done. That is if the possibility of yet another ASUU strike isn't considered o. Time is precious.

The second is just dropping out and maybe going to one of the recognised IT institutions to study an industry course cus I still have interest in IT related stuff. Infact, it was once a discussion during the days I was still home struggling to get into school so I'm sure I'll be backed. If I were to change courses sef in school, it would've been computer science. Another advantage of this for me is I'll be in Lagos permanently where I'll have opportunities to do several other things I want to do by the side as opposed to being in Ogbomosho (which is dead) where my school is. I never wanted to leave lag in the first place bit unilag had other ideas.

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

I think I will advise you change course and still do another course after graduation

You can then do the IT course after your service

With all this you will still graduate before 30yr and go for youth service

Don't drop it will worsen the case because of the stigmaythat you dropped out of school

Not every one will know that you are not interested in the course

They will assume that you failed and was expelled from school

Get that BSc and then you come over to Lagos for the ITC
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by cavreek: 5:49pm On Jun 01, 2022
Elect elect engineering is one of the most lucrative engineering there is coupled with the fact that there are a lot of opportunities
Left for me just finish well and explore the numerous opportunities that exist in the course and u will be grateful u did
There are times that u just have to do tins not for passion sake

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by GloriousGbola: 5:54pm On Jun 01, 2022
Ironically you can still tie electrical engineering to it related courses and coding.

The most important thing is to get a 2.1
If you are that bright, you can run cisco/networking related courses in parallel.

You can also teach yourself python.

The important thing is you come out of uni with actual marketable skills.

Personally I will avoid pushing anyone to any course. Whether a course pays you or not depends on your drive, your exposure, your networking.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by YahooG(m): 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2022
Dropout,use your school fees,buy legit tools,learn hustle,in 5months you fit cashout na 50/50,Buy land in an undeveloped area,open a tattoo shop that has unisex barbing saloon,snooker in it,and a coded bar for kushing,

What the hell em I typing,man!!!I am so higggghhh!!
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by thatigboman1: 6:19pm On Jun 01, 2022
Op, Elect/Elect are computer gurus too naa. Continue your studies, get IT certifications. Wherever Computer Science graduate works, Elect/Elect works their too and more.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by thatigboman1: 6:20pm On Jun 01, 2022
GloriousGbola:
Ironically you can still tie electrical engineering to it related courses and coding.

The most important thing is to get a 2.1
If you are that bright, you can run cisco/networking related courses in parallel.

You can also teach yourself python.

The important thing is you come out of uni with actual marketable skills.

Personally I will avoid pushing anyone to any course. Whether a course pays you or not depends on your drive, your exposure, your networking.

exactly. Same thing i advised him. Elect/Elect are computer gurus too.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by pizapato(m): 6:23pm On Jun 01, 2022
SmartyPants:

An extra year is nothing. I was 26 when I went back to school to start all over in a second degree. In the grand scheme of your life, where you may hopefully live up to 70 and more, that one year will be absolutely nothing.

But are you certain it is comp science you really want? i would advise that you start taking some IT courses now before you switch so that you can be sure.

Education is best when you enjoy it so don't labour through something that you won't even be able to defend )since you don't pay attention).

There is no need whatsoever to switch courses.

There is a tight connection between EEE and computer science. All he needs to do is to start learning how to code from now while studying to complete his first degree in EEE.

Once he has mastered coding, he will start to see the connection between the two fields and how he can harness the knowledge from the fields

Electrical cars and autonomous vehicles are examples of the connection between the fields.

Look at the big picture

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by miqos02(m): 6:25pm On Jun 01, 2022
Lordbinsmar:
angry

Lastly, don't let any stupid Nigerian tell you say school naa scam no answer them ooo. They want to spoil your life..
20 likes
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by ismodiwa(m): 6:27pm On Jun 01, 2022
I can't see any point that warrants drop out here.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by dettolgel: 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

In my opinion finished the course with good grades look for MSc in computer related field. From. There you can move into CS without loosing years.

Unless it is unbearable and you can't do it.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by SmartyPants(m): 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2022
pizapato:

There is no need whatsoever to switch courses.

There is a tight connection between EEE and computer science. All he needs to do is to start learning how to code from now while studying to complete his first degree in EEE.

Once he has mastered coding, he will start to see the connection between the two fields and how he can harness the knowledge from the fields

Electrical cars and autonomous vehicles are examples of the connection between the fields.

Look at the big picture

The need lies in the fact that he's not enjoying it and is not learning effectively. What kind of electrical engineer is he going to become by putting in the bare minimum effort? The big picture isn't about getting a degree and then finding a way to use it.

It's about pursuing what you have genuine passion for so that you can learn it well, think well, come out and become a solution maker.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Quebee28(f): 6:40pm On Jun 01, 2022
englishmart:
Just try and complete it, then you completely abandon the certificate. I KNow of a medical doctor that's currently a shoe cobbler and a petrochemical engineer that's selling suya.
haha,Bros be calming down na
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by tbliss22(m): 6:49pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

See, one funny thing about life lately is that it has got too many distractions. Guy you are in 300 level at 22?

That's pretty cool if you ask me, Engineering courses will sharpen up your critical thinking big time. I suggest you hang on (less than 3years to go) and grab your certificate.

Tech sector is indeed the hottest now, but the truth is its really wide and you need a good degree to stand firm on to dive into tech, not as a requirement thou but you easily digest all based on the drilling from engineering background.

Finally, try and concentrate to finish this program even if you end up with 2-2. @ 25 you're good to go into the job market.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by wine4dguy: 6:57pm On Jun 01, 2022
This is a special case of a mental health condition called ADHD Please don't let it ruin your life get help from a doctor as soon as possible

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by dacillin: 7:18pm On Jun 01, 2022
It seems that village people are following the OP and those advising him to change course.

OP, if you read comments from page 2, people who had already studied EE have advised you better..........likewise your mum, she is right.

All i can deduce from your narrative is that you want to make quick money, probably as a result of schooling in Lautech.

Did you think they will teach you IT skill even if you study computer science? Did you think IT is not more brain tasking? Did you think you can become IT guru in least than 5 years? See IT is somehow frustrating at times.

EE and computer science is somehow connected. Continue with your EE and learn IT skill online. By 500L you will see everything is related and by the time you graduated you will appreciate this.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by AlphaTaikun: 7:22pm On Jun 01, 2022
Lordbinsmar:
angry

Guy no jonze yourself oo. EE is one of the best engineering discipline oo. You can easily dive into IT sector if you are sound in EE. Some of the top guys in EE department during my days in OAU are fully into software engineering and the like. I studied mechanical engineering, but I am about to start my IT career through my masters programme. The IT part covers areas like internet of things, data analysis, autonomous systems, digital twin, virtual and argumented reality. It's just a specialization in my MSC course. I have seen several schorlars on Linkdlin with engineering background such as mech, elect, chemical and civil having an IT career.

Also, if you feel you really want to study computer science, start afresh, but make sure you have a solid GPA. A first class if possible.

Lastly, don't let any stupid Nigerian tell you say school naa scam no answer them ooo. They want to spoil your life..
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by SPAMBOX7: 8:25pm On Jun 01, 2022
I dropped out school in 2019 and all my mates who are graduates now they broke asf.. That no mean say if you drop out you go make am I. We have different paths choose wisely

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Bbbw: 8:48pm On Jun 01, 2022
Don’t take decisions that you will live to regret
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by JohnnA1: 9:12pm On Jun 01, 2022
VlamesIffect:

I was exactly like you in a top medical sciences course in a top federal uni in Nigeria. In short i had same issues with parents back in the day. I was forced into the medical line but i wanted engineering. I asked myself what the hell am i doing here? I was done with all this. I know your pain, i know your exact pain. I eventually stopped attending classes then i dropped out to discover what i wanted in life. The journey wasn't easy trust me you need Valle big fvvcking balls to stand by what you want. & Going against people who spent money on you. Well at the end it was worth it for me. Your story can never be as mine. It depends on you.

If you're already doing something else that you have a passion for and has the potential to make it big then go for it. If you looking to start afresh on an unknown path then just close your eyes & finish trust me it's just 2 years. The time Will still pass anyway. It depends on what you do with it. This is as practical as it can get.
Good you made that switch when you did.
Good for you.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Eastcoastboy(m): 9:47pm On Jun 01, 2022
UchennaEjima:
I will be turning 50 in a few months time, I worked in Financial Services for almost 2 decades, rising to Regional Management Position, I studied Engineering and had an Msc and MBA!! None of these were my true callings nor aligned to the talents God imbued me with. I was in your circumstances in Secondary School; English and History were my standout subjects and I excelled in them, making an A2 and A1 respectively.

But as a very 'intelligent' student I was encouraged or rather compelled to do sciences. I can't say I have regrets about the path I took in life because I have made a huge success out of it, but I always knew I could have done better in a vocation that was my true calling and could harness the talents God imbued in me, and I am today moving in that direction in seeking for self actualization.

So, you are still young!! You can move in the direction your heart and head directs you, but be sure you are not running away from challenges!!

An Old Gee has said it all.

I for one was in Science class for a term and every fiber in me then knew I'm not supposed to be here. Like I couldn't grasp sh*t aside some little little Biology.

The next term I took the bold step went to my Principal's office told him I don't want to be in Science, Nigga sent me out! And later called me back and said if my parent comes to beg later he will not listen, I said yes. And that's it. You can't blame me, I couldn't solve a single Maths talk more of Chemistry, physics and the rest. And I feel the reason why is because I can't cram, I still can't. And in Science if you can cram formulas and al, you're good to go.

While in Art and Humanities it explores your mind.

Well they all play their vital role in our day to day life activities.

Omoh! Make una try dey rate Art abeg.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Eastcoastboy(m): 10:02pm On Jun 01, 2022
SPAMBOX7:
I dropped out school in 2019 and all my mates who are graduates now they broke asf.. That no mean say if you drop out you go make am I. We have different paths choose wisely

Gutter attitude.. So you dey very sure say you get money pass all your mate? This nonsense competitive mentality has to stop.

Who TF! Are you? You think say na by that one? who you get money pass today fit help you tomorrow or attend your burial.

So just dey do your thing, dey thank God, no dey rope in people into your personal matters.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Ajibade123(m): 10:33pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome
just struggle to get the degree
you can learn the IT or computer science whether offline of online simultaneously without necessarily studying computer science and
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Ajibade123(m): 10:37pm On Jun 01, 2022
Kibbs:

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

you can also consider switching course to an IT related course like statistics or math if switching to computer science is impossible
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by papajingolo(m): 10:46pm On Jun 01, 2022
what you need presently to tackle your issue is 1. Try to read a self development, self conscious book like THE POWER OF NOW. Then you will realise that what you facing presently is a normal thing that may give you the motivation to carry on with that your course(Elect Elect).
2. I am not saying you shouldn't change your course but I can definitely tell you that schooling will tire you and you may drop out eventually if you are planning to go to Nigerian public institution. If you can endure and finish that one fess, then there are computer (IT stuffs that you can learn to Urgument your Elect Elect and you are good to go

3.may be peer pressure is the cause of distraction chill and relax. There are opportunities in Elect Elect too. All of us cannot be IT techy . It is just their time . Remember that some years ago Doctors too was over hyped. . Pray for Gods mercy. Peace ✌️
Also check the friends you are moving with in school, who are the what are they into, if it's not something progressive like ambitious change them

Also school church too can/will help, e get some gurus wey be churchy type and they are master of something that is making them cool cash, they don't live extravagant lifestyle, yes them plenty for church, if you can be mumu to those people and move with them I can assure you that your life will transform and you won't even reason this matter again till you graduate because by then things will be working out for you. Can I say the major reason for you to conceive this thought is because things are not Soo smooth for you and you feel that changing to computer will give you all that you need. If it is that case My brother Na LIE YOU LIE FOR YOURSELF OO CAUSE THIS LIFE IS COMPLEX
Kibbs:

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by oluwamitomisin: 10:58pm On Jun 01, 2022
The problem here is that you don't understand what EEE is about yet.

Please DM?
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Newusername(m): 11:01pm On Jun 01, 2022
We have similar problem the only difference is that I am in 200l(Mechanical). What I will advised is that finish up and begin your journey on IT now, cause that is what I am currently doing.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:36am On Jun 02, 2022
So far, I'm yet to see anything that suggests such.

solomonope:

Your mom is correct in some way, Electrical Engineering is broad and you can specialize in many similar fields later.

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:38am On Jun 02, 2022
basil123:
Bros please finish the Elect-Elect course. Organizations are available to train you on ICT courses for free (intern) with an Elect-Elect degree. The degree could open doors for you in other fields. Please be open minded and grab opportunities as they come.

This is an eye opener. Thanks
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:39am On Jun 02, 2022
wpadmin:
You are in your third year already. Don't drop out brother.

While in school, I knew people that were studying other courses and learnt programming and other IT related courses.

Finish Electrical but enrol for IT courses either online or offline.

At the end, you'll have both your degree and a professional certification in IT.

Also have in mind that dropping out and enrolling for computer science does not mean that you will be really good at any IT skill. Most of the syllabus in our schools are outdated.

Both the syllabus and the teaching resources. The person in charge of the practicals legit told us the equipment's we're currently using are the same she used in her undergraduate days in the school as well. She is a grandma o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Meet Your Heroes And Get Them To Partner With You In Career / Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back / ICAN Registrations Exemptions Exam Fees And Other Matters Arising

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.