Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts (3125 Views)

Abacha $300 Million Loot: Twitter Nigeria Reacts / Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation / Jubril Aminu Calls For Ban Of Christian Association Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 1:08pm On Feb 22, 2006
Christians in the north are being killed. Churches are being burned.

The federal government is doing nothing about it. If you're a victim of these killings, too bad.

What is your solution to this problem?

Response please.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 3:18pm On Feb 22, 2006
My solution is simple: arrest the perpetrators in the north and in the south. Treat it as an issue of criminals vs civilians and leave the issue of ethnic or religious rethoric out of it. If a man kills a child, the issue of whether the child was "rude" to him previously is not what we should be talking about! Treat it like a crime, pure and simple. Get rid of the immunity that these "muslim" and "christian" criminals think they have.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 5:02pm On Feb 22, 2006
I know you're not dumb. So kindly read the question and furnish the appropriate response.

My bone of contention here is The federal government is doing nothing about it..

So, please let us know how you propose to get anybody arrested and brought to justice.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 6:07pm On Feb 22, 2006
The solution is to tell the federal government to do something about it.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 7:58pm On Feb 22, 2006
Yes, we need to tell the federal government to do a lot of things Seun.

In the meantime while the government is doing nothing at all about it, what is your solution to the problem?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Seun(m): 8:15pm On Feb 22, 2006
the government is not doing "nothing at all". Many rioters have been arrested in Maiduguri.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by 9ijaMan: 8:18pm On Feb 22, 2006
Oasis,
The first solution if for the leaders of the 9ija deltans to stopfooling their pple.
Rivers State's allocation is almost 3 times the allocation to most states in the country, yet there are more and better developmental projects seen in these states as compared Rivers State.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by toshmann(m): 8:39pm On Feb 22, 2006
who says there is no justification in onitsha killings?what do u understand by justification and who defines what is just.the message is clear,everyone to his tribe, no nation,no peace,no govt, total anarchy. the killings in the north did not start today.it has been there b4 independence.govt did nothing.now the victims are defending themselves,by making a point that no one can lay claim to a monopoly of violence.the seasonal northern killings at the slightest provokation must stop.since govt failed{as usual} then something has to happen.this is it. who says nigeria is not a failed state?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 10:05pm On Feb 22, 2006
the killings in the north did not start today.it has been there before independence.govt did nothing.now the victims are defending themselves,by making a point that no one can lay claim to a monopoly of violence.

Christians would always have one foot in the grave, especially the ones residing in the north, unless something is done about Islamic extremism in Nigeria.

These things are possible:

1. The government fulfils its duty to the people to serve and protect.
2. Christians and muslims come up with a non-violence pact in equitable negotiations.
3. The christians themselves adopt vigilante justice to defend their life and property.

It's an understatement to say the first option has been a woeful failure.
The second statement is a joke, since muslims won't negotiate with an "infidel".

That leaves option 3.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by toshmann(m): 10:17pm On Feb 22, 2006
A RESPONSIBLE GOVT CAN STOP THIS MESS.ALL IT TAKES IS TO EQUIP THE POLICE TO ARREST THESE PEOPLE ,PROSECUTE THEM,GET THE SPONSORS TOO,AND RE-EDUCATE THE CITIZENS THROUGH GOOD EDUCATION AND ORIENTATION PROGRAMMES,NOT MONEY MAKING VENTURES LIKE MAMSER ETC,BUT U SEE,OUR LEADERS ARE BUSY DISCUSSING 3RD TERM.IF THIS KIND OF THING SHOULD HAPPEN IN EUROPE,SOMEONE WILL LOOSE HIS JOB,BUT IN NAIJA,NOTHING HAPPENS,IT IS FORGOTTEN,END OF STORY.THIS IS THE FALLOUT.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Nobody: 11:31pm On Feb 22, 2006
I understand your sentiment. But you clearly lack the ability to connect the dots into a whole thought.

This muslim rampage goes beyond Nigeria's borders. It's an international incident.

During Bill Clinton, terrorist attacks on the US were rampant. Since Bush took the fight to them, we haven't seen another attack in over 5 years. What can you deduce from that lesson in relation to Nigeria? If you want peace, you must quit being a pacifist. Muslims don't understand diplomacy.

@ Oasis
i wonder with your comments if you lived in nigeria at all? in what way is the sectarian violence in bauchi and onitsha an international one? Who killed who in denmark where the cartoons where published?
Did we hear of any deaths in saudi arabia, the acclaimed home of islam and the "prophet"?

Pls wholly consider issues before making irrelevant and uninformed comments. The Federal Government is "doing nothing" about this incidence because they know whom they are dealing with, this is a north vs south issue and Obasanjo knows better than to clash with the sokoto caliphate. He knows better than to take on the northern hegemony that has held us to ransom since 1960!
When ibos where slaughtered in their thousands in 1996, was it about cartoons or religion?
Is this the 10th time this same situation is happening?
Are there no muslims in the south and east too?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Nobody: 11:37pm On Feb 22, 2006
9ijaMan:

Oasis,
The first solution if for the leaders of the 9ija deltans to stopfooling their people.
Rivers State's allocation is almost 3 times the allocation to most states in the country, yet there are more and better developmental projects seen in these states as compared Rivers State.

@9ijaman

pls keep quiet. Your argument is totally untenable. if the naija delta pple decide to throw their money into the well. it is nobody's right to cry foul. Besides where are the "developmental" projects you claim are seen in the so called other states? Is it justified that those who produce are forced to "share" with those that do not?
Is this not the same system of govt "fiscal federalism" that works beautifully in europe and america?
Those who do not produce shld not eat! That is the only way to stimulate the growth of other sectors of the economy.
While all 36 state finance commissioners are fighting over "federal allocation" from oil, the americans are already testing alternative sources of energy. When oil runs out in the next 30yrs, i will only be too glad to have given my children a foothold in life by ensuring they do not carry the passports of a country ruled by nincompoops.

thanks
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by paddylo1(m): 11:40pm On Feb 22, 2006
I must tell u i have nothing but contempt for the Muslims, in Nigeria and all over the world, killing innocent children in iraq, suicide bombings in Israel, i think that there must be a final solution to this madness, either muslims are forcefully converted to another more peaceful religion, that is after being defeated in a third world war, or they should just be bombed to oblivion, There are people suffering more injustice in this world than muslims ever have and still they have not threathened world peace, and frankly speaking i wish some of the black muslim fools in Nigeria can travel to Arab countries and see how they look down on black people, yet you kill your own kind just to please an arab man, what a joke, Northern Governors should be removed and replaced with a Military Administrator, that might just teach the northerners to have some common sense,
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by toshmann(m): 12:23am On Feb 23, 2006
paddy lo,
i used to share ur views about muslims until i came to europe.i have met muslims here.nice citizens.so,it is a problem of naija muslims from the north.some has to be done now.and fast.by the govt.or else,the country is drifting towards the dead end.naija bridge is falling down,LIKE THE FAILED STATE THAT IT IS.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by raldsfield(m): 12:47am On Feb 23, 2006
Am glad that a warning has been sent out to the Muslims,

It is their choice to make now, if they say they are peaceful then they will have to

fish out those that have being causing mayhem in the name of their religion or face the music

when such an event occurs again.

Christian's should read more of the old testament now. And find power in the word of God.

In the days of old we were violent too. And with the power of the God of Israel we will go places.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 1:37am On Feb 23, 2006
Who killed who in denmark where the cartoons where published?

Why would anybody be killed in Denmark where muslim population is a paltry 4%?

Did we hear of any deaths in saudi arabia, the acclaimed home of islam and the "prophet"?

Why Arabia? Saudis are not known for open riots.

How about Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Indonesia, etc. Innocent people killed, embassies burned. Oh, I know, you're on a different Internet than I am. That must explain your ignorance.

Please wholly consider issues before making irrelevant and uninformed comments.

Time to take back those comments. You clearly are the uninformed.

The Federal Government is "doing nothing" about this incidence because they know whom they are dealing with, this is a north vs south issue and Obasanjo knows better than to clash with the sokoto caliphate. He knows better than to take on the northern hegemony that has held us to ransom since 1960!

He knows better than to the sokoto caliphate? I'm sure Seun will have a beef with you on that statement. He says all rioters are being arrested, but you say nothing is being done. Are you lying, or is he lying?

When ibos where slaughtered in their thousands in 1996, was it about cartoons or religion?
Is this the 10th time this same situation is happening?
Are there no muslims in the south and east too?

You're rambling. When you're ready to clearly express yourself, I'd respond.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Nobody: 1:47am On Feb 23, 2006

@oasis

i probably would not have responded but for the "uninformed" part of your statement because your replies do not merit any reply.
He knows better than to the sokoto caliphate? I'm sure Seun will have a beef with you on that statement. He says all rioters are being arrested, but you say nothing is being done. Are you lying, or is he lying?
Are we talking reality here or what seun thinks? Please go read between the lines, if this maiming and killing where taking place in the niger delta we would have had helicopter gunships there by now. Do you remember Odi? Only a few soldiers where killed and the whole village was leveled. Why did the Kano gov openly defy the President's orders on the Hisbah and why has he not said anything?
i don't have time to enumerate here but you are being immature by turning this into a personal vendetta. pls discuss issues and facts.

Why would anybody be killed in Denmark where muslim population is a paltry 4%?
it is not about the population size my brother but that they respect the rule of law! There are no sacred cows in denmark unlike northern nigeria and besides the literacy level is 99%
Get some sense!

Why Arabia? Saudis are not known for open riots.

How about Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Indonesia, etc. Innocent people killed, embassies burned. Oh, I know, you're on a different Internet than I am. That must explain your ignorance.
Indeed! Where are the innocent pple killed in Iran and pakistan? Everyone knows that the middle east has been a cauldron of violence for yrs, flag burning and embassy attacking did not start today and shld not be confused with the cartoon issue.

in fact me refuse to be drawn into arguments with those who only browse google and think they know it all!!! angry
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 4:16am On Feb 23, 2006
Are we talking reality here or what seun thinks?

In other words, Seun is a nonentity when it comes to facts?  You're saying the guy is not a realist?

Please go read between the lines, if this maiming and killing where taking place in the niger delta we would have had helicopter gunships there by now. Do you remember Odi? Only a few soldiers where killed and the whole village was leveled.

I don't know if you've followed this whole thread, or you skipped most of it.  You are re-affirming the same points that I've been harping on all along.   That the federal government cares nothing about christian lives in the north, which invariably justifies the reactions in Onitsha.

I maintain my position as a supporter of the reaction in Onitsha.

Indeed! Where are the innocent people killed in Iran and pakistan? Everyone knows that the middle east has been a cauldron of violence for years, flag burning and embassy attacking did not start today and shld not be confused with the cartoon issue.

Before you obfuscate the issue, let's backtrack.

I stated that the issue in northern Nigeria is beyond Nigeria's borders.  You disagreed, saying nobody was killed anywhere else in the world.

I then gave you a list of places where people did get killed over the cartoon issue (Libya, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, Indonesia, etc).

You retorted, saying people who died in those places I listed are not innocent.  C'mon!

Your effort to sidetrack us, by saying the killings in the middle east had nothing do with the cartoons is utter rubbish.  It's all over the net.  If you disagree, then let's get into producing references to back our individual position.  I can supply you with dozens of references.  If you can't match that number, you lose.

in fact me refuse to be drawn into arguments with those who only browse google and think they know it all!!!

You can't refuse to argue, that is the oldest trick in the book.  You're in this already, and you're a coward if you flee. 

I can hear people laughing while reading your dim-witted statement "those who only browse google and think they know it all".  Where else are you supposed to find information online if not the search engines?  Please.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by axeprince(m): 9:55am On Feb 23, 2006
hmmm sad, It's so so sad, I don't even know where to start from,

It is easier for all of us to be doing a lot of talking based on what we heard from our Fathers, and what we percieved to be true, especially when we are not on ground to make accessments for ourselves.

I have an unfortunate luck of being on hand(Live) when the "wahala" started in Bauchi, and you don't have any option but to wonder "what this is all about?"

True, this is not about North or South of Middle, this is about "Illiteracy" at it's most sorry(iest) state, You people living abroad should know better than to be sharing this kind of opinion, you find out that Hausa Men are marrying from other tribes as soon as tehy step out of these shores.

This is all political, I can tell, I am there, Still in Bauchi.

There are Xtians here who are true true Hausas, they are not spared, there is a curfew, but a man was arrested yesternight(by Hausa Xtians) late in the night for dropping off Handbills warning of "another attack" this morning, Gratefully, He was arrested and in thePolice station right now(I hope Seun would be satisfied with that).

Let us keep praying for the light for the illeterate fools amongst us to "see the light" and stop following some fools in the name of Religious fanatism.

This thing is more deeper than what we see, Only god can see us through
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 5:22pm On Feb 23, 2006
@axeprince

Thanks for that report.

I grew up in the north myself, and speak Hausa fluently. So I know how divided Nigeria is. It's like oil and water. They don't mix.

I don't know that there ever can be a one Nigeria. Hausas are too stubborn when it comes to Islam. I've heard Hausas say there is no true Hausaman that is a christian. That is how fanatical they are about the religion.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by 9ijaMan: 3:30am On Feb 25, 2006
axe prince,
I could not but agree with you that the main problem of the north is basically the issue of education. Taking a peep back into the Kaduna riot which grounded the coty a few years ago, I was shocked to have observed that in areas where the learned and educated were residing (majorly) not even a single pebble was throw even though xtians and Muslinas were residig side by side. Typical example is Ungwan Rimi (high brow area).
However the highest level of the mayhem was recorded in all the slums and ghettos where most destitutes were staying.
This is a pointer to the fact that the idle mind is where the most devilish acts dwell in. Hence the main solution to the incesant crisses in the north is for the leaders to engage in massive education and enlightenment programs.
An average working class hausa man will only have time to think about his job and how to feed his small family.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 5:04am On Feb 25, 2006
Hence the main solution to the incesant crisses in the north is for the leaders to engage in massive education and enlightenment programs.
An average working class hausa man will only have time to think about his job and how to feed his small family.

Solid points.

However, I doubt that such education could ever happen.

They are not interested in anything you have to say, unless you're a muslim. Period.

And if you're not a muslim, you're a condemned infidel who should die.

What makes this whole Islam thing worse is that there is the belief that if a muslim kills an infidel, he has 70+ virgins waiting for him in paradise. I didn't make that up.

To be frank, I don't know the solution to Nigeria's disunity. I don't see Hausas/Igbos/Yorubas jointly owning businesses, inter-marrying freely, living under the same roof peacefully, etc. We're just too different. But time will tell.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by 9ijaMan: 7:02am On Feb 25, 2006
oasis:

Solid points.

However, I doubt that such education could ever happen.

They are not interested in anything you have to say, unless you're a muslim. Period.

And if you're not a muslim, you're a condemned infidel who should die.

What makes this whole Islam thing worse is that there is the belief that if a muslim kills an infidel, he has 70+ virgins waiting for him in paradise. I didn't make that up.

To be frank, I don't know the solution to Nigeria's disunity. I don't see Hausas/Igbos/Yorubas jointly owning businesses, inter-marrying freely, living under the same roof peacefully, etc. We're just too different. But time will tell.

Oasis,
I'm a muslim and from that part of the country. I'm aware that there have been successful inter tribal marriages which have been quite sucessful. However, I have to make it clear here that you have quoted the issue of 70 virgins completely out of context. The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was reported to have allowed xtians to worship in a mosque when they came to pay him a visit. I would not want to go into rhetorics about what Islam preaches, but I will only state that all the problems from the north is not becasue they are predominantly muslims, but simply becasue they are practicing Islam ignorantly. An ignorant muslim will do more harm to the religion than a learned one.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by 9ijaMan: 7:13am On Feb 25, 2006
Oasis,
Just to buttress my point further. I met a south eastern muslim who resides in the south east some years ago. His house was set ablaze and his family tormented and sent out of his village simply because he became a muslim. To an average south easterner, any one of them who becomes a muslim is not regarded as one of them. I'm not using this to justify why people should kill and maim, but to show that ignorance is a disease which if not cured can cause irreparable damage to a people. I've had the course to interact with people from different parts of the country and candidly speaking all the learned one from the different tribes have been very well mannered and tolerant while often times the unemployed, illiterate ones have been amazingly hot tempered and quick to pick a fight.

The scale of the violence however largely depends on the percentage of the population who are semi literate, illiterate, destitutes and unemployed. I've hardly seen a hardworking literate northerner getting involved in violent attacks.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by oasis: 7:32am On Feb 25, 2006
I'm aware that there have been successful inter tribal marriages which have been quite sucessful.

Sure, you'd find a sprinkle here and there.  I didn't say it doesn't exist, I said "inter-marrying freely".  That means when it comes to marrying someone, you simply pick a partner regardless of tribal affiliations.  Are we going to see that in Nigeria?

I met a south eastern muslim who resides in the south east some years ago. His house was set ablaze and his family tormented and sent out of his village simply because he became a muslim. To an average south easterner, any one of them who becomes a muslim is not regarded as one of them.

I generally stay away from using isolated incidences as basis for an argument.  It's no secret that there is deep-seated animosity between tribes in Nigeria.  Igbos were probably reacting to what Hausas do to them in the north.

I do agree with you whole-heartedly that education of Nigerians would solve a lot of problems.  Education doesn't necessarily mean academic.  It means enlightenment of the people. 

Unfortunately, you can only enlighten people who are willing to listen.  At this time, Hausas aren't listening.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by toshmann(m): 4:32pm On Feb 26, 2006
u see, this finally sums up the root of all this crises. UNEMPLOYMENT. that is why an able bodies strong young man who has no job after graduation can do anything.gets annoyed easily.and can be violent. the youth in the country are a wasted generation. if there were jobs they would all be thinking about their jobs and not looking for someone to kill.

unfortunately for them, their govt is thinking of 3rd term. and the idle youth now fall prey easily to temptations of violence. see the result?
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by Mariory(m): 11:28pm On Feb 26, 2006
toshmann:

u see, this finally sums up the root of all this crises. UNEMPLOYMENT. that is why an able bodies strong young man who has no job after graduation can do anything.gets annoyed easily.and can be violent. the youth in the country are a wasted generation. if there were jobs they would all be thinking about their jobs and not looking for someone to kill.

unfortunately for them, their govt is thinking of 3rd term. and the idle youth now fall prey easily to temptations of violence. see the result?

It is so easy to take things out of context. You do realiase that the thrid term agenda is just one of HUNDREADS of things being discussed at the public hearings right? If they don't discuss 3rd term, then one camp will complain that there is no Demorcracy. So let them talk. It is up to the National Assembly to reject it.
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by toshmann(m): 1:44pm On Feb 27, 2006
democracy naija style. that's why we don't move forward. we hate to say the truth. somebody has been rigged into office and he wants to change the constitution to suit him.hmmmmn,this country is moving backwards. i no know wetin go happen soon but it does'nt look good
Re: President Of The Christian Association Of Nigeria Reacts by tumfulu1: 7:40pm On Dec 24, 2009
what happened after?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Terrorism: Made In USA / Open Invitation To Meet The First Lady, Her Excellency Hajia Turai Yar Adua / Pictures Of Yar Adua At The G8 Summit - More Pictures Added

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.