Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Should I Drop Out Or Not? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Drop Out Or Not? (13320 Views)

Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Pursuing Money Vs Education: Should I Drop Out Of School? / Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:43am On Jun 02, 2022
This here is what I think a lot of people might not understand sha. I'm trying to avoid a scenario where I'll be sad as an adult doing 9-5

DKM123:

Even if you graduate and get a job that has to do with Elect Eng, you will hate the job as well.
What is the essence of life if you aren't happy in it. Do what makes you happy.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:47am On Jun 02, 2022
Believe me, I could write another epistle about this but to keep short and simple, my passion has nothing to do with uni. I wish I discovered what I wanted earlier in life like others but it is what it is.

FILEBE:
Whatever it is. Please don't drop out!

What exactly is your passion? Answer this and you hVe solved half of the problem.

Then, does your passion needs you to be in UNIVERSITY? If yes, you could consider a change of course
If NO, finish your current course . Just 2 years remaining. While you follow the route of your passion.

One thing I can never take away from school is the socials, the connections, the people you meet, The like minds and the inspirations you get from them. You hVe friends ? Yeah? Make una move together to enlighten , help , educate each other. You will kneed these knowledge later on.

Please whatever it is. Don't drop out.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:50am On Jun 02, 2022
Advice noted bit I have to ask....

What is interesting about all these wires and laws to you people? Not me sha.

phemmyfour:
Don't drop my course, well apart from it being an interesting branch of engineering, it gives you a wide range of opportunities in the labour market. You are almost through, why don't you complete it and go for your second degree
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:52am On Jun 02, 2022
This cracked me up for real. Your input is duly noted. Thanks

JohnnA1:

Don't follow the ''finish your present course'' replies, that's the Nigerian mentality kicking in as Nigerians are accustomed to suffering and smiling.

Prayerfully switch courses when the opportunity presents itself, and do the IT certification courses on the side.

In short, Follow Your Bliss...

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:54am On Jun 02, 2022
ibizgirl:
Don't drop out. Continue your course and get your certificate but while you are at it, write IT certification courses. It's your certification and knowledge that matters most. What are you doing with your self this Strike period?

If only my parents had gotten me a laptop like I'd been crying for since 2017, I would've been an expert coder or UI/UX/graphics designer by now. So many opportunities passed me by cus I didn't and still don't have a laptop. Pains me by the day but I don't have much of a choice here.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 12:56am On Jun 02, 2022
This X1000000000000000000000

SmartyPants:

The need lies in the fact that he's not enjoying it and is not learning effectively. What kind of electrical engineer is he going to become by putting in the bare minimum effort? The big picture isn't about getting a degree and then finding a way to use it.

It's about pursuing what you have genuine passion for so that you can learn it well, think well, come out and become a solution maker.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 1:00am On Jun 02, 2022
If that's all you can deduce, then you're a long way off point cus you deduced wrong.

You think if I was really interested in that shii, I'd be here seeking advice on my path in life?

Advice is noted tho. Thanks.

dacillin:
It
All i can deduce from your narrative is that you want to make quick money, probably as a result of schooling in Lautech.

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 1:12am On Jun 02, 2022
I have noted all inputs so far and I'm grateful that you took time to lay down your bits on the issue.

However, I see a lot of people talk about how lucrative it is so I feel I should note that this is more about heart than money. I don't want to push through with the course only to end up doing something I'm not passionate about however lucrative it may be.

Money does a lot of things in life but everything isn't about money. I endured a depressing teenagehood and so far still enduring a tough phase in life.

I don't want to go through all these and still be sad in future working in a field where I might struggle to be committed to.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Bossmanmoves(m): 3:04am On Jun 02, 2022
Same issue I had during my IT. I was studying petroleum engineering, 400lv. Took jamb again and got admitted to a private University to study Computer Science ( no time for ASUU). Currently in my 100lv. Although my parents vex, me no send. When I start to collect, na only come dey sponsor myself and to be honest it's quite a relief for me.

Always take a long term view over things, if it would be worth It, just do it. Starting all over again can be scary but if it would get you to where you are going, it's going to be worth the stress.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by FILEBE(m): 3:17am On Jun 02, 2022
Kibbs:
Believe me, I could write another epistle about this but to keep short and simple, my passion has nothing to do with uni. I wish I discovered what I wanted earlier in life like others but it is what it is.

Let me guess. Your passion is music? You want to be a musician?

I wrote what i wrote earlier from Experience. You can't downplay a degree. I am not even asking you to "carry first" here. I am just saying that you should finish school whatever the case maybe.

While in school, spring up your life goals. You will meet people in school that can help you achieve these goals .
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:44am On Jun 02, 2022
Newusername:
We have similar problem the only difference is that I am in 200l(Mechanical). What I will advised is that finish up and begin your journey on IT now, cause that is what I am currently doing.

It's actually you that need to switch courses, unless you have something else up your sleeve

All the people i know(including my younger brother) that studied that course are still unemployed and begging for food after many years of graduation

You need to work seriously on your plan B
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by PremiumStuff: 6:16am On Jun 02, 2022
Kibbs:
I'm 22, currently in my 3rd year (first semester) of a 5year course - Elect Elect. The problem is it's a course I have no passion or likeness for.

A lot of days, since 20lvl to be exact, I'm in class and I'm like "What am I doing here?". I see how my coursemates faces light up when something new is being taught or when practicals are going on but it's the exact opposite for me. I'm unattentive in 80% of the classes and no matter how hard I try, I'm never as focused during practicals like the rest cus I just don't have any interest in going on.

The two solutions I'm considering :
The first is to change courses, although that will set me back a year which means I'll be 25 by the time I'm done, 26 if NYSC is calculated. I already lost 4yrs waiting for admission so the thought of being setback another year makes me cringe esp when I'll be just a few years from 30 when I'm eventually done. That is if the possibility of yet another ASUU strike isn't considered o. Time is precious.

The second is just dropping out and maybe going to one of the recognised IT institutions to study an industry course cus I still have interest in IT related stuff. Infact, it was once a discussion during the days I was still home struggling to get into school so I'm sure I'll be backed. If I were to change courses sef in school, it would've been computer science. Another advantage of this for me is I'll be in Lagos permanently where I'll have opportunities to do several other things I want to do by the side as opposed to being in Ogbomosho (which is dead) where my school is. I never wanted to leave lag in the first place bit unilag had other ideas.

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

Would appreciate if this was moved to fp.

Guy, try your best to concentrate on it. And God will see you through
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Newusername(m): 6:38am On Jun 02, 2022
ChybuzzDD:

It's actually you that need to switch courses, unless you have something else up your sleeve

All the people i know(including my younger brother) that studied that course are still unemployed and begging for food after many years of graduation

You need to work seriously on your plan B
OK sir.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Lukaku12: 8:37am On Jun 02, 2022
i have been in your shoes before....i never wanted to study Accounting because i never had passion for it...i studied law for 2years in NOUN(Benin study center) but it wasnt accredited by the CLE(council of legal education) so i had to drop out and started studying Accounting in a another university. At first i found it strange and was always lost in class but i took it upon myself to forcefully love my current course of study because i wouldnt perform positively if i didnt stay focused...Today i am done with service, preparing for ICAN and also wants to apply foe Msc accounting...i was also forced to study Accounting...a bird in hand is worth more than thousands in the bush....

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by SPAMBOX7: 9:30am On Jun 02, 2022
Eastcoastboy:

Gutter attitude.. So you dey very sure say you get money pass all your mate? This nonsense competitive mentality has to stop.

Who TF! Are you? You think say na by that one? who you get money pass today fit help you tomorrow or attend your burial.

So just dey do your thing, dey thank God, no dey rope in people into your personal matters.
So you read the first paragraph and judged by it but completely ignored the last one:
"That no mean say if you drop out you go make am I. We have different paths choose wisely"

You are very stupid and dumb at the same time. Fccck outta here na you and your family Burial dem go attend dumbass biitch

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by jameshankss(m): 10:00am On Jun 02, 2022
It's also possible to lose interest when something you love turns into a job. If you can find your passion and have the will to follow it, follow your heart.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 10:35am On Jun 02, 2022
400lvl??

That's some balls man!

Omo, if only I could afford private uni, I wouldn't even think it twice. Cus, they're so much better and faster.

People wey we enter together for private uni don dey final year or even finished.

Bossmanmoves:
Same issue I had during my IT. I was studying petroleum engineering, 400lv. Took jamb again and got admitted to a private University to study Computer Science ( no time for ASUU). Currently in my 100lv. Although my parents vex, me no send. When I start to collect, na only come dey sponsor myself and to be honest it's quite a relief for me.

Always take a long term view over things, if it would be worth It, just do it. Starting all over again can be scary but if it would get you to where you are going, it's going to be worth the stress.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Bossmanmoves(m): 1:26pm On Jun 02, 2022
Kibbs:
400lvl??

That's some balls man!

Omo, if only I could afford private uni, I wouldn't even think it twice. Cus, they're so much better and faster.

People wey we enter together for private uni don dey final year or even finished.

For me, what other people think is not my business, na wetin I want na matter past. Computer science na something wey I fit use very well in the long term but for PEE, no way at all.

Funds dey very important too. Lack of Funds na dey make school dey stressful. If funds they u nor go reason ASUU.

My gees wey dey Uniben dey happy for the strike because them get enough time to take hustle ( me nor go lie give you, na street all of us dey, but most of us here dey use our funds for better thing).

My point be say, if you know what you want in the long term and you wouldn't regret it later in life, just do it!

Person wey take last for race still pass the finish line, the difference between him and who take first na just time.

U gerrit!!!!
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Peaceagain: 4:13pm On Jun 02, 2022
Dear Op, dropping out is the easiest thing to do but guess what, you will regret it in a few years time. "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush." I will suggest you pay attention to what you have, get a degree and find out how you can combine it with something else to achieve something better. I didn't like the course i studied and i almost didn't pay attention until 300L when i advised myself to focus on what i have and stop daydreaming of something else that might not come (in my case Japa). Today, i'm happy with what i have achieved in my profession and i have the respect of both family and outsiders. Focus on what you have and ask God for directions on how to go about your life's journey. All the best.
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Streetdreamx(m): 9:11pm On Jun 02, 2022
what's your g.p?
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by Kibbs(m): 11:15pm On Jun 02, 2022
Streetdreamx:
what's your g.p?

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by oforozato: 4:30am On Jun 03, 2022
Re: Should I Drop Out Or Not? by soliufiljannah(m): 12:43am On Jun 06, 2022
Kibbs:
I'm 22, currently in my 3rd year (first semester) of a 5year course - Elect Elect. The problem is it's a course I have no passion or likeness for.

A lot of days, since 20lvl to be exact, I'm in class and I'm like "What am I doing here?". I see how my coursemates faces light up when something new is being taught or when practicals are going on but it's the exact opposite for me. I'm unattentive in 80% of the classes and no matter how hard I try, I'm never as focused during practicals like the rest cus I just don't have any interest in going on.

The two solutions I'm considering :
The first is to change courses, although that will set me back a year which means I'll be 25 by the time I'm done, 26 if NYSC is calculated. I already lost 4yrs waiting for admission so the thought of being setback another year makes me cringe esp when I'll be just a few years from 30 when I'm eventually done. That is if the possibility of yet another ASUU strike isn't considered o. Time is precious.

The second is just dropping out and maybe going to one of the recognised IT institutions to study an industry course cus I still have interest in IT related stuff. Infact, it was once a discussion during the days I was still home struggling to get into school so I'm sure I'll be backed. If I were to change courses sef in school, it would've been computer science. Another advantage of this for me is I'll be in Lagos permanently where I'll have opportunities to do several other things I want to do by the side as opposed to being in Ogbomosho (which is dead) where my school is. I never wanted to leave lag in the first place bit unilag had other ideas.

Well that's it.

Inputs welcome.

Would appreciate if this was moved to fp.
Since you have no passion for Elect Elect, and your results have been very poor if you've not been cheating. I will advise you change course to an easier course. I'm a 400lvl Mechanical Engineering student and I can say it's not easy. Forget about age because at 22, I was still seeking admission. So, change to a 4yrs course and you'd still graduate same year with your friends in engineering. Then take your IT skills acquisition very important and learn money making skills to back it up. Before 26, you may might have achieved a lot: Financial freedom or wealth, high paying remote job e.t.c

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Meet Your Heroes And Get Them To Partner With You In Career / Teachers! How To Get Your Respect Back / ICAN Registrations Exemptions Exam Fees And Other Matters Arising

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.