Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,069 members, 7,849,332 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 06:43 PM

Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 (84379 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2012
Surprisingly, with the 'old men' and a languid Carrick in the middle we still kept the ball and controlled the game very well eve when we went a goal down. . . . .PS22 for JH14 was not the right change at all; we should have kept that shape in the middle, those lads were really keeping the game alive for us.

Perhaps a DB9 for DW19 would have been the change to make while we weigh other options towards the end of the game. . . . .as for DDG *shakes head* no comment!!!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 28, 2012
^^^
I know the less said about DeGea the better for us all , but your comments won't be out of place.
Seriously speaking,how he's our designated no.1 goalie still remains a mystery.
But no,folks tell us he's better in at least 100 areas than AL34. . .
Point of note:this is the earliest we've been out of contention for the CL, FA Cup and Carling Cup.
This season is on the verge of being termed a disaster.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by edoyad(m): 9:02pm On Jan 28, 2012
StarBoard:

^^^
I know the less said about DeGea the better for us all , but your comments won't be out of place.
Seriously speaking,how he's our designated no.1 goalie still remains a mystery.
But no,folks tell us he's better in at least 100 areas than AL34. . .
Point of note:this is the earliest we've been out of contention for the CL, FA Cup and Carling Cup.
This season is on the verge of being termed a disaster.

The most important objective of a football club is winning the domestic league, exactly what Pep said last week.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Emperoh(m): 10:55pm On Jan 28, 2012
Really not much to complain about.
Game was tepid and we just didn't have cutting edge to pull us thru.
Suddenly, DDG became out of sorts today.

I bet AL should step up and see what he can make of the contention
Find it hard to believe that our best moments where when PS was on the pitch. . . . a 36 year old??

Well, one thing i have to say is that if the season all go bunkers,
Fergie is to blame.

Meanwhile, Diouf has joined Hannover

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16775684.stm
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 3:15am On Jan 29, 2012
@Emperoh,
It's pretty obvious that our lack of creativity in the middle is the reason we can't shift into another gear when playing top sides.
Early in the season when we ran amok,they said this seasons side was far better than last.To. Cleverley got injured and Anderson got clueless.The injuries have piled up but there is no excuse for us to be out of 3 competitions by January ending,mostly in humiliating circumstances.There was no reason forus to lose yesterday's game as Liverpool weren't on their game.Like you said we didn't up our game to take the tie.
What is baffling is Fergie's treatment of Berbatov.Playing Welbeck ahead of him is a disgrace.Welbeck simply isn't good enough to start.The boy is clumsy,daft,silly and irritatingly ruins our forward play with his unintelligent approach to link-up play.Then when you go down late in the game you bring in Berba for Welbeck to try to salvage things.DB9 didn't even get a kick in after wasting away all game (and all season).
Then we have bumbling David De Gea who should have been back up to Anders Lindergaard but was thrust into the number one this season.The result?One error-filled game after the other that has contributed immensely to our season coming unhinged at the seams.
Don't expect us to win the title this season.We have testing visits to Chelsea and Spurs.We need 6points from those ties to keep  the title chase alive.Simply don't see how we're going to achieve this given what we saw yesterday.
It's all down to Fergie and his signings over the summer(failing to sign the right players),wrong use of players (like letting folks like Diuof rot on the bench after courting him only for him to be sold) and inability to play people to their strengths (playing people out of position), and just thinking he'll get away with stuff just because he's Fergie.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Emperoh(m): 6:15am On Jan 29, 2012
The man's stubbornness tire me.
We went out of the UCL in circumstances that required outright sack but. . . . .Fergie knows it all
The Carling Cup. . . . .Fergie knows it all
The FA which i desired more than any other trophy. . . . I head he nearly hit DDG in the tunnel. . . .who cares, it was his signing

I am now forced to stay up thursday night and watch my World Class dear team compete in the less elite Europa league. . . .i woulda felt better watching others. We will see how this will deal a great blow to our title hopes.
It's simply a distraction.

I didn't give us any chance this season given the transition and i still believe that. But when you realise that your fellow trophy chasers are not as good as you are despite the lapses at your end, i expect Fergie to take the bull by the horn and deal the blows early on. We had chances to sign players or midfielders but Fergie knows it all.

I fell your blame but won't kill myself just yet. I won't blame DDG for being picked to play, in fairness to him dude is good but NOT BETTER than AL. . . . .whether it his eye problem or not, the sort of goal he conceded yesterday were avoidable.

But this is just a little of the bigger picture; SB, the quality of football world over dropping. The flicks, trickery and dribbles are all giving way to techicalities. You can barely count the number of flair players in today's game. Very very few free-kick benders. I just can't seem to come to terms with the fact that most footie games today are nothing more than boring 90 minutes physical exercise. I didn't become a footie fan because of what i am seeing today; i coulda gone after rugby or Golf.

I don't know what you think but if you compare the quality of entertainment in football with say what was on offer 10 to 15 years ago, you do realise the entertainment is gone. I just can't believe it.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 29, 2012
Emp,
You raised a decent point about quality.
What I'll say is I think these days, coaches are stifling real flair with all manner of tactics.
To an extent you might be right but I'm of the opinion that these days,formations/tactics are the order of the day.Most coaches would like to leave one striker upfront, sacrifice wing play, putting three in the middle, with two of those screening the back four (or three as the case may be), and eliminate the use of full backs by employing wing backs and a back three.
So today, you have the effective player capable of several positions as against the typical mould of say a center forward.
Today you have the mode of coaching whereby the primary aim is to use tactics to nullify/stifle the opposition's threat.thats why we aren't seeing too many classic games these days.
Fergie is probably one of the few coaches left in the world who employs a variation of the 4-4-2,which is about the only formation which encourages wing play.
But I agree,we aren't seeing the natural flair as much as we used to though Spain still has them.
To united, I wouldn't call this a transition when I look at the fact that we won the league, got to the CL finals and semi finals of the FA cup.True, veterans left but from such a position, you can only expect a club of United's stature to improve, and given what we've seen so far,we can say we have regressed.By this time last year we were unbeaten and top of the league,unbeaten in the champions League having conceded just one goal in all the group stage games, on our way in the FA Cup after beating Liverpool and Southampton.365 days later we're out of all the running for those titles bar the league ,which we should be topping by now but for silly dropped points vs Newcastle and Blackburn at home.
You know my position on the summer signings.We knew Scholes was retiring but didn't do anything about replacing him.Instead we got Ashley Young,when we had an over-abundance of finance in the wing department.Dude started like a house on fire but fizzled out and got injured twice.We got a goalie who can't see from afar,whose speciality is bumbling from one error to another,who cannot inspire you with confidence when he's between the sticks,who's as wobbly as they come.yet folks are still arguing he's better than Lindergaard.The only summer signing that was immense was that of Phil Jones.
I wouldn't bother about Thursday nights.The Europa league is harder to win and this our side cannot do it.The sides in that competition will embarrass us further starting with Ajax.
Which brings us to Lord Fergie.
I think he's becoming stale.Otherwise I see no reason for him to abide by his ethos in an ever changing world where ideas are primary.
The sooner he goes and the earlier a successor is pencilled down the better for us all.I think he is to be blamed in all of this.His "untouchable" status (which he has rightly earned) is giving him a false sense of "been there,done that, so n
I will get by".When our fans start booing him like the Arsenal peeps did to Wenger,maybe he will realize he isn't infallible after all.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by adebayo201: 3:05pm On Jan 29, 2012
E stil dy pain me!
I said it yestaday dat even if WR10 wil play,DB9 shd b startd. Until i c DW nd c DdG1 i shoutd. Buyin SAF is nt buyin. I just imagne ao tinz go b cum end of season! *hiss*
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 4:15pm On Jan 29, 2012
StarBoard:

@Emperoh,
It's pretty obvious that our lack of creativity in the middle is the reason we can't shift into another gear when playing top sides.
Early in the season when we ran amok,they said this seasons side was far better than last.To. Cleverley got injured and Anderson got clueless.The injuries have piled up but there is no excuse for us to be out of 3 competitions by January ending,mostly in humiliating circumstances.There was no reason forus to lose yesterday's game as Liverpool weren't on their game.Like you said we didn't up our game to take the tie.
What is baffling is Fergie's treatment of Berbatov.Playing Welbeck ahead of him is a disgrace.Welbeck simply isn't good enough to start.The boy is clumsy,daft,silly and irritatingly ruins our forward play with his unintelligent approach to link-up play.Then when you go down late in the game you bring in Berba for Welbeck to try to salvage things.DB9 didn't even get a kick in after wasting away all game (and all season).
Then we have bumbling David De Gea who should have been back up to Anders Lindergaard but was thrust into the number one this season.The result?One error-filled game after the other that has contributed immensely to our season coming unhinged at the seams.
Don't expect us to win the title this season.We have testing visits to Chelsea and Spurs.We need 6points from those ties to keep  the title chase alive.Simply don't see how we're going to achieve this given what we saw yesterday.
It's all down to Fergie and his signings over the summer(failing to sign the right players),wrong use of players (like letting folks like Diuof rot on the bench after courting him only for him to be sold) and inability to play people to their strengths (playing people out of position), and just thinking he'll get away with stuff just because he's Fergie.

i get the drift of your anger but i really don't think we played particularly bad yesterday.
in all honesty, that we were able to match liverpool and outplay them for most parts of that game is a testament of the squad strength.
we were almost barcelona like in the middle of the park but with welbeck being a bambi, all the good play amounted to shyte. . .waiting for chamotex's defence of welbeck on these pages.

this team did not kick a ball last night

---------lindegaard----------
--jones - rio - vidic - fabio---
---fletcher - cleverley - anderson
nani-----rooney----ashley young

one cannot argue the team above isn't stronger than the one that played last night or this team wouldn't have murdered liverpool on their home soil.
in a nutshell, it all boils down to the injury list that is now bordering on ridiculous/madness.
with a better team on display with the cutting edge, we would have won convincingly.

now to de gea. . . .
he was out of sorts in some phases of the match but he was not culpable for the goals conceded.
for the first goal, our defenders did not jump. agger was the only player that jumped in the box as our defenders were busy doing tug of war.
none of the defenders even looked up to contest the ball. it was that disgraceful.

for the second goal, evra's walk-about was the fault.
his position as reina kicked that ball was atrocious. then with the ball appearing to fall where andy caroll was, evra should have at least anticipated caroll winning that ball and quickly falling into position in front of kuyt. evra reacted too slow to the danger and at that distance and the speed of the shot, de gea was powerless to stop it.

we played very well. i was surprised we could play that well with scholes and carrick.
however, welbeck was a disgrace. his techniques, football intelligence and finishing were his undoing once again.
the number of chances he squandered by applying the wrong method does not bode well for him.
in my opinion, if he had made one of those few chances count in the end, we wouldn't have lost. on a day we were missing our star players, welbeck should have stood tall. he was rather disappointing.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Emperoh(m): 10:26pm On Jan 29, 2012
For crying out loud, DDG could have done better. If your defense mess, do you mess up with them as well? He was the last line and the ball were all within his reach.
I had some level of confidence in the guy but lost every of it last nite.

Not even talking of some cheeky unneeded clearances he made last nite. The one he dashed Kuyt or was it Rodriguez
comes to mind.

My take is this, despite the transition process and the regression, we could have done a whole lot better.
I would really love to see Fergie's hands burnt in his own fire. We could have done way better than this.
We coulda snapped up Sneider. He was for the taking.

Injuries or non, United could have gotten better than we are presently.
Fergie is to blame
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 1:34am On Jan 30, 2012
Coogar,
About De Gea I think we need to be honest.
He cannot exclude himself from culpability in our defeat to Liverpool.
If we blame Evra being out of position for their winner,De Gea should have stopped that drive by Kuyt.It was a saveable shot by all means.What happened to the keeper being the last line of defence if he cant bail us out when the backline is breached?We might as well play nobody in goal if thats the case as you know the backline will not always be there to cover the goalie.Also the opener for Liverpool had him stranded when he should be dominating the 6-yard box if not the 18 from corner kicks.If he's waiting for his defenders to jump for corners, then he's got no business in goal.His predecessor VdS never filled us with trepidation when crosses came in while on duty for us.Add to his general nervous wreck attitude ( another feature he's become synonymous with) and you begin to wonder why he was bought if he isn't an improvement on Kuzczjac.
It's been like this all season with him.
As for the team, it's no use playing well and not winning.Like I said there's no cutting edge provided by a creative midfielder.Thats why we struggle to convert dominance into victories.Even if other folks who were out due to injury played I do not think the result would be different as none of them would give us the midfield  required to put ties like Saturday's away.
Which is downright Fergie's fault.We said we wouldn't go anywhere if the central midfield problem wasn't solved;alas,like a bad dream it went unsolved.Fergie placed his trust in Cleverley who's been out injured for most of our campaign,Anderson who's always oscillating between being injured and poor/inconsistent/indifferent displays,Michael Carrick who just came into himself only recently.Now that we're in this crisis,we're forced to rely on an already-retired Scholes at 37(which negates the aim of putting any emphasis on youth) as well as Giggs whose decision-making and general play are receding as fast as the number of black hairs on his adulterous head.Instead of Fergie to sign a CM,he got Ashley Young,someone I've never personally rated as good enough for United, and a winger.
Like I said before,there is no guarantee Cleverley will stay healthy till season's end if and when he returns.So placing our hopes with him to retain our title is not only unrealistic to me but also very unwise.
The injury list is terrible,but I still think we are supposed to have enough depth to weather storms like these.United have never used it as a reason for not getting the job done.I still think we should have bought this January.Some say the squad is good enough to get us to where we want to go this season.I think after seeing Saturday's loss,maybe not a few will readdress that position.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Effiko(m): 4:14am On Jan 30, 2012
so . . . . .2mao we ve gat stoke . . . .
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 3:20pm On Jan 30, 2012
“Don’t agree with all this negativity towards De Gea. Admittedly he has made a couple of mistakes this season but listening to some people you would think he had a nightmare yesterday. I’m not having either goal was his fault.

The problem is, once you get labelled, mud sticks and now any tiny mistake is magnified. Other keepers make similar mistakes and nothing gets said. The ball was on the 6 yard box for the first goal. He has to go for it. He also needs to watch the flight of the ball.

“There is then 6 players in front of him. There is nothing he could do. The free header was the problem, not the keeper. He couldn’t do much with the second goal either. Is the problem not just a case of us not winning the first ball and not picking up a runner? In my opinion two bad goals to give away but to blame everything on the keeper is totally wrong. The lad will be a top keeper, he is only young.

“Harsh to blame him for everything. Must say, as you will be quick to remind me, I’ve watched a lot of home games this season! The support from behind both goals for him has been brilliant. The fans know he needs their support, his confidence needs boosting. I’m sure he will repay that support for years to come.”

Michael Owen on DDG.

This sums up my opinion on DDG. I watched d game with my brother on Saturday, we're both United fans and hadn't watched a game together in a while. He spent 90 mins nitpicking and second guessing everything he did. I actually got a little annoyed when he fully laid blame of 2nd goal on him. At a point I had to remind him that its ridiculous to expect any player (much less a goalie) to be perfect and fully developed at 20-21 years. Other PL goalies are making similar errors with even more frequency and no one is exaggerating them. Some of the supposed soft goals he has conceded VDS conceded similar, few said a goalie of his experience should have stopped them. I know d media will go after him every time they feel they can, I just hope United fans who are supposed to understand why youth can develop, don't pile on and label him after just 5 months behind and unstable defense, new country, new language and totally different football culture and style.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 30, 2012
If I paid £18 million for a keeper I think I'd be right to expect solid performances from him given the high ratings he has had so far.
I don't buy the excuse that he's young.Iker Casiolas was his age in 2000 when he kept goal against us for Real in the CL and almost single-handedly denied us progress at OT.He is replacing Edwin van Der Sar not Tomasz Kuscsjk.We are supposed to be progressing from a season where we won the PL,finished second in the CL and reached the semis of the FA Cup.So there should be no room for shaky-shaky displays from week to week.
Michael Owen is entitled to his opinion but making excuses a la six players were in the box which didn't allow him to jump sounds like baloney to me.Edwin van Der Sar never filled any United fan with fear when he was between the sticks.He always commanded his eighteen/six yard box during corners/set pieces from the wings.Every player knew he was around and he threw his weight around no matter the size of the players involved.This muppet wearing our no1 jersey and gloves to match with a scraggly beard flaps at crosses that make his transfer fee look like 18 million CFAs.Ask us how Blackburn got three unthinkable points against us.
Face it:the boy hasn't got what it takes to make the jersey his.
You say these kind of errors happen regularly in the EPL.Damn it,you should be expecting the spotlight to be on you, because it's MANCHESTER UNITED.Who gives a flying hell about what the other 19 clubs do?Youre playing for the biggest club in England in all ramifications and you expect to pass under the radar?Then I guess you're the wrong club.I guess you should know this by now.Didnt DeGea expect that his every move on and off the pitch would be scrutinized?
Sorry but it doesn't quite cut it for me.If he's homesick,that's a different matter entirely.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 7:17pm On Jan 30, 2012
d 1st goal was mainly De Gea's fault but d defence didnt help.most of our defenders didnt jump but (as coogar rightly noted) were busy with their tug-of-war routine! however dis was due to their lack of confidence in d GK and they felt they had to protect him by hustling d Liverpool players away from him.
BUT at d end of d day goalies r there to make saves n d header was very stoppable HOWEVER our dear De Gea had stooped so low to conquer dt d ball actually glanced off d top of his head on its way to d net! now y would a keeper b squatting for an aerial ball?

on d 2nd goal its purely Evra's fault just cos as CAPTAIN n d MOST EXPERIENCED defender on d pitch he should know abt full back postioning especially when d oppostion hs d ball, he should hv bin goal side of kuyt n d goal would hv bin averted.many good keepers would hav saved kuyt's shot but many also would hv bin beaten so one cant blame de gea for dt
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 7:38pm On Jan 30, 2012
I wouldnt blame him for the 2nd goal, but that was a typical chance where late in a game we have mostly dominated he's called upon to bail the team out and he hasnt delivered.  Fact is, I just dont have any faith or confidence that when it comes to the crunch,he could save us in the dying minutes by producing a huge save or a great performance when the team has been poor.

I still think he should be given time and we shouldnt just dump him like that. He's obviously very talented and still really young for a goal keeper. Not many goalkeepers had this much pressure on them at this age and he's obviously talented if lacking confidence and consistent playing time. I wouldnt dump him yet but it means we have to be prepared to suffer a little to gain in the long run as if he fulfills his potential we could be sorted for a keeper for the next 15 odd years.

Might want to sort out laser eye surgery for him though. tongue
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 9:35pm On Jan 30, 2012
StarBoard:

If I paid £18 million for a keeper I think I'd be right to expect solid performances from him given the high ratings he has had so far.
I don't buy the excuse that he's young.Iker Casiolas was his age in 2000 when he kept goal against us for Real in the CL and almost single-handedly denied us progress at OT.He is replacing Edwin van Der Sar not Tomasz Kuscsjk.We are supposed to be progressing from a season where we won the PL,finished second in the CL and reached the semis of the FA Cup.So there should be no room for shaky-shaky displays from week to week.
Michael Owen is entitled to his opinion but making excuses a la six players were in the box which didn't allow him to jump sounds like baloney to me.Edwin van Der Sar never filled any United fan with fear when he was between the sticks.He always commanded his eighteen/six yard box during corners/set pieces from the wings.Every player knew he was around and he threw his weight around no matter the size of the players involved.This muppet wearing our no1 jersey and gloves to match with a scraggly beard flaps at crosses that make his transfer fee look like 18 million CFAs.Ask us how Blackburn got three unthinkable points against us.
Face it:the boy hasn't got what it takes to make the jersey his.
You say these kind of errors happen regularly in the EPL.Damn it,you should be expecting the spotlight to be on you, because it's MANCHESTER UNITED.Who gives a flying hell about what the other 19 clubs do?Youre playing for the biggest club in England in all ramifications and you expect to pass under the radar?Then I guess you're the wrong club.I guess you should know this by now.Didnt DeGea expect that his every move on and off the pitch would be scrutinized?
Sorry but it doesn't quite cut it for me.If he's homesick,that's a different matter entirely.

Mr_TA:

I wouldnt blame him for the 2nd goal, but that was a typical chance where late in a game we have mostly dominated he's called upon to bail the team out and he hasnt delivered.  Fact is, I just dont have any faith or confidence that when it comes to the crunch,he could save us in the dying minutes by producing a huge save or a great performance when the team has been poor.

I still think he should be given time and we shouldnt just dump him like that. He's obviously very talented and still really young for a goal keeper. Not many goalkeepers had this much pressure on them at this age and he's obviously talented if lacking confidence and consistent playing time. I wouldnt dump him yet but it means we have to be prepared to suffer a little to gain in the long run as if he fulfills his potential we could be sorted for a keeper for the next 15 odd years.

Might want to sort out laser eye surgery for him though. tongue

edwin van der sar versus drogba

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p044zDMDl5Y?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"[/flash]

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NacjrZ8Flvc?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"[/flash]

how are these goals any different to the goal david de gea conceded against dirk kuyt @ anfield? grin cheesy
same area of the pitch, same angular shots, same culprit(evra who was on a walk-about). . . .

if you add theo walcott's goal @ old trafford this season from the same area of the pitch then it's fair to conclude the 2nd goal was evra's fault and any goalkeeper in the world would have conceded that goal with the way evra exposed his goalkeeper.

i am all for constructive criticism but de gea wasn't at fault for the 2 goals united conceded @ anfield.
i rest my case!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 10:01pm On Jan 30, 2012
^^^My point exactly. Some of this stuff is just ridiculous. Anyway back to league action tomorrow.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 10:27pm On Jan 30, 2012
totally agree with coogar on d 2nd goal, but he could hv done better with d 1st goal men,if he was standing tall rather than bending down for shoryuken he would hv palmed d ball down easily! i am not here to criticize him o,he is still young n myt learn BUT he was partially culpable for dt 1st goal sha, just hope he learns from it.
ANYWAYS wats d latest news from d healing baths of Mancunia,who is fit n who is not?
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by coogar: 10:30pm On Jan 30, 2012
afrodoc:

totally agree with coogar on d 2nd goal, but he could hv done better with d 1st goal men,if he was standing tall rather than bending down for shoryuken he would hv palmed d ball down easily! i am not here to criticize him o,he is still young n myt learn BUT he was partially culpable for dt 1st goal sha, just hope he learns from it.
ANYWAYS wats d latest news from d healing baths of Mancunia,who is fit n who is not?

without over-flogging the issue. . . . .daniel agger had a free header on target.
none of our 6+ foot defenders jumped and cleared the danger. they had all formed an obstacle in front of de gea.

if he had stayed on his line and conceded that goal, we would be blaming him for not attempting to palm or punch the ball out.
when he made an attempt, he was blocked by his own defenders. we defended poorly for that goal - evans and smalling must take the blame for it.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 10:58pm On Jan 30, 2012
d last stroke of cane on d issue grin smalling nd evans must SHARE d blame, along with De Gea! now d issue has bin officially overflogged.now pls who hs squad news for our next match
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by ritchboy(m): 11:37pm On Jan 30, 2012
afrodoc:

now pls who hs squad news for our next match

Cantona has come out of retirement, he said he missed playing too much!
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by afrodoc(m): 11:52pm On Jan 30, 2012
he came a game late,we needed him against Liverpool, wil never forget his FA Cup winner against them(1996 i tink).poor match but great goal
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 3:32am On Jan 31, 2012
coogar,
You can do much better than contradict yourself.
You blamed VdS foe Pedro's goal at Wembley (by saying he didnt dive to his left)in much similar circumstances(Evra being out of position).How come you're defending DDG and now blaming Evra on this one?
Since you are the YouTube expert(wonder what you'll do if the US govt closes it down)
Please provide clips of van Der Sar passing the ball in his 6 yard box to opposing players or flapping wildly several times when crosses come in to the box or generally being out of sorts in one single game.
I know you'll bring out the West Brom game from last season (which is expected)but to show us the goal where Drogba was offside before he scored is technically wrong and null and void.Besides,van Der Sar has bailed us out with saves when the back line has been caught out on several occasions.Can you simply say the same of De when a game is on the line?
He was (partially and completely)at fault for the two goals.He is no better than Lindergaard as you claim.The excuse of defenders not allowing him to jump is akin to fetching water with a basket.Like I said before, he hasn't commanded his zone since day one and the Agger goal is the latest episode to highlight this.
If you were bought for 18million quid (more than your back line put together) you should be saving us from defeat at the death instead of looking for excuses like language barrier, doughnuts,eyesight and scraggly beards)
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by adebayo201: 8:04am On Jan 31, 2012
afrodoc:

he came a game late,we needed him against Liverpool, wil never forget his FA Cup winner against them(1996 i tink).poor match but great goal
just lyk PS22,make we go cal VdS out of retirement 2 save us! grin

2day's line up, i wil prefer dat of FA cup squad bt DB9 2 start ahead of DW19
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 10:12am On Jan 31, 2012
StarBoard:

Since you are the YouTube expert(wonder what you'll do if the US govt closes it down)
Please provide clips of van Der Sar passing the ball in his 6 yard box to opposing players or flapping wildly several times when crosses come in to the box or generally being out of sorts in one single game.
I know you'll bring out the West Brom game from last season (which is expected)but to show us the goal where Drogba was offside before he scored is technically wrong and null and void.Besides,van Der Sar has bailed us out with saves when the back line has been caught out on several occasions.Can you simply say the same of De when a game is on the line?

This is why I say some of d criticisms are getting silly. I could point out that you are comparing a 40 year old retired veteran, decorated international and club captain, who had played in 3 different leagues before signing with United, to a 21 year old goalie, who has shown great potential and already has European's winners medals for club and country. But I know you will say DDG must perform at United and no excuses (I am sure you would have argued we jettisoned CR7 when he came for a then record fee in 2003 cos he wasn't at d level of Becks whom he replaced for his initial 3 seasons and also thrown out Nani when he was struggling up until 2010).

You say VDS saved our asses many times. I totally agree whatever few mistakes he made, his overall performances more than made up for them. But you do realise you are comparing VDS who had 6 seasons and 260 odd appearances as undisputed no.1 to amass his record, to DDG who has had 5 months and maybe 20 appearances while splitting games with Lindegaard. Of course you can recall more instances of VDS saving our asses. He had 6 seasons to amass such moments.

I am sure you will dismiss d games against Stoke, Liverpool where if not for some quality keeping from DDG we would and should have lost, you won't count a number of good saves and strong performance when Chelsea were ripping our defence, or his pk save against Arsenal at 1-0. Its 5 months and you are already making total conclusions. Just to note in VDS first season we finished last in our UCL group and were out of league contention by January despite a late rally. So even an experienced pro like VDS didn't hit d ground running, saving our asses regularly when he first arrived.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 10:42am On Jan 31, 2012
Ok oh. . . . DDG is not to blame. Why not lets just start him tonight against Stoke and let him get a proper, thorough examination!!?

Besides the goalkeeping and defensive lapses that lead to the goals, we did play far better than Liverpool and indeed, most games this season; I'd like to see that same upfield squad (minus DW19), perhaps with Nani included against Stoke and afterwards for most games in what is left of the season. . . . .it was quite impressive the way they kept the ball and limited L'pool to just long punts down the park; essential if we are going to keep up the competition for top spot.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 11:07am On Jan 31, 2012
They may have kept possession, but they created next to nothing and that wasn't just cos Welbeck had a stinker. Besides Liverpool are far from a great team, so I wouldn't be eager to field similar line-ups against d likes of Spurs and Chelsea who can exploit our defensive weaknesses and press and disrupts d midfield not to mention hold possession themselves.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by MrTA(m): 11:08am On Jan 31, 2012
DDG will get a run as apparently AL has an injury that will keep him out for a bit. Dont think Nani will make tonights' match also. Talk about bare bones of the squad.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 31, 2012
montelik:

This is why I say some of d criticisms are getting silly. I could point out that you are comparing a 40 year old retired veteran, decorated international and club captain, who had played in 3 different leagues before signing with United, to a 21 year old goalie, who has shown great potential and already has European's winners medals for club and country. But I know you will say DDG must perform at United and no excuses (I am sure you would have argued we jettisoned CR7 when he came for a then record fee in 2003 cos he wasn't at d level of Becks whom he replaced for his initial 3 seasons and also thrown out Nani when he was struggling up until 2010).
Funny you're talking about silly criticism when your analogy is even dafter.
David De Gea was signed to be primarily Edwin van der Sar's SUCCESSOR (Meaning: 1. a thing that suceeds or follows. 2.a person who succeeds another in an office, position, or the like), unlike the Nani and Ronaldo signings. Ronaldo was never like David Beckham so don't force me to believe that bull.He was signed almost on the spot after a pre-season friendly.Nani was signed not as a replacement for anybody either.
Which tells me he has a defined path to cover, and a precedent has been set before him.
It was always going to be hard to succeed van der Sar, but having said all that, he knew the job he had at hand.
All these excuses (he's only 21; he has only played in Spain and is learning the language) are rubbish  and lame to me when he wasn't forced to sign with a gun to his head. Simples. Nassimo Taibi showed potential and got discarded too. Lots of folks show potential everywhere (Luke Chadwick, Chris Eagles at United) but they couldn't cut it.You have to realise that it takes more than potential to succeed at United.
montelik:

I am sure you will dismiss d games against Stoke, Liverpool where if not for some quality keeping from DDG we would and should have lost, you won't count a number of good saves and strong performance when Chelsea were ripping our defence, or his pk save against Arsenal at 1-0. Its 5 months and you are already making total conclusions. Just to note in VDS first season we finished last in our UCL group and were out of league contention by January despite a late rally. So even an experienced pro like VDS didn't hit d ground running, saving our asses regularly when he first arrived.
Yeah, he had good games against Stoke and Liverpool earlier on but couldn't be bothered to manage to be consistent against the same Liverpool three months later by putting in a nervous wreck of a performance.
Yeah he had good games against Stoke and Liverpool but made several errors since:against Benfica at OT and Basel away in Switzeland, silly goals conceeded (2 vs City in the shield, against West brom,against Arsenal -Theo Walcott. . .then the howler against Blackburn on New years eve. . .among others.) and you tell me 5 months is not enough to judge a keeper.
You refer to 2005/6 and I ask you to tell me that side was ready to do anything till Fergie dipped in the transfer market the  winter of that season and made some astute buys.You fail to realise that even that side won the Carling Cup,as bad as they were.You forget conveniently that that side went trophiless the season before,playing really dire football,to the point Roy Keane had to have a go at his side and get kicked out of the side.
You forget that his is a side that is 8 months off achieving the 19th league title and coming off a second-placed finish in Europe, and as such should be more solid and should be aiming higher.
At least in 2005/6 when we got VdS, we knew we had a quality goalkeeper,tried and tested.
In 2011/12, we have a goalkeeper full of potential but is filling is us with fear each time with sticks.
Spot the difference and get off your high horse.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by montelik(m): 11:51am On Jan 31, 2012
StarBoard:

Funny you're talking about silly criticism when your analogy is even dafter.
David De Gea was signed to be primarily Edwin van der Sar's SUCCESSOR (Meaning: 1. a thing that suceeds or follows. 2.a person who succeeds another in an office, position, or the like), unlike the Nani and Ronaldo signings. Ronaldo was never like David Beckham so don't force me to believe that bull.He was signed almost on the spot after a pre-season friendly.Nani was signed not as a replacement for anybody either.
Which tells me he has a defined path to cover, and a precedent has been set before him.

VDS played gk wore no.1 for United, DDG plays gk same number. Beckham played right wing wore no. 7 for United, CR7 came and played d same position d ffg season and most of his time at O.T. how can you say its different? Its not about likeness as no 2 players are clones. VDS was a great gk but significantly different from d great Dane. Evra is different for Dennis Irwin, Nicky Butt was different when he succeeded Ince, Beckham was different when succeeded Kanchelskis, Keane was different when he succeeded Robson, Sheringham was also different when replaced Cantona. All these players came and played d same position as d player who left but weren't expected to be exact clones or immediate hits. So yes CR7 succeeded Becks. The analogy tallies, whether you like it or not. So by your take we should thrown CR7 into d bin after he didn't meet up in his first 2-3 seasons, much less 5 months, despite d potential he showed?

StarBoard:

All these excuses (he's only 21; he has only played in Spain and is learning the language) are rubbish  and lame to me when he wasn't forced to sign with a gun to his head. Simples. Nassimo Taibi showed potential and got discarded too. Lots of folks show potential everywhere (Luke Chadwick, Chris Eagles at United) but they couldn't cut it.You have to realise that it takes more than potential to succeed at United.Yeah, he had good games against Stoke and Liverpool earlier on but couldn't be bothered to manage to be consistent against the same Liverpool three months later by putting in a nervous wreck of a performance.
Yeah he had good games against Stoke and Liverpool but made several errors since:against Benfica at OT and Basel away in Switzeland, silly goals conceeded (2 vs City in the shield, against West brom,against Arsenal -Theo Walcott. . .then the howler against Blackburn on New years eve. . .among others.) and you tell me 5 months is not enough to judge a keeper.
You refer to 2005/6 and I ask you to tell me that side was ready to do anything till Fergie dipped in the transfer market the  winter of that season and made some astute buys.You fail to realize that even that side won the Carling Cup,as bad as they were.You forget conveniently that that side went trophiless the season before,playing really dire football,to the point Roy Keane had to have a go at his side and get kicked out of the side.
You forget that his is a side that is 8 months off achieving the 19th league title and coming off a second-placed finish in Europe, and as such should be more solid and should be aiming higher.
At least in 2005/6 when we got VdS, we knew we had a quality goalkeeper,tried and tested.
In 2011/12, we have a goalkeeper full of potential but is filling is us with fear each time with sticks.
Spot the difference and get off your high horse.

Chadwick and Eagles. Quick question was final judgement passed on them in 5 months, yes or no? By your new 5 month rule do you know how many quality players we would have discarded before they blossomed or is this standard only pertaining to DDG.
Re: Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 by RuuDie(m): 12:33pm On Jan 31, 2012
montelik:

They may have kept possession, but they created next to nothing and that wasn't just cos Welbeck had a stinker. Besides Liverpool are far from a great team, so I wouldn't be eager to field similar line-ups against d likes of Spurs and Chelsea who can exploit our defensive weaknesses and press and disrupts d midfield not to mention hold possession themselves.

If we can play possession footie like that against any of the other top sides, we will most definitely stand a better chance of beating 'em. . . . . .footie is all about patience these days. You have possession, keep it well; with time, heads drop, folks tire or just lose a bit of concentration and the 'exploitable' spaces begin to open up.

DW19 is just not good or mature enough. . . . .even O'shea has better judgement - the boy is just a waste of space angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (100)

Manchester United Vs Liverpool (0 - 5) On 24th October 2021 / Arsenal Vs Chelsea :FA Cup Final (2 - 1) On 27th May 2017 / Manchester United Vs Chelsea : FA Cup Semi-final - (1 - 3) On 19th July 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.