Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,287 members, 7,846,315 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 (84301 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 11:19pm On Jan 31, 2012
Alex Ferguson on Ravel Morrison's move to #WHU: "he's best off out of Manchester". London's East End must have fewer distractions #MUFC
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 11:21pm On Jan 31, 2012
836 - Man Utd passes vs Stoke tonight, the 2nd-most by a team in a PL game this season (after Man City vs Stoke (924)). Repeat

Stoke dont like the ball at all do they? grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 11:22pm On Jan 31, 2012
Current injury list.

[list]
[li]Manchester United 13 D De Gea Illness no return date
A Lindegaard Ankle/Foot Injury no return date
W Rooney Ankle/Foot Injury 5th Feb 12 slight doubt
Nani Ankle/Foot Injury 5th Feb 12 doubtful
P Jones Ankle/Foot Injury 11th Feb 12
R De Laet Calf/Shin Injury no return date
Anderson Knock 5th Feb 12 doubtful
A Young Ankle/Foot Injury 5th Feb 12 doubtful
D Fletcher Bowel Condition no return date
N Vidic ACL Knee Injury Jun 12
M Owen Thigh Muscle Strain 11th Feb 12
T Cleverley Ankle/Foot Injury 11th Feb 12
T Bebe ACL Knee Injury no return date [/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Effiko(m): 11:48pm On Jan 31, 2012
Guys shld stop exaggerating dis Morrison issue . . . .I think SAF had his reasons 4 letting him go . . . .de guy seriously has ISSUES . . he is not first talented youngster  . . . . .SAF couldnt handle him , let him go jare . . i onli wished he went 2 a beta club
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 11:52pm On Jan 31, 2012
mbulela:

give it a rest,lad.
Fergie might be going insane but he is not yet as insane as this Morrison kid.
A boy that most of the coaches in the reserves are not even on talking terms with again.
A boy that all the coaches (not just fergie) came to a joint conclusion that he is just not worth the stress.
He should go and win the World's best player elsewhere.It just might not be worth it.

alex ferguson is insane at this very point. he needs help and good advisers.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 7:06am On Feb 01, 2012
montelik:

Well you are entitled to your opinion about DW19, was just making d point that JH14 has quite a way to go before comparisons to d likes of Ruud, Shearer e.t.c. D same way DW19 has a way to go before comparisons to Andy Cole.

Never made comparisons but just tried to point out to Afrodoc (who was taking a swipe at JH14) that at the very least we know the type of striker JH14 is or shaping up to be - a poacher, a finisher - doesn't know how to dribble or pass, but sure knows where the goal is, even blind-fold. . . . . .but DW19, what kind of striker is he or at best, has the potential to be!!!?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 7:18am On Feb 01, 2012
IMHO, this ranks as one of our better performances. . . . . .keep-ball was great.
If we can continue to control possession this way, even if it doesn't amount to goal threats at the other end, it ensures that we're not under much pressure ourselves.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 9:37am On Feb 01, 2012
Are we still talking Welbeck here?
RuuDie:

@ Montelik,

This is not an argument about JH14. . . . . . its about offloading that waste-pipe DW19 very, very, very far from O.T!
Seconded.
Someone says he should work on his finishing and positioning.
Yet Welbeck claims to be a striker and is deficient in both departments.
I rest my case.

We enter a very crucial phase in the title race,this win last night might just be the calm before the storm.
*fingers crossed*
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by debosky(m): 10:46am On Feb 01, 2012
StarBoard:

Someone says he should work on his finishing and positioning.
Yet Welbeck claims to be a striker and is deficient in both departments.
I rest my case.

If he didn't have areas he needs to work on he would be perfect. Can you name any striker who doesn't need to improve in those two areas?

Welbeck is a young striker who is improving gradually. The person who should be taking the stick for some average performances isn't Welbeck, but Fergie for benching a striker at his peak like Berbatov and playing Welbeck too frequently. He shouldn't be starting as many games as he does right now.

His goal return is decent (even if he wastes chances) so there's no need to get up in arms over him. His wage demands may be too high, but at 22 he shouldn't be earning peanuts at Utd. As a player in his first full season in the first team, he's done well enough.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 01, 2012
debosky:

If he didn't have areas he needs to work on he would be perfect. Can you name any striker who doesn't need to improve in those two areas?
Thierry Henry, Pippo Inzaghi, Ruud van Nistelrooy,Dwight Yorke,Alan Shearer,Christian Vieri,Gabriel Batistuta, Andriy Shevchenko.
All were almost faultless when it came to positioning and finishing.
They may not have been prodigies but that fallacy about having areas to improve doesn't cover these areas.If you don't have any of those two attributes locked down to a science,you don't have any business being a striker in my view.
debosky:

Welbeck is a young striker who is improving gradually. The person who should be taking the stick for some average performances isn't Welbeck, but Fergie for benching a striker at his peak like Berbatov and playing Welbeck too frequently. He shouldn't be starting as many games as he does right now.
Excuses for Welbeck.
He's been at United since 2008/9:this would make it his fourth season,albeit with some loan experience outside OT.In fact that should add to his CV.
If you still think he's young,think again.He's been around longer than Javier Hernandez,around the same age as well.Point to note.

debosky:

His goal return is decent (even if he wastes chances) so there's no need to get up in arms over him. His wage demands may be too high, but at 22 he shouldn't be earning peanuts at Utd. As a player in his first full season in the first team, he's done well enough.
You forget that the wasted chances he's throwing away regularly can be the difference between a champion and an also-ran. I can now see why Arsenal fans are content with nothing after 6 years.
If you tolerate throwing away three chances when placed through on goal,some of us don't.
If he wants to get the megabucks, he should prove it on the pitch.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by debosky(m): 12:33pm On Feb 01, 2012
StarBoard:

Thierry Henry, Pippo Inzaghi, Ruud van Nistelrooy,Dwight Yorke,Alan Shearer,Christian Vieri,Gabriel Batistuta, Andriy Shevchenko.
All were almost faultless when it came to positioning and finishing.

Were they all 'almost faultless' at 21?

He's been at United since 2008/9:this would make it his fourth season,albeit with some loan experience outside OT.In fact that should add to his CV.
If you still think he's young,think again.He's been around longer than Javier Hernandez,around the same age as well.Point to note.

Been around longer meaning what? How many games has he played in the first team? That's the measure we should be looking at not simply how long he's been on the books at United.

You forget that the wasted chances he's throwing away regularly can be the difference between a champion and an also-ran. I can now see why Arsenal fans are content with nothing after 6 years.

Oh puhleeze - Welbeck should realistically be a third choice striker at Utd behind Rooney and Berbatov, if not also behind Hernandez. Compare his stats against a third choice striker in any of the top leagues and tell me if he's better or worse than them.

It's all well and good to make throwback comments about Arsenal but base your opinion on reality. How many third choice strikers are currently outperforming him now in Europe? How much are they being paid?

Like I said, if he's being given more responsibility than he can handle at this stage, the problem is with Fergie not DW.

If you tolerate throwing away three chances when placed through on goal,some of us don't.

It's all relative - RVP threw away a glorious chance against Utd that he fluffed with the net at his mercy. That's just how the game goes.

If he wants to get the megabucks, he should prove it on the pitch.

He is clearly worth more than 15k a week - he should be on at least double that at the minimum. I'm beginning to agree with CR9 that being at United is like slavery. cheesy
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 12:36pm On Feb 01, 2012
RuuDie:

Never made comparisons but just tried to point out to Afrodoc (who was taking a swipe at JH14) that at the very least we know the type of striker JH14 is or shaping up to be - a poacher, a finisher - doesn't know how to dribble or pass, but sure knows where the goal is, even blind-fold. . . . . .but DW19, what kind of striker is he or at best, has the potential to be!!!?

Okay let discuss.

D same questions were asked about Scholes when he was coming through in (as well as others e.g Phil Neville). What type of midfielder would he be or would even be a midfielder at all. He was a bad tackler (still is just much worse now grin), not d strongest, a little to eager to go forward and somewhat positionally suspect for a traditional central midfielder and not hardest working player which would've help compensate for his size all serious problems in a supposed central midfielder. Many thought he would be waste in midfield and he'd eventually end up a smaller forward (e.g Bellamy, Defoe). Others felt he was destined to be an attacking midfielder whether in d hole or in wide positions (e.g Van der Vaart, Kaka). Some said he could only be effective as continental type trequartista. Ultimately SAF felt he would become a successful traditional central midfielder even thriving in 4-4-2 with out and out wingers and he was right. And guess what, Scholes ended up basically playing all those positions at some point during his time at O.T at one time or another with great success, despite being mostly a central midfielder.

Point is, at this stage its clear Danny has a lot different and somewhat contrasting qualities and also deficiencies so what, where and how he will end up is far from certain. He has clever touches and at least as much if not more creativity as probably most English forward today (bar Rooney), he has a good ability to link up be it with midfielders or forward partners, has a very inconsistent but occasionally almost Berbaeusqe touch and at times, is a lot stronger than his gangly frame suggests and has not just good speed but even a good burst of pace. Good striker of ball, a threat within and outside d 18 yard box, but erratic finishing and slow or very delayed instincts and decision making for striker. In one breathe you could say SAF description of him being a "Kanu" type is apt. But on d other hand he is nowhere near as technically sound as Kanu ended up(at least not yet), but then he also has more athleticism than Kanu. Honestly if he packs on a good amount of muscle, he could end like Saha (Just look how much he added in year at Sunderland).

I don't know how will turn out, but he has talent and at United we don't try to fit them in a shoe box. Instead SAF lets them blossom, find out what they are good at while developing them. Why do you think almost every member of United who came thru system or was signed young can play a number of different positions well.

But to give my personal guess/opinion, I don't he will ever be a pure finisher or poacher, he is clearly a forward who likes his touches a too, too much to end up as a JH14 or Pipo. If he can improve his finishing and quicken his decision making. My guess  is he will probably end up more like Solskjaer or Berba and all round forward capable of all, with good intelligence, more speed and who can provide an array of forward qualities. What his major strength will be or his trademark (Ole was his finishing) I can't say.

Then he might end up being a bust. I hope he doesn't and he takes his chance.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 01, 2012
debosky:

Were they all 'almost faultless' at 21?
You must be as thick as a concrete wall.
You conveniently edited out my statement about being a prodigy.
You have a way of dancing around the issue:which in this case is about attributes needed to be a succesful striker.Stick to it,and stop muppeting around.
debosky:

Been around longer meaning what? How many games has he played in the first team? That's the measure we should be looking at not simply how long he's been on the books at United.

Don't be dull. For the man who supposedly invented grammar,you do a shoddy job of understanding simple english.
He (Welbeck) has been playing longer than Hernandez at United.Don't get me into that bull about first team.In fact Welbeck has had more EPL experience than Hernandez, yet he had to be sent out on loan TWICE to develop his game.This season he (Welbeck ) has played more games.Hernandez,a foreigner who was supposed to struggle with the language and weather hit the ground running in his first season and has a better goals/game ratio.

debosky:

Oh puhleeze - Welbeck should realistically be a third choice striker at Utd behind Rooney and Berbatov, if not also behind Hernandez. Compare his stats against a third choice striker in any of the top leagues and tell me if he's better or worse than them.
Really?
I refer you to United's 1999 squad.Which among Teddy Sheringham,Ole Gunnar Solskjaer,Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole were rated third,fourth striker?
Please next question. This categorisation of Welbeck is blurring your view.
A "third" striker at United is playing more games than Dimitar Berbatov and Javier Hernandez who lit up the EPL last season.Where is your logic?
debosky:

Like I said, if he's being given more responsibility than he can handle at this stage, the problem is with Fergie not DW.

It's all relative - RVP threw away a glorious chance against Utd that he fluffed with the net at his mercy. That's just how the game goes.

If Danny Welbeck is demanding for 60k a week,he has to prove it on the pitch.
Comparing him to van Persie is out of place. How many goals has your striker this season alone?
debosky:

He is clearly worth more than 15k a week - he should be on at least double that at the minimum. I'm beginning to agree with CR9 that being at United is like slavery. cheesy

Trying hard to be funny isn't your strong point.
The Ronaldo you are trying to reference (pitifully) was earning 125k a week. Twisting a misplaced statement by a wantaway player to suit your argument makes me believe coogar was always right about you
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by debosky(m): 1:38pm On Feb 01, 2012
StarBoard:

You conveniently edited out my statement about being a prodigy.
You have a way of dancing around the issue:which in this case is about attributes needed to be a succesful striker.Stick to it,and stop muppeting around.

A successful striker scores goals - Welbeck scores goals. He's not the finished article, but he's only 21. A such he has areas to improve on. End of story.

He (Welbeck) has been playing longer than Hernandez at United.Don't get me into that bull about first team.In fact Welbeck has had more EPL experience than Hernandez, yet he had to be sent out on loan TWICE to develop his game.This season he (Welbeck ) has played more games.Hernandez,a foreigner who was supposed to struggle with the language and weather hit the ground running in his first season and has a better goals/game ratio.

So what? Must he develop at Hernandez' pace to be a worthy striker? He's 21 and scoring goals and has room to improve. If he wasn't scoring then you may have a point.

I refer you to United's 1999 squad.Which among Teddy Sheringham,Ole Gunnar Solskjaer,Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole were rated third,fourth striker?

You tell me  - and also tell me, was any of those four earning less than a 10th of the top paid striker?

A "third" striker at United is playing more games than Dimitar Berbatov and Javier Hernandez who lit up the EPL last season.Where is your logic?If Danny Welbeck is demanding for 60k a week,he has to prove it on the pitch.

It's not my logic -  Fergie is the one benching the highest goal scorer of last season and playing Welbeck ahead of him. If he's going to be given that responsibility, he darn well should be paid commensurate with it.

By the way, still waiting for your response to my question - what striker at a top club like Welbeck is gets paid 15k per week? Even if we say he's second choice, how many second choice strikers have outscored him in the EPL? How much are they earning?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by ritchboy(m): 1:49pm On Feb 01, 2012
Una dey mind Debo?

He just feels obligated to talk up Welbeck persistently on these pages after categorically stating he's "miles ahead of Sturridge" grin grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 2:02pm On Feb 01, 2012
ritchboy:

Una dey mind Debo?

He just feels obligated to talk up Welbeck persistently on these pages after categorically stating he's "miles ahead of Sturridge" grin grin

welbeck is better than sturridge.
daniel sturridge is the most selfish striker on the planet. . . . .it must be acute pain for his team-mates with the way he motors on the flank and just power his shots on target - regardless of the acute angles. he is either brainless or too self-centred. he probably thinks he needs to score goals to guarantee a first team shirt. at this moment in time, welbeck would get on the plane to ukraine in the summer before daniel sturridge.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by debosky(m): 2:06pm On Feb 01, 2012
ritchboy:

Una dey mind Debo?

**In Benitez' voice**

That's a fact. tongue
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 01, 2012
debosky:

**In Benitez' voice**

That's a fact. tongue
Your attempts to be funny are just lame, jare.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 6:42pm On Feb 01, 2012
Kai, una dey try ooo. cool
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 7:34pm On Feb 01, 2012
@starboard hernandez and welbeck are not abt d same age like u said.d mexican is TWO N A HALF years older than welbeck so u shouldnt tink their development will b at d same stage plus chicharito is a regular international n hs played n scored in d world cup so i believe i am ryt to say he is OLDER n more EXPERIENCED.
go n check d development of van nistelrooy,thierry henry n several other players dt went on score goals by d bucketloads n u will see dt many were not prolific at 21 and even some of them hadnt showed signs of how good they were going to be.this is not a referendum on weda welbeck is beta than hernandez BUT wt i am saying is for his age,xperience he is not doing too badly and such negative criticism from fans is not helping anyone.
and d point dt chicharito is an excellent poacher so dts enuf is dangerous advice for d young boy,poachers r a dying breed cos football is evolving, its not enuf for a guy to hide for 80 minutes n then just tap in a brace.strikers hav to b hardworkers who get involved in build up weda tru d wings,tru d middle or wit their back to goal.
if chicharito doesnt build up his physique,technique n general team play not only will he b shipped out of united he myt not achieve his potential.
welbeck on d other hand while still raw has beta technique n team play than d mexican.
talking abt welbecks finishing,despite andy coles impressive goal scoring he was never described as a clinical finisher.welbeck will get stronger,more intelligent n become a beta finisher at old trafford BUT i agree ferguson should not b playing too often for now
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 7:42pm On Feb 01, 2012
afrodoc:

@starboard hernandez and welbeck are not abt d same age like u said.d mexican is TWO N A HALF years older than welbeck so u shouldnt tink their development will b at d same stage plus chicharito is a regular international n hs played n scored in d world cup so i believe i am ryt to say he is OLDER n more EXPERIENCED.
go n check d development of van nistelrooy,thierry henry n several other players dt went on score goals by d bucketloads n u will see dt many were not prolific at 21 and even some of them hadnt showed signs of how good they were going to be.this is not a referendum on weda welbeck is beta than hernandez BUT wt i am saying is for his age,xperience he is not doing too badly and such negative criticism from fans is not helping anyone.
and d point dt chicharito is an excellent poacher so dts enuf is dangerous advice for d young boy,poachers r a dying breed cos football is evolving, its not enuf for a guy to hide for 80 minutes n then just tap in a brace.strikers hav to b hardworkers who get involved in build up weda tru d wings,tru d middle or wit their back to goal.
if chicharito doesnt build up his physique,technique n general team play not only will he b shipped out of united he myt not achieve his potential.
welbeck on d other hand while still raw has beta technique n team play than d mexican.
talking abt welbecks finishing,despite andy coles impressive goal scoring he was never described as a clinical finisher.welbeck will get stronger,more intelligent n become a beta finisher at old trafford BUT i agree ferguson should not b playing too often for now

chicharito is a perfect striker. . . .
some of the passes he gets are either too overhit or underhit. when the ball is delivered straight to his feet, his control is not that bad.
he knows how to position himself to score goals and when he's one on one with a goalkeeper, he would finish aplomb 9 times out of 10.

danny welbeck needs extramural classes.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 7:56pm On Feb 01, 2012
when chicharito made his debut for united he was ALREADY 22,had played 4 seasons of senior football at chivas and played in d world cup
welbeck just turned 21(he still is ONE YEAR younger NOW than chicharito was at his debut) and has limited big game experience so pls you people should give him a chance!
my belief is they are still both young,talented,very hungry,eager to learn, with great attitudes SO i hope d club keeps both cos they could rily b great in d future.
however singling out one striker especially ur youngest isnt d way to go, they both hav positives n negatives n i pray d negatives get erased off as time passes.
berbatov makes it difficult for fergie to choose him regularly with his languid style, dt style doesnt work well when ur midfield is carrick,scholes or carrick giggs.
u cant hav too many luxury players hovering round dt midfield cos it xposes us at d back.wit sickbay ferdi n sojourner evra at d back we nid guys to run  n close up ryt from d front.berbatov is a very talented player but not all talents can play at one's club ,i would like him to go exhibit his sublime talents elsewhere, keep rooney,welbeck,chicharito n get a younger,skillful bt more athletic player to replace berbatov
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 8:05pm On Feb 01, 2012
coogar there is no such thing as a perfect striker and even if there was his name wouldnt be javier hernandez! his finishing is topnotch,his runs r great and he has great anticipation also BUT he sometimes has d 1st touch of a female elephant in labour,body strength of a lily and as to d passes HE is d one who almost always overhits or underhits his passes! once a move gets to hernandez before he is in d box n its not a one on one wit d keeper e.g back to defender or out on d wings or tightly marked i know dt move will fizzle out.
they both nid extramural classes n berba nids to go n b sublime elsewhere
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 8:06pm On Feb 01, 2012
afrodoc:

when chicharito made his debut for united he was ALREADY 22,had played 4 seasons of senior football at chivas and played in d world cup
welbeck just turned 21(he still is ONE YEAR younger NOW than chicharito was at his debut) and has limited big game experience so pls you people should give him a chance!

you know i don't like it when people bring age into this kinda debate.
it's either a player has it or not. even if welbeck turns 30, his finishing might never improve. the skills he's learnt in his formative years are the ones that he would use every now and then.

i am sure when valencia was 18, someone in ecuador was arguing on his behalf that he's young and he would learn how to use his left foot by 20.
he's 26 now and his left foot is as useless as the right hand of rembrandt. grin
do you really think that is going to ever change any time soon?

my belief is they are still both young,talented,very hungry,eager to learn, with great attitudes SO i hope d club keeps both cos they could rily b great in d future.
however singling out one striker especially ur youngest isnt d way to go, they both hav positives n negatives n i pray d negatives get erased off as time passes.

welbeck is being singled out cos he's copped more minutes in the important games recently and he mostly fluffed his lines.
we could have drawn against arsenal and we lost @ anfield because of welbeck's profligacy in front of goal.

berbatov makes it difficult for fergie to choose him regularly with his languid style, dt style doesnt work well when ur midfield is carrick,scholes or carrick giggs.
u cant hav too many luxury players hovering round dt midfield cos it xposes us at d back.wit sickbay ferdi n sojourner evra at d back we nid guys to run  n close up ryt from d front.berbatov is a very talented player but not all talents can play at one's club ,i would like him to go exhibit his sublime talents elsewhere, keep rooney,welbeck,chicharito n get a younger,skillful bt more athletic player to replace berbatov

i hope you know berbatov has scored 7 league goals in 10 league appearances this season. he's started only 4 league games.
that's a prolific strike rate by any means. he scored 20 league goals last season.
the issue of berbatov's languid style has been put to bed. if he gets the quality service he craves, he puts them away.

afrodoc:

coogar there is no such thing as a perfect striker and even if there was his name wouldnt be javier hernandez! his finishing is topnotch,his runs r great and he has great anticipation also BUT he sometimes has d 1st touch of a female elephant in labour,body strength of a lily and as to d passes HE is d one who almost always overhits or underhits his passes! once a move gets to hernandez before he is in d box n its not a one on one wit d keeper e.g back to defender or out on d wings or tightly marked i know dt move will fizzle out.
they both nid extramural classes n berba nids to go n b sublime elsewhere

the first touch of a female elephant? tell me a striker with a better first touch apart from berbatov in man utd?
have you seen rooney with the ball? owen? macheda? welbeck? are those any better than hernandez.

only few strikers in this league have the tekkers to completely kill a difficult pass and make it easy.
i can think of van persie, nani, berbatov, etc. the others are wackity wack when the passes are damned too heavy.

but when the passes are accurate and put in hernandez's stride. . . . he controls beautifully.

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_qv02JU1YQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"[/flash]

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUg1TYNdrMA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"[/flash]

you won't see a better first touch!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 8:45pm On Feb 01, 2012
there r videos of silvestre making great tackles or gibson makin great tackles n 40yard passes,that doesnt make them xperts at dt skill.for every video u post of hernandez wit a gud 1st touch there 50 videos of his horrendous first touch killing a united move! when a move involves hernandez at d beginning or somewhere in d middle rather than at d end IT DIES.
there were many coaches in france who said drogba lacked d technique,finishing n stamina to make it in top flight football.at age TWENTY FOUR after 4 seasons in d french DIVISION 2 he had scored TWELVE GOALS(IN 4 YEARS),he finally lost his place to daniel cousin(remember him) who they said was faster n hd beta technique.
welbeck does not pick himself for these matches,fergie does, all welbeck does is train hard n wait for team list to arrive so get off his back n jump on fergie's.i am not saying danny shud b starting so many matches but his performances hav bin beta than all of chelsea's strikers,most of arsenal's n most of d rest of d leagues(bar mayb mancity n tott forwards).
i just feel we should get behind our strikers, they arent doin too badly d problem is in midfield and wit evra's recurrent lapses n of course at d goal keeper position
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 8:58pm On Feb 01, 2012
afrodoc:

there r videos of silvestre making great tackles or gibson makin great tackles n 40yard passes,that doesnt make them xperts at dt skill.for every video u post of hernandez wit a gud 1st touch there 50 videos of his horrendous first touch killing a united move! when a move involves hernandez at d beginning or somewhere in d middle rather than at d end IT DIES.

the area of the pitch hernandez is expected to make these touches have the most pressure coming from the opponents. you actually need a lot of nerves to be in that part of the pitch and apply the finishing. silvestre or gibson making tackles cannot be compared to making a first touch and scoring! it's quite difficult to execute.

there were many coaches in france who said drogba lacked d technique,finishing n stamina to make it in top flight football.at age TWENTY FOUR after 4 seasons in d french DIVISION 2 he had scored TWELVE GOALS(IN 4 YEARS),he finally lost his place to daniel cousin(remember him) who they said was faster n hd beta technique.

in other words, welbeck is not suited to man utd.
i don't doubt he can score 60 goals per season in arsenal - but @ united, he needs to step up right now in the absence of the top players.

welbeck does not pick himself for these matches,fergie does, all welbeck does is train hard n wait for team list to arrive so get off his back n jump on fergie's.i am not saying danny shud b starting so many matches but his performances hav bin beta than all of chelsea's strikers,most of arsenal's n most of d rest of d leagues(bar mayb mancity n tott forwards).
i just feel we should get behind our strikers, they arent doin too badly d problem is in midfield and wit evra's recurrent lapses n of course at d goal keeper position

with a bit of panache and predatory skills, united should have scored 2 or 3 goals before evra made the mistake of allowing kuyt to get a late winner.
that is the key issue. in the absence of rooney, nani, young, etc welbeck should increase his conversion rate. he fluffed 6 good chances against arsenal before scoring. on another night, united would have dropped 2 points or even all the points because of his profligacy.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 9:17pm On Feb 01, 2012
u INTENTIONALLY missed d point grin, d point was dt drogba improved all those areas of his game wit tym n bcame world class even wit his questionable technique
welbeck should b given tym to improve he will get bigger,stronger n mayb even faster nd his finishing will improve.he just doesnt hav to start so often at dis stage in his career.pls na dont obscure d truth when makin points, chicharito has a gud 1st touch? haba mallam!
concerning valencia he is d result of street football upbringing n defective education, remember he came to united at d ripe old age of 24, far too late at dt point.
its like a tennis talent who learnt by wackin oranges by d banks of d irrawady river n never learned backhand coming to nick bolleteri's school at age 20, even bolleteri would not b able to help his backhand grin
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 9:21pm On Feb 01, 2012
afrodoc:

u INTENTIONALLY missed d point grin, d point was dt drogba improved all those areas of his game wit tym n bcame world class even wit his questionable technique
welbeck should b given tym to improve he will get bigger,stronger n mayb even faster nd his finishing will improve.he just doesnt hav to start so often at dis stage in his career.pls na dont obscure d truth when makin points, chicharito has a gud 1st touch? haba mallam!
concerning valencia he is d result of street football upbringing n defective education, remember he came to united at d ripe old age of 24, far too late at dt point.
its like a tennis talent who learnt by wackin oranges by d banks of d irrawady river n never learned backhand coming to nick bolleteri's school at age 20, even bolleteri would not b able to help his backhand grin

sorry to digress a bit. . .

i often wonder why tennis players use the backhand instead of the forearm.
i watch a lot of grandslam games and i can tell from my mind's eye that players make more unforced errors using the backhand instead of the forearm.
in actual fact, in all the games berbatov-like roger federer has lost, the relentless use of his backhand was his undoing. he makes loads of unforced errors trying to be cheeky.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 9:37pm On Feb 01, 2012
well using ur forehand when u should use ur backhand means you would have to move way off d central area of d court to execute,puttin u at a great disadvantage especially if d ball is returned to d open side u arent covering.so tennis players hav to learn both fore n back, however naturally most players r more proficient wit their forehands cos its anatomically easier n its a more powerfulful shot hence they practice n use it more.
HOWEVER their exceptions like andre agassi,jim courier,david nalbandian n these days murray n davydenko, one must mention justin henin's one handed backhand(probably d most beautiful shot in all of tennis)
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 9:40pm On Feb 01, 2012
meanwhile dis oxlade guy is makin weaving runs dt walcott will never make in his life! he can actually weave n dribble in tight spaces
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 9:56pm On Feb 01, 2012
afrodoc:

meanwhile dis oxlade guy is makin weaving runs dt walcott will never make in his life! he can actually weave n dribble in tight spaces

he's a good player. . . .

meanwhile, fergie is confident rooney, nani and ashley young would be fit for the chelsea game.
can we have phil jones, anderson and cleverley too.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 10:06pm On Feb 01, 2012
i doubt it,cleverly esp wont b match fit cos its bin a long tym since he played.we myt b able to cope with our present midfield wt is imperative is dt we get rooney n nani fit to face dt chelski defence.i want to see how they would line up without ashley cole

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (100)

Manchester United Vs Liverpool (0 - 5) On 24th October 2021 / Arsenal Vs Chelsea :FA Cup Final (2 - 1) On 27th May 2017 / Manchester United Vs Chelsea : FA Cup Semi-final - (1 - 3) On 19th July 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.