Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,486 members, 7,812,508 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide (3733 Views)

The Pretty Banker Who Married A Danfo Driver: True Love Story / Girl Commits Suicide Over Mother's Comments / My Jobless Husband Impregnated Another Woman Twice -ex-banker • (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by OAM4J: 4:47am On Jul 20, 2011
[size=13pt]Jilted female ex-banker commits suicide[/size]

An ex-banker, Miss Motunrayo Ogbara, on Monday committed suicide after being jilted by her lover.

The corpse of Ogbara, 26, from the famous Ogbara family, Ikorodu, Lagos, was discovered hanging from the ceiling of her sister’s residence on Allen Avenue.

According to a source, who craved anonymity, the deceased was a former employee of the Access Bank but resigned recently.

“Motunrayo (Ogbara) was an employee of Access Bank but she recently resigned. She told us she had received a job offer at the MTN and we were happy for her,” she said.

Another friend of the deceased told one of our correspondents that the deceased became depressed after receiving the sad news.

“She had a medical problem but nobody was sure of the exact problem. It seems her fiancé later found out about the health issue and he called off the wedding and dumped her. This left her depressed,” she said.

Although the deceased was described as a sociable person, PUNCH METRO’s finding showed that she was neither on Facebook nor Twitter.

Another source, a former classmate of the deceased said she did not expect Motunrayo(Ogbara) to indulge in such an act.

The source, who craved anonymity, said “She was my classmate at Queen’s College, Yaba. We both graduated in 2001.

“Although we were not very close, I knew her very well because she was one of the most popular girls in the school. She had many friends because she was pretty and many girls liked following her around.”

Our correspondent learnt that after graduating from Queen’s College in 2001, Ogbara gained admission into the University of Lagos through Diploma two programme to study Economics.

PUNCH METRO investigations showed that no autopsy was carried out and she was buried on Tuesday at Vaults and Garden Cemetery, Ikoyi.

A close family member of the deceased, who craved anonymity, said Ogbara was jilted and had attempted suicide in December, 2010, before she was stopped.

She said, “Ogbara was engaged to a guy and plans were already on for their wedding. But she had a health issue resulting in the removal of her womb. When the guy knew about this, he dumped her and married another girl. She became depressed and attempted to commit suicide in December 2010.

“But before she could carry out the act, people came to her rescue and since then she was being closely monitored by family members. As a result, the family employed a driver for her. She was very brilliant and made a Second Class (Upper Division) in Economics at UNILAG. She did not lack anything and had a bright future.

“Her father paid for her Master’s programme in the UK. But after four months, she returned home, saying she was not concentrating on her studies. She was always complaining. At a point, she called home to say she was not having money. So, her family sent some money to her and even got her a new car. Yet, she insisted on coming home.

“When she returned home, her father got her a job at MTN and she was to resume on Monday but that was the same day she committed suicide.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201107201294950
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by OAM4J: 4:49am On Jul 20, 2011
Very sad story. sad

I have few questions:

1. Why will any partner wait till the eve of his/her wedding before disclosing his/her health issue with his/her partner?

2. Does this situation worth suicide?

3. Will u still encourage abortion for unwanted pregnancies?
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by BABE3: 5:03am On Jul 20, 2011
Sad sad story. Who are all these friends/sources giving us random gists sef?--I've heard too many "accounts" already. Ish!  Answers to your questions:

1. because: the partner is an "indirect/white" liar. The partner doesn't want to lose his/her partner. The partner thinks telling his/her partner a night before is a form of "trapping" his/her partner.

2. Hmmm--- No, nothing is worth going to hell over.

3.I'm an advocate of keeping the child alive. So, no, I would not. If some of us had been "flushed" away, we wouldn't have the "privilege" of even knowing what the 4uck abortion is.

RIP (to the deceased).
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by tpia5: 5:05am On Jul 20, 2011
lord have mercy.

the story is clearer now.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Nobody: 5:07am On Jul 20, 2011
Such a beautiful woman with a great job.

Suicide? Not worth it. I guess with love comes the lack of ability to think str8.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Odunnu: 5:21am On Jul 20, 2011
Lord of mercy! Youths sure need a change, a re orientation of mindset.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by bashydemy(m): 8:17am On Jul 20, 2011
RIP Miss Ogbara
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by dempeople(m): 8:59am On Jul 20, 2011
Na wa o. Women and love - Very extremely inseparable things.

RIP.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Abbycrown(f): 9:07am On Jul 20, 2011
So sad a story. The poor lady felt she couldn't find a man that would love her in spite of her condition. It's really late for her though, but not late for other ladies out there with a peculiar issue, that cutting off the head is not the solution to headache. She could have actually met a guy who would love her enough to consider adopting children as theirs. cry
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by blacklion(m): 9:08am On Jul 20, 2011
If the medical issue was e.g. cervical cancer, PID etc and the BF really loved her that much, couldn't he have agreed with her that they would adopt or use surrogate mum?

If the medical issue was abortion complications or HIV/AIDS and she DELIBERATELY withheld the info until last minute, many or most men would likely react very drastically.

But I still think if the man truly loved her, he'd think carefully about the possible emotional/mental impact of ending the engagement abruptly.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by obowunmi(m): 9:35am On Jul 20, 2011
The pressure on Nigerian women to marry. At the age of 16, you begin getting groomed. Sorry to all women out there, getting marriage is not the end nor is it the only purpose you were created.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by obowunmi(m): 9:45am On Jul 20, 2011
Read another article on this and seems she was suffering from mental health issues --- when these issues go untreated they can become severe. The Nigerian medical school systems needs to begin paying attention to its mental health patients. And folks like her who can afford treatment should seek help before its too late. Apparently she was suffering from severe depression.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Smilenw(f): 10:03am On Jul 20, 2011
^^Feel the mental issue is more appicable here as someone who was jilted and attempted suicide in December 2010 wouldn't wait for close to 7 months for the next attempt. She should've been out of the depression by now, with a change in environment with her visit to the UK and all.

Although the deceased was described as a sociable person, PUNCH METRO’s finding showed that she was neither on Facebook nor Twitter.

Ridiculous ! Many popular people, including actors and politicians are not on FB or Twitter. Does that make them any less social ? undecided

May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by coogar: 10:10am On Jul 20, 2011
so her fiance left her because she had severe mental issues or because she didn't have a womb?

this is the issue about nigerian journalists. you can never get a consistent story from them. the other day, akolade that murdered his wife in cold-blood was said to be a born again christian. few hours later, it was reported he was a cult-boy in school who engages in drinking/smoking/womanizing.

r.i.p. miss tunrayo ogbara.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Trecixnine(m): 12:58pm On Jul 20, 2011
This is really pathetic,I think the reason for the suicide is because of the womb removal not solely for her fiance decision. Head or tail, neither is worth suicide though life could seems meaningless when there is nothing aspiring.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by maclatunji: 2:08pm On Jul 20, 2011
Sad!
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by isalegan2: 12:25am On Jul 21, 2011
OAM4J:

Very sad story. sad

I have few questions:

1. Why will any partner wait till the eve of his/her wedding before disclosing his/her health issue with his/her partner?

2. Does this situation worth suicide?

3. Will u still encourage abortion for unwanted pregnancies?

1. If anyone surprises me on the eve of the wedding, they better be ready for an even bigger surprise.
2.  Better still, where did a Naija girl learn to hang herself by her neck until her neck breaks, or she strangles, or suffocates on her own blood?
3. What are you talking about? shocked Snap out of it!!!
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Outstrip(f): 4:52am On Jul 21, 2011
Beautiful girl. She was just misguided. Who told her that she would never find lasting love with a man? So sad. May her soul rest in peace
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Nobody: 6:10am On Jul 21, 2011
them never born the dude wey go make me commit suicide

RIP
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by ifit: 10:48am On Jul 21, 2011
really sad. she shouldn't have given up on life just like that. very beautiful girl.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by SleekReek(m): 11:14am On Jul 21, 2011
This is a sad depiction of how we define love and marriage in Nigeria and Africa,it quite clear her lover may have said,"i love you and want to marry you" but actually meant i love the idea of marrying you and having children,so without a womb(presumably) he couldn't stomach it and he just ended it without a blink of an eye. What is love/ and why do we marry is the question we should all ask ourselves. Very sad story but i wished she came to Nairaland the forum may have given her hope,sucide was definitely not the way.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by delpee(f): 11:20am On Jul 21, 2011
So sad.  The main problem i believe is depression which often leads to suicide/murder  when not properly treated. I once had to assist in the treatment of a young relative who kept planning for death due to some serious problems he had. With the help of medical personnel and strong family support, he recovered. Depression is a major problem for young people as i got to know while researching online then but is easier to resolve here with no/little drugs cos of the african family support system and religous organisations intervention in place. The use of certain vitamins help as i discovered then as well as social networking sites like NL.

The pressure on people to marry and sustain it at all costs is a problem for those who cant stand their ground and live happily under any situation. The loss of her womb is also no biggie because it can happen to anyone. It doesnt have to be through abortion and it can happen even after marriage. Adoption and surrogacy are options to any couple that has such a challenge.

Da doctor should please enlighten us for people to be wiser and more proactive. May her soul rest in perfect peace. Amen.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by obowunmi(m): 1:35pm On Jul 21, 2011
Well said sleek reek. Well said.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Wumine(f): 3:41pm On Jul 21, 2011
Waoh! That's some sad story there sad sad
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by ronkebp(f): 4:08pm On Jul 21, 2011
So sorry for her, she took the wrong step in everything, before even dating the guy in the first place she should have told him about her condition, she just wasted her life.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by dayokanu(m): 6:32pm On Jul 21, 2011
blacklion:

But I still think if the man truly loved her, he'd think carefully about the possible emotional/mental impact of ending the engagement abruptly.

Shouldnt she have thought about witholding such vital information from the boyfriend?

A close family member of the deceased, who craved anonymity, said Ogbara was jilted and had attempted suicide in December, 2010, before she was stopped.

She said, “Ogbara was engaged to a guy and plans were already on for their wedding. But she had a health issue resulting in the removal of her womb. When the guy knew about this, he dumped her and married another girl. She became depressed and attempted to commit suicide in December 2010.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by tpia5: 6:39pm On Jul 21, 2011

she really should have told him from the getgo, so at least the relationship wouldnt have progressed further and they might have even remained friends.

it wasnt really fair to the guy to withhold that kind of information.

i think people around her did their best to help but sometimes things still happen, unfortunately.

i'm not sure what the man could have done in this instance, besides not marrying so soon. Or maybe he could have just moved away.

i hope the guy wasnt married during the relationship like people are saying, because that would be weird.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by dayokanu(m): 7:00pm On Jul 21, 2011
^^ I agree with everything Tpia wrote.

Tope do you see that me and you fit each other? kiss
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by honeric01(m): 9:48pm On Jul 21, 2011
What kind of medical complications/issues did she suffer that made her lose her womb?

May God comfort her family members

As for her, what can i say? may God have mercy!
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by tpia5: 9:55pm On Jul 21, 2011
hope there's no foul play at work however, despite everything.
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Natasha2(f): 10:02pm On Jul 21, 2011
oh gosh it was out of depression angry angry why is everyone saying it as if its just the dump that made her kill herself? the poor girl was depressed, and someone who is depressed most times will end up committing suicide
Re: Jilted Female Ex-banker Commits Suicide by Mobinga: 10:14pm On Jul 21, 2011
Conflicting reports. The other report says she was 30, this one says she's 26.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Our Ladies Reject Virgin Men? / When The Bossoms Fail To Produce Milk. / Staring At Women’s Breasts Make Men Live Longer, Healthier – Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.